Given my druthers, I'd druther not.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

SubjectAuthor
* What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
|+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Adam H. Kerman
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)suzeeq
||  `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
||   `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
|+* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
||`* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
|| +* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Arthur Lipscomb
|| |+- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)shawn
|| |`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Ian J. Ball
|| `* Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Dimensional Traveler
||  `- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)anim8rfsk
|`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Ubiquitous
`- Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)Ubiquitous

1
What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v03aof$c2e5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222879&group=rec.arts.tv#222879

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 08:18:39 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:18 UTC

Saturday I pivoted more to getting stuff done (generally successful!),
but I still did manage to get through a movie.

Anyway, on Sat., I watched:

soaps: GH - Fri's ep. Nina sells her half of the hotel to Jason, who
immediately signs it back to Carly, but when Sonny finds out he accuses
all three of them of being "traitors", which Nina hears, and Nina
immediately realizes that Ava lied to/betrayed her about selling the
hospital to Jason. Ava keeps quiet about Sonny's meds being underdosed,
and doesn't try very hard in trying to talk Sonny out of whacking Dex
for trying to be a cop. A frantic Josslyn goes to Anna, to beg her to
not hire Dex as a cop, but Anna refuses. Later, Anna calls Molly in, and
presents Molly with the evidence against Sonny - Molly feels she has a
conflict of interest on the case (she clearly does!!), but Anna insists
that Molly be the one to prosecute!

golf - [sigh...] By the end of Day 3, Scottie Scheffler was leading the
RBC Heritage in Hilton Head, SC. For most of the day Collin Morikawa was
a strong second (sound familiar?...), but at the end of Day 3 Sepp
Straka vaulted into second, with Morikawa third, and Theegala and Aberg
just behind them.

Fallout (Prime) - "The Head" (ep. #1.3). Lucy takes Wilzig's head deeper
into Los Angeles(?), but it is taken by an "abomination" in some water
there. Then she is captured by The Ghoul, who is devoid of humanity by
this point and tortures Lucy. Maximus has to repair the suit but gets
jumped by some thugs and has to eliminate a couple of them to get the
suit back and repaired. Then the Brotherhood sends Maximus' former
bully, Thaddeus, to be his new squire. Maximus and Thaddeus eventually
get the head back from the abomination. By this point, the Ghoul seemed
to have abandoned the head and is taking captive Lucy somewhere.
Meanwhile, in the Vault, Norm (Moises Arias) believes the captive
raiders should be executed (he's right), and now-one-eyed Stephanie
agrees with him - it's looking like Norm may be heading towards a coup
in the Vault!

Night Swim (Peacock) - In glorious 4k!
Oh my God! The swimming pool is EVOL!! THE SWIMMING POOL IS
EEVVVOOOOLLLLLL!!!!1!11!!!
This was OK, but was firmly in the milieu of "PG-13 horror". If this
had been "hard-R" horror, somebody would have been sucked into the pool
drain a la Stephen King!
Arthur correctly "prophesied" that the family was *almost* smart in
this, intending to blow doors after figuring out that the pool was
haunted/EVOL!/whatever. But, of course, there's a contrivance, and they
can't leave!
The ending was actually appropriate, I guess. At least, it didn't
piss me off, and was at least somewhat satisfying.
I know who Wyatt Russell and Karry Condon are. But I have no idea
who Amelie Hoeferle, who played the daughter, is - she seems to have
come out of nowhere (and apparently has a hideous tattoo IRL!).
Anyway, I guess this gets a very, very mild "recommend" from me,
though there are certainly many better, more gripping horror flicks out
there!

What did you watch?

