Don't get even -- get odd!

interests / rec.food.cooking / Incandescent VS LED bulbs

SubjectAuthor
* Incandescent VS LED bulbsEd Pawlowski
+* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsGraham
|+* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsEd Pawlowski
||+- Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbssongbird
||+* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsGary
|||`* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsMichael Trew
||| `- Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsGary
||`* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsGraham
|| +- Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsThomas
|| `* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsbruce bowser
||  `* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsEd Pawlowski
||   `* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsDave Smith
||    `* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsMike Duffy
||     +- Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsHank Rogers
||     `* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsThomas Joseph
||      `* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsHank Rogers
||       `- Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsThomas Joseph
|`* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsSheldon Martin
| +* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsDave Smith
| |`* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsMichael Trew
| | `* Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsHank Rogers
| |  `- Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsMichael Trew
| `- Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsThomas Joseph
`- Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbsThomas Joseph

1
Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<em8YK.687999$BKL8.630242@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222890&group=rec.food.cooking#222890

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Subject: Incandescent VS LED bulbs
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 22:44:24 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 02:44 UTC

The study was done using .11 for electricity. Some places are double
that rate

https://tinyurl.com/yz3fbwk5

The comparison was done using two bulbs of similar brightness: A 60W
incandescent and a 12W LED:

The 60W incandescent bulb uses 60 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity
every 1,000 hours. At the rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $6.60 to
operate the incandescent bulb for 1,000 hours.
The 12W LED bulb uses 12 kWh of electricity every 1,000 hours. At the
rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $1.32 to operate the LED bulb for
1,000 hours.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<wt9YK.688006$BKL8.141489@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222898&group=rec.food.cooking#222898

Subject: Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 22:00:29 -0600
 by: Graham - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 04:00 UTC

On 2022-09-25 8:44 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The study was done using .11 for electricity.  Some places are double
> that rate
>
> https://tinyurl.com/yz3fbwk5
>

> The comparison was done using two bulbs of similar brightness: A 60W
> incandescent and a 12W LED:
>
> The 60W incandescent bulb uses 60 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity
> every 1,000 hours. At the rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $6.60 to
> operate the incandescent bulb for 1,000 hours.
> The 12W LED bulb uses 12 kWh of electricity every 1,000 hours. At the
> rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $1.32 to operate the LED bulb for
> 1,000 hours.

But what is the cost of each bulb?

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<MQ9YK.178106$3AK7.50343@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222900&group=rec.food.cooking#222900

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 00:25:15 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 04:25 UTC

On 9/26/2022 12:00 AM, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-09-25 8:44 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> The study was done using .11 for electricity.  Some places are double
>> that rate
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/yz3fbwk5
>>

>> The comparison was done using two bulbs of similar brightness: A 60W
>> incandescent and a 12W LED:
>>
>> The 60W incandescent bulb uses 60 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity
>> every 1,000 hours. At the rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $6.60
>> to operate the incandescent bulb for 1,000 hours.
>> The 12W LED bulb uses 12 kWh of electricity every 1,000 hours. At the
>> rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $1.32 to operate the LED bulb for
>> 1,000 hours.
>
> But what is the cost of each bulb?

It is in the link

At around $5 to $7 per bulb, LED lights are initially more of an
investment than their incandescent equivalents—which go for around $2 to
$3 per bulb. But, when you factor in energy costs, they’re a better
value in the long run. According to the U.S. Department of Energy,
residential LED bulbs use at least 75% less energy than incandescent
lighting, and last up to 25 times longer.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<9fu2jhphupi5t7ceajgjpeq0p2b30mpm4m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222912&group=rec.food.cooking#222912

From: penmar...@aol.com (Sheldon Martin)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 06:17:06 -0400
 by: Sheldon Martin - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:17 UTC

On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 22:00:29 -0600, Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-09-25 8:44 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> The study was done using .11 for electricity.  Some places are double
>> that rate
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/yz3fbwk5
>>
>> The comparison was done using two bulbs of similar brightness: A 60W
>> incandescent and a 12W LED:
>>
>> The 60W incandescent bulb uses 60 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity
>> every 1,000 hours. At the rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $6.60 to
>> operate the incandescent bulb for 1,000 hours.
>> The 12W LED bulb uses 12 kWh of electricity every 1,000 hours. At the
>> rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $1.32 to operate the LED bulb for
>> 1,000 hours.
>
>But what is the cost of each bulb?

