From: technoba...@gmail.com (Technobarbarian)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Best Beach in America?
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:45:08 -0700
 by: Technobarbarian - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 03:45 UTC

These dweebs have no idea where the best beach in America is.

"You don?t have to travel far this spring to visit one of the best
beaches in the entire country, at least according to a new ranking from
the website Dive In Travel.

The ranking names Venice Beach in California the best beach to visit
this spring, but in the second spot, the website picked an Oregon
favorite, Cannon Beach."

https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/2024/04/this-oregon-beach-is-named-
second-best-in-the-country-to-visit-this-spring.html

Unless you're really fond of crowds and hunting for parking spots
neither of those beaches is particularly attractive. There aren't many
beach towns in Oregon with more no parking signs than Cannon beach. I'd
pick just about any beach in Oregon over Cannon beach. I'll bet that
even Texas has some beaches that are nicer than either of those two.

TB

Re: Best Beach in America?

<uup0r8$1dt9b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22222&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22222

From: ganth...@gmail.net (George.Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Subject: Re: Best Beach in America?
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 14:11:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:XMh5szBQ8fGX6Xlf6Ov4JAAQPSY=
 by: George.Anthony - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 14:11 UTC

Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:

> These dweebs have no idea where the best beach in America is.
>
> "You don?t have to travel far this spring to visit one of the best
> beaches in the entire country, at least according to a new ranking from
> the website Dive In Travel.
>
> The ranking names Venice Beach in California the best beach to visit
> this spring, but in the second spot, the website picked an Oregon
> favorite, Cannon Beach."
>
> https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/2024/04/this-oregon-beach-is-named-
> second-best-in-the-country-to-visit-this-spring.html
>
> Unless you're really fond of crowds and hunting for parking spots
> neither of those beaches is particularly attractive. There aren't many
> beach towns in Oregon with more no parking signs than Cannon beach. I'd
> pick just about any beach in Oregon over Cannon beach. I'll bet that
> even Texas has some beaches that are nicer than either of those two.
>
> TB

Probably.

--
If you are better off today than you were three years ago, you are probably
an illegal alien.

Re: Best Beach in America?

<uvi04b$3tvb7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22264&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22264

From: use...@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 01:33:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 01:33 UTC

In article <MPG.407913885e061c08989774@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless you're really fond of crowds and hunting for parking spots
>neither of those beaches is particularly attractive. There aren't many
>beach towns in Oregon with more no parking signs than Cannon beach. I'd
>pick just about any beach in Oregon over Cannon beach. I'll bet that
>even Texas has some beaches that are nicer than either of those two.

Crowds is a big negative. A bigger negative for me is water
so cold that I'd expire of hypothermia in five minutes,
which rules out any beaches at least from Carmel, CA northward.

I grew up near Pensacola, so the sorts of beaches I grew up
with were Gulf Shores, AL, Pensacola Beach, and a bit east
of there. Every beach I've ever been to (with the exception
of Hawaii, of which getting to is distinctly non-RV-friendly)
has been a huge disappointment.

I have heard good things about Padre Island Texas; it's on
my bucket list.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Re: Best Beach in America?

<uvjd5l$ap1q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22267&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22267

From: ganth...@gmail.org (George Anthony)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:21:40 -0500
 by: George Anthony - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 14:21 UTC

On 4/14/2024 8:33 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article <MPG.407913885e061c08989774@reader80.eternal-september.org>,
> Technobarbarian <technobarbarian@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unless you're really fond of crowds and hunting for parking spots
>> neither of those beaches is particularly attractive. There aren't many
>> beach towns in Oregon with more no parking signs than Cannon beach. I'd
>> pick just about any beach in Oregon over Cannon beach. I'll bet that
>> even Texas has some beaches that are nicer than either of those two.
>
> Crowds is a big negative. A bigger negative for me is water
> so cold that I'd expire of hypothermia in five minutes,
> which rules out any beaches at least from Carmel, CA northward.
>
> I grew up near Pensacola, so the sorts of beaches I grew up
> with were Gulf Shores, AL, Pensacola Beach, and a bit east
> of there. Every beach I've ever been to (with the exception
> of Hawaii, of which getting to is distinctly non-RV-friendly)
> has been a huge disappointment.
>
> I have heard good things about Padre Island Texas; it's on
> my bucket list.

Beautiful beach, however I don't partake of the swimming <grin>. If you
are into birding it's a good location for that. Understandably, it does
get crowded during the summer months - which is a good thing because it
probably keeps PATB away.

