From: sqwert...@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Subject: How to make Ginger Beer/Soda/Hard Cider
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:02:33 -0500
 by: Sqwertz - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 15:02 UTC

Lavlin EC-1118 Yeast
Mature Ginger (1 pound or more)
Distilled Water
A couple-few plastic jugs
Vanilla Flavoring (NO SORBATES)

I use 1.25lbs pound of ginger for every 2 gallons. It's very
strong - You could get away with .75lbs. I pulverize it in the
food processor into .5cm chunks and bring it to a boil in 2 liters
of water and then shut it off and let sit for 20 minutes while
mashing it with a slotted spoon a couple times.

Strain through two sieves, Then pour 5 more liters of water
through the mashed ginger and sieves. Add 3 cups cane sugar for
soda - 4 cups if making beer. When temp reaches 95-98F or so, Add
1/2 tsp/gallon Lavlin EC-1118. Or 1.5 tsp/gallon if making
alcoholic ginger beer.

Stir, Set for 10 minutes, Stir again.

For soda, funnel into clean plastic soda bottles, Add 6 drops of
vanilla using plastic pipettes per 500ml bottles (or 10 drops for
liter bottles - my preferrred) and cap tightly for 18 hours or
until neck of bottle becomes very hard (from CO2 pressure). Then
refrigerate in coldest spot of fridge for 10 hours and open
SLOWLY.

For beer, add 10 drops vanilla per liter of yeasted liquid and
vent with a bubble airlock. You can do this in one or two
containers. I use plastic gallon jugs that held apple juice [which
you can also ferment right from the grocery store - pour out 2
cups and add a cup of sugar and yeast per above - drill hole for
grommet and airlock]. Let it go at room temp for 5-7 days. Cap
with solid lid the last 18 hours to carbonate and then put into
fridge for 12 hours for CO2 to dissolve.

I do not use lemon juice but I also make carbonated lemonade the
same way (do NOT make alcoholic beer from lemons, only soda)

Happy Fermenting! <hic> :-)

Re: How to make Ginger Beer/Soda/Hard Cider

<ti7e3u$1j9cu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=226297&group=rec.food.cooking#226297

From: addr...@is.invalid (heyjoe)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: How to make Ginger Beer/Soda/Hard Cider
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 22:12:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: heyjoe - Wed, 12 Oct 2022 22:12 UTC

Sqwertz wrote :

> vent with a bubble airlock. You can do this in one or two
> containers. I use plastic gallon jugs that held apple juice [which
> you can also ferment right from the grocery store - pour out 2
> cups and add a cup of sugar and yeast per above - drill hole for
> grommet and airlock].

What airlock are you using (amazon link, please)? What size hole do you
drill? How do you clean the airlock between fermentations?

Are you using new yeast for every fermentation or have you started using
old ferments to start new batches?

How are you determining ABV? Do I need to buy a hydrometer?

--
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
Teach a woman to garden, the whole neighborhood gets zucchini.

Re: How to make Ginger Beer/Soda/Hard Cider

<1vq6yujcbwaxo$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=226332&group=rec.food.cooking#226332

From: sqwert...@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 19:51:54 -0500
 by: Sqwertz - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 00:51 UTC

https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermentation-airlock-sshaped.html

> What size hole do you drill?

1/2"

> How do you clean the airlock between fermentations?

I jut run hot water through it and fill it with salt water during
ferments.

> Are you using new yeast for every fermentation or have you started using
> old ferments to start new batches?

Yeast is cheap.

> How are you determining ABV? Do I need to buy a hydrometer?

And a tall (12+") cylinder.

-sw

interests / rec.food.cooking / How to make Ginger Beer/Soda/Hard Cider