1 1 was a race-horse, 2 2 was 1 2. When 1 1 1 1 race, 2 2 1 1 2.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Supper?

SubjectAuthor
* Supper?Michael Trew
+* Re: Supper?Bruce
|`* Re: Supper?Michael Trew
| +- Re: Supper?Bruce
| `* Re: Supper?Gary
|  `- Re: Supper?Michael Trew
+- Re: Supper?Michael Trew
+* Re: Supper?Gary
|`* Re: Supper?Dave Smith
| `- Re: Supper?Michael Trew
`* Re: Supper?jmcquown
 `- Re: Supper?Michael Trew

1
Supper?

<7NOXK.329581$wLZ8.318335@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222641&group=rec.food.cooking#222641

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Supper?
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:11:22 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 02:11 UTC

I know this is a little bit late, but perhaps reply with today and
tomorrow's meal? :)

I made Shrimp scampi earlier. I recall someone (not from the United
States) arguing over my definition of "scampi" last time, so let the
arguments begin! Butter/olive oil/wine sauce with minced garlic, add
frozen shrimp, then al dente pasta added in. Seasoned with some
salt/pepper plus red pepper flakes. I think I sprinkled in some garlic
powder also.

Picture: https://postimg.cc/KR1jRKJV

Dinky, cheap Aldi shrimp... plus I didn't realize that they were fully
cooked and frozen, so they definitely shrunk. It was quite good
otherwise; very flavorful! Sophia had a stuffy nose from allergies, so
she didn't complain about the spiciness of the red pepper flakes.

Re: Supper?

<jp9slfF2qe9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222647&group=rec.food.cooking#222647

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Supper?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:27:54 +1000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 02:27 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:11:22 -0400, Michael Trew
<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

>I know this is a little bit late, but perhaps reply with today and
>tomorrow's meal? :)
>
>I made Shrimp scampi earlier. I recall someone (not from the United
>States) arguing over my definition of "scampi" last time, so let the
>arguments begin!

I know that Americans are self-centered people who think foreigners
only speak other languages than English to annoy them, but anyway, did
you have some extra "au jus" with your shrimp scampi?

>Butter/olive oil/wine sauce with minced garlic, add
>frozen shrimp, then al dente pasta added in. Seasoned with some
>salt/pepper plus red pepper flakes. I think I sprinkled in some garlic
>powder also.
>
>Picture: https://postimg.cc/KR1jRKJV
>
>Dinky, cheap Aldi shrimp...

Don't buy Asian shrimp, MAGA instead!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Supper?

<WrPXK.507677$Ny99.418077@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222654&group=rec.food.cooking#222654

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:57:00 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 02:57 UTC

On 9/24/2022 22:43, GM wrote:

> I had Chinese delivery tonight, one of the dishes was stir - fried
> shrimp and long beans...

Chinese delivery seems to be one of your favorites. I don't get Chinese
often, because I don't like to pay for it. That would have hit the spot
earlier, though.

> Autumn is here, the cool weather has me energized for heartier
> cooking. Today I made a big bunch of spicy brown rice with lotsa
> garlic, red curry paste, dried shrooms, etc. Will use as a base for
> work lunches this week, and have some to freeze; will combine with
> fresh veg, tofu, and chicken for different varieties for different
> days...

I can't believe how the first day of Autumn hit, and the weather changed
in a snap, like a light switch flicked! We had high's in the 80's, and
lows in the 60's. Very suddenly, highs are all in the 60's, and lows
are in the 40's. Make it stop!!

A post on Facebook read: "Weather changed from 90 to 55 like it saw a
state trooper"... LOL

> Tomorrow some basic red pasta sauce with snausage... maybe banana
> bread...

Re: Supper?

<9uPXK.507678$Ny99.458256@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222655&group=rec.food.cooking#222655

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:59:23 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 02:59 UTC

On 9/24/2022 22:27, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:11:22 -0400, Michael Trew
> <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> I made Shrimp scampi earlier.
>
> did you have some extra "au jus" with your shrimp scampi?

Actually, no. Usually I do (it's rare that I make this dish), but there
was minimal sauce this time, and it all absorbed/coated the pasta. I'm
not sure what difference that makes in the name/style of the dish.

Re: Supper?

<jp9ut9F32j7U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222659&group=rec.food.cooking#222659

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 13:06:14 +1000
 by: Bruce - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 03:06 UTC

On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:59:23 -0400, Michael Trew
<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/24/2022 22:27, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:11:22 -0400, Michael Trew
>> <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I made Shrimp scampi earlier.
>>
>> did you have some extra "au jus" with your shrimp scampi?
>
>Actually, no. Usually I do (it's rare that I make this dish), but there
>was minimal sauce this time, and it all absorbed/coated the pasta. I'm
>not sure what difference that makes in the name/style of the dish.