Apples vs oranges... LED bulbs last far longer than incandescent
bulbs... like 10 times longer.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<kIgYK.114869$6gz7.78925@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222925&group=rec.food.cooking#222925

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 08:14:07 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:14 UTC

On 2022-09-26 6:17 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 22:00:29 -0600, Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2022-09-25 8:44 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> The study was done using .11 for electricity.  Some places are double
>>> that rate
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/yz3fbwk5
>>>
>>> The comparison was done using two bulbs of similar brightness: A 60W
>>> incandescent and a 12W LED:
>>>
>>> The 60W incandescent bulb uses 60 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity
>>> every 1,000 hours. At the rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $6.60 to
>>> operate the incandescent bulb for 1,000 hours.
>>> The 12W LED bulb uses 12 kWh of electricity every 1,000 hours. At the
>>> rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $1.32 to operate the LED bulb for
>>> 1,000 hours.
>>
>> But what is the cost of each bulb?
>
> Apples vs oranges... LED bulbs last far longer than incandescent
> bulbs... like 10 times longer.

So they say. That is not my experience. In the relatively short time
that we have been using LED bulbs I have changed enough that I am
inclined to think that incandescent bulbs last longer. My fridge is
about two years old and I have had to replace both LED bulbs in that
thing. One of them I managed to get for free from the manufacturer. The
second was replaced by an incandescent.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<qon80j-qg3.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222941&group=rec.food.cooking#222941

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 09:58:18 -0400
 by: songbird - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 13:58 UTC

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> It is in the link
>
> At around $5 to $7 per bulb, LED lights are initially more of an
> investment than their incandescent equivalents—which go for around $2 to
> $3 per bulb. But, when you factor in energy costs, they’re a better
> value in the long run. According to the U.S. Department of Energy,
> residential LED bulbs use at least 75% less energy than incandescent
> lighting, and last up to 25 times longer.

often you can get LED bulbs on sale for much less. we
picked up four packs of six bulbs for $2.88 each (per pack
of six not each bulb) that was enough to replace all the
bulbs in the house that we normally use all the time plus
all the track lights which don't get used very often. the
low price was subsidized by the local power company but no
matter how it got done it has saved many times that price
in the years since.

we also replaced some large fluorescent track lights
that are used once in a while and that too was a good
deal that has likely already paid for itself.

my main lightbulb at night is this computer screen
which doesn't use that much juice compared to the monster
CRT unit it replaced and my computer doesn't do much
chewing of juice either. much less than the main house
stereo which i don't use often any more, but Mom has
her tv stuff going through it so...

all told we've cut back our bill by probably $10 per
month and not had to do much change otherwise to what
we're doing.

in the summer the power company now has a different
tier for prime time juice use that we can mostly avoid
and that probably has saved us another $10 per month
or more by doing the AC in the early morning instead
of during the afternoon or early evening or what i do
with canning i just wait until after or get it done
before.

songbird

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<tgsd4m$3okn9$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=222947&group=rec.food.cooking#222947

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:31:50 -0400
 by: Gary - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 14:31 UTC

On 9/26/2022 12:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> At around $5 to $7 per bulb, LED lights are initially more of an
> investment than their incandescent equivalents—which go for around $2 to
> $3 per bulb. But, when you factor in energy costs, they’re a better
> value in the long run. According to the U.S. Department of Energy,
> residential LED bulbs use at least 75% less energy than incandescent
> lighting, and last up to 25 times longer.

Where in the hell did you get those numbers from?
Surely, you meant to say 4-pack and not for single bulbs.

I used to pay $0.25 to $1.00 for incandescent bulbs.
About 8 years ago, I paid $2 for an equivalent LED bulb.
Recently bought another 4-pack of LEDs from Walmart - $1.50 per bulb.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<fvmYK.453370$6Il8.389812@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223004&group=rec.food.cooking#223004

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:49:46 -0600
 by: Graham - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 18:49 UTC

On 2022-09-25 10:25 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/26/2022 12:00 AM, Graham wrote:
>> On 2022-09-25 8:44 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> The study was done using .11 for electricity.  Some places are double
>>> that rate
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/yz3fbwk5
>>>

