From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: TV news for April 13-20, 2024
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 18:35:36 -0400
Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
 by: Robin Miller - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:35 UTC

ABC news

Phillipa Soo Joins Joshua Jackson & Don Johnson In Ryan Murphy Drama
Series ‘Dr. Odyssey’ For ABC (April 16)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/phillipa-soo-cast-ryan-murphy-abc-1235886285/

ABC Renewal Status Report: ‘The Conners’ & ‘Not Dead Yet’ (April 16)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/abc-canceled-renewed-the-conners-not-dead-yet-1235885992/

‘The Rookie’ Renewed For Season 7 By ABC (April 15)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-rookie-renewed-season-7-abc-nathan-fillion-1235886091/

Don Johnson Joins Joshua Jackson In Ryan Murphy Drama Series ‘Dr.
Odyssey’ For ABC (April 15)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/don-johnson-cast-dr-odyssey-ryan-murphy-abc-1235883620/

CBS news

‘So Help Me Todd’ Creator Reacts To Series Cancellation: “Best
Professional Experience Of My Life” (April 19)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/so-help-me-todd-creator-reacts-cbs-cancellation-skylar-astin-1235890675/

‘CSI: Vegas’ & ‘So Help Me Todd’ Canceled By CBS (April 19)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/csi-vegas-so-help-me-todd-canceled-cbs-1235890517/

CBS Renews ‘Elsbeth’ For Season 2 (April 18)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/cbs-renews-elsbeth-season-2-1235889263/

‘NCIS: Origins’ Casts Daniel Bellomy, Caleb Martin Foote & Robert Taylor
In Recurring Roles (April 18)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/ncis-origins-cast-daniel-bellomy-caleb-martin-foote-robert-taylor-1235889458/

CBS Renewal Status Report: ‘The Equalizer’, ‘NCIS: Hawai’i’, ‘Elsbeth’,
‘CSI: Vegas’ & ‘So Help Me Todd’ (April 17)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/cbs-canceled-renewed-equalizer-ncis-hawaii-elsbeth-csi-vegas-so-help-me-todd-1235887600/

CBS Orders ‘The Gates’ To Series; Daytime Sudser That Centers On A Black
Family To Debut In January (April 15)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/cbs-orders-the-gates-to-series-daytime-soap-premiering-january-2025-1235886082/

CBS To Rebroadcast Billy Joel Concert After ‘Piano Man’ Debacle (April 15)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/billy-joel-cbs-piano-man-1235886032/

CW news

The CW Opts Not To Renew Affiliation Deals With Scripps-Owned Stations
In Seven Markets (April 19)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-cw-affiliation-deals-scripps-stations-broadcast-tv-network-1235890547/

Fox news

Fox Renewal Status Report: ‘The Cleaning Lady’ & ‘Alert’ (April 19)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-cleaning-lady-alert-lone-911-lone-star-fox-renewal-status-1235888678/

Seth MacFarlane On Ending ‘Family Guy’: “I Don’t See A Good Reason To
Stop, People Still Love It” (April 16)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/seth-macfarlane-ending-family-guy-1235887729/

NBC news

NBCUniversal Launches Personalized NextGen TV Broadcasts On Four NBC And
Telemundo Stations (April 15)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/nbcuniversal-personalized-broadcasts-nbc-telemundo-stations-nab-1235886069/

Cable channel news

FX’s ‘Alien’ Series Adds ‘Foundation’ Actress Sandra Yi Sencindiver
(April 19)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/alien-series-noah-hawley-cast-foundation-actress-sandra-yi-sencindiver-weyland-yutani-1235890023/

‘Miss Scarlet’ Casts Tom Durant Pritchard To Fill Void Left By The Duke
[PBS] (April 18)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/miss-scarlet-casts-tom-durant-pritchard-replacing-the-duke-1235889081/

Sterlin Harjo’s FX Pilot ‘The Sensitive Kind’ Adds Five To Cast (April 18)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-sensitive-kind-pilot-adds-killer-mike-four-others-1235889300/

["'The Sensitive Kind' is described as a Tulsa noir about a guy (Ethan
Hawke) who knows too much. As previously announced, Keith David, Siena
East, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Tim Blake Nelson, Scott Shepherd, Tracy Letts,
Kyle Maclachlan and Macon Blair will also star."]

