From: m...@m.com (World90)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: More philosophy about black box models and too much abstraction..
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 18:23:58 -0400
 by: World90 - Sun, 30 May 2021 22:23 UTC

Hello,

More philosophy about black box models and too much abstraction..

I am a white arab and i think i am smart since i have also invented many
scalable algorithms and algorithms..

I think that black box models in AI in deep learning etc. are also too
much abstraction, and speaking about THE too much abstraction, i invite
you to read my following thoughts of my philosophy about Liberalism of
the philosopher and economist Adam Smith:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.programming.threads/c/-UEOsak12mM

So as you are noticing from my thoughts in the above web link that the
economic Liberalism of Adam Smith is a too reductionist system that is
too much abstraction that doesn't work correctly and i am explaining it
in my thoughts above of my philosophy, other than that notice that
economic Liberalism of Adam Smith is not even taking into account an
important factor that i am speaking about in my below thoughts and it is
the too much abstraction that can happen in economy and that can lead to
inefficiency, so as you are noticing that this too much abstraction can
not be based on monopolistic practices, but it can lead to inefficiency,
i mean for example when you abstract too much, the others can not be
able of understanding sufficiently and correctly the inside or the
behind of your abstraction, so they can "lack" understanding and be
inefficient, so we have to be careful about cloud computing of Amazon
and such that can become a too much abstraction that leads to this kind
of inefficiency, so i think it is too much abstraction if you program
the software in a too high level way lacking programming and
understanding of the lower level ways of programming.

More philosophy about abstraction and the Divide and Conquer methodology..

I think that humanity is abstracting much more with cloud computing and
with functional programming and such, but since i think i am a
philosopher, there is a question in philosophy and it is the following:

Is abstraction always good ?

I think that abstraction comes with disadvantages and advantages,
so the best way is to know how to balance, it is like balancing between
Evolutionary design with an agile discipline and Planned design since
they both come with disadvantages and advantages, so abstraction can
come with disadvantages like the disadvantage that i am speaking about
below, since functional programming has the tendency to much more
move the data between a memory region and another memory region, and it
is inefficient, so i think that we have to take it into account and know
how to balance between abstraction and performance or speed, also
abstraction comes with another important disadvantage , and it is
that it can become a monopolistic practice, i mean that when you
abstract, the others can become too dependent on your abstraction and
they can not understand the inside of the abstraction,
so they can become inefficient, so we have to be careful about
abstraction since too much abstraction is not good, so i think that
functional programming is too much abstraction and i think Chapel
is too much abstraction, read here more about Chapel:

WILL CHAPEL MARK NEXT GREAT AWAKENING FOR PARALLEL PROGRAMMERS?

https://www.nextplatform.com/2018/04/10/will-chapel-mark-next-great-awakening-for-parallel-programmers/

Read my previous thoughts so that to understand more:

More philosophy about one of the most important disadvantage of
functional programming..

I have just posted previously my thoughts about continuation—passing
style (CPS) and Monads, here they are:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi/c/kdP6YSTcjj4

I think i am smart and i have just "quickly" noticed that when you are
using patterns of functional programming such as Map and Monads ,
it will come with a very important disadvantage, and it is that you will
move much more the data from a memory region to another memory region,
so it is not efficient, since it is really slower, and i think that
it is one of the most important disadvantage of functional programming,
since functional programming abstracts more, but it is really slower, so
i have just given you previously an example of a "Maybe" Monad in
Delphi, and here is an example of the "List" Monad in Delphi and notice
how it is really slower by moving the data to the the returned result of
the "Bind" function of the Monad as TmList object:

program List_monad;

{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}

uses
System.SysUtils;

type
TmList = record
Value: TArray<Integer>;
function ToString: string;
function Bind(f: TFunc<TArray<Integer>, TmList>): TmList;
end;

function Create(aValue: TArray<Integer>): TmList;
begin
Result.Value := copy(aValue, 0, length(aValue));
end;

{ TmList }

function TmList.Bind(f: TFunc<TArray<Integer>, TmList>): TmList;
begin
Result := f(self.Value);
end;

function TmList.ToString: string;
var
i: Integer;
begin
Result := '[ ';
for i := 0 to length(value) - 1 do
begin
if i > 0 then
Result := Result + ', ';
Result := Result + value[i].toString;
end;
Result := Result + ']';
end;

function Increment(aValue: TArray<Integer>): TmList;
var
i: integer;
begin
SetLength(Result.Value, length(aValue));
for i := 0 to High(aValue) do
Result.Value[i] := aValue[i] + 1;
end;

function Double(aValue: TArray<Integer>): TmList;
var
i: integer;
begin
SetLength(Result.Value, length(aValue));
for i := 0 to High(aValue) do
Result.Value[i] := aValue[i] * 2;
end;

var
ml1, ml2: TmList;

begin
ml1 := Create([3, 4, 5]);
ml2 := ml1.Bind(Increment).Bind(double);
Writeln(ml1.ToString, ' -> ', ml2.ToString);
readln;
end.

Output:
[ 3, 4, 5] -> [ 8, 10, 12]