Mediocrity finds safety in standardization. -- Frederick Crane

interests / rec.birds / Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

SubjectAuthor
* Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?jmcquown
`* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?Leon Fisk
 `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?jmcquown
  `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?Leon Fisk
   `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?jmcquown
    `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?Leon Fisk
     `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?super70s
      `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?jmcquown
       `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?Leon Fisk
        `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?jmcquown
         `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?Leon Fisk
          +* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?super70s
          |+- Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?Leon Fisk
          |`- Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?jmcquown
          +* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?Richard Owlett
          |`- Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?Leon Fisk
          `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?jmcquown
           `* Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?Leon Fisk
            `- Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?jmcquown

1
Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<PCNtN.202318$vFZa.28656@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=226&group=rec.birds#226

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Subject: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 08:20:43 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:20 UTC

My Panasonic Lumix (DC-ZS70) which I purchased for under $300 about five
years ago has suddenly stopped charging the battery (two of them,
approx. 6 months old). I love this camera but the newer models are
priced through the roof. Any recommendations for another easy to use
point & shoot camera with good zoom and auto-focus that won't cost an
arm and a leg?

Jill

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<up8j7d$g0hj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=227&group=rec.birds#227

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:19:56 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:19 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 08:20:43 -0500
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

>My Panasonic Lumix (DC-ZS70) which I purchased for under $300 about five
>years ago has suddenly stopped charging the battery (two of them,
>approx. 6 months old). I love this camera but the newer models are
>priced through the roof. Any recommendations for another easy to use
>point & shoot camera with good zoom and auto-focus that won't cost an
>arm and a leg?
>
>Jill

Found an online manual, that's a decent little camera👍

Are those batteries you're having trouble with originals? Reason I ask
is a lot of the inexpensive ones you can get on say Amazon aren't very
good even though they may look great. I bought a Kastar for my Lumix
Video recorder from Amazon and never even got one use out of it.
Checked okay when I received it, but it was dead and won't even try to
charge anymore when I went to use it...

Do your batteries try to charge, indicator comes on and goes off later
on?

Haven't looked into cameras lately, still using my old ones so not in a
position to recommend anything...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<0yQtN.54001$6ePe.11704@fx42.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=228&group=rec.birds#228

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:40:23 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 16:40 UTC

On 1/29/2024 11:19 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 08:20:43 -0500
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> My Panasonic Lumix (DC-ZS70) which I purchased for under $300 about five
>> years ago has suddenly stopped charging the battery (two of them,
>> approx. 6 months old). I love this camera but the newer models are
>> priced through the roof. Any recommendations for another easy to use
>> point & shoot camera with good zoom and auto-focus that won't cost an
>> arm and a leg?
>>
>> Jill
>
> Found an online manual, that's a decent little camera👍
>
> Are those batteries you're having trouble with originals?

Orginals and a couple of replacement batteries. Won't charge.

> Reason I ask
> is a lot of the inexpensive ones you can get on say Amazon aren't very
> good even though they may look great. I bought a Kastar for my Lumix
> Video recorder from Amazon and never even got one use out of it.
> Checked okay when I received it, but it was dead and won't even try to
> charge anymore when I went to use it...

Sorry to hear that. I bought other replacement BM batteries for this
camera and they didn't work, either.

> Do your batteries try to charge, indicator comes on and goes off later
> on?

The indicator light says it's charging, then it goes off and the battery
is still not charged. I turn on the camera and it says "battery fail".

> Haven't looked into cameras lately, still using my old ones so not in a
> position to recommend anything...

Too bad, I was hoping for some recommendation for a new camera. I feel
rather helpless when I can't just grab my camera and take a pic of the
birds. I love taking pictures of the birds. :)

Jill
Jill

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<up8t9r$irqr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=229&group=rec.birds#229

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 15:11:54 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:11 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:40:23 -0500
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
>The indicator light says it's charging, then it goes off and the battery
>is still not charged. I turn on the camera and it says "battery fail".