Re: Best Beach in America?

<uvjksp$cn6q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22268&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22268

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 11:33:28 -0500
 by: sticks - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:33 UTC

On 4/14/2024 8:33 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:

> Crowds is a big negative. A bigger negative for me is water
> so cold that I'd expire of hypothermia in five minutes,
> which rules out any beaches at least from Carmel, CA northward.

Crowded beaches were fun when I was younger and craving beautiful female
bods to look at. Now they're just annoying.
We like going to Sheboygan Wisconsin to Kohler-Andrae State Park on Lake
Michigan. Last year it was a little cold the times we were there, just
barely getting over 60F. The atmosphere is fantastic, though. Normal
people, mostly families, all kind of ethnic groups, but no rowdiness.
Rarely does it get crowded.

> I grew up near Pensacola, so the sorts of beaches I grew up
> with were Gulf Shores, AL, Pensacola Beach, and a bit east
> of there. Every beach I've ever been to (with the exception
> of Hawaii, of which getting to is distinctly non-RV-friendly)
> has been a huge disappointment.

Was at Panama city Beach two years ago in mid April. I was surprised,
we actually really enjoyed it. Temps were in the low 70's in the water,
and swimming was good if you're not afraid and know how to handle the
rip tides.
This year we were down closer to Tamps in the end of February. Waters
were a little colder, even in the gulf, than I liked. Didn't go all in,
but just got the ankles wet.
Treasure Island beach north end of St. Pete Beach was a nice place to
spend a few hours. Huge beach with miles of walking along the coast. I
think it probably gets a lot more crowded than when we were there, but
it wasn't crowded at all in February.
We decided to try Honeymoon Island, which is a little north of
Clearwater. You have to cross the Dunedin Causeway to get there, and
there is a small fee IIRC. Huge parking lots that could hold a bunch of
vehicles. Getting to the beach, it was apparent this is where the
locals go hang out, sipping their hidden adult beverage of choice. The
area around the parking lots and about 1/4 mile north out was jam
packed. We started hiking north along the shore and after about 1/2
mile we had the place to ourselves. It was just gorgeous. Went about
3.5-4 miles to the tip of the island and back and hardly saw anyone.
Mangroves and even a pine forest hidden up there. A really nice day.

> I have heard good things about Padre Island Texas; it's on
> my bucket list.

In the late 70's I was tenting out of a Honda 750 and made my way to
Galveston. I don't know if you can still do it there, but you could
actually drive right out onto the beach. I had never seen that before
and thought it was pretty wild.

--
Stand With Israel!

Re: Best Beach in America?

<uvnn7q$1e8lu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22281&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22281

From: use...@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 05:38:02 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: mike@Mike-Laptop.localdomain (Mike-Laptop)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 05:38 UTC

In article <uvjksp$cn6q$1@dont-email.me>,
sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> wrote:
>> I have heard good things about Padre Island Texas; it's on
>> my bucket list.
>
>In the late 70's I was tenting out of a Honda 750 and made my way to
>Galveston. I don't know if you can still do it there, but you could
>actually drive right out onto the beach. I had never seen that before
>and thought it was pretty wild.

Around 1977, when I lived in Houston, I went to Galveston a few
times. I wasn't too impressed with the beach. True, Florida/
Alabama Gulf Coast is a hard act to follow, but the tar balls...
yecch. I hope they've cleaned that up since.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston

Re: Best Beach in America?

<uvok8f$1kpro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=22282&group=rec.outdoors.rv-travel#22282

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.rv-travel
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:53:19 -0500
 by: sticks - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:53 UTC

On 4/17/2024 12:38 AM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article <uvjksp$cn6q$1@dont-email.me>,
> sticks <wolverine01@charter.net> wrote:
>>> I have heard good things about Padre Island Texas; it's on
>>> my bucket list.
>>
>> In the late 70's I was tenting out of a Honda 750 and made my way to
>> Galveston. I don't know if you can still do it there, but you could
>> actually drive right out onto the beach. I had never seen that before
>> and thought it was pretty wild.
>
> Around 1977, when I lived in Houston, I went to Galveston a few
> times. I wasn't too impressed with the beach. True, Florida/
> Alabama Gulf Coast is a hard act to follow, but the tar balls...
> yecch. I hope they've cleaned that up since.

I don't remember the beach being dirty, but the air smelled like
petroleum for miles and miles down there. I remember wondering how
people could live with it all the time.

--
Stand With Israel!