What good is it if you talk in flowers, and they think in pastry? -- Ashleigh Brilliant

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

SubjectAuthor
* Dinner Tonight 10/4/22jmcquown
+- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Dave Smith
+* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Michael Trew
|`- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22jmcquown
+* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Cindy Hamilton
|+* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Gary
||+- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22tert in seattle
||`- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Bryan Simmons
|+- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Ed Pawlowski
|`* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22bruce bowser
| `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Bruce
|  `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22bruce bowser
|   +* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Bruce
|   |`* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22bruce bowser
|   | +- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Bruce
|   | `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Gary
|   |  `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Michael Trew
|   |   `- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Bruce
|   `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22bruce bowser
|    `- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Bruce
`* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Leonard Blaisdell
 +- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Bryan Simmons
 `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22jmcquown
  +* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Michael Trew
  |+* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Cindy Hamilton
  ||`* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Michael Trew
  || +- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Hank Rogers
  || `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Cindy Hamilton
  ||  `- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Dave Smith
  |`* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Gary
  | `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Dave Smith
  |  `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Gary
  |   `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Dave Smith
  |    `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Cindy Hamilton
  |     `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Dave Smith
  |      `- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Cindy Hamilton
  `* Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Sheldon Martin
   `- Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22Hank Rogers

Pages:12
Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<k530kh9oe19kndc3ac93td2h2t3pfhhr1l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225099&group=rec.food.cooking#225099

From: penmar...@aol.com (Sheldon Martin)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 07:50:28 -0400
 by: Sheldon Martin - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 11:50 UTC

On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 jmcquown wrote:
>On 10/6/2022 Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> On 2022-10-04, jmcquown wrote:
>>> A nicely marbled ribeye steak which I seasoned with S&P and garlic
>>> powder and wrapped and refrigerated yesterday to let the seasonings
>>> absorb. I'll be cooking it in the small cast iron skillet to medium-rare.
>>>
>>> I have a zucchini which needs to be cooked so I'll slice it length-wise,
>>> rub it with olive oil, season with S&P and pan fry it (separate skillet)
>>> until lightly browned outside and tender inside.
>>>
>>> What's on your menu?
>>
>> Lemme see, that was two days ago, so pork cutlets. More gravy was added
>> after the picture.
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/8fNn5ScT>
>>
>Hey, that looks like Country Fried Steak except it's pork! :)
>
>> Then, last night, Hawaiian steaks[1] and ham fried rice.
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/PpQnKK8r>
>>
>> Tonight, she's on her own.
>>
>> [1] thinnish top sirloin, marinated in 50 percent soy and 50 percent water
>> with a heaping tsp of garlic powder. I usually press in a couple of
>> cloves of garlic, but the head had rotted, thus the garlic powder
>> instead.
>>
>> leo
>
>This is where jarred garlic comes in handy. I know, people will <gasp>
>but really, it's better to have on hand in the fridge than rotted cloves
>of garlic when you go to press them. Garlic powder does have its place,
>for sure. :)
>
>Jill

I buy full heads but most times half the cloves rot before I can use
them all. I don't care for jarred garlic in liquid, has an off
flavor. I don't like garlic powder, it doesn't mix in evenly, it
tends to clump. I mostly use granulated garlic.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<thpdb5$3nvoc$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225114&group=rec.food.cooking#225114

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 10:33:10 -0400
 by: Gary - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 14:33 UTC

Michael Trew wrote:
> I've never had a head of garlic rot.  Always used within a month or two,
> and then buy a new one.

I've never had one rot. If one goes too long it will dehydrate and be
worthless.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<cKY%K.377053$wLZ8.124500@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225146&group=rec.food.cooking#225146

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 12:47:04 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 16:47 UTC

On 2022-10-07 10:33 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>> I've never had a head of garlic rot.  Always used within a month or
>> two, and then buy a new one.
>
> I've never had one rot. If one goes too long it will dehydrate and be
> worthless.

I have had lots of them turn to mold and shrivel up.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<px_%K.77493$Ve%5.53654@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225168&group=rec.food.cooking#225168

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 13:49:52 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 7 Oct 2022 18:49 UTC

Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 jmcquown wrote:

>>> Lemme see, that was two days ago, so pork cutlets. More gravy was added
>>> after the picture.
>>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/8fNn5ScT>
>>>
>> Hey, that looks like Country Fried Steak except it's pork! :)
>>
>>> Then, last night, Hawaiian steaks[1] and ham fried rice.
>>>
>>> <https://postimg.cc/PpQnKK8r>
>>>
>>> Tonight, she's on her own.
>>>
>>> [1] thinnish top sirloin, marinated in 50 percent soy and 50 percent water
>>> with a heaping tsp of garlic powder. I usually press in a couple of
>>> cloves of garlic, but the head had rotted, thus the garlic powder
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> leo
>>
>> This is where jarred garlic comes in handy. I know, people will <gasp>
>> but really, it's better to have on hand in the fridge than rotted cloves
>> of garlic when you go to press them. Garlic powder does have its place,
>> for sure. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> I buy full heads but most times half the cloves rot before I can use
> them all. I don't care for jarred garlic in liquid, has an off
> flavor. I don't like garlic powder, it doesn't mix in evenly, it
> tends to clump. I mostly use granulated garlic.