You can get a separate charger for these batteries, like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880162-REG/watson_c_3635_compact_ac_dc_charger_for.html

I've become leery of Amazon nowadays but they sell separate chargers
too.

https://www.amazon.com/Watson-Compact-DMW-BLE9-DMW-BLG10-Panasonic/dp/B00G4L84TI/

Just guessing... the original batteries grew weak after 5 years? and
the BM batteries are not so good. A separate charger would probably
verify this.

The USB cable appears to be a Micro-B which is/was used by a lot of
phone chargers. So you could try a different cable+wall-wart to rule
that out. Most any standard Wall-wart with USB-A receptacle on it would
work too.

I would check it out for you but it's a pretty long drive and my Lear
Jet is in the shop😉

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<PG6uN.315045$xHn7.161089@fx14.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=230&group=rec.birds#230

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:18:34 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 13:18 UTC

On 1/29/2024 2:11 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:40:23 -0500
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> The indicator light says it's charging, then it goes off and the battery
>> is still not charged. I turn on the camera and it says "battery fail".
>
> You can get a separate charger for these batteries, like this:
>
> https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880162-REG/watson_c_3635_compact_ac_dc_charger_for.html
>
> I've become leery of Amazon nowadays but they sell separate chargers
> too.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Watson-Compact-DMW-BLE9-DMW-BLG10-Panasonic/dp/B00G4L84TI/
>
> Just guessing... the original batteries grew weak after 5 years? and
> the BM batteries are not so good. A separate charger would probably
> verify this.
>
> The USB cable appears to be a Micro-B which is/was used by a lot of
> phone chargers. So you could try a different cable+wall-wart to rule
> that out. Most any standard Wall-wart with USB-A receptacle on it would
> work too.
>
> I would check it out for you but it's a pretty long drive and my Lear
> Jet is in the shop😉

Wait, your Lear is in the shop? Darnit! I was about to notify the
nearby private airport to expect your arrival! ;) The BM batteries came
with a separate dual USB charger which turns from red to green when the
batteries are charged. The BM "replacement" batteries showed green but
when I put them in the camera it doesn't read them.

For grins and giggles I just put the two "official" Lumix batteries on
it again and plugged it into the USB port. The lights on the charger
are red and should switch to green if/when they charge. Time will tell.

I'm still suspecting I need a new camera. :(

Jill

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<upb21f$1011p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=231&group=rec.birds#231

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 10:45:03 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 14:45 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:18:34 -0500
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
>For grins and giggles I just put the two "official" Lumix batteries on
>it again and plugged it into the USB port. The lights on the charger
>are red and should switch to green if/when they charge. Time will tell.
>
>I'm still suspecting I need a new camera. :(

If your old ones do indeed charge for awhile (don't just finish
quickly in a few minutes) I suspect your camera will work but not
last well like when it was new...

I've investigated BM batteries before at Amazon, read through the
reviews. They don't last as long as originals and don't hold up well if
at all. See:

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B01BFSF1EA/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=four_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar

There are a lot of subpar Lithium Batteries being sold nowadays, some
are counterfeit, even matching the original labeling. This is a bit
boring, technical but see:

https://etn.news/energy-storage/determining-authenticity-of-cells-batteries-in-the-global-market

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<upbd7a$1394c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=232&group=rec.birds#232

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:55:54 -0600
 by: super70s - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:55 UTC

On 2024-01-30 14:45:03 +0000, Leon Fisk said:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:18:34 -0500
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> For grins and giggles I just put the two "official" Lumix batteries on
>> it again and plugged it into the USB port. The lights on the charger
>> are red and should switch to green if/when they charge. Time will tell.
>>
>> I'm still suspecting I need a new camera. :(
>
> If your old ones do indeed charge for awhile (don't just finish
> quickly in a few minutes) I suspect your camera will work but not
> last well like when it was new...
>
> I've investigated BM batteries before at Amazon, read through the
> reviews. They don't last as long as originals and don't hold up well if
> at all. See:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B01BFSF1EA/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=four_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar
>

> There are a lot of subpar Lithium Batteries being sold nowadays, some
> are counterfeit, even matching the original labeling. This is a bit
> boring, technical but see:
>
> https://etn.news/energy-storage/determining-authenticity-of-cells-batteries-in-the-global-market

I have this old Canon PowerShot I use just to get pics on the computer.
I have the original Canon battery and a generic one I bought for when
the other one is used up.