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v03c9b$cf4h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222880&group=rec.arts.tv#222880

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 08:44:13 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:44 UTC

On 4/21/2024 8:18 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> [...]
>    This was OK, but was firmly in the milieu of "PG-13 horror". If this
> had been "hard-R" horror, somebody would have been sucked into the pool
> drain a la Stephen King!
>    Arthur correctly "prophesied" that the family was *almost* smart in
> this, intending to blow doors after figuring out that the pool was
> haunted/EVOL!/whatever. But, of course, there's a contrivance, and they
> can't leave!
>    The ending was actually appropriate, I guess. At least, it didn't
> piss me off, and was at least somewhat satisfying.
>    I know who Wyatt Russell and Karry Condon are. But I have no idea
> who Amelie Hoeferle, who played the daughter, is - she seems to have
> come out of nowhere (and apparently has a hideous tattoo IRL!).
>    Anyway, I guess this gets a very, very mild "recommend" from me,
> though there are certainly many better, more gripping horror flicks out

I watched:

Magic (TCM) 1978 movie starring Anthony Hopkins as a magician /
ventriloquist who lets his dummy talk him into killing people. I'm
pretty sure I never saw this before now, although I'm also pretty sure I
remember previously watching the scene where Hopkins manager (Burgess
Meredith) sees if he can keep the dummy silent for 5 minutes and Hopkins
fails miserably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr3y5Q5vr8g

Penn & Teller Get Killed (TCM) 1989 comedy starring Penn & Teller as
themselves and sort of depicts them in their daily life doing their
routines and pulling tricks on each other. At the start of the movie
Penn does an interview where he casually mentions someone should kill
him and the movie is spent with various people trying to murder Penn.
Or is that part of the trick? This was my first time watching this
movie. It was a mediocre movie. But maybe I would have liked it more
if I saw in in 1989 when it first came out.

Now You See Me (Blu-ray) 2013 movie about 4 shady street magicians who
are mysteriously brought together to form a Vegas act that fronts for
various heists they disguise as magic tricks. Mark Ruffalo costars as
an FBI agent hot on their trail and Morgan Freeman plays a magician
debunker who is helping the FBI (and himself) to figure out how they
pull off their heists.

Now You See Me 2 (4K disc) 2016 sequel which finds everyone from the
first movie returning for round 2 of payback and revenge with some
magical heists thrown in for good measure.

Rebel Moon (Netflix) parts 1 and 2. To recap in the first half an evil
galactic empire is waging war in the stars. They land on a planet,
bringing a droid with them of course, and start causing trouble with
farmers. One of the farmers leaves her village to get help from an
alliance of rebels. First, she makes a stop at a nearby cantina where
she hires a solo smuggler to fly her off world to recruit fighters
including one person who wields a saber made of light. There is new
hope because the good guys win at the end. There's even an awards
ceremony where the newly recruited heroes get prizes, but that takes
place in part two.

In the second half the Empire Strikes back against the alliance of
rebels. A new plot point has the evil henchman tasked with finding one
of the rebels who happens to be the (adopted) child of one of the
villains. Perhaps if they can find this child, they can be turned to
the evil side? Anyway, they show up at the rebel's moon and along with
their imperial walking machines launch an attack. The Battle of in-door
is what you could say about one of the fights that takes place inside a
building. Anyway, the rebel who has a saber made of light fights bad
guys leading to someone having a limb cut off during the fight. The
alliance of rebels organizes the people that live on the moon into a
fighting force capable of going up against a technologically more
advanced galactic empire. It's a trap! Is what you will say at one
point watching the sequel. But I did not expect to see an epic battle
between the hero and villain using their sabers made of lights in the
villain's headquarters during an attack by the alliance of rebels as the
headquarters falls apart around them. Speaking of the alliance of
rebel's attack, it was really cool how some of them piloted single seat
attack ships and the camera would zoom in on their face as they talked
to each other during the space dog fight. Overall, I have to say this
was probably the most original sci-fi series ever, and unlike any other
sci-fi movie ever conceived of with their alien filled cantinas, droids,
solo smugglers, alliance of rebels, imperial walking machines, and
wielders of sabers made of light, I just don't know where Snyder gets
his ideas!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v03cfd$cao2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222881&group=rec.arts.tv#222881

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:47:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:47 UTC

Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>Magic (TCM) 1978 movie starring Anthony Hopkins as a magician /
>ventriloquist who lets his dummy talk him into killing people. I'm
>pretty sure I never saw this before now, although I'm also pretty sure I
>remember previously watching the scene where Hopkins manager (Burgess
>Meredith) sees if he can keep the dummy silent for 5 minutes and Hopkins
>fails miserably.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr3y5Q5vr8g

I saw this in theater as a kid. There were a number of similar movies
about ventriloquist dummies in that era in movies and literature (I read
the novel as well), an old horror trope that had gotten revived.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v03ctl$c6pt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222882&group=rec.arts.tv#222882

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 08:55:33 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 15:55 UTC

On 4/21/24 8:44 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:

> On 4/21/2024 8:18 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>

> I watched:
>
> Rebel Moon (Netflix) parts 1 and 2.  To recap in the first half an evil
> galactic empire is waging war in the stars.  They land on a planet,
> bringing a droid with them of course, and start causing trouble with
> farmers.  One of the farmers leaves her village to get help from an
> alliance of rebels.  First, she makes a stop at a nearby cantina where
> she hires a solo smuggler to fly her off world to recruit fighters
> including one person who wields a saber made of light.  There is new
> hope because the good guys win at the end.  There's even an awards
> ceremony where the newly recruited heroes get prizes, but that takes
> place in part two.
>
> In the second half the Empire Strikes back against the alliance of
> rebels.  A new plot point has the evil henchman tasked with finding one
> of the rebels who happens to be the (adopted) child of one of the
> villains.  Perhaps if they can find this child, they can be turned to
> the evil side?  Anyway, they show up at the rebel's moon and along with
> their imperial walking machines launch an attack.  The Battle of in-door
> is what you could say about one of the fights that takes place inside a
> building.  Anyway, the rebel who has a saber made of light fights bad
> guys leading to someone having a limb cut off during the fight.  The
> alliance of rebels organizes the people that live on the moon into a
> fighting force capable of going up against a technologically more
> advanced galactic empire.  It's a trap!  Is what you will say at one
> point watching the sequel.  But I did not expect to see an epic battle
> between the hero and villain using their sabers made of lights in the
> villain's headquarters during an attack by the alliance of rebels as the
> headquarters falls apart around them.  Speaking of the alliance of
> rebel's attack, it was really cool how some of them piloted single seat
> attack ships and the camera would zoom in on their face as they talked
> to each other during the space dog fight.  Overall, I have to say this
> was probably the most original sci-fi series ever, and unlike any other
> sci-fi movie ever conceived of with their alien filled cantinas, droids,
> solo smugglers, alliance of rebels, imperial walking machines, and
> wielders of sabers made of light, I just don't know where Snyder gets
> his ideas!

OMG - please tell me you are joking about all of this!!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v03eru$cv9i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222883&group=rec.arts.tv#222883

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:28:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:28 UTC

Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>On 4/21/24 8:44 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>>Rebel Moon (Netflix) parts 1 and 2.  To recap in the first half an evil
>>galactic empire is waging war in the stars.  They land on a planet,
>>bringing a droid with them of course, and start causing trouble with
>>farmers.  One of the farmers leaves her village to get help from an
>>alliance of rebels.  First, she makes a stop at a nearby cantina where
>>she hires a solo smuggler to fly her off world to recruit fighters
>>including one person who wields a saber made of light.  There is new
>>hope because the good guys win at the end.  There's even an awards
>>ceremony where the newly recruited heroes get prizes, but that takes
>>place in part two.

