If there is no wind, row. -- Polish proverb

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

SubjectAuthor
* Dublin Coddle at the Pitfos
+* Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pititsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
|`- Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pitfos
`* Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pitbruce bowser
 `* Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pitfos
  `* Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pitdsi1
   +* Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pitfos
   |+* Re: Dublin Coddle at the PitCindy Hamilton
   ||`* Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pitbruce bowser
   || `- Re: Dublin Coddle at the PitBruce
   |`- Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pitdsi1
   `* Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pitbruce bowser
    `- Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pitdsi1

1
Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<slrntim4ep.rlj.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221854&group=rec.food.cooking#221854

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Subject: Dublin Coddle at the Pit
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:30:01 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:30 UTC

made a German / Irish stew of sorts in a dutch oven over a campfire this
past weekend. yeah, i know, it's wednesday. life happens and it's busy.
finished the leftovers in the last photo last night.

recipe:

6 bratwursts
1 large onion
8 oz bacon chopped in half inch pieces
1 pint chicken stock
1 pint apple juice
2 tbs dried thyme or marjoram
2 tbs dried parsley
3-4 lb potatoes, quartered
1 bottle Bully Hill Reisling Bass wine

brown brats and remove from pot. cook bacon, don't make crispy, remove
from pot. reserve enough bacon fat to saute onion and do it. remove
onion. cut brats in bite size pieces. layer ingredients in pot. some
brat pieces, some potatoes, some onion, some bacon, some dried
seasonings, repeat until finished. add liquids, cover, and simmer until
potatoes are done. enjoy drinking the wine while doing it.

https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22807
https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22808
https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22809
https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22810

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<5623a1f1-c454-424b-9f9a-8cbb04671080n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=221906&group=rec.food.cooking#221906

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 14:39:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 21:39 UTC

On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 8:30:07 AM UTC-5, f...@sdf.org wrote:

> made a German / Irish stew of sorts in a dutch oven over a campfire this
> past weekend. yeah, i know, it's wednesday. life happens and it's busy.
> finished the leftovers in the last photo last night.
>
> recipe:
>
> 6 bratwursts
> 1 large onion
> 8 oz bacon chopped in half inch pieces
> 1 pint chicken stock
> 1 pint apple juice
> 2 tbs dried thyme or marjoram
> 2 tbs dried parsley
> 3-4 lb potatoes, quartered
> 1 bottle Bully Hill Reisling Bass wine
>

> brown brats and remove from pot. cook bacon, don't make crispy, remove
> from pot. reserve enough bacon fat to saute onion and do it. remove
> onion. cut brats in bite size pieces. layer ingredients in pot. some
> brat pieces, some potatoes, some onion, some bacon, some dried
> seasonings, repeat until finished. add liquids, cover, and simmer until
> potatoes are done. enjoy drinking the wine while doing it.
>
> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22807
> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22808
> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22809
> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22810
>
> f...@sdf.org
> SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Looks good to me!!

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<slrntiol7g.crh.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222030&group=rec.food.cooking#222030

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:28:32 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:28 UTC

On 2022-09-21, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net <itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 8:30:07 AM UTC-5, f...@sdf.org wrote:

>> made a German / Irish stew of sorts in a dutch oven over a campfire this
>> past weekend. yeah, i know, it's wednesday. life happens and it's busy.
>> finished the leftovers in the last photo last night.
>> recipe:
>> 6 bratwursts
>> 1 large onion
>> 8 oz bacon chopped in half inch pieces
>> 1 pint chicken stock
>> 1 pint apple juice
>> 2 tbs dried thyme or marjoram
>> 2 tbs dried parsley
>> 3-4 lb potatoes, quartered
>> 1 bottle Bully Hill Reisling Bass wine
>> brown brats and remove from pot. cook bacon, don't make crispy, remove
>> from pot. reserve enough bacon fat to saute onion and do it. remove
>> onion. cut brats in bite size pieces. layer ingredients in pot. some
>> brat pieces, some potatoes, some onion, some bacon, some dried
>> seasonings, repeat until finished. add liquids, cover, and simmer until
>> potatoes are done. enjoy drinking the wine while doing it.
>> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22807
>> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22808
>> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22809
>> https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1029&pid=22810

> Looks good to me!!

thanks. it was. twice!

:)

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<e6eebc4c-7899-40cd-8ace-24f835812fdan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222075&group=rec.food.cooking#222075

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:38:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:38 UTC

On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 9:30:07 AM UTC-4, f...@sdf.org wrote:
> made a German / Irish stew of sorts in a dutch oven over a campfire this
> past weekend. yeah, i know, it's wednesday. life happens and it's busy.
> finished the leftovers in the last photo last night.
>
> recipe:
>
> 6 bratwursts
> 1 large onion
> 8 oz bacon chopped in half inch pieces
> 1 pint chicken stock
> 1 pint apple juice
> 2 tbs dried thyme or marjoram
> 2 tbs dried parsley
> 3-4 lb potatoes, quartered
> 1 bottle Bully Hill Reisling Bass wine
>

> brown brats and remove from pot. cook bacon, don't make crispy, remove
> from pot. reserve enough bacon fat to saute onion and do it. remove
> onion. cut brats in bite size pieces. layer ingredients in pot. some
> brat pieces, some potatoes, some onion, some bacon, some dried
> seasonings, repeat until finished. add liquids, cover, and simmer until
> potatoes are done. enjoy drinking the wine while doing it.