HBO, Bad Wolf Developing ‘Succession’-Level Series On Flamboyant Art
Fraudster Inigo Philbrick (April 18)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/hbo-bad-wolf-adapt-all-that-glitters-inigo-philbrick-1235888858/

‘Somebody Somewhere’ Adds Ólafur Darri Ólafsson To Season 3 Cast On HBO
(April 18)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/somebody-somewhere-casts-olafur-darri-olafsson-season-three-cast-hbo-1235889101/

["the series follows Sam, a true Kansan on the surface, but, beneath it
all, struggling to fit the hometown mold. Grappling with loss and
acceptance, singing is Sam’s saving grace and leads her on a journey to
discover herself and a community of outsiders who don’t fit in but don’t
give up, showing that finding your people, and finding your voice, is
possible. Anywhere. Somewhere. In season three, we see growth against
all odds."]

‘Dying For Sex’ Adds Rob Delaney, David Rasche & Esco Jouléy As
Recurring [FX] (April 17)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/dying-for-sex-rob-delaney-david-rasche-esco-jouley-cast-1235888096/

FX Assembles Cast For ‘Snowflakes’ Comedy Pilot (April 16)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/snowflakes-cast-fx-comedy-pilot-1235887243/

["Snowflakes is a twenty-something ensemble comedy following a group of
codependent housemates — Billie (Freyer), Samir (Elassal), Anton
(Thiele), Issa (Rao) and Paul Baker (Innanen) — trying to be good
people, despite being neither 'good' nor 'people' yet."]

‘Breaking Bad’s Betsy Brandt To EP & Star In Lifetime Movie ‘The Bad
Orphan’ (April 16)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/betsy-brandt-lifetime-movie-the-bad-orphan-1235887101/

Tyler Perry Re-Ups Deal With BET Media, Gets New Seasons For 9 Series,
Including ‘Sistas’ & ‘The Oval’ (April 16)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/tyler-perry-deal-bet-sistas-the-oval-renewed-house-of-payne-assisted-living-1235886435/

CNN’s ‘King Charles’ Ends Its Run With No Plans To Extend Limited Series
(April 15)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/king-charles-cnn-gayle-king-charles-barkley-1235886271/

‘Chucky’ Creator On Potential Season 4: “I Already Pitched It To The
Network” [Syfy] (April 14)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/chucky-creator-season-4-1235885457/

Streaming service news--Apple TV+

Apple Nabs Taffy Brodesser-Akner’s ‘Fleishman Is In Trouble’ Followup
‘Long Island Compromise’ For Series Development (April 18)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/taffy-brodesser-akner-long-island-compromise-apple-series-1235889528/

["'Long Island Compromise' is set nearly forty years after a wealthy
businessman was kidnapped and brutalized before his family paid ransom
for his release. It examines the lasting impact of the ordeal on the
man, his wife and their three grown children and spans the family’s
history, winding through decades and generations and confronting the
mainstays of American Jewish life: tradition, the pursuit of success,
the terror of history, fear of the future, old wives’ tales, evil eyes,
ambition, achievement, boredom, dybbuks, inheritance, pyramid schemes,
right-wing capitalists, beta-blockers, psychics, and the mostly unspoken
love and shared experience that unite a family forever."]

Apple’s ‘Your Friends & Neighbors’ Casts Eunice Bae (April 18)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/your-friends-and-neighbors-cast-eunice-bae-1235888649/

Rashida Jones’ Apple Series ‘Sunny’ Sets Premiere Date; First-Look
Photos Unveiled (April 18)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/rashida-jones-sunny-premiere-date-photos-trailer-apple-1235888730/

["'Sunny' is based on the book 'Dark Manual' by Japan-based
award-winning Irish writer Colin O’Sullivan. Jones stars as Suzie, an
American woman living in Kyoto, Japan, whose life is upended when her
husband and son disappear in a mysterious plane crash. As 'consolation'
she’s given Sunny, one of a new class of domestic robots made by her
husband’s electronics company. Though at first Suzie resents Sunny’s
attempts to fill the void in her life, gradually they develop an
unexpected friendship, as together they uncover the dark truth of what
really happened to Suzie’s family, becoming dangerously enmeshed in a
world Suzie never knew existed."]

‘For All Mankind’ Renewed For Season 5; Apple Expands Universe With
Spinoff Series ‘Star City’ (April 17)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/for-all-mankind-renewed-season-5-apple-tv-spinoff-series-star-city-1235887717/

‘Acapulco’ Trailer Sets Up Competitive Season 3 [Apple TV+] (April 17)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/acapulco-trailer-season-3-1235887736/

Emma Thompson & Ruth Wilson To Star In Apple TV+ Series ‘Down Cemetery
Road’ Based On Book From ‘Slow Horses’ Scribe Mick Herron (April 16)

https://deadline.com/2024/04/down-cemetery-road-emma-thompson-ruth-wilson-to-star-apple-series-1235886108/

["The show centers on Sarah Tucker (Wilson), who becomes obsessed with
finding a neighbor girl who disappeared in the aftermath of a house
explosion in a quiet Oxford suburb. After enlisting the help of private
investigator Zoë Boehm (Thompson) in her quest, the pair find themselves
in a complex conspiracy that reveals that people long believed dead are
still among the living, while the living are fast joining the dead."]

