From: 369a6e9a...@example.com (HomeOwnersHub Advisor)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: hydrangea culture
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 15:31:51 +0000
 by: HomeOwnersHub Adviso - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 15:31 UTC

> it's almost August and my hydrangeas have not bloomed yet. Is it a normal late variety.?

Hydrangeas are beloved for their large, showy blooms, but when they fail to flower as expected, it can be concerning for gardeners. There are several reasons why hydrangeas might not bloom, including the variety of hydrangea, pruning habits, winter damage, and environmental conditions.

+ ***Variety Matters***: Different species of hydrangeas bloom at different times and have different blooming habits:
+ ***Bigleaf hydrangeas (Hydrangea macrophylla)***: These are the most common garden hydrangeas. They bloom on old wood (last year's stems). If they were pruned late in the season (after midsummer), it could remove the next year's buds. Also, a harsh winter or late spring frost can damage the buds.
+ ***Panicle hydrangeas (Hydrangea paniculata)*** and ***Smooth hydrangeas (Hydrangea arborescens***): These types bloom on new wood (current year's growth). They typically bloom later in the summer, so they might be just getting ready to bloom in August.
+ ***Oakleaf hydrangea (Hydrangea quercifolia)***: This type blooms on old wood, much like the Bigleaf hydrangea. They typically bloom earlier in the summer.
+ Based on the time of year, if you have a Panicle or Smooth hydrangea, it might still be gearing up to bloom. However, if it's a Bigleaf or Oakleaf hydrangea, it may have missed its window due to the reasons mentioned.
+ ***Pruning***: As mentioned, hydrangeas that bloom on old wood can fail to flower if they're pruned at the wrong time. It's best to prune these varieties shortly after they finish blooming in the summer, so you don't accidentally cut off next year's buds. On the other hand, those that bloom on new wood can be pruned in late winter or early spring without harming their bloom cycle.
+ ***Winter Kill***: If you experienced a particularly harsh winter, the flower buds on hydrangeas that bloom on old wood might have been damaged or killed, preventing them from flowering.
+ ***Site and Care***: Hydrangeas prefer a location that gets morning sun and afternoon shade, particularly in hotter climates. Too much shade can reduce blooming. Moreover, ensure they receive adequate water, especially during dry spells, and consider a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in spring.
+ ***Maturity***: Very young plants might not bloom their first year or two as they're still establishing their root system.+ +

To determine whether it's a late-blooming variety or if there's an underlying issue, consider the type of hydrangea you have and the above factors. With proper care, most hydrangeas will reward gardeners with their stunning blooms. If you continue to have issues, you might consult with a local nursery or extension service familiar with your region's specific conditions.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden/hydrangea-culture-3426105-.htm