The bangers and potatoes are good during March.

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<slrntir9le.k52.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222234&group=rec.food.cooking#222234

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 12:29:34 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 12:29 UTC

On 2022-09-22, bruce bowser <bruce2bowser@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 9:30:07 AM UTC-4, f...@sdf.org wrote:
>> made a German / Irish stew of sorts in a dutch oven over a campfire this
>> past weekend. yeah, i know, it's wednesday. life happens and it's busy.
>> finished the leftovers in the last photo last night.
>> recipe:
>> 6 bratwursts
>> 1 large onion
>> 8 oz bacon chopped in half inch pieces
>> 1 pint chicken stock
>> 1 pint apple juice
>> 2 tbs dried thyme or marjoram
>> 2 tbs dried parsley
>> 3-4 lb potatoes, quartered
>> 1 bottle Bully Hill Reisling Bass wine

>> brown brats and remove from pot. cook bacon, don't make crispy, remove
>> from pot. reserve enough bacon fat to saute onion and do it. remove
>> onion. cut brats in bite size pieces. layer ingredients in pot. some
>> brat pieces, some potatoes, some onion, some bacon, some dried
>> seasonings, repeat until finished. add liquids, cover, and simmer until
>> potatoes are done. enjoy drinking the wine while doing it.

> The bangers and potatoes are good during March.

absolutely a must have in march. corned beef and cabbage with green
mashed garlic potatoes happens on St. Patty's day without fail though.

it's also great on very cool evenings at a campfire using brats instead
of bangers for a bit of German flair.

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<290a1188-40ce-4863-b80b-95646631b520n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222352&group=rec.food.cooking#222352

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 16:56:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 23:56 UTC

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 2:29:40 AM UTC-10, f...@sdf.org wrote:
> On 2022-09-22, bruce bowser <bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 9:30:07 AM UTC-4, f...@sdf.org wrote:
> >> made a German / Irish stew of sorts in a dutch oven over a campfire this
> >> past weekend. yeah, i know, it's wednesday. life happens and it's busy..
> >> finished the leftovers in the last photo last night.
>
> >> recipe:
>
> >> 6 bratwursts
> >> 1 large onion
> >> 8 oz bacon chopped in half inch pieces
> >> 1 pint chicken stock
> >> 1 pint apple juice
> >> 2 tbs dried thyme or marjoram
> >> 2 tbs dried parsley
> >> 3-4 lb potatoes, quartered
> >> 1 bottle Bully Hill Reisling Bass wine
>

> >> brown brats and remove from pot. cook bacon, don't make crispy, remove
> >> from pot. reserve enough bacon fat to saute onion and do it. remove
> >> onion. cut brats in bite size pieces. layer ingredients in pot. some
> >> brat pieces, some potatoes, some onion, some bacon, some dried
> >> seasonings, repeat until finished. add liquids, cover, and simmer until
> >> potatoes are done. enjoy drinking the wine while doing it.
>
> > The bangers and potatoes are good during March.
> absolutely a must have in march. corned beef and cabbage with green
> mashed garlic potatoes happens on St. Patty's day without fail though.
>
> it's also great on very cool evenings at a campfire using brats instead
> of bangers for a bit of German flair.
> --
> f...@sdf.org
> SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

This morning I had bangers and kim chee fried rice at a recently opened restaurant. These were side orders so they brought them in small plates. They could have stuck it in one big plate but they didn't. They cut the bangers in half lengthwise to cook it. I wish they didn't do that. That sort of messes them up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mrWBV9a8iv3i3eK4A

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<slrntitpjv.f10.fos@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222471&group=rec.food.cooking#222471

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:14:07 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:14 UTC

On 2022-09-23, dsi1 <dsi123@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 2:29:40 AM UTC-10, f...@sdf.org wrote:
>>> The bangers and potatoes are good during March.

>> absolutely a must have in march. corned beef and cabbage with green
>> mashed garlic potatoes happens on St. Patty's day without fail though.
>> it's also great on very cool evenings at a campfire using brats instead
>> of bangers for a bit of German flair.

> This morning I had bangers and kim chee fried rice at a recently opened restaurant. These were side orders so they brought them in small plates. They could have stuck it in one big plate but they didn't. They cut the bangers in half lengthwise to cook it. I wish they didn't do that. That sort of messes them up.

> https://photos.app.goo.gl/mrWBV9a8iv3i3eK4A

that looks really good.

to clarify, when i say bangers i'm referring to English bangers proper.
seems a lot of people use the term for sausage in general. i get them
made fresh at a butcher and simmer them in water to cook. occasionally
i'll brown them a bit after simmering but they don't really need it,
they taste great without it.

the bratwurst in the photos above are Johnsonville brand.