>>> The comparison was done using two bulbs of similar brightness: A 60W
>>> incandescent and a 12W LED:
>>>
>>> The 60W incandescent bulb uses 60 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity
>>> every 1,000 hours. At the rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $6.60
>>> to operate the incandescent bulb for 1,000 hours.
>>> The 12W LED bulb uses 12 kWh of electricity every 1,000 hours. At the
>>> rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $1.32 to operate the LED bulb
>>> for 1,000 hours.
>>
>> But what is the cost of each bulb?
>>
> It is in the link
>
> At around $5 to $7 per bulb, LED lights are initially more of an
> investment than their incandescent equivalents—which go for around $2 to
> $3 per bulb. But, when you factor in energy costs, they’re a better
> value in the long run. According to the U.S. Department of Energy,
> residential LED bulbs use at least 75% less energy than incandescent
> lighting, and last up to 25 times longer.

In theory they last longer but I changed an LED last week that had
lasted about as long as an incandescent.
When my bathrooms were renovated 25+ years ago, the fancy light fixtures
used halogen bulbs. I must have replaced them three or four times in the
first year. They must have been a bad batch because I haven't replaced
any since.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<87e6dfc6-ed97-4a50-8435-1c215d406f88n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223106&group=rec.food.cooking#223106

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 01:36:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 08:36 UTC

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 2:49:53 PM UTC-4, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-09-25 10:25 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> But what is the cost of each bulb?
> >>
> > It is in the link
> >
> > At around $5 to $7 per bulb, LED lights are initially more of an
> > investment than their incandescent equivalents—which go for around $2 to
> > $3 per bulb. But, when you factor in energy costs, they’re a better
> > value in the long run. According to the U.S. Department of Energy,
> > residential LED bulbs use at least 75% less energy than incandescent
> > lighting, and last up to 25 times longer.
> >
> In theory they last longer but I changed an LED last week that had
> lasted about as long as an incandescent.
> When my bathrooms were renovated 25+ years ago, the fancy light fixtures
> used halogen bulbs. I must have replaced them three or four times in the
> first year. They must have been a bad batch because I haven't replaced
> any since.
I just bought a 10 pack of led to replace vanity bulbs. 1 of 5 is out. Good time for a switchover.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<3aca7e08-d9c8-4117-aa3a-a57e3d46a5abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223165&group=rec.food.cooking#223165

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 12:42:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 19:42 UTC

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 2:49:53 PM UTC-4, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-09-25 10:25 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> But what is the cost of each bulb?
> >>
> > It is in the link
> >
> > At around $5 to $7 per bulb, LED lights are initially more of an
> > investment than their incandescent equivalents—which go for around $2 to
> > $3 per bulb. But, when you factor in energy costs, they’re a better
> > value in the long run. According to the U.S. Department of Energy,
> > residential LED bulbs use at least 75% less energy than incandescent
> > lighting, and last up to 25 times longer.
>
> In theory they last longer but I changed an LED last week that had
> lasted about as long as an incandescent.
> When my bathrooms were renovated 25+ years ago, the fancy light fixtures
> used halogen bulbs. I must have replaced them three or four times in the
> first year. They must have been a bad batch because I haven't replaced
> any since.

CFL light bulbs last longer than LED bulbs. Especially, ones built by GE.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<g8JYK.342188$wLZ8.137503@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223183&group=rec.food.cooking#223183

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:35:25 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 20:35 UTC

On 9/27/2022 3:42 PM, bruce bowser wrote:

> CFL light bulbs last longer than LED bulbs. Especially, ones built by GE.

Maybe, but the light quality sucks.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<6MKYK.459918$6Il8.342161@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223203&group=rec.food.cooking#223203

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 18:26:10 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:26 UTC

On 2022-09-27 4:35 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> CFL light bulbs last longer than LED bulbs.  Especially, ones built by
>> GE.
>
> Maybe, but the light quality sucks.

I dunno. We have a three lamp track light on a dimmer switch in our
bedroom. I had halogen spots in them for years and was slow to switch to
LED until I was able to find dimmable LEDs. I checked out the display in
the store and found that one type had a strange yellowish light so I
opted for the other. When I got them home and installed them there was
blueish hue to the light, and it looks especially weird effect when on
full power. It's not as bad when dimmed, but I am seriously considering
switching back to the halogen lights.