Maybe "Shrimp Scampi Sans Au Jus"?

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Supper?

<tgpggj$3anms$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222697&group=rec.food.cooking#222697

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:10:58 -0400
 by: Gary - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:10 UTC

On 9/24/2022 10:59 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 22:27, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2022 22:11:22 -0400, Michael Trew
>> <michael.trew@att.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I made Shrimp scampi earlier.
>>
>> did you have some extra "au jus" with your shrimp scampi?
>
> Actually, no.  Usually I do (it's rare that I make this dish), but there
> was minimal sauce this time, and it all absorbed/coated the pasta.  I'm
> not sure what difference that makes in the name/style of the dish.

To keep a pasta based dish moist with some "jus," don't stop the cooking
at "al dente" because that will absorb your sauce and leave it dry.

IMO, better to fully cook the pasta and even let it sit in the hot water
for a bit to fully hydrate before draining. Then add your sauce or whatever.

I'm just offering an alt way to prepare a pasta dish. Al dente pasta has
never impressed me.

I even reserve a little of the starchy cooking water until the leftovers
have cooled, just in case it ends up being a bit dry.

Re: Supper?

<tgpgi4$3anms$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222700&group=rec.food.cooking#222700

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:11:48 -0400
 by: Gary - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:11 UTC

On 9/24/2022 10:11 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I know this is a little bit late, but perhaps reply with today and
> tomorrow's meal?  :)
>
> I made Shrimp scampi earlier.  I recall someone (not from the United
> States) arguing over my definition of "scampi" last time, so let the
> arguments begin!  Butter/olive oil/wine sauce with minced garlic, add
> frozen shrimp, then al dente pasta added in.  Seasoned with some
> salt/pepper plus red pepper flakes.  I think I sprinkled in some garlic
> powder also.
>
> Picture:  https://postimg.cc/KR1jRKJV
>
> Dinky, cheap Aldi shrimp... plus I didn't realize that they were fully
> cooked and frozen, so they definitely shrunk.  It was quite good
> otherwise; very flavorful!

Looks like what is AKA "popcorn shrimp." About 50-60 count.
I prefer the 30-40 count size but not criticizing your dish at all.

Re: Supper?

<tgpip9$32nar$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222709&group=rec.food.cooking#222709

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 08:49:44 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:49 UTC

On 9/24/2022 10:11 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> I know this is a little bit late, but perhaps reply with today and
> tomorrow's meal?  :)

Last night was salmon patties/cakes with pan-roasted corn.

> I made Shrimp scampi earlier.  I recall someone (not from the United
> States) arguing over my definition of "scampi" last time, so let the
> arguments begin!  Butter/olive oil/wine sauce with minced garlic, add
> frozen shrimp, then al dente pasta added in.  Seasoned with some
> salt/pepper plus red pepper flakes.  I think I sprinkled in some garlic
> powder also.
>
> Picture:  https://postimg.cc/KR1jRKJV
>
> Dinky, cheap Aldi shrimp... plus I didn't realize that they were fully
> cooked and frozen, so they definitely shrunk.  It was quite good
> otherwise; very flavorful!  Sophia had a stuffy nose from allergies, so
> she didn't complain about the spiciness of the red pepper flakes.

I'm glad it turned out well and that the already fully cooked shrimp
didn't turn to rubber. :)

Today I'll be making a spicy multi-bean soup. Except for a handful of
frozen cut green beans this soup calls for canned beans. This is a
"throw everything in the crockpot (on LOW) and forget about it" soup,
until at least an hour before you want to eat. At that point I add 1/4
c. of pearled barley and let it go. The barley lends a slightly
different texture to the soup.

This time around I'm using one 15.5 can each of: black beans, navy
beans, dark red kidney beans, garbanzo beans, great northern beans and
the frozen cut green beans. Beef broth, chili powder, a little cayenne
pepper, some garlic powder and dried basil and a few dashes of red
pepper sauce. (I'm not at all picky about it, I think what I have in
the fridge is a generic "Louisiana" hot sauce.)

I'm also planning to cook a couple of flounder fillets. They've been
thawing (well wrapped) in the refrigerator overnight. I haven't decided
whether to cook them in the oven or on the stove-top nor on the
vegetable side. It's early. :)

Jill

Re: Supper?

<kiYXK.371138$SAT4.12035@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222711&group=rec.food.cooking#222711

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 09:01:04 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 13:01 UTC

On 2022-09-25 8:11 a.m., Gary wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 10:11 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> I know this is a little bit late, but perhaps reply with today and
>> tomorrow's meal?  :)
>>
>> I made Shrimp scampi earlier.  I recall someone (not from the United
>> States) arguing over my definition of "scampi" last time, so let the
>> arguments begin!  Butter/olive oil/wine sauce with minced garlic, add
>> frozen shrimp, then al dente pasta added in.  Seasoned with some
>> salt/pepper plus red pepper flakes.  I think I sprinkled in some
>> garlic powder also.
>>
>> Picture:  https://postimg.cc/KR1jRKJV
>>
>> Dinky, cheap Aldi shrimp... plus I didn't realize that they were fully
>> cooked and frozen, so they definitely shrunk.  It was quite good
>> otherwise; very flavorful!
>
> Looks like what is AKA "popcorn shrimp." About 50-60 count.
> I prefer the 30-40 count size but not criticizing your dish at all.