>>In the second half the Empire Strikes back against the alliance of
>>rebels.  A new plot point has the evil henchman tasked with finding one
>>of the rebels who happens to be the (adopted) child of one of the
>>villains.  Perhaps if they can find this child, they can be turned to
>>the evil side?  Anyway, they show up at the rebel's moon and along with
>>their imperial walking machines launch an attack.  The Battle of in-door
>>is what you could say about one of the fights that takes place inside a
>>building.  Anyway, the rebel who has a saber made of light fights bad
>>guys leading to someone having a limb cut off during the fight.  The
>>alliance of rebels organizes the people that live on the moon into a
>>fighting force capable of going up against a technologically more
>>advanced galactic empire.  It's a trap!  Is what you will say at one
>>point watching the sequel.  But I did not expect to see an epic battle
>>between the hero and villain using their sabers made of lights in the
>>villain's headquarters during an attack by the alliance of rebels as the
>>headquarters falls apart around them.  Speaking of the alliance of
>>rebel's attack, it was really cool how some of them piloted single seat
>>attack ships and the camera would zoom in on their face as they talked
>>to each other during the space dog fight.  Overall, I have to say this
>>was probably the most original sci-fi series ever, and unlike any other
>>sci-fi movie ever conceived of with their alien filled cantinas, droids,
>>solo smugglers, alliance of rebels, imperial walking machines, and
>>wielders of sabers made of light, I just don't know where Snyder gets
>>his ideas!

>OMG - please tell me you are joking about all of this!!

Oh, Ian, Ian Ian

What Arthur wrote here in followup was excellent, far better than the
movie's script.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v03f4f$82h2$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222884&group=rec.arts.tv#222884

From: suz...@imbris.com (suzeeq)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 09:33:19 -0700
 by: suzeeq - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 16:33 UTC

On 4/21/2024 9:28 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 4/21/24 8:44 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
>
>>> Rebel Moon (Netflix) parts 1 and 2.  To recap in the first half an evil
>>> galactic empire is waging war in the stars.  They land on a planet,
>>> bringing a droid with them of course, and start causing trouble with
>>> farmers.  One of the farmers leaves her village to get help from an
>>> alliance of rebels.  First, she makes a stop at a nearby cantina where
>>> she hires a solo smuggler to fly her off world to recruit fighters
>>> including one person who wields a saber made of light.  There is new
>>> hope because the good guys win at the end.  There's even an awards
>>> ceremony where the newly recruited heroes get prizes, but that takes
>>> place in part two.
>
>>> In the second half the Empire Strikes back against the alliance of
>>> rebels.  A new plot point has the evil henchman tasked with finding one
>>> of the rebels who happens to be the (adopted) child of one of the
>>> villains.  Perhaps if they can find this child, they can be turned to
>>> the evil side?  Anyway, they show up at the rebel's moon and along with
>>> their imperial walking machines launch an attack.  The Battle of in-door
>>> is what you could say about one of the fights that takes place inside a
>>> building.  Anyway, the rebel who has a saber made of light fights bad
>>> guys leading to someone having a limb cut off during the fight.  The
>>> alliance of rebels organizes the people that live on the moon into a
>>> fighting force capable of going up against a technologically more
>>> advanced galactic empire.  It's a trap!  Is what you will say at one
>>> point watching the sequel.  But I did not expect to see an epic battle
>>> between the hero and villain using their sabers made of lights in the
>>> villain's headquarters during an attack by the alliance of rebels as the
>>> headquarters falls apart around them.  Speaking of the alliance of
>>> rebel's attack, it was really cool how some of them piloted single seat
>>> attack ships and the camera would zoom in on their face as they talked
>>> to each other during the space dog fight.  Overall, I have to say this
>>> was probably the most original sci-fi series ever, and unlike any other
>>> sci-fi movie ever conceived of with their alien filled cantinas, droids,
>>> solo smugglers, alliance of rebels, imperial walking machines, and
>>> wielders of sabers made of light, I just don't know where Snyder gets
>>> his ideas!
>
>> OMG - please tell me you are joking about all of this!!
>
> Oh, Ian, Ian Ian
>
> What Arthur wrote here in followup was excellent, far better than the
> movie's script.

Well darn, here I'd thought I found a new SW story to watch...

