One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.

interests / soc.history.medieval / Re: Tavern Names in Medieval London

SubjectAuthor
* Tavern Names in Medieval Londona425couple
`* Re: Tavern Names in Medieval LondonThe Horny Goat
 `* Re: Tavern Names in Medieval LondonSurreyman
  `- Re: Tavern Names in Medieval Londona425couple

1
Tavern Names in Medieval London

<k19dM.3371079$iS99.1761469@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2296&group=soc.history.medieval#2296

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Tavern Names in Medieval London
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 14:44:48 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 29 May 2023 21:44 UTC

from

Tavern Names in Medieval London

What were the names of taverns in the Middle Ages? A list from late
medieval London reveals over 50 names, which were inspired by animals,
everyday objects and saints.

From 1423 to 1426 the names of over fifty taverns were recorded by
William Porland, who was the clerk for London’s fraternity of Brewers.
In an article in the Journal of the English Place-Name Society, Barrie
Cox described these names and the reasons for how they got them. Here
are some of our favourites:

1. The Swan
This was the most popular name, with six taverns in London using it.
Other taverns were named for birds as well, including The Crane and The
Cock. There were even taverns called The White Cock and The Red Cock.

2. The Dolphin (Dolphyn)
The name of a tavern near St. Magnus’ Church. Other animal names for
taverns include The Horse, The Lamb and The Old Bull.

3. The Seven Stars (vij Sterres)
According to medieval knowledge, the seven stars represented the sun,
the moon, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Venus and Mercury. Another tavern had
the name The Three Moons.

4. The King’s Head (kyngeshed)
A few other taverns had a similar name, including The Horse’s Head, The
Ram’s Head and The Saracen’s Head.

5. The Christopher
Two taverns were named after saints: The Christopher, after the patron
saint of travellers, and The St. Julian, who was the patron saint of
hospitality.

6. The Pewter Pot (peauterpotte)
This tavern ould be found in Ironmonger Lane in Cheapside. It probably
got its name from a type of drinking vessel.

7. The Pannier (panyer)
Located on Paternoster Row, it would have been based on the French word
panier, which means bread basket. Barrie Cox notes “this seems
appropriate as a name for a lowly eating- and drinking-house.”

8. The Cony (Cony yn Conyhooplane)
Derived from the Middle English word for a rabbit, Cox believes “the
name suggests a small tavern where a rabbit stew could be enjoyed.”

Other names of medieval taverns in London include The Ball, The Basket,
The Bell, The Cross, The Cup, The Garland, The Green Gate, The Hammer,
The Lattice, The Rose and two that were called The Ship.

Barrie Cox’ article ‘Some London Inn and Tavern Names 1423-1426’ appears
the Journal of the English Place-Name Society, Vol.30 (1997-8). He also
wrote the book English Inn and Tavern Names, which was published in 1994.

Top Image: Pieter Brueghel the Younger created this painting of peasants
outside a tavern, which was also named The Swan. Wikimedia Commons

Related Posts
Medieval Tavern Names
Boys' Names from Medieval London (not the usual ones!)
The most popular names in Medieval England
Elizabeth and John were the most popular names in 16th-century England
Girls' Names from Medieval London (not the usual ones!)
Subscribe to Medievalverse
Email address
First name
Last name
I consent to receiving your weekly newsletter via email.
SUBSCRIBE
Powered by EmailOctopus
TAGSLONDON IN THE MIDDLE AGES
Post navigation
Medievalists Membership
Become a member to get ad-free access to our website and our articles.
Thank you for supporting our website!

SIGN UP MEMBER LOGIN

Our Online Courses
Read Next
Medieval Tavern Names

https://www.medievalists.net/2023/05/tavern-names-medieval-london/

Re: Tavern Names in Medieval London

<b92d7idioiqflk997l6hpevcbn0tca0p5m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2298&group=soc.history.medieval#2298

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Subject: Re: Tavern Names in Medieval London
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 16:41:41 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Tue, 30 May 2023 23:41 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 14:44:48 -0700, a425couple
<a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:

>5. The Christopher
>Two taverns were named after saints: The Christopher, after the patron
>saint of travellers, and The St. Julian, who was the patron saint of
>hospitality.

I've always wondered - would the medieval or Renaissance layman be
familiar with what the various saints were said to be patrons of?

I'm expecting they would of the major saints (Peter, John, Matthew
etc) or local saints in their geographic area but surely not the
entire list of several hundred though they would probably be reminded
at church on a particular Saint's day.

Re: Tavern Names in Medieval London

<dab4cc80-89b1-4915-aaa3-978b3828557cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2299&group=soc.history.medieval#2299

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 01:11:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: alanspen...@googlemail.com (Surreyman)
 by: Surreyman - Wed, 31 May 2023 08:11 UTC

On Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 12:41:45 AM UTC+1, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 29 May 2023 14:44:48 -0700, a425couple
> <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >5. The Christopher
> >Two taverns were named after saints: The Christopher, after the patron
> >saint of travellers, and The St. Julian, who was the patron saint of
> >hospitality.
> I've always wondered - would the medieval or Renaissance layman be
> familiar with what the various saints were said to be patrons of?
>
> I'm expecting they would of the major saints (Peter, John, Matthew
> etc) or local saints in their geographic area but surely not the
> entire list of several hundred though they would probably be reminded
> at church on a particular Saint's day.

In practice, on the street, did it matter, any more than we might know to whom the Red Lion refers, etc.?

Re: Tavern Names in Medieval London

<kGLdM.3805998$vBI8.2179682@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2300&group=soc.history.medieval#2300

Newsgroups: soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 10:42:40 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 31 May 2023 17:42 UTC

On 5/31/23 01:11, Surreyman wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 12:41:45 AM UTC+1, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 May 2023 14:44:48 -0700, a425couple
>> <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 5. The Christopher
>>> Two taverns were named after saints: The Christopher, after the patron
>>> saint of travellers, and The St. Julian, who was the patron saint of
>>> hospitality.
>> I've always wondered - would the medieval or Renaissance layman be
>> familiar with what the various saints were said to be patrons of?
>>
>> I'm expecting they would of the major saints (Peter, John, Matthew
>> etc) or local saints in their geographic area but surely not the
>> entire list of several hundred though they would probably be reminded
>> at church on a particular Saint's day.
>
> In practice, on the street, did it matter, any more than we might know to whom the Red Lion refers, etc.?

I'd imagine, that for the local folk, the names meant little,
as they had a fair knowledge of who ran it, and who hung
out there, the cost and quality.
But for a traveler the name could indeed matter. If one
was on a pilgrimage a place named, The Christopher, after
the patron saint of travellers might win a flip of the coin.