General notions are generally wrong. -- Lady M. W. Montagu

interests / rec.food.cooking / Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

SubjectAuthor
* Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)Mike Duffy
+- Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)Hank Rogers
`* Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)Graham
 +* Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)Graham
 |`- Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)Mike Duffy
 `* Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)Dave Smith
  `* Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)Ed Pawlowski
   `* Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)Dave Smith
    `- Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)Michael Trew

1
Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

<JwdiL.16164$x2a9.7570@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236742&group=rec.food.cooking#236742

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Subject: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 02:36:25 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 02:36 UTC

Meyers were at Costco, so I bought a bag.

I used the same basic recipe as the one I used
with Minneolas a few weeks ago, except I wanted
something a bit more solid, so I bumped the Certo
by ~20% and upped the terminal temperature by 1C.

350 ml juice, 600 g sugar, 18g Certo, 226C.

Despite that, I ended up with an excellent syrupy
Meyer lemon sauce, but nothing approaching a gel.

Before boiling it down a bit more, I would like
to consult the aggregate of this group's wisdom.

I specifically ask Graham & Dave because they
have admitted to making marmalade recently.
(This despite their bitter sentiments on such.)

I have thought about it a bit, and arived at
three possibilities. Please prioritize or assess
probabilities or add to the list:

- Higher acid levels (citric / ascorbic / tartaric )
of the Meyers compared to the Mineolas interfere
with the action of pectin.

- In an anticipatorial frenzy, I kept moving the
jars as they cooled to see if they had set yet.
This is fine for completely thermal sets, but
not a good idea for a polymerization reaction.

- My kitchen scales are not accurate enough for the
small amount of Certo. Sometimes, I need to bang
on the kitchen counter, but I'm starting to think my
wife does not appreciate that.

Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

<cPdiL.16165$x2a9.991@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236745&group=rec.food.cooking#236745

Subject: Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 20:56:01 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 02:56 UTC

Mike Duffy wrote:
> Meyers were at Costco, so I bought a bag.
>
> I used the same basic recipe as the one I used
> with Minneolas a few weeks ago, except I wanted
> something a bit more solid, so I bumped the Certo
> by ~20% and upped the terminal temperature by 1C.
>
> 350 ml juice, 600 g sugar, 18g Certo, 226C.
>
> Despite that, I ended up with an excellent syrupy
> Meyer lemon sauce, but nothing approaching a gel.
>
> Before boiling it down a bit more, I would like
> to consult the aggregate of this group's wisdom.
>
> I specifically ask Graham & Dave because they
> have admitted to making marmalade recently.
> (This despite their bitter sentiments on such.)
>
> I have thought about it a bit, and arived at
> three possibilities. Please prioritize or assess
> probabilities or add to the list:
>
> - Higher acid levels (citric / ascorbic / tartaric )
> of the Meyers compared to the Mineolas interfere
> with the action of pectin.
>
> - In an anticipatorial frenzy, I kept moving the
> jars as they cooled to see if they had set yet.
> This is fine for completely thermal sets, but
> not a good idea for a polymerization reaction.
>
> - My kitchen scales are not accurate enough for the
> small amount of Certo. Sometimes, I need to bang
> on the kitchen counter, but I'm starting to think my
> wife does not appreciate that.

Years ago I made lots of jellies and jams every year. occasionally
things didn't work right. Unless you are working under laboratory
conditions, with meticulous documentation, you may never know what
went wrong.

Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

<VppiL.21883$MGw.16095@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236801&group=rec.food.cooking#236801

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 09:08:20 -0700
 by: Graham - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:08 UTC