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v03ils$do6l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222885&group=rec.arts.tv#222885

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:33:49 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:33 UTC

On 4/21/2024 9:33 AM, suzeeq wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 9:28 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> OMG - please tell me you are joking about all of this!!
>>
>> Oh, Ian, Ian Ian
>>
>> What Arthur wrote here in followup was excellent, far better than the
>> movie's script.
>>
> Well darn, here I'd thought I found a new SW story to watch...

As I very vaguely recall "Rebel Moon" was originally going to BE a Star
Wars movie.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v03k2c$e45e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222886&group=rec.arts.tv#222886

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:57:23 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 17:57 UTC

On 4/21/2024 10:33 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 9:33 AM, suzeeq wrote:

Search your feelings and you'll know it to be true.

Don't believe me see for yourself. Snyder's pitch meeting for the first
movie was secretly filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzczijDtnFY

>>> Oh, Ian, Ian Ian
>>>
>>> What Arthur wrote here in followup was excellent, far better than the
>>> movie's script.
>>>
>> Well darn, here I'd thought I found a new SW story to watch...
>
> As I very vaguely recall "Rebel Moon" was originally going to BE a Star
> Wars movie.

It was. But hopefully it would have been a *new* Star Wars story...

And I completely forgot about the scene where they stop off on a planet
and meet a slave then engage in a wager with the slave owner to free him
so he can join the team. I think I might have saw that in a movie once too.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<126322410.735448091.147588.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222906&group=rec.arts.tv#222906

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:09:57 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 03:09 UTC

> [...]
> pretty sure I never saw this before now, although I'm also pretty sure I
> remember previously watching the scene where Hopkins manager (Burgess
> Meredith) sees if he can keep the dummy silent for 5 minutes and Hopkins
> fails miserably.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr3y5Q5vr8g
>

> Penn & Teller Get Killed (TCM) 1989 comedy starring Penn & Teller as
> themselves and sort of depicts them in their daily life doing their
> routines and pulling tricks on each other. At the start of the movie
> Penn does an interview where he casually mentions someone should kill
> him and the movie is spent with various people trying to murder Penn.
> Or is that part of the trick? This was my first time watching this
> movie. It was a mediocre movie. But maybe I would have liked it more
> if I saw in in 1989 when it first came out.

No. I saw it then and I finally saw it again decades later after I became a
big fan. More or less the only charm of it is if you already like the guys.

> Now You See Me (Blu-ray) 2013 movie about 4 shady street magicians who
> are mysteriously brought together to form a Vegas act that fronts for
> various heists they disguise as magic tricks. Mark Ruffalo costars as
> an FBI agent hot on their trail and Morgan Freeman plays a magician
> debunker who is helping the FBI (and himself) to figure out how they
> pull off their heists.

I liked this movie

> Now You See Me 2 (4K disc) 2016 sequel which finds everyone from the
> first movie returning for round 2 of payback and revenge with some
> magical heists thrown in for good measure.

I didn’t like this movie nearly as much as the first installment.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v04l9g$o51h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222909&group=rec.arts.tv#222909

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:24:32 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 03:24 UTC

On 4/21/24 8:09 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>> On 4/21/2024 8:18 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> I watched:
>>
>> Now You See Me (Blu-ray) 2013 movie about 4 shady street magicians who
>> are mysteriously brought together to form a Vegas act that fronts for
>> various heists they disguise as magic tricks. Mark Ruffalo costars as
>> an FBI agent hot on their trail and Morgan Freeman plays a magician
>> debunker who is helping the FBI (and himself) to figure out how they
>> pull off their heists.
>
> I liked this movie
>
>> Now You See Me 2 (4K disc) 2016 sequel which finds everyone from the
>> first movie returning for round 2 of payback and revenge with some
>> magical heists thrown in for good measure.
>
> I didn’t like this movie nearly as much as the first installment.

Agreed on both counts.

I feel bad for Lizzy Caplan - she tried her best, and indeed may have
been the best thing about the sequel - but she already had, like, 7
strikes against her. Including the fact that the second one, esp. the
denouement, was asinine.