Plus, tops market puts rat turds in the powdered garlic.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<qy30L.82331$0qy7.63524@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225261&group=rec.food.cooking#225261

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 20:32:29 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 00:32 UTC

On 10/7/2022 4:44, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-10-07, Michael Trew<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've never had a head of garlic rot. Always used within a month or two,
>> and then buy a new one.
>>
>> Grandma always bought the jarred diced garlic. I used to, until a
>> couple of years ago, I decided to buy a head of garlic. Wow, was I
>> missing out! Far superior to jarred, flavor and all. I was able to
>> significantly cut down on garlic use and maintain flavor.
>
> Better still is homegrown garlic. That desiccated Chinese crap in the
> grocery store doesn't hold a candle to homegrown.
>
> I planted next year's garlic crop yesterday. One pound of garlic should
> yield about 50 heads. IIRC the 2022 harvest was 54 heads.

I've been meaning to try growing garlic. I really should. Onions and
potatoes, also. I picked the last of my egg plants, bell peppers, and
tomatoes the other day.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<5z40L.60510$kEr7.32662@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225292&group=rec.food.cooking#225292

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 20:41:19 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 01:41 UTC

Michael Trew wrote:
> On 10/7/2022 4:44, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-10-07, Michael Trew<michael.trew@att.net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never had a head of garlic rot.  Always used within a month
>>> or two,
>>> and then buy a new one.
>>>
>>> Grandma always bought the jarred diced garlic.  I used to, until a
>>> couple of years ago, I decided to buy a head of garlic.  Wow, was I
>>> missing out!  Far superior to jarred, flavor and all.  I was
>>> able to
>>> significantly cut down on garlic use and maintain flavor.
>>
>> Better still is homegrown garlic.  That desiccated Chinese crap
>> in the
>> grocery store doesn't hold a candle to homegrown.
>>
>> I planted next year's garlic crop yesterday.  One pound of garlic
>> should
>> yield about 50 heads.  IIRC the 2022 harvest was 54 heads.
>
> I've been meaning to try growing garlic.  I really should.  Onions
> and potatoes, also.  I picked the last of my egg plants, bell
> peppers, and tomatoes the other day.

Get Popeye to send yoose some garlic. But yoose will need a good
wheelbarrow. They weigh about 70 lb per head.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<n8b0L.757907$BKL8.497682@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225323&group=rec.food.cooking#225323

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 09:10:43 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 09:10 UTC

On 2022-10-08, Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
> On 10/7/2022 4:44, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-10-07, Michael Trew<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never had a head of garlic rot. Always used within a month or two,
>>> and then buy a new one.
>>>
>>> Grandma always bought the jarred diced garlic. I used to, until a
>>> couple of years ago, I decided to buy a head of garlic. Wow, was I
>>> missing out! Far superior to jarred, flavor and all. I was able to
>>> significantly cut down on garlic use and maintain flavor.
>>
>> Better still is homegrown garlic. That desiccated Chinese crap in the
>> grocery store doesn't hold a candle to homegrown.
>>
>> I planted next year's garlic crop yesterday. One pound of garlic should
>> yield about 50 heads. IIRC the 2022 harvest was 54 heads.
>
> I've been meaning to try growing garlic. I really should. Onions and
> potatoes, also. I picked the last of my egg plants, bell peppers, and
> tomatoes the other day.

I wouldn't imagine potatoes are worth growing, since they're cheap and
good at the grocery store. But I guess a hill or two might be fun to
try.

My first husband's family had a ginormous garden, including potatoes.
I helped them plant it one year.

My jalapeno plant still has fruit on it. I've only eaten a few peppers
from it; my tolerance for spicy food isn't what it used to be.

It's about done, anyway. It's supposed to freeze early this morning.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<%_e0L.757912$BKL8.359561@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225360&group=rec.food.cooking#225360

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 09:33:46 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 13:33 UTC

On 2022-10-08 5:10 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-10-08, Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

>> I've been meaning to try growing garlic. I really should. Onions and
>> potatoes, also. I picked the last of my egg plants, bell peppers, and
>> tomatoes the other day.
>
> I wouldn't imagine potatoes are worth growing, since they're cheap and
> good at the grocery store. But I guess a hill or two might be fun to
> try.