Click here to read the complete article
Re: TV news for April 13-20, 2024

<v01kf8$3u3jd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222864&group=rec.arts.tv#222864

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: TV news for April 13-20, 2024
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:52:08 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 23:52 UTC

On 4/20/24 3:35 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

>     ABC news
>

> Phillipa Soo Joins Joshua Jackson & Don Johnson In Ryan Murphy Drama
> Series ‘Dr. Odyssey’ For ABC  (April 16)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/phillipa-soo-cast-ryan-murphy-abc-1235886285/

Ryan Murphy? - HARD PASS!!

> ‘The Rookie’ Renewed For Season 7 By ABC  (April 15)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-rookie-renewed-season-7-abc-nathan-fillion-1235886091/

I'm sayin' I beat Robin!! ;p

>     CBS news
>

> ‘So Help Me Todd’ Creator Reacts To Series Cancellation: “Best
> Professional Experience Of My Life”  (April 19)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/so-help-me-todd-creator-reacts-cbs-cancellation-skylar-astin-1235890675/
>

> ‘CSI: Vegas’ & ‘So Help Me Todd’ Canceled By CBS  (April 19)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/csi-vegas-so-help-me-todd-canceled-cbs-1235890517/

I might have beaten Robin here too! :)

> CBS Renews ‘Elsbeth’ For Season 2  (April 18)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/cbs-renews-elsbeth-season-2-1235889263/

OTOH, you got me on this one! - I didn't care enough to let Adam know
that his favorite new show would be back...

> CBS Orders ‘The Gates’ To Series; Daytime Sudser That Centers On A Black
> Family To Debut In January  (April 15)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/cbs-orders-the-gates-to-series-daytime-soap-premiering-january-2025-1235886082/

Called it!

> CBS To Rebroadcast Billy Joel Concert After ‘Piano Man’ Debacle  (April 15)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/billy-joel-cbs-piano-man-1235886032/

Bwa ha ha ha ha!!

>     CW news
>

> The CW Opts Not To Renew Affiliation Deals With Scripps-Owned Stations
> In Seven Markets  (April 19)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-cw-affiliation-deals-scripps-stations-broadcast-tv-network-1235890547/

Yeah, gotta love how The CW is spinning this that "they dropped
Scripps!1!" when it is almost certainly the other way around!!

>     Fox news
>

> Seth MacFarlane On Ending ‘Family Guy’: “I Don’t See A Good Reason To
> Stop, People Still Love It”  (April 16)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/seth-macfarlane-ending-family-guy-1235887729/

How about 'cos you've lost the thread?!...

>     NBC news
>

> NBCUniversal Launches Personalized NextGen TV Broadcasts On Four NBC And
> Telemundo Stations  (April 15)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/nbcuniversal-personalized-broadcasts-nbc-telemundo-stations-nab-1235886069/

Yeah, I read this - sounds like much ado about nothing.

>     Cable channel news
>

> Sterlin Harjo’s FX Pilot ‘The Sensitive Kind’ Adds Five To Cast  (April 18)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-sensitive-kind-pilot-adds-killer-mike-four-others-1235889300/
>
> ["'The Sensitive Kind' is described as a Tulsa noir about a guy (Ethan
> Hawke) who knows too much. As previously announced, Keith David, Siena
> East, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Tim Blake Nelson, Scott Shepherd, Tracy Letts,
> Kyle Maclachlan and Macon Blair will also star."]

Good cast. But probably not enough to get me to watch...

> FX Assembles Cast For ‘Snowflakes’ Comedy Pilot  (April 16)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/snowflakes-cast-fx-comedy-pilot-1235887243/
>
> ["Snowflakes is a twenty-something ensemble comedy following a group of
> codependent housemates — Billie (Freyer), Samir (Elassal), Anton
> (Thiele), Issa (Rao) and Paul Baker (Innanen) — trying to be good
> people, despite being neither 'good' nor 'people' yet."]

This sounds like something I'd hate!!

> Tyler Perry Re-Ups Deal With BET Media, Gets New Seasons For 9 Series,
> Including ‘Sistas’ & ‘The Oval’  (April 16)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/tyler-perry-deal-bet-sistas-the-oval-renewed-house-of-payne-assisted-living-1235886435/

[sigh...]

Wake me up when he finally does an "Alex Cross" followup!