That said, I would be up for a third film (esp. if they brought back
Isla Fisher), and am surprised they never tried to do one. (AFAICT,
there's been no talk of another sequel at all lately...)

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v04moq$oheh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222910&group=rec.arts.tv#222910

From: art...@alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:49:45 -0700
 by: Arthur Lipscomb - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 03:49 UTC

On 4/21/2024 8:24 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 4/21/24 8:09 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> Now You See Me (Blu-ray) 2013 movie about 4 shady street magicians
>>> who are mysteriously brought together to form a Vegas act that fronts
>>> for
>>> various heists they disguise as magic tricks.  Mark Ruffalo costars as
>>> an FBI agent hot on their trail and Morgan Freeman plays a magician
>>> debunker who is helping the FBI (and himself) to figure out how they
>>> pull off their heists.
>>
>> I liked this movie
>>
>>> Now You See Me 2 (4K disc) 2016 sequel which finds everyone from the
>>> first movie returning for round 2 of payback and revenge with some
>>> magical heists thrown in for good measure.
>>
>> I didn’t like this movie nearly as much as the first installment.
>
> Agreed on both counts.

+`2

> I feel bad for Lizzy Caplan - she tried her best, and indeed may have
> been the best thing about the sequel - but she already had, like, 7
> strikes against her. Including the fact that the second one, esp. the
> denouement, was asinine.
>
> That said, I would be up for a third film (esp. if they brought back
> Isla Fisher), and am surprised they never tried to do one. (AFAICT,
> there's been no talk of another sequel at all lately...)

There's definitely a third one on the way. There's been a lot of
chatter about it recently. I *almost* didn't watch the first two
because I expect it to arrive in the next year or two.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<anpb2j1u66dj66grrg975kn032h7st6107@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222912&group=rec.arts.tv#222912

From: nanoflo...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 00:27:32 -0400
 by: shawn - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 04:27 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:49:45 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 4/21/2024 8:24 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>>> I liked this movie

I liked it too. Finally got around to seeing it a month or two ago.
Didn't see the end coming which is always nice.

>>> I didn’t like this movie nearly as much as the first installment.
>>
>> Agreed on both counts.

Haven't seen it but it is on the list.

>+`2
>
>> I feel bad for Lizzy Caplan - she tried her best, and indeed may have
>> been the best thing about the sequel - but she already had, like, 7
>> strikes against her. Including the fact that the second one, esp. the
>> denouement, was asinine.
>>
>> That said, I would be up for a third film (esp. if they brought back
>> Isla Fisher), and am surprised they never tried to do one. (AFAICT,
>> there's been no talk of another sequel at all lately...)
>>

>There's definitely a third one on the way. There's been a lot of
>chatter about it recently. I *almost* didn't watch the first two
>because I expect it to arrive in the next year or two.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v04plu$p2g7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222913&group=rec.arts.tv#222913

From: ijb...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 21:39:26 -0700
 by: Ian J. Ball - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 04:39 UTC

On 4/21/24 8:49 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 8:24 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>>> I liked this movie

>>> I didn’t like this movie nearly as much as the first installment.
>>
>> Agreed on both counts.
>
> +`2
>
>> I feel bad for Lizzy Caplan - she tried her best, and indeed may have
>> been the best thing about the sequel - but she already had, like, 7
>> strikes against her. Including the fact that the second one, esp. the
>> denouement, was asinine.
>>
>> That said, I would be up for a third film (esp. if they brought back
>> Isla Fisher), and am surprised they never tried to do one. (AFAICT,
>> there's been no talk of another sequel at all lately...)
>
> There's definitely a third one on the way.  There's been a lot of
> chatter about it recently.  I *almost* didn't watch the first two
> because I expect it to arrive in the next year or two.