The last time I tried to charge the generic one the charger indicated
it was fully charged, but the camera said it was dead. I charged the
original Canon battery and it worked fine.

So the point is you should make sure you're using the Panasonic brand
batteries with your camera (if Panasonic is still making them, if not
try to get a brand name).

BTW I had a similar problem with a Canon laserjet printer I own, the
generic ink refills don't work very well but the original Canon refills
work fine!

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<gueuN.258117$7sbb.85470@fx16.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=233&group=rec.birds#233

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:11:18 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 22:11 UTC

On 1/30/2024 12:55 PM, super70s wrote:
> On 2024-01-30 14:45:03 +0000, Leon Fisk said:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:18:34 -0500
>> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> For grins and giggles I just put the two "official" Lumix batteries on
>>> it again and plugged it into the USB port.  The lights on the charger
>>> are red and should switch to green if/when they charge.  Time will tell.
>>>
>>> I'm still suspecting I need a new camera. :(
>>
>> If your old ones do indeed charge for awhile (don't just finish
>> quickly in a few minutes) I suspect your camera will work but not
>> last well like when it was new...
>>
>> I've investigated BM batteries before at Amazon, read through the
>> reviews. They don't last as long as originals and don't hold up well if
>> at all. See:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B01BFSF1EA/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=four_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar
>>
>> There are a lot of subpar Lithium Batteries being sold nowadays, some
>> are counterfeit, even matching the original labeling. This is a bit
>> boring, technical but see:
>>
>> https://etn.news/energy-storage/determining-authenticity-of-cells-batteries-in-the-global-market
>
> I have this old Canon PowerShot I use just to get pics on the computer.
> I have the original Canon battery and a generic one I bought for when
> the other one is used up.
>
> The last time I tried to charge the generic one the charger indicated it
> was fully charged, but the camera said it was dead. I charged the
> original Canon battery and it worked fine.
>
> So the point is you should make sure you're using the Panasonic brand
> batteries with your camera (if Panasonic is still making them, if not
> try to get a brand name).
>
> BTW I had a similar problem with a Canon laserjet printer I own, the
> generic ink refills don't work very well but the original Canon refills
> work fine!

Thanks guys! Just for grins I tried charging the two "official" Lumix
batteries using the dual USB charger that came with the BM batteries.
This time it worked just fine; the camera fired right up and indicates a
full charge. So I now have two fully charged Lumix batteries. (Note:
the Panasonic manual says ONLY use the charger that came with the
camera, which was a bit of misdirection on their part.) I'm so glad I
don't have try to find another camera. Now I just need some birds to
show up. :)

Jill

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<upbsgr$14ove$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=234&group=rec.birds#234

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 18:16:59 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 22:16 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:11:18 -0500
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
>Thanks guys! Just for grins I tried charging the two "official" Lumix
>batteries using the dual USB charger that came with the BM batteries.
>This time it worked just fine; the camera fired right up and indicates a
>full charge. So I now have two fully charged Lumix batteries. (Note:
>the Panasonic manual says ONLY use the charger that came with the
>camera, which was a bit of misdirection on their part.) I'm so glad I
>don't have try to find another camera. Now I just need some birds to
>show up. :)

That's great and you're welcome👍

I see ALL your pictures here, I just don't always reply🙄

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<v2fuN.292660$PuZ9.148745@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=235&group=rec.birds#235

