From: emurph...@zoho.com (Edward Murphy)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Subject: Re: Why aren't beer and wine sold in plastic bottles ?
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 15:44:14 -0700
 by: Edward Murphy - Sun, 22 May 2022 22:44 UTC

On 5/22/2022 1:32 PM, henh...@gmail.com wrote:

> Why is it that beer and wine are not sold in plastic bottles ?
>

> i see lots of Web pages on this,
>
> but i can't get to concise (definitive - looking) answers
> nearly as easily as i've been able to in most cases. HH

Googling (plastic beer bottles) turns up the following, among others:

https://gizmodo.com/why-beer-isnt-sold-in-plastic-bottles-1629207952

https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-is-beer-not-in-plastic-bottles/

tl;dr:

* plastic would let CO2 out and/or oxygen in faster, beer would go flat

* plastic would leak dangerous chemicals into the beer; glass is
chemically neutral, aluminum is given a protective coating; alcohol
is more corrosive than soft drinks

* aluminum and colored glass protect against sunlight, doing same for
plastic would make it harder to recycle

* cheap plastic is warped by pasteurization

Not an exhaustive scientific explanation, but seems like a pretty
thorough picture at the layman's level, at least.

Other articles mention that customers are accustomed to glass or
aluminum, so offering something different can be a positive (touting
its advantages to stand out from the competition) or a negative
(subconsciously ignoring it as "not what I'm looking for").

Re: Why aren't beer and wine sold in plastic bottles ?

<1a446111-786c-4e87-be46-944c9151b5c9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=129&group=rec.puzzles#129

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 17:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Mon, 23 May 2022 00:38 UTC

On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 3:44:18 PM UTC-7, Edward Murphy wrote:
> On 5/22/2022 1:32 PM, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Why is it that beer and wine are not sold in plastic bottles ?
> >

> > i see lots of Web pages on this,
> >
> > but i can't get to concise (definitive - looking) answers
> > nearly as easily as i've been able to in most cases. HH
> Googling (plastic beer bottles) turns up the following, among others:
>
> https://gizmodo.com/why-beer-isnt-sold-in-plastic-bottles-1629207952
>
> https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-is-beer-not-in-plastic-bottles/
>
> tl;dr:
>
> * plastic would let CO2 out and/or oxygen in faster, beer would go flat
>
> * plastic would leak dangerous chemicals into the beer; glass is
> chemically neutral, aluminum is given a protective coating; alcohol
> is more corrosive than soft drinks
>
> * aluminum and colored glass protect against sunlight, doing same for
> plastic would make it harder to recycle
>
> * cheap plastic is warped by pasteurization
>
> Not an exhaustive scientific explanation, but seems like a pretty
> thorough picture at the layman's level, at least.
>
> Other articles mention that customers are accustomed to glass or
> aluminum, so offering something different can be a positive (touting
> its advantages to stand out from the competition) or a negative
> (subconsciously ignoring it as "not what I'm looking for").

thanks!!!

i remember ... 20 years ago i sometimes bought wine in a square cardboard box
it contained a transparent Plastic Sac inside. --- i wonder if these are still common.

Re: Why aren't beer and wine sold in plastic bottles ?

<t6f060$jat$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=130&group=rec.puzzles#130

From: rjh...@cpax.org.uk (Richard Heathfield)
Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 04:48:16 +0100
 by: Richard Heathfield - Mon, 23 May 2022 03:48 UTC

On 22/05/2022 11:44 pm, Edward Murphy wrote:
> On 5/22/2022 1:32 PM, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>   Why is it that  beer and wine are not sold  in plastic
>> bottles ?
>>

>>      i see lots of Web pages on this,
>>
>> but i can't get to concise  (definitive - looking) answers
>> nearly as easily as i've been able to   in most cases.   HH
>
> Googling (plastic beer bottles) turns up the following, among
> others:
>
> https://gizmodo.com/why-beer-isnt-sold-in-plastic-bottles-1629207952
>
> https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-is-beer-not-in-plastic-bottles/
>

> tl;dr:
>
> * plastic would let CO2 out and/or oxygen in faster, beer would
> go flat
>
> * plastic would leak dangerous chemicals into the beer; glass is
>   chemically neutral, aluminum is given a protective coating;
> alcohol
>   is more corrosive than soft drinks
>
> * aluminum and colored glass protect against sunlight, doing same
> for
>   plastic would make it harder to recycle
>
> * cheap plastic is warped by pasteurization
>
> Not an exhaustive scientific explanation, but seems like a pretty
> thorough picture at the layman's level, at least.
>
> Other articles mention that customers are accustomed to glass or
> aluminum, so offering something different can be a positive (touting
> its advantages to stand out from the competition) or a negative
> (subconsciously ignoring it as "not what I'm looking for").

In the 1980s and 1990s, beer *was* sold in plastic bottles.

I remember in 1992 or so buying two litres of plastic-bottled
beer from a supermarket after reading that garden slugs will
cheerfully drown themselves in beer.

It didn't work, of course. It turns out that even slugs are fussy
about beer.

--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk

Re: Why aren't beer and wine sold in plastic bottles ?