Wow, it looks like you're right. Last time I checked was when I watched
both films last year, and there was no news. It looks like news on "3"
has just broken in the last week:

https://people.com/now-you-see-me-3-everything-to-know-8635079
https://screenrant.com/now-you-see-me-3-lizzy-caplan-missing/

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<UBI20240421@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222917&group=rec.arts.tv#222917

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 04:30:40 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 08:30 UTC

In article <v03aof$c2e5$1@dont-email.me>, ijball@mac.invalid wrote:

>What did you watch?

"DIVERSITY BOUNTIES" EXPOSED | SOURCE EXPOSES DEI BRIBERY AT DISNEY | HOLLYWOOD IS PAID TO BE WOKE!:
Ever wonder why DEI has spread like wildfire throughout Hollywood over
the past 7 years? Producers at Disney and throughout Hollywood are
being paid "diversity bounties" to cast movies and shows with actors
who further The Agenda! A Hollywood insider steps forward to sound the
alarm in this exclusive interview! #disney #mcu #marvel
https://youtu.be/dMbb8Ex83-c?si=WvI4hzfIDtQ2_89N

BATMAN & SUPERMAN FORCE SIDEKICKS TO DIG THEIR OWN GRAVES!:
Superman and Batman force their sidekicks to dig their own graves?
Yes, yes they do. World's Finest presents a tale of madness, mafia,
and more. Just how to Robin (Dick Grayson) and Superman's Pal Jimmy
Olsen find themselves in this predicament? It's a DC Comics classic
from the era straddling the silver and bronze ages. See it unfold
here on Casually Comics!
https://youtu.be/Ku11PSggTzc?si=rPjqu7tPEUevYrdw

THE 10-YEAR HUNT FOR THE LOST COOKBOOK:
https://youtu.be/XIObMS5hS0Y?si=XmmWydYnvQDzP637

THE *INFAMOUS* �BLACK� MCDONALD�S COMMERCIALS:
At the tail end of the Civil Rights Movement, brands all over the country
started doing something new... and a little strange: they started targeting
Black consumers in their ads.

Very few did it quite like McDonald's -- so I wanted to dig into that history
and show why i think these ads deserve way more attention.
https://youtu.be/l-w6luA54qU?si=UhnRLgh3vR30fm-0

SNEAK PEEK INSIDE WHAT HAPPENS IN THE WALSH HOME:
https://youtu.be/JVSvQXfKZ5Y?si=nkitruV6G-HdlSdr

SNEAK PEEK INSIDE WHAT HAPPENS IN THE WALSH HOME PART 2:
https://youtu.be/VCyXmsL3qVc?si=pG41UXt4SFyypsMZ

AI TRIES TO WRITE STEP-BY-STEP GUIDES FOR EVERYDAY TASKS:
https://youtu.be/XzXDCj-qKTE?si=HgOSVDVDT58DIxTP

JOE BIDEN GETS FLIPPED OFF BY KIDS WHILE CAMPAIGNING LOL:
https://youtu.be/ohWGfkglu6w?si=KfBNJ5D0u5vqAI53

CHRIS GORE (FILM THREAT) HOSPITALIZED:
#nerdrotic #fnt #popculture
We pray chris Gore recovers and hopefully, gets better soon.
https://youtu.be/UyDdCpkvqRk?si=cBO3I7f-Dem_FsHl

SLEEPAWAY CAMP:

Angela Baker, a shy, traumatized young girl, is sent to summer camp
with her
cousin. Shortly after her arrival, anyone with sinister or
less than honorable
intentions gets their comeuppance. Holy crap! I had
a vague foreknowlefge of
the ending, but wow! It turns ohg gung Natryn
jnf npghnyyl jung unccraf jura
lbh sbepr n yvggyr obl gb orpbzr n tvey.

SLEEPAWAY CAMP 2:
In this sequel to SLEEPAWAY CAMP, Angela from the original movie had a sex

chnage operation and now works at another summer camp as a counciler who

punishes her charges with death. This was more of a comedy-horror, so the

deaths weren't as horrorific and killer made plenty of pithy remarks. Also,

Angella killed everyone, including the woman who picked up her while

hitchhiking.