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:49:58 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 22:49 UTC

On 1/30/2024 5:16 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:11:18 -0500
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Thanks guys! Just for grins I tried charging the two "official" Lumix
>> batteries using the dual USB charger that came with the BM batteries.
>> This time it worked just fine; the camera fired right up and indicates a
>> full charge. So I now have two fully charged Lumix batteries. (Note:
>> the Panasonic manual says ONLY use the charger that came with the
>> camera, which was a bit of misdirection on their part.) I'm so glad I
>> don't have try to find another camera. Now I just need some birds to
>> show up. :)
>
> That's great and you're welcome👍
>
> I see ALL your pictures here, I just don't always reply🙄

Hopefully you like them. :) We have a cork-board in the break room at
work. I print and post wildlife pics there. People seem to get a kick
out of them. One woman asked me if I go out and look for birds. Nope,
I'm lazy. I sit at my desk in the corner of the living room. There's a
window in front of with a view of the hummingbird feeder. A window to
my left where I can see the patio with the the seed feeder, suet cage
and the small bird bath. All I have to do is grab the camera, turn,
focus, click! I do have to wash the windows occasionally. :)

When this whole camera battery thing started I saw a bright yellow bird
on the patio and I couldn't get a picture of it! It's too early in the
year for goldfinches; I still have no idea what it was. It hasn't been
back.

Jill

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<updmuk$1go14$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236&group=rec.birds#236

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:54:12 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 14:54 UTC

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:49:58 -0500
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hopefully you like them. :) We have a cork-board in the break room at
>work. I print and post wildlife pics there. People seem to get a kick
>out of them. One woman asked me if I go out and look for birds. Nope,
>I'm lazy. I sit at my desk in the corner of the living room. There's a
>window in front of with a view of the hummingbird feeder. A window to
>my left where I can see the patio with the the seed feeder, suet cage
>and the small bird bath. All I have to do is grab the camera, turn,
>focus, click! I do have to wash the windows occasionally. :)
>
>When this whole camera battery thing started I saw a bright yellow bird
>on the patio and I couldn't get a picture of it! It's too early in the
>year for goldfinches; I still have no idea what it was. It hasn't been
>back.

Hi Jill,

Oh I like seeing what other people are seeing, so yes indeed. Always
nice to have some sharing of one's hobbies at the office. Makes for a
much more pleasant place to work🙂

I used to go out purposely to look for birds with binocs and such.
Nowadays I just see what's about while doing my daily walks. On a
rather nasty day a week or so ago I could have used the binocs.
Rather think it was a group of Redpolls but just guessing. They weren't
any of the usual birds I come across and not close enough for any good
detail... I'd read that the Redpolls were about this year in our area
but have not seen any. My little feeder doesn't work for them, not their
style of eatery. It's right by the window, so easy to take pics if I
feel ambitious. Put a couple here with a Downy and a Titmouse. Old
style plate glass window, so not the best to shoot through for pics...

https://postimg.cc/gallery/nnzHyyG

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<upds1a$1jhuq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237&group=rec.birds#237

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:20:58 -0600
 by: super70s - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:20 UTC

Yesterday I was watching my seed and suet feeders from the window,
about 30 feet farther in the woods I spotted a pileated woodpecker
pecking away on a dead tree that had fallen a few years ago, he must
have been scrounging for insects in the log. I ran for my binoculars so
I could get a better view. Unfortunately he didn't come to the suet
feeder so I could get a better look, they're so shy I doubt they ever
come to the feeders close to a house.

I used to have my pole seed feeder in the back yard for many years but
late last year I moved it about 10 feet from the suet feeder (which
hangs from a maple tree) so I could watch it better. I couldn't watch
it from any window in the back of the house. It's really good for
winter weather when I'm not outside that much.

