"For the man who has everything... Penicillin." -- F. Borquin

interests / rec.food.cooking / Sheila or Janet UK, a question, please

SubjectAuthor
* Sheila or Janet UK, a question, pleaseitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
+* Re: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, pleaseCindy Hamilton
|`- Re: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, pleaseitsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
+- Re: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, pleasebruce bowser
`- Re: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, pleaseS Viemeister

1
Sheila or Janet UK, a question, please

<a461d489-f495-4a3b-9411-1ee3ae51e804n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=224922&group=rec.food.cooking#224922

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 08:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, please
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 15:34 UTC

Last night I was looking at program on the Acorn channel and it was
about rationing in Great Britain in WWII.

They were interviewing people who were young kids at the time of
how their families coped and what they cooked and how they used
everything. Of course rationing books came up and one woman was
telling of the 2 ounces of butter they were to receive. They decided to
go to the grocer in their neighborhood and he would weigh the butter
out. But her mother objected to him putting the butter on "sugar or
sugared" paper as it weighed more than I guess plain butchers paper.
They got into an argument and she wasn't having it and left and did
her shopping elsewhere.

What is "sugar or sugared" paper??

Re: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, please

<dYC%K.373908$wLZ8.52321@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=224925&group=rec.food.cooking#224925

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Subject: Re: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, please
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 16:00:09 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:00 UTC

On 2022-10-06, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net <itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net> wrote:

> Last night I was looking at program on the Acorn channel and it was
> about rationing in Great Britain in WWII.
>
> They were interviewing people who were young kids at the time of
> how their families coped and what they cooked and how they used
> everything. Of course rationing books came up and one woman was
> telling of the 2 ounces of butter they were to receive. They decided to
> go to the grocer in their neighborhood and he would weigh the butter
> out. But her mother objected to him putting the butter on "sugar or
> sugared" paper as it weighed more than I guess plain butchers paper.
> They got into an argument and she wasn't having it and left and did
> her shopping elsewhere.
>
> What is "sugar or sugared" paper??

Google informs me that it's like cardstock or construction paper.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, please

<ca2fdc6c-72c6-4179-ae13-07bf9e19c010n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=224933&group=rec.food.cooking#224933

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:28:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 17:28 UTC

On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 11:34:07 AM UTC-4, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
> Last night I was looking at program on the Acorn channel and it was
> about rationing in Great Britain in WWII.
>
> They were interviewing people who were young kids at the time of
> how their families coped and what they cooked and how they used
> everything. Of course rationing books came up and one woman was
> telling of the 2 ounces of butter they were to receive. They decided to
> go to the grocer in their neighborhood and he would weigh the butter
> out. But her mother objected to him putting the butter on "sugar or
> sugared" paper as it weighed more than I guess plain butchers paper.
> They got into an argument and she wasn't having it and left and did
> her shopping elsewhere.
>
> What is "sugar or sugared" paper??

Janet might be at alt.usage.english. Post it there.

Re: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, please

<94654f25-c1fc-4ce8-b740-563a189363aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=224962&group=rec.food.cooking#224962

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 12:57:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:57 UTC

On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 11:00:15 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2022-10-06, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >
> > What is "sugar or sugared" paper??
> >
> Google informs me that it's like cardstock or construction paper.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yes, I could have just as easily looked it up but I wanted to know
their explanation of it and if they'd used it and their thoughts.

Re: Sheila or Janet UK, a question, please

<jq8q9aFs45rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=224963&group=rec.food.cooking#224963

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 20:57:30 +0100
 by: S Viemeister - Thu, 6 Oct 2022 19:57 UTC

On 06/10/2022 16:34, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:

> Last night I was looking at program on the Acorn channel and it was
> about rationing in Great Britain in WWII.
>
> They were interviewing people who were young kids at the time of
> how their families coped and what they cooked and how they used
> everything. Of course rationing books came up and one woman was
> telling of the 2 ounces of butter they were to receive. They decided to
> go to the grocer in their neighborhood and he would weigh the butter
> out. But her mother objected to him putting the butter on "sugar or
> sugared" paper as it weighed more than I guess plain butchers paper.
> They got into an argument and she wasn't having it and left and did
> her shopping elsewhere.

I've never been to a grocer or butcher who didn't understand, and use,
the tare function on the shop scales.
Also - if I recall correctly, you had to register with a particular
shop, you couldn't just wander over to a different supplier.

Somewhere, I have an old ration book (rationing, in some form, continued
into the early 1950s) it may say something about that.

> What is "sugar or sugared" paper??

Not something I can recall running across.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Sheila or Janet UK, a question, please