On 2022-12-01 7:36 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
> Meyers were at Costco, so I bought a bag.
>
> I used the same basic recipe as the one I used
> with Minneolas a few weeks ago, except I wanted
> something a bit more solid, so I bumped the Certo
> by ~20% and upped the terminal temperature by 1C.
>
> 350 ml juice, 600 g sugar, 18g Certo, 226C.
>
> Despite that, I ended up with an excellent syrupy
> Meyer lemon sauce, but nothing approaching a gel.
>
> Before boiling it down a bit more, I would like
> to consult the aggregate of this group's wisdom.
>
> I specifically ask Graham & Dave because they
> have admitted to making marmalade recently.
> (This despite their bitter sentiments on such.)
>
> I have thought about it a bit, and arived at
> three possibilities. Please prioritize or assess
> probabilities or add to the list:
>
> - Higher acid levels (citric / ascorbic / tartaric )
> of the Meyers compared to the Mineolas interfere
> with the action of pectin.
>
> - In an anticipatorial frenzy, I kept moving the
> jars as they cooled to see if they had set yet.
> This is fine for completely thermal sets, but
> not a good idea for a polymerization reaction.
>
> - My kitchen scales are not accurate enough for the
> small amount of Certo. Sometimes, I need to bang
> on the kitchen counter, but I'm starting to think my
> wife does not appreciate that.

I replied to this last night but for some reason, it's not showing.
Anyway, You probably didn't use enough pectin as all the recipes I have
seen include the skin, pith and seeds. One recipe I have for lemon jelly
chops the fruit and cooks it with some water after which the entire
"stew" is filtered through a jelly bag and then the sugar is added to
the filtrate and boiled to set.
Here's a googled recipe that pretty well follows what I did except that
I simmered the fruit for 2 hours to tenderise it.
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/meyer_lemon_marmalade/

Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

<vrpiL.21884$MGw.376@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236802&group=rec.food.cooking#236802

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 09:10:02 -0700
 by: Graham - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:10 UTC

On 2022-12-02 9:08 a.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2022-12-01 7:36 p.m., Mike Duffy wrote:
>> Meyers were at Costco, so I bought a bag.
>>
>> I used the same basic recipe as the one I used
>> with Minneolas a few weeks ago, except I wanted
>> something a bit more solid, so I bumped the Certo
>> by ~20% and upped the terminal temperature by 1C.
>>
>> 350 ml juice, 600 g sugar, 18g Certo, 226C.
>>
>> Despite that, I ended up with an excellent syrupy
>> Meyer lemon sauce, but nothing approaching a gel.
>>
>> Before boiling it down a bit more, I would like
>> to consult the aggregate of this group's wisdom.
>>
>> I specifically ask Graham & Dave because they
>> have admitted to making marmalade recently.
>> (This despite their bitter sentiments on such.)
>>
>> I have thought about it a bit, and arived at
>> three possibilities. Please prioritize or assess
>> probabilities or add to the list:
>>
>> - Higher acid levels (citric / ascorbic / tartaric )
>> of the Meyers compared to the Mineolas interfere
>> with the action of pectin.
>>
>> - In an anticipatorial frenzy, I kept moving the
>> jars as they cooled to see if they had set yet.
>> This is fine for completely thermal sets, but
>> not a good idea for a polymerization reaction.
>>
>> - My kitchen scales are not accurate enough for the
>> small amount of Certo. Sometimes, I need to bang
>> on the kitchen counter, but I'm starting to think my
>> wife does not appreciate that.
>>
> I replied to this last night but for some reason, it's not showing.
> Anyway, You probably didn't use enough pectin as all the recipes I have
> seen include the skin, pith and seeds. One recipe I have for lemon jelly
> chops the fruit and cooks it with some water after which the entire
> "stew" is filtered through a jelly bag and then the sugar is added to
> the filtrate and boiled to set.
> Here's a googled recipe that pretty well follows what I did except that
> I simmered the fruit for 2 hours to tenderise it.
> https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/meyer_lemon_marmalade/

Here's what I wrote last night:
Didn't you use the peel or the pits? Did you follow a published recipe
or wing it?
And I think you meant 220F. At your altitude, 105C is the setting temp.
I'll have to check but I think adding normal lemon is necessary.
I'm not familiar with Meyer lemons. I returned a book to the library
this week that had a recipe using them. Give me a couple of days and
I'll go and get it (-24C and -30 windchill as I type this).

Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

<CnqiL.42961$i761.7094@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236820&group=rec.food.cooking#236820

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 12:14:10 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 17:14 UTC

On 2022-12-02 11:08 a.m., Graham wrote:

> I replied to this last night but for some reason, it's not showing.

That has been happening a lot to me lately.

> Anyway, You probably didn't use enough pectin as all the recipes I have
> seen include the skin, pith and seeds. One recipe I have for lemon jelly
> chops the fruit and cooks it with some water after which the entire
> "stew" is filtered through a jelly bag and then the sugar is added to
> the filtrate and boiled to set.
> Here's a googled recipe that pretty well follows what I did except that
> I simmered the fruit for 2 hours to tenderise it.
> https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/meyer_lemon_marmalade/

Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

<DvqiL.5741$Yw65.1328@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236822&group=rec.food.cooking#236822

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: mxdu...@bell.net (Mike Duffy)
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 17:22:43 GMT
 by: Mike Duffy - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 17:22 UTC

On 2022-12-02, Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Didn't you use the peel or the pits?
> Did you follow a published recipe

Technically yes. I followed the recipe
I posted a few weeks ago which worked ok.
(Just changed Minneola juice to Meyer juice,)

> or wing it?

I did add a bit more Cero, and terminated
at one degree (F) higher.

> And I think you meant 220F.

I'm pretty sure it was 226F. (225F the first
time with the Minneolas, but wanted a slightly
firmer gel.)

> I'm not familiar with Meyer lemons
> [...] Give me a couple of days

Never mind, I think I'll use the whole
batch as lemon sauce for chicken & fish &c.

I might boil some of it again just to see if
another degree or two F makes any difference.

Also, next time, I'll refrain from checking it
for setting until it had colled completely.
For some reason I feel it is like Jello,
and must NOT be disturbed while setting.

I'm using Certo vs. the cheesecloth pips &
full rind method usually called for in most
recipes because I use just the zest (without
any pith) because I want to avoid bitterness.

I am aware that you & most other people prefer
the slightly bitter taste added bythe pity & pits.
This is why my recipe is a bit of 'winging it'.

Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

<O_qiL.35983$Use.5688@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236830&group=rec.food.cooking#236830

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 12:55:58 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 17:55 UTC

On 12/2/2022 12:14 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-12-02 11:08 a.m., Graham wrote:
>
>> I replied to this last night but for some reason, it's not showing.
>

> That has been happening a lot to me lately.

Same here. Not sure if it is Thunderbird or Blocknews. If you see it
is missing, go to Sent items, highlight and hit Ctrl+E and resend.

Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

<r4riL.42964$i761.15024@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236831&group=rec.food.cooking#236831

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 13:01:59 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 18:01 UTC

On 2022-12-02 12:55 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/2/2022 12:14 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2022-12-02 11:08 a.m., Graham wrote:
>>
>>> I replied to this last night but for some reason, it's not showing.
>>

>> That has been happening a lot to me lately.
>>

> Same here.   Not sure if it is Thunderbird or Blocknews.  If you see it
> is missing, go to Sent items, highlight and hit Ctrl+E and resend.

I am suspecting it is Thunderbird. I have a desktop, a laptop and a
tablet. I have Windows Mail and Thunderbird on the laptop and the
desktop. Lately I have been noticing on that I get emails coming on on
Windows Mail that don't show up in Thunderbird on one computer or the
other.

Re: Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)

<CpziL.7174$X5e9.165@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236907&group=rec.food.cooking#236907

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 22:30:48 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 03:30 UTC

On 12/2/2022 13:01, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-12-02 12:55 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> That has been happening a lot to me lately.
>>
>> Same here. Not sure if it is Thunderbird or Blocknews. If you see
>> it is missing, go to Sent items, highlight and hit Ctrl+E and resend.
>
> I am suspecting it is Thunderbird. I have a desktop, a laptop and a
> tablet. I have Windows Mail and Thunderbird on the laptop and the
> desktop.

It must be an issue with a newer version of Thunderbird. I've not ever
noticed this issue with my posts. I haven't upgraded for 10 years or so.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Setting Meyer Marmelade (Ping Graham & Dave S & ??)