Most people feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Bernie Sanders blasts Kroger's $24.6B Albertsons deal, calls it 'absolute disaster'

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Bernie Sanders blasts Kroger's $24.6B Albertsons deal, calls itbruce bowser
`- Re: Bernie Sanders blasts Kroger's $24.6B Albertsons deal, calls itBering Sea Bar & Brig@MarthaStewart.GoodThing

1
Re: Bernie Sanders blasts Kroger's $24.6B Albertsons deal, calls it 'absolute disaster'

<259d1211-d005-447f-aec5-a47ab0a8ffe1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=227121&group=rec.food.cooking#227121

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 08:26:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Bernie Sanders blasts Kroger's $24.6B Albertsons deal, calls it
'absolute disaster'
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 15:26 UTC

On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 8:35:05 AM UTC-4, Gregory P. Schermer wrote in alt.politics:
> In article <sve3p6$1rk3c$4...@news.freedyn.de>
> <governo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The disaster from Vermont squeaks.
> >

> CINCINNATI (ENQUIRER) - U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders called Kroger’s
> latest move an “absolute disaster” after the Cincinnati-based
> grocery retailer announced its plan to take over Albertsons in a
> $24.6 billion deal on Friday, according to the Cincinnati
> Enquirer.
>
> The combined sales of the two grocery store chains are nearly
> $210 billion, putting Kroger about $10 billion shy of U.S. food
> sales at Walmart, the world’s largest grocer.
>
> >> Kroger seeks to create grocery giant in $20B Albertsons bid <<
>
> In a tweet Friday, Sanders called on the White House to reject
> the merger.
>
> “At a time when food prices are soaring as a result of corporate
> greed, it would be an absolute disaster to allow Kroger, the 2nd
> largest grocery store in America, to merge with Albertsons, the
> 4th largest grocery store in America,” the Vermont progressive
> wrote. “The Biden Administration must reject this deal.”
>
> Sen. Elizabeth Warren reacted to the then-rumored merger in an
> interview with MSNBC on Thursday. The Massachusetts Democrat
> said the U.S. has failed to utilize antitrust laws for decades,
> the Enquirer reports.
>
> “For example, with grocery stores, remember how many grocery
> stores there used to be? And now what you have is a handful of
> giant chains,” Warren said.
>
> The senator said Kroger earned almost $900 million in the third
> quarter of 2021, more than three times the amount it made in the
> same time period in 2019.
>
> “That’s because they have a lot of market dominance,” she said.
> “If we move in on antitrust law, break up these giant
> corporations, then we get real competition and then we get
> markets that are truly competitive.”
>
> Kroger and Albertsons are expected to divest 100 to 375 stores
> to pacify antitrust concerns, leaving Kroger to operate more
> than 4,500 stores nationwide, according to the Enquirer.
> Albertsons’ investors will own a separate company that includes
> the divested stores.
>
> Both stores currently employ a combined 710,000 associates and
> operate 4,996 stores, 66 distribution centers, 52 manufacturing
> plants, 3,972 pharmacies and 2,015 fuel centers in 48 states and
> Washington D.C.
>
> https://www.fox19.com/2022/10/16/bernie-sanders-blasts-krogers-
> 246b-albertsons-deal-calls-it-absolute-disaster/

He might be right.

Re: Bernie Sanders blasts Kroger's $24.6B Albertsons deal, calls it 'absolute disaster'

<32c597c7-9ba5-4aa7-ab11-a76a423cf40an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=227495&group=rec.food.cooking#227495

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 15:29:50 -0700 (PDT)
'absolute disaster'
From: jgrov...@hotmail.com (Bering Sea Bar & Brig@MarthaStewart.GoodThing)
 by: Bering Sea Bar & - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 22:29 UTC

On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 10:26:39 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 8:35:05 AM UTC-4, Gregory P. Schermer wrote in alt.politics:
> > In article <sve3p6$1rk3c$4...@news.freedyn.de>
> > <governo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The disaster from Vermont squeaks.
> > >

> > CINCINNATI (ENQUIRER) - U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders called Kroger’s
> > latest move an “absolute disaster” after the Cincinnati-based
> > grocery retailer announced its plan to take over Albertsons in a
> > $24.6 billion deal on Friday, according to the Cincinnati
> > Enquirer.
> >
> > The combined sales of the two grocery store chains are nearly
> > $210 billion, putting Kroger about $10 billion shy of U.S. food
> > sales at Walmart, the world’s largest grocer.

> > In a tweet Friday, Sanders called on the White House to reject
> > the merger.
> >
> > “At a time when food prices are soaring as a result of corporate
> > greed, it would be an absolute disaster to allow Kroger, the 2nd
> > largest grocery store in America, to merge with Albertsons, the
> > 4th largest grocery store in America,” the Vermont progressive
> > wrote. “The Biden Administration must reject this deal.”
> >
> > Sen. Elizabeth Warren reacted to the then-rumored merger in an
> > interview with MSNBC on Thursday. The Massachusetts Democrat
> > said the U.S. has failed to utilize antitrust laws for decades,
> > the Enquirer reports.
> >
> > “For example, with grocery stores, remember how many grocery
> > stores there used to be? And now what you have is a handful of
> > giant chains,” Warren said.
> >
> > The senator said Kroger earned almost $900 million in the third
> > quarter of 2021, more than three times the amount it made in the
> > same time period in 2019.
> >
> > “That’s because they have a lot of market dominance,” she said.
> > “If we move in on antitrust law, break up these giant
> > corporations, then we get real competition and then we get
> > markets that are truly competitive.”
> >
> > Kroger and Albertsons are expected to divest 100 to 375 stores
> > to pacify antitrust concerns, leaving Kroger to operate more
> > than 4,500 stores nationwide, according to the Enquirer.
> > Albertsons’ investors will own a separate company that includes
> > the divested stores.
> >
> > Both stores currently employ a combined 710,000 associates and
> > operate 4,996 stores, 66 distribution centers, 52 manufacturing
> > plants, 3,972 pharmacies and 2,015 fuel centers in 48 states and
> > Washington D.C.
> >
> > https://www.fox19.com/2022/10/16/bernie-sanders-blasts-krogers-
> > 246b-albertsons-deal-calls-it-absolute-disaster/
>
> He might be right.

I drive past an Albertsons Jewels brand to shop at Kroger.Roundy.Marianios.
The Jewels unit needs to be spun off.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Bernie Sanders blasts Kroger's $24.6B Albertsons deal, calls it 'absolute disaster'