Freshly dug potatoes are delicious. When I had a garden I always had a
few piles and the fresh little potatoes were a real treat.

I have some garlic in my garden. I have never harvested it. I grew it
mainly as deterrent for Japanese beetles and it seems to have worked.

> It's about done, anyway. It's supposed to freeze early this morning.

We have a frost warning this weekend.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<ths8q3$7hr3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225400&group=rec.food.cooking#225400

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 12:34:11 -0400
 by: Gary - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 16:34 UTC

On 10/7/2022 12:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-10-07 10:33 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> Michael Trew wrote:
>>> I've never had a head of garlic rot.  Always used within a month or
>>> two, and then buy a new one.
>>
>> I've never had one rot. If one goes too long it will dehydrate and be
>> worthless.
>>

> I have had lots of them turn to mold and shrivel up.

I guess it's just how you store them and in various humidity.
Garlic head here stored in an open wire basket hanging on the side
of my kitchen cabinet.

I can only assume that one that actually rots might be stored in a
plastic bag - that would do it.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<iCi0L.383447$wLZ8.315816@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225417&group=rec.food.cooking#225417

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 13:40:30 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 17:40 UTC

On 2022-10-08 12:34 p.m., Gary wrote:
> On 10/7/2022 12:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I've never had one rot. If one goes too long it will dehydrate and be
>>> worthless.
>>>

>> I have had lots of them turn to mold and shrivel up.
>
> I guess it's just how you store them and in various humidity.
> Garlic head here stored in an open wire basket hanging on the side
> of my kitchen cabinet.
>
> I can only assume that one that actually rots might be stored in a
> plastic bag - that would do it.

Bad assumption. I keep my garlic in a ceramic pot that has holes in the
side. I have seen moldy garlic in grocery stores. I usually like to
have a good supply of garlic on hand but I am not going to go store to
store for a bud or two so I will pick over the offerings and take a good
looking one, but only one.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<UYj0L.84270$1Ly7.59032@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225441&group=rec.food.cooking#225441

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 19:12:52 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 19:12 UTC

On 2022-10-08, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> I have had lots of them turn to mold and shrivel up.
>>
>> I guess it's just how you store them and in various humidity.
>> Garlic head here stored in an open wire basket hanging on the side
>> of my kitchen cabinet.
>>
>> I can only assume that one that actually rots might be stored in a
>> plastic bag - that would do it.
>>

> Bad assumption. I keep my garlic in a ceramic pot that has holes in the
> side. I have seen moldy garlic in grocery stores. I usually like to
> have a good supply of garlic on hand but I am not going to go store to
> store for a bud or two so I will pick over the offerings and take a good
> looking one, but only one.

Near the end of June, I harvested 54 heads of garlic. I've probably
still got 40 heads down in the basement.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<Hxk0L.571346$Ny99.537506@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225459&group=rec.food.cooking#225459

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2022 15:52:06 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 19:52 UTC

On 2022-10-08 3:12 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-10-08, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On 2022-10-08 12:34 p.m., Gary wrote:
>>> On 10/7/2022 12:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>> I can only assume that one that actually rots might be stored in a
>>> plastic bag - that would do it.
>>>

>> Bad assumption. I keep my garlic in a ceramic pot that has holes in the
>> side. I have seen moldy garlic in grocery stores. I usually like to
>> have a good supply of garlic on hand but I am not going to go store to
>> store for a bud or two so I will pick over the offerings and take a good
>> looking one, but only one.
>
> Near the end of June, I harvested 54 heads of garlic. I've probably
> still got 40 heads down in the basement.

I dug a few up back in early summer, left them out to dry and they got
rained on and my wife threw them out. I suppose I should have dug some
more up if for no other reason than to thin them out. However, my
primary purpose for planting them there was to repel those pernicious
Japanese beetles. I have trellis with wisteria beside the patio and the
beetles use to come and devour all the new growth. There was enough new
stuff that they did not have to bother with the older tougher stuff.

Since I planted the garlic there they have left those wisteria alone.
They still go after the wisteria on the other side of the patio, but not
as bad as they used to.

Have you ever harvested and cooked up the garlic scapes? They are quite
tasty. A friend of mine has garlic farm and gave me some a couple years
ago. I sauteed them and served them with pasta.

Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22

<2Dk0L.415297$SAT4.188604@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=225464&group=rec.food.cooking#225464

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 19:57:50 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 8 Oct 2022 19:57 UTC

On 2022-10-08, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Have you ever harvested and cooked up the garlic scapes? They are quite
> tasty. A friend of mine has garlic farm and gave me some a couple years
> ago. I sauteed them and served them with pasta.

No. I think about it every time I cut off the scapes to keep the plants
interested in making heads of garlic rather than flowers.

--
Cindy Hamilton

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Dinner Tonight 10/4/22