I frequently make a shrimp and pasta dish, but apparently quite
differently than Michael does his. I use larger shrimp, closer to 20
count, never pre-cooked, and I use a lot of garlic. I sautee the 3-4
cloves of garlic some chopped red pepper and a good pinch of dried chili
in olive olive oil and then throw in the shrimp and cook them until they
are just done. The pasta should be ready to go by the time the shrimps
are done. Toss them together along with some chopped parsley and then
grate a little Parmesan over it.

Re: Supper?

<yl5YK.509131$Ny99.491483@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222847&group=rec.food.cooking#222847

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:18:53 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 23:18 UTC

On 9/25/2022 9:01, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-09-25 8:11 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> On 9/24/2022 10:11 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>>>
>>> Picture: https://postimg.cc/KR1jRKJV
>>>
>>> Dinky, cheap Aldi shrimp...
>> Looks like what is AKA "popcorn shrimp." About 50-60 count.
>> I prefer the 30-40 count size but not criticizing your dish at all.
>>
> I frequently make a shrimp and pasta dish, but apparently quite
> differently than Michael does his. I use larger shrimp, closer to 20
> count, never pre-cooked, and I use a lot of garlic. I sautee the 3-4
> cloves of garlic some chopped red pepper and a good pinch of dried chili
> in olive olive oil and then throw in the shrimp and cook them until they
> are just done. The pasta should be ready to go by the time the shrimps
> are done. Toss them together along with some chopped parsley and then
> grate a little Parmesan over it.

That's not drastically different, but somewhat. I used a mix of butter
and olive oil to sautee the garlic with seasoning and red pepper flakes.
I used at least 6 small garlic cloves. No chili, too spicy for my
daughter. Throw the finished pasta in (done at the same time).

A recipe that I once read, and base mine off of, throws a good few
splashes of dry wine in. Do you omit that step? I might grab the
bigger shrimp next time. The "precooked" shrimp was an accident.

Re: Supper?

<9p5YK.199447$elEa.118207@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222849&group=rec.food.cooking#222849

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:22:45 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 23:22 UTC

On 9/25/2022 8:49, jmcquown wrote:

> I'm glad it turned out well and that the already fully cooked shrimp
> didn't turn to rubber. :)

They were just on the verge of turning to rubber. They shrunk somewhat,
and the texture wasn't great. I will pay more attention to the
packaging next time. The taste was great. I think the left overs will
be used up tomorrow for sure!

> Today I'll be making a spicy multi-bean soup. Except for a handful of
> frozen cut green beans this soup calls for canned beans. This is a
> "throw everything in the crockpot (on LOW) and forget about it" soup,
> until at least an hour before you want to eat. At that point I add 1/4
> c. of pearled barley and let it go. The barley lends a slightly
> different texture to the soup.

Ooh, now that sounds good! I don't think that I've ever made soup that
didn't have diced onions in it, however. (I think I recall you not
normally buying whole onions?)

Re: Supper?

<Dq5YK.199448$elEa.179357@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222852&group=rec.food.cooking#222852

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 19:24:19 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 23:24 UTC

On 9/25/2022 8:10, Gary wrote:
> On 9/24/2022 10:59 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 9/24/2022 22:27, Bruce wrote:

>>> did you have some extra "au jus" with your shrimp scampi?
>>
>> Actually, no. Usually I do (it's rare that I make this dish), but
>> there was minimal sauce this time, and it all absorbed/coated the
>> pasta. I'm not sure what difference that makes in the name/style of
>> the dish.
>
> To keep a pasta based dish moist with some "jus," don't stop the cooking
> at "al dente" because that will absorb your sauce and leave it dry.
>
> IMO, better to fully cook the pasta and even let it sit in the hot water
> for a bit to fully hydrate before draining. Then add your sauce or
> whatever.
>
> I'm just offering an alt way to prepare a pasta dish. Al dente pasta has
> never impressed me.
>
> I even reserve a little of the starchy cooking water until the leftovers
> have cooled, just in case it ends up being a bit dry.

I've done that before. I aim for more firm pasta, because I have a
knack of overcooking pasta, and I don't like it mushy. There's a fine
line between al dente and overcooked (in my experience). I did notice
that the dish absorbed all of the sauce, but it still tastes great.
I'll splash in a bit of water when reheating.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Supper?