I also have LEDs in the bedside reading lamps that have blue hue to the
light. It is as weird as the overheads but it is actually pretty good
for reading.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<GwOYK.236275$PRW4.147044@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223235&group=rec.food.cooking#223235

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 02:42:46 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 02:42 UTC

On 2022-09-27, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I dunno. We have a three lamp track light on a dimmer switch in our
> bedroom. I had halogen spots in them for years and was slow to switch to
> LED until I was able to find dimmable LEDs. I checked out the display in
> the store and found that one type had a strange yellowish light so I
> opted for the other. When I got them home and installed them there was
> blueish hue to the light, and it looks especially weird effect when on
> full power. It's not as bad when dimmed, but I am seriously considering
> switching back to the halogen lights.
>
> I also have LEDs in the bedside reading lamps that have blue hue to the
> light. It is as weird as the overheads but it is actually pretty good
> for reading.

Just put on a pair of rose-coloured
glasses and everything will be fine.

For the last few weeks, I put a yellow
filter on my dogshit flashlight (LED)
in the understanding that brown is
actually dark yellow.

I figured the shit would light up a bit
more than the green leaves & grass,
but what ends up happening is now that
leaves are starting to turn,
I'm getting a lot of false positives.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<lEOYK.208115$BQA7.93329@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223236&group=rec.food.cooking#223236

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 21:50:54 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 02:50 UTC

Mike Duffy wrote:
> On 2022-09-27, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> I dunno. We have a three lamp track light on a dimmer switch in our
>> bedroom. I had halogen spots in them for years and was slow to switch to
>> LED until I was able to find dimmable LEDs. I checked out the display in
>> the store and found that one type had a strange yellowish light so I
>> opted for the other. When I got them home and installed them there was
>> blueish hue to the light, and it looks especially weird effect when on
>> full power. It's not as bad when dimmed, but I am seriously considering
>> switching back to the halogen lights.
>>
>> I also have LEDs in the bedside reading lamps that have blue hue to the
>> light. It is as weird as the overheads but it is actually pretty good
>> for reading.
>
> Just put on a pair of rose-coloured
> glasses and everything will be fine.
>
> For the last few weeks, I put a yellow
> filter on my dogshit flashlight (LED)
> in the understanding that brown is
> actually dark yellow.
>
> I figured the shit would light up a bit
> more than the green leaves & grass,
> but what ends up happening is now that
> leaves are starting to turn,
> I'm getting a lot of false positives.

I can't believe you hunt shit in the dark man :)

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<cU5ZK.151481$w35c.93665@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223430&group=rec.food.cooking#223430

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:45:00 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 00:45 UTC

On 9/26/2022 10:31, Gary wrote:
> On 9/26/2022 12:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> At around $5 to $7 per bulb, LED lights are initially more of an
>> investment than their incandescent equivalents—which go for around $2
>> to $3 per bulb. But, when you factor in energy costs, they’re a better
>> value in the long run. According to the U.S. Department of Energy,
>> residential LED bulbs use at least 75% less energy than incandescent
>> lighting, and last up to 25 times longer.
>
> Where in the hell did you get those numbers from?
> Surely, you meant to say 4-pack and not for single bulbs.
>
> I used to pay $0.25 to $1.00 for incandescent bulbs.
> About 8 years ago, I paid $2 for an equivalent LED bulb.
> Recently bought another 4-pack of LEDs from Walmart - $1.50 per bulb.

True; when they were selling off the last of the incandescents, I paid
25 cents per bulb, maximum.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<3W5ZK.151482$w35c.636@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223431&group=rec.food.cooking#223431

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:46:59 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 00:46 UTC

On 9/26/2022 8:14, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-09-26 6:17 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> Apples vs oranges... LED bulbs last far longer than incandescent
>> bulbs... like 10 times longer.
>
> So they say. That is not my experience. In the relatively short time
> that we have been using LED bulbs I have changed enough that I am
> inclined to think that incandescent bulbs last longer. My fridge is
> about two years old and I have had to replace both LED bulbs in that
> thing. One of them I managed to get for free from the manufacturer. The
> second was replaced by an incandescent.