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<upe63n$1lb09$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238&group=rec.birds#238

From: rowl...@access.net (Richard Owlett)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 13:12:55 -0600
 by: Richard Owlett - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 19:12 UTC

On 01/31/2024 08:54 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:49:58 -0500
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hopefully you like them. :) We have a cork-board in the break room at
>> work. I print and post wildlife pics there. People seem to get a kick
>> out of them. One woman asked me if I go out and look for birds. Nope,
>> I'm lazy. I sit at my desk in the corner of the living room. There's a
>> window in front of with a view of the hummingbird feeder. A window to
>> my left where I can see the patio with the the seed feeder, suet cage
>> and the small bird bath. All I have to do is grab the camera, turn,
>> focus, click! I do have to wash the windows occasionally. :)
>>
>> When this whole camera battery thing started I saw a bright yellow bird
>> on the patio and I couldn't get a picture of it! It's too early in the
>> year for goldfinches; I still have no idea what it was. It hasn't been
>> back.
>

> Hi Jill,
>
> Oh I like seeing what other people are seeing, so yes indeed. Always
> nice to have some sharing of one's hobbies at the office. Makes for a
> much more pleasant place to work🙂
>
> I used to go out purposely to look for birds with binocs and such.
> Nowadays I just see what's about while doing my daily walks. On a
> rather nasty day a week or so ago I could have used the binocs.
> Rather think it was a group of Redpolls but just guessing. They weren't
> any of the usual birds I come across and not close enough for any good
> detail... I'd read that the Redpolls were about this year in our area
> but have not seen any. My little feeder doesn't work for them, not their
> style of eatery. It's right by the window, so easy to take pics if I
> feel ambitious. Put a couple here with a Downy and a Titmouse. Old
> style plate glass window, so not the best to shoot through for pics...
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/nnzHyyG

Looked fine to me.
A. Lurker

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<upe86s$1kugi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239&group=rec.birds#239

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:48:44 -0400
<updmuk$1go14$1@dont-email.me>
<upe63n$1lb09$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Leon Fisk - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 19:48 UTC

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 13:12:55 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@access.net> wrote:

>Looked fine to me.

Thanks!

It's maybe a foot from the window. Sometimes I get a few window strikes
when I haven't had it up in awhile. With it being so close birds don't
have time to get going very fast so it's doubtful they get hurt much.
I know they catch on real quick and then it stops. Nothing like being
only a foot or two away for a good look at them👍

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<upe8v5$1kugi$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=240&group=rec.birds#240

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 16:01:41 -0400
<updmuk$1go14$1@dont-email.me>
<upds1a$1jhuq$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Leon Fisk - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 20:01 UTC

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:20:58 -0600
super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>Yesterday I was watching my seed and suet feeders from the window,
>about 30 feet farther in the woods I spotted a pileated woodpecker
>pecking away on a dead tree that had fallen a few years ago, he must
>have been scrounging for insects in the log. I ran for my binoculars
>so I could get a better view. Unfortunately he didn't come to the suet
>feeder so I could get a better look, they're so shy I doubt they ever
>come to the feeders close to a house.
<snip>

Same here, Pileateds seem to be shy and keep their distance. We have
some nearby now the past few years. Used to have to travel several
miles away to see them. Lucky to get within 50 yards of them before
they fly off. If you're outside and can hear them, their pecking is
kinda unique and can quickly clue you in that one is nearby.

Many years ago I was visiting a State park in our UP area. I was able
to watch one with binoculars from maybe 20ft working a stump for
several minutes. Suspect it may have been acclimatized to people due to
the park area...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<VDAuN.86394$m4d.17450@fx43.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241&group=rec.birds#241

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:23:28 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 23:23 UTC