>     Streaming service news--Apple TV+
>

> ‘For All Mankind’ Renewed For Season 5; Apple Expands Universe With
> Spinoff Series ‘Star City’  (April 17)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/for-all-mankind-renewed-season-5-apple-tv-spinoff-series-star-city-1235887717/

Still haven't gotten to this, and I have no idea when I will.... [shrug]

> Emma Thompson & Ruth Wilson To Star In Apple TV+ Series ‘Down Cemetery
> Road’ Based On Book From ‘Slow Horses’ Scribe Mick Herron  (April 16)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/down-cemetery-road-emma-thompson-ruth-wilson-to-star-apple-series-1235886108/
>
> ["The show centers on Sarah Tucker (Wilson), who becomes obsessed with
> finding a neighbor girl who disappeared in the aftermath of a house
> explosion in a quiet Oxford suburb. After enlisting the help of private
> investigator Zoë Boehm (Thompson) in her quest, the pair find themselves
> in a complex conspiracy that reveals that people long believed dead are
> still among the living, while the living are fast joining the dead."]

Sounds more like something for PBS...

>     Streaming service news--Disney+
>

> Beatles’ 1970 ‘Let It Be’ Doc Will Stream On Disney+ After Decades In
> Hiding  (April 16)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/beatles-let-it-be-disney-plus-1235886870/

OK?...

>     Streaming service news--Hulu
>

> Margaret Qualley Exits Hulu’s Amanda Knox Limited Series  (April 16)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/margaret-qualley-exits-amanda-knox-limited-series-hulu-1235887303/

Smart move on Qualley's part. My guess is that this project is going
nowhere fast now...

>     Streaming service news--Max
>

> ‘Pretty Little Liars: Summer School’ Drops Season 2 Trailer [Max] (April
> 18)
>
> https://deadline.com/video/pretty-little-liars-summer-school-season-2-trailer/

Anim (bitches!) can catch me up on what happened in season #1!! ;p

> ‘Peacemaker’ Season 2 Starts Filming & James Gunn Shares Photo From The
> Set [Max]  (April 13)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/peacemaker-season-2-starts-filming-james-gunn-photo-set-1235884435/

Cool.

>     Streaming service news--Netflix
>

> Netflix Lands Series ‘Calabasas’ From Kim Kardashian, Marlene King And
> Emma Roberts Following Bidding War  (April 20)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/calabasas-netflix-kim-kardashian-marlene-king-emma-roberts-1235888244/
>
> ["In the vein of The O.C. and Beverly Hills 90210, Calabasas follows
> Via, a 16-year-old sheltered Midwestern Catholic school girl whose world
> is turned upside down when her family moves and she’s forced to transfer
> to the fast world of Calabasas High where nothing is as it appears and
> where everyone is trying to be someone else. It’s a place where dreams
> come true … but not without complications and sometimes unforeseen
> consequences."]

Sounds like a "miss" to me, esp. if Netflix is doing it...

> Abel Gance’s ‘Napoléon,’ Restored Over 16 Years, To Open Cannes Classics
> Before Heading To Netflix  (April 18)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/abel-gance-napoleon-cannes-classics-netflix-1235889370/
>
> ["Celebrated by scholars for its technical and aesthetic innovations,
> [the silent film] 'Napolean' premiered at the Paris Opera on April 7,
> 1927, in the presence of French President Gaston Doumergue before
> embarking on a world tour. The film’s original reels were thereafter
> scattered across the globe, some lost or destroyed. The film was then
> recut — with 22 different versions known to date. 'Napolean' has not
> been shown in its original [seven-hour] version, known as the 'Grande
> Version,' since 1927."]

Geezus - why is this going to Netflix, instead of Max?!!

> ‘The Witcher’ Renewed For 5th & Final Season At Netflix  (April 18)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-witcher-renewed-canceled-end-season-5-1235889124/

Well, good of them to properly end it.
But I am *out* without Cavill.

> Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Series Moves To Netflix  (April 18)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-netflix-1235888355/

[roll]

> ‘Wednesday’ Season 2: Everything We Know About The Cast, Premiere Date &
> More  (April 16)
>
> https://deadline.com/feature/wednesday-season-2-everything-we-know-1235796717/

Remember, folks - this premiered in *2022*. Now season #2 won't be
released until 2025 (at the earliest?!!).

>     Streaming service news--Paramount+
>

> ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ Star David Oyelowo, Showrunner Chad Feehan Say
> Bass Is Riding Off Into The Sunset [Paramount+]  (April 14)
>
> https://deadline.com/2024/04/lawmen-bass-reeves-david-oyelowo-chad-feehan-contenders-tv-1235885199/

Click here to read the complete article

arts / rec.arts.tv / TV news for April 13-20, 2024