True; I can't tell you how many LED's that I've had go bad. It's pretty
sad, they are supposed to last longer. I have better luck with
incandescent and halogen bulbs. There are a few incandescent bulbs that
are in regular use in my house, which were here when I bought it in 2018.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<Pl6ZK.511994$Ny99.264573@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223442&group=rec.food.cooking#223442

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 20:16:24 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 01:16 UTC

Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/26/2022 8:14, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2022-09-26 6:17 a.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> Apples vs oranges... LED bulbs last far longer than incandescent
>>> bulbs... like 10 times longer.
>>
>> So they say. That is not my experience. In the relatively short time
>> that we have been using LED bulbs I have changed enough that I am
>> inclined to think that incandescent bulbs last longer. My fridge is
>> about two years old and I have had to replace both LED bulbs in that
>> thing. One of them I managed to get for free from the
>> manufacturer. The
>> second was replaced by an incandescent.
>
> True; I can't tell you how many LED's that I've had go bad.  It's
> pretty sad, they are supposed to last longer.  I have better luck
> with incandescent and halogen bulbs.  There are a few incandescent
> bulbs that are in regular use in my house, which were here when I
> bought it in 2018.

I thought you didn't use leds, but I may have missed something.

I have several incandescent bulbs that are over 30 years old. But
they are in walk in closets and a hall that are only occasionally
used. Everything else was long ago replaced with cfl, now replacing
those with LED as needed, mostly because cfls seem to be getting
harder to find. Last I looked, walmart didn't stock any, except for
specialty stuff like appliance bulbs.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<Tr7ZK.231203$51Rb.20606@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223472&group=rec.food.cooking#223472

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 22:31:19 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 02:31 UTC

On 9/28/2022 21:16, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> True; I can't tell you how many LED's that I've had go bad. It's
>> pretty sad, they are supposed to last longer. I have better luck with
>> incandescent and halogen bulbs. There are a few incandescent bulbs
>> that are in regular use in my house, which were here when I bought it
>> in 2018.
>
> I thought you didn't use leds, but I may have missed something.
>
> I have several incandescent bulbs that are over 30 years old. But they
> are in walk in closets and a hall that are only occasionally used.
> Everything else was long ago replaced with cfl, now replacing those with
> LED as needed, mostly because cfls seem to be getting harder to find.
> Last I looked, walmart didn't stock any, except for specialty stuff like
> appliance bulbs.

I put a few LED's into the most frequently used lamps. The one in my
bedroom makes a high-pitched squealing noise. Two of them burned out in
the cellar light since 2019, while the old incandescent bulbs around it
stayed lit. I put a halogen bulb in this time.

My stock-pile of incandescent bulbs might last me about forever. I
hardly tap into them. I have one CFL, the curly bulb. I don't care for
the mercury inside, and they take a while to warm up. It's in the
living room table lamp, and will be until it dies.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<th3nor$kh5o$12@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223515&group=rec.food.cooking#223515

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 05:16:11 -0400
 by: Gary - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 09:16 UTC

On 9/28/2022 8:45 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/26/2022 10:31, Gary wrote:
>> I used to pay $0.25 to $1.00 for incandescent bulbs.
>> About 8 years ago, I paid $2 for an equivalent LED bulb.
>> Recently bought another 4-pack of LEDs from Walmart - $1.50 per bulb.
>
> True; when they were selling off the last of the incandescents, I paid
> 25 cents per bulb, maximum.

Even though the LEDs last much longer, I still have 2 incandescent
working bulbs installed about 30 years ago.

My overhead family room light and the overhead light by the front door.
I use them briefly every few days but just for a minute or two.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<4c7f93aa-b49c-4011-b545-236e68f7edf5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223719&group=rec.food.cooking#223719

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:41:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:41 UTC

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The comparison was done using two bulbs of similar brightness: A 60W
> incandescent and a 12W LED:
>
> The 60W incandescent bulb uses 60 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity
> every 1,000 hours. At the rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $6.60 to
> operate the incandescent bulb for 1,000 hours.
> The 12W LED bulb uses 12 kWh of electricity every 1,000 hours. At the
> rate of $0.11 per kWh, it would cost $1.32 to operate the LED bulb for
> 1,000 hours.

That's good. Now how about the relative cost between the two? If the
LED is some benefit beyond kilowatt cost, fine, I'd say no doubt go with it.
Maybe it's easier on the eyes or gives off less heat. But if it's just cost
per kilowatt hour, wouldn't you have to factor the cost of the bulbs into
the equation?

Yo bulb head, how much does your lighting cost?

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<33b0a7e0-656b-4b0a-b733-d5e5a669f062n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223720&group=rec.food.cooking#223720

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:43:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:43 UTC

Sheldon wrote:
Graham wrote:

> But what is the cost of each bulb?