On 1/31/2024 9:54 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:49:58 -0500
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hopefully you like them. :) We have a cork-board in the break room at
>> work. I print and post wildlife pics there. People seem to get a kick
>> out of them. One woman asked me if I go out and look for birds. Nope,
>> I'm lazy. I sit at my desk in the corner of the living room. There's a
>> window in front of with a view of the hummingbird feeder. A window to
>> my left where I can see the patio with the the seed feeder, suet cage
>> and the small bird bath. All I have to do is grab the camera, turn,
>> focus, click! I do have to wash the windows occasionally. :)
>>
>> When this whole camera battery thing started I saw a bright yellow bird
>> on the patio and I couldn't get a picture of it! It's too early in the
>> year for goldfinches; I still have no idea what it was. It hasn't been
>> back.
>

> Hi Jill,
>
> Oh I like seeing what other people are seeing, so yes indeed. Always
> nice to have some sharing of one's hobbies at the office. Makes for a
> much more pleasant place to work🙂

We don't all work for the same company. It's a small building with a
bunch of different businesses and a shared break room.

> I used to go out purposely to look for birds with binocs and such.
> Nowadays I just see what's about while doing my daily walks. On a
> rather nasty day a week or so ago I could have used the binocs.
> Rather think it was a group of Redpolls but just guessing. They weren't
> any of the usual birds I come across and not close enough for any good
> detail... I'd read that the Redpolls were about this year in our area
> but have not seen any. My little feeder doesn't work for them, not their
> style of eatery. It's right by the window, so easy to take pics if I
> feel ambitious. Put a couple here with a Downy and a Titmouse. Old
> style plate glass window, so not the best to shoot through for pics...
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/nnzHyyG

Nice! Titmice are common visitors. Carolina chickadees, too, which
bear a striking resemblence to their Northern black-capped chickadee
cousins. I do have to wash the windows from time to time. :)

Jill

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<0IAuN.251319$Ama9.93800@fx12.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=242&group=rec.birds#242

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:27:52 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 23:27 UTC

On 1/31/2024 11:20 AM, super70s wrote:
> Yesterday I was watching my seed and suet feeders from the window, about
> 30 feet farther in the woods I spotted a pileated woodpecker pecking
> away on a dead tree that had fallen a few years ago, he must have been
> scrounging for insects in the log. I ran for my binoculars so I could
> get a better view. Unfortunately he didn't come to the suet feeder so I
> could get a better look, they're so shy I doubt they ever come to the
> feeders close to a house.

I haven't seen a pileated woodpecker in years! I got a pic of one, must
have been at least 10 years ago now, hammering away on a live oak tree
at the back corner of my neighbors house by her patio. That neighbor
moved away and the new owner had the tree removed because the tree roots
were messing up the brick patio and threatening the cement slab
foundation. I haven't a pileated woodpecker since. I don't have the
photo of it, anymore, either.

> I used to have my pole seed feeder in the back yard for many years but
> late last year I moved it about 10 feet from the suet feeder (which
> hangs from a maple tree) so I could watch it better. I couldn't watch it
> from any window in the back of the house. It's really good for winter
> weather when I'm not outside that much.

Location, location, location. :)

Jill

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<uph28h$25t1r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=243&group=rec.birds#243

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 17:25:37 -0400
<updmuk$1go14$1@dont-email.me>
<VDAuN.86394$m4d.17450@fx43.iad>
 by: Leon Fisk - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:25 UTC

On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:23:28 -0500
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
>Carolina chickadees, too, which
>bear a striking resemblence to their Northern black-capped chickadee
>cousins.

Took a picture of the Black-capped Chickadee for you🙂

https://postimg.cc/Czwr7Wqm

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Good, Inexpensive Point & Shoot Camera?

<YeUuN.205687$vFZa.81810@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=244&group=rec.birds#244

Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:42:11 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:42 UTC

On 2/1/2024 4:25 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:23:28 -0500
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Carolina chickadees, too, which
>> bear a striking resemblence to their Northern black-capped chickadee
>> cousins.
>
> Took a picture of the Black-capped Chickadee for you🙂
>
> https://postimg.cc/Czwr7Wqm

Thanks! They're cute little birds. :)

Jill