SLEEPAWAY CAMP 3:
It's even worse than the previous one. It's trying to be dark gallows
humor
but it tries way too hard. This takes place a year after the
previous movie
at the same camp, but this time, Angella poses as one of
the campers.

DOCTOR WHO:
"The Invisible Enemy". A three-man rocket crew are nearly done with their
mission to Titan Base until a course change puts the rocket in the path of
a strange cloud in space. By the time they arrive, they have come under the
control of a sentient virus which threatens the galaxy. When the TARDIS picks
up an emergency message, it flies into the cloud, infecting the Doctor. To
save himself and others, he must undertake a dangerous journey.
This is where we first meet K9. Something looks wrong with Leela, too.
I did appreciate the "pun" in the title as well.

What did you watch?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v05hjj$tsdp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222919&group=rec.arts.tv#222919

From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 04:30:41 -0400

In article <v03c9b$cf4h$1@dont-email.me>, arthur@alum.calberkeley.org wrote:

>Magic (TCM) 1978 movie starring Anthony Hopkins as a magician /
>ventriloquist who lets his dummy talk him into killing people.

I remember seeing the trailers on TV and being disappointed when it aired on
late one night on TV. It was a decent movie still, but not what I expected.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<v05su5$10fia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222932&group=rec.arts.tv#222932

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:41:10 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:41 UTC

On 4/21/2024 8:24 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 4/21/24 8:09 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I watched:
>>>
>>> Now You See Me (Blu-ray) 2013 movie about 4 shady street magicians
>>> who are mysteriously brought together to form a Vegas act that fronts
>>> for
>>> various heists they disguise as magic tricks.  Mark Ruffalo costars as
>>> an FBI agent hot on their trail and Morgan Freeman plays a magician
>>> debunker who is helping the FBI (and himself) to figure out how they
>>> pull off their heists.
>>
>> I liked this movie
>>
>>> Now You See Me 2 (4K disc) 2016 sequel which finds everyone from the
>>> first movie returning for round 2 of payback and revenge with some
>>> magical heists thrown in for good measure.
>>
>> I didn’t like this movie nearly as much as the first installment.
>
> Agreed on both counts.
>
> I feel bad for Lizzy Caplan - she tried her best, and indeed may have
> been the best thing about the sequel - but she already had, like, 7
> strikes against her. Including the fact that the second one, esp. the
> denouement, was asinine.
>
> That said, I would be up for a third film (esp. if they brought back
> Isla Fisher), and am surprised they never tried to do one. (AFAICT,
> there's been no talk of another sequel at all lately...)

Now You See Me 3 (aka Now You 3 Me) is "in development". Currently
attached: Ruben Fleischer (director); Ariana Greenblatt; Dave Franco;
Isla Fisher; Jesse Eisenberg; Justice Smith; Mark Ruffalo; Morgan
Freeman; Woody Harrelson.

dirty old man.

Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-20 (Saturday)

<24455650.735495044.540682.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=222935&group=rec.arts.tv#222935

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:49:24 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:49 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 4/21/2024 8:24 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

>>> I liked this movie

>>> I didn’t like this movie nearly as much as the first installment.
>>
>> Agreed on both counts.
>>
>> I feel bad for Lizzy Caplan - she tried her best, and indeed may have
>> been the best thing about the sequel - but she already had, like, 7
>> strikes against her. Including the fact that the second one, esp. the
>> denouement, was asinine.
>>
>> That said, I would be up for a third film (esp. if they brought back
>> Isla Fisher), and am surprised they never tried to do one. (AFAICT,
>> there's been no talk of another sequel at all lately...)
>>
> Now You See Me 3 (aka Now You 3 Me) is "in development". Currently
> attached: Ruben Fleischer (director); Ariana Greenblatt; Dave Franco;
> Isla Fisher; Jesse Eisenberg; Justice Smith; Mark Ruffalo; Morgan
> Freeman; Woody Harrelson.

No Lizzy, no showzzy!