> Apples vs oranges... LED bulbs last far longer than incandescent
> bulbs... like 10 times longer.

Still a good question nonetheless. As for your LED bulbs lasting
longer, we'll see about that when I come busting through your doors
with a giant baseball bat rip-snapping those bulbs to into the
firmament of the filaments.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<f072fff1-e236-498d-ae4e-413fd054cfb8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223724&group=rec.food.cooking#223724

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:53:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:53 UTC

Mike Duffy wrote:

> Just put on a pair of rose-coloured
> glasses and everything will be fine.
>
> For the last few weeks, I put a yellow
> filter on my dogshit flashlight (LED)
> in the understanding that brown is
> actually dark yellow.
>
> I figured the shit would light up a bit
> more than the green leaves & grass,
> but what ends up happening is now that
> leaves are starting to turn,
> I'm getting a lot of false positives.

Good one. Dogshit flashlight - LOL. Get a variety of filters
so you can not only see your dogs turds better, but also to
differentiate between your dogs turds and others left by less
considerate dog people. That way when your flashlight
captures a turd you can tell by attaching various filters
whether the turd is your dog's or someone else's. I see
you now: "I have no problem with turd laws. I always pick
up my dog's turds. No excuses. But the turds of a dog
belonging to someone else? No fucking way daddio."

"Hey Joe, did you bring your flashlight filters with you? Good,
I'm in the mood for some dog shit hunting tonight."

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<0JKZK.705483$BKL8.418214@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=223751&group=rec.food.cooking#223751

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 18:11:51 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 23:11 UTC

Thomas Joseph wrote:
> Mike Duffy wrote:
>
>> Just put on a pair of rose-coloured
>> glasses and everything will be fine.
>>
>> For the last few weeks, I put a yellow
>> filter on my dogshit flashlight (LED)
>> in the understanding that brown is
>> actually dark yellow.
>>
>> I figured the shit would light up a bit
>> more than the green leaves & grass,
>> but what ends up happening is now that
>> leaves are starting to turn,
>> I'm getting a lot of false positives.
>

> Good one. Dogshit flashlight - LOL. Get a variety of filters
> so you can not only see your dogs turds better, but also to
> differentiate between your dogs turds and others left by less
> considerate dog people. That way when your flashlight
> captures a turd you can tell by attaching various filters
> whether the turd is your dog's or someone else's. I see
> you now: "I have no problem with turd laws. I always pick
> up my dog's turds. No excuses. But the turds of a dog
> belonging to someone else? No fucking way daddio."
>
> "Hey Joe, did you bring your flashlight filters with you? Good,
> I'm in the mood for some dog shit hunting tonight."

Nah, just go with a FLIR camera, with an IR spotlight. State of the
art. Serious dog shit hunters use this.

You can find many more turds with modern equipment.

Carry two shit bags; you'll need the second bag for the alien
turds; Later you can spread them on the offending dog owner's lawn,
ALA dave smith style.

Re: Incandescent VS LED bulbs

<2bd82a59-b25d-42d2-9cb2-7e94fefc0986n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=224049&group=rec.food.cooking#224049

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 21:16:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 04:16 UTC

Hank Rogers wrote:

> Nah, just go with a FLIR camera, with an IR spotlight. State of the
> art. Serious dog shit hunters use this.
>
> You can find many more turds with modern equipment.
>
> Carry two shit bags; you'll need the second bag for the alien
> turds; Later you can spread them on the offending dog owner's lawn,
> ALA dave smith style.

Thanks for the response but I don't want to mislead you - truth is I
have never gone turd hunting in my life. I know guys who are heavily
into it. The best among them rarely use technical equipment. But
they do have maneuvers and methods and techniques and other
resourceful shit they'll resort to to stay sharp in marathon turd
hunting tournaments such as one guy I know who had DNA from
a dog's nose implanted into his own nose raising his sense of smell
more than a hundred times normal for a human. He hunts by smell
alone. They have put blindfolds on him and he still manages to win
more tourneys than anybody I ever met. He says the city is going
to hire him to keep the parks clean. Good money. His job alone,
no interference. Spot the turds and pick them up and bag them.
The beauty is, he doesn't have to bend over to get the turds as the
city is having a special pincer-style turd grabber made just for him.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Incandescent VS LED bulbs