<7037764b-d8a7-4080-9ed4-683364e16800n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=132&group=rec.puzzles#132

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 22:33:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Mon, 23 May 2022 05:33 UTC

On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 8:48:19 PM UTC-7, Richard Heathfield wrote:
> On 22/05/2022 11:44 pm, Edward Murphy wrote:
> > On 5/22/2022 1:32 PM, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> Why is it that beer and wine are not sold in plastic
> >> bottles ?
> >>

> >> i see lots of Web pages on this,
> >>
> >> but i can't get to concise (definitive - looking) answers
> >> nearly as easily as i've been able to in most cases. HH
> >
> > Googling (plastic beer bottles) turns up the following, among
> > others:
> >
> > https://gizmodo.com/why-beer-isnt-sold-in-plastic-bottles-1629207952
> >
> > https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-is-beer-not-in-plastic-bottles/
> >

> > tl;dr:
> >
> > * plastic would let CO2 out and/or oxygen in faster, beer would
> > go flat
> >
> > * plastic would leak dangerous chemicals into the beer; glass is
> > chemically neutral, aluminum is given a protective coating;
> > alcohol
> > is more corrosive than soft drinks
> >
> > * aluminum and colored glass protect against sunlight, doing same
> > for
> > plastic would make it harder to recycle
> >
> > * cheap plastic is warped by pasteurization
> >
> > Not an exhaustive scientific explanation, but seems like a pretty
> > thorough picture at the layman's level, at least.
> >
> > Other articles mention that customers are accustomed to glass or
> > aluminum, so offering something different can be a positive (touting
> > its advantages to stand out from the competition) or a negative
> > (subconsciously ignoring it as "not what I'm looking for").
> In the 1980s and 1990s, beer *was* sold in plastic bottles.
>
> I remember in 1992 or so buying two litres of plastic-bottled
> beer from a supermarket after reading that garden slugs will
> cheerfully drown themselves in beer.
>
> It didn't work, of course. It turns out that even slugs are fussy
> about beer.
>
> --
> Richard Heathfield

i've seen some Youtube clips in which fish were (humanely) killed
by "drowning" them in soda pop water.

i suppose it 'd work on Frogs too

>>> How to Humanely Kill a Fish (6 Quick and Humane Ways)

Leave the fish for 10 minutes to ensure death This method works by creating a chemical reaction between the water and the baking soda releasing carbon dioxide into the water. This depletes the oxygen in the water rapidly, thus killing the fish, so it pretty much suffocates fish very quickly.

Re: Why aren't beer and wine sold in plastic bottles ?

<33e95a22-e3aa-41f6-ac76-6bc0eb281d22n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=227&group=rec.puzzles#227

Newsgroups: rec.puzzles
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 17:32:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 00:32 UTC

On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 10:33:04 PM UTC-7, henh...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 8:48:19 PM UTC-7, Richard Heathfield wrote:

> > > Googling (plastic beer bottles) turns up the following, among
> > > others:
> > >
> > > https://gizmodo.com/why-beer-isnt-sold-in-plastic-bottles-1629207952
> > >
> > > https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-is-beer-not-in-plastic-bottles/
> > >

> > > tl;dr:
> > >
> > > * plastic would let CO2 out and/or oxygen in faster, beer would
> > > go flat
> > >
> > > * plastic would leak dangerous chemicals into the beer; glass is
> > > chemically neutral, aluminum is given a protective coating;
> > > alcohol
> > > is more corrosive than soft drinks
> > >
> > > * aluminum and colored glass protect against sunlight, doing same
> > > for
> > > plastic would make it harder to recycle
> > >
> > > * cheap plastic is warped by pasteurization
> > >
> > > Not an exhaustive scientific explanation, but seems like a pretty
> > > thorough picture at the layman's level, at least.
> > >
> > > Other articles mention that customers are accustomed to glass or
> > > aluminum, so offering something different can be a positive (touting
> > > its advantages to stand out from the competition) or a negative
> > > (subconsciously ignoring it as "not what I'm looking for").
> > In the 1980s and 1990s, beer *was* sold in plastic bottles.
> >
> > I remember in 1992 or so buying two litres of plastic-bottled
> > beer from a supermarket after reading that garden slugs will
> > cheerfully drown themselves in beer.
> >
> > It didn't work, of course. It turns out that even slugs are fussy
> > about beer.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Heathfield

> i've seen some Youtube clips in which fish were (humanely) killed
> by "drowning" them in soda pop water.
>
> i suppose it 'd work on Frogs too

> Leave the fish for 10 minutes to ensure death This method works by creating a chemical reaction between the water and the baking soda releasing carbon dioxide into the water. This depletes the oxygen in the water rapidly, thus killing the fish, so it pretty much suffocates fish very quickly.

[beer sold in a plastic bottle] seems to be a trend... i saw some brands sold this way.

Miller's plastic beer bottle solves first of three marketplace ...https://www.packworld.com › design › article › millers-...
Two of Miller's plastic-bottled brews are essentially new products: cold-filtered Miller Lite and cold-filtered Icehouse. Up until now, those were pasteurized ...