--
fos@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<%qDXK.231830$PRW4.32737@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222482&group=rec.food.cooking#222482

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:16:43 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:16 UTC

On 2022-09-24, fos@sdf.org <fos@sdf.org> wrote:
> On 2022-09-23, dsi1 <dsi123@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
> to clarify, when i say bangers i'm referring to English bangers proper.

Indeed. If there isn't a bunch of cereal filler, it's not a banger.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<89bab398-5914-4d06-978d-ce3fabe545e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222526&group=rec.food.cooking#222526

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 10:11:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 17:11 UTC

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 1:14:14 AM UTC-10, f...@sdf.org wrote:
> On 2022-09-23, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

> >> absolutely a must have in march. corned beef and cabbage with green
> >> mashed garlic potatoes happens on St. Patty's day without fail though.
>
> >> it's also great on very cool evenings at a campfire using brats instead
> >> of bangers for a bit of German flair.
> > This morning I had bangers and kim chee fried rice at a recently opened restaurant. These were side orders so they brought them in small plates. They could have stuck it in one big plate but they didn't. They cut the bangers in half lengthwise to cook it. I wish they didn't do that. That sort of messes them up.
>
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/mrWBV9a8iv3i3eK4A
> that looks really good.
>
> to clarify, when i say bangers i'm referring to English bangers proper.
> seems a lot of people use the term for sausage in general. i get them
> made fresh at a butcher and simmer them in water to cook. occasionally
> i'll brown them a bit after simmering but they don't really need it,
> they taste great without it.
>
> the bratwurst in the photos above are Johnsonville brand.
> --
> f...@sdf.org
> SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

These are called "Scottish Bangers." I first had them as a kid. I used to think they were a little weird but these days, they are an old time treat. They contain bread crumbs. I'd rather have a banger rather than a Portuguese, Filipino, or pork, sausage. As it goes, the Scots did play a role in Hawaii history.

https://kitchenforager.blogspot.com/2008/12/miko-scottish-bangers-breakfast-of.html

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<618bbfd0-e797-4431-8b98-e92bba531955n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222534&group=rec.food.cooking#222534

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:25:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 18:25 UTC

On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 7:56:20 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 2:29:40 AM UTC-10, f...@sdf.org wrote:

> > > The bangers and potatoes are good during March.
> > absolutely a must have in march. corned beef and cabbage with green
> > mashed garlic potatoes happens on St. Patty's day without fail though.
> >
> > it's also great on very cool evenings at a campfire using brats instead
> > of bangers for a bit of German flair.
> > --
> > f...@sdf.org
> > SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org
>
> This morning I had bangers and kim chee fried rice at a recently opened restaurant. These were side orders so they brought them in small plates. They could have stuck it in one big plate but they didn't.

Sounds like a real United Nations breakfast to me.

> They cut the bangers in half lengthwise to cook it.

Definitely breakfast style in many places.

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<ed78caa2-f4a1-4265-ab1b-b111ebc016e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222535&group=rec.food.cooking#222535

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:27:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 18:27 UTC

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 9:16:50 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-09-24, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
> > On 2022-09-23, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
> > to clarify, when i say bangers i'm referring to English bangers proper.
>
> Indeed. If there isn't a bunch of cereal filler, it's not a banger.

Its tough to say "these days", because so many places add veggie material to fricadelle, sausage or bangers.

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<55a29c0f-792d-46dd-9605-61e6641e4ccdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222537&group=rec.food.cooking#222537

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 12:01:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 19:01 UTC

On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 8:25:04 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 7:56:20 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > absolutely a must have in march. corned beef and cabbage with green
> > > mashed garlic potatoes happens on St. Patty's day without fail though..
> > >
> > > it's also great on very cool evenings at a campfire using brats instead
> > > of bangers for a bit of German flair.
> > > --
> > > f...@sdf.org

> > > SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org
> >
> > This morning I had bangers and kim chee fried rice at a recently opened restaurant. These were side orders so they brought them in small plates. They could have stuck it in one big plate but they didn't.
> Sounds like a real United Nations breakfast to me.
> > They cut the bangers in half lengthwise to cook it.
> Definitely breakfast style in many places.

It certainly is a fast and easy way to cook up a sausage. OTOH, it changes the basic nature of a banger by drying it out. It's more like a regular sausage than a banger. Here's a breakfast I had last week. These days, I get the senior breakfast. That's the breaks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c2jsEC4MYzCnUKTA9

Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit

<jp947dFto4kU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222542&group=rec.food.cooking#222542

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 05:30:51 +1000
 by: Bruce - Sat, 24 Sep 2022 19:30 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:27:56 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
<bruce2bowser@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 24, 2022 at 9:16:50 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-09-24, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
>> > On 2022-09-23, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>> > to clarify, when i say bangers i'm referring to English bangers proper.
>>
>> Indeed. If there isn't a bunch of cereal filler, it's not a banger.
>
>Its tough to say "these days", because so many places add veggie material to fricadelle, sausage or bangers.

Didn't Subway add tofu instead of chicken? Without telling the poor
carnivores, of course.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Dublin Coddle at the Pit