Life is too short to stuff a mushroom. -- Storm Jameson

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

SubjectAuthor
* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?micky
+* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Frank
|`* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?trader_4
| +- Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Frank
| +* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?micky
| |`- Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Ed Pawlowski
| `- Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Rod Speed
+* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Karen
|+* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?TimR
||+* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Frank
|||`- Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Rod Speed
||`* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?micky
|| `* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Frank
||  `* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?micky
||   `* Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?TimR
||    `- Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?micky
|`- Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Jock
`- Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?Rod Speed

1
Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<2oss5hh7pif4q7n01risfgrthsdsrva1ga@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23525&group=alt.home.repair#23525

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:43:51 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:43 UTC

Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

I'm staying with two guys, both of whom are away. I want to cook
something and their oven doesn't work, only the microwave.

They had a package of disposable plastic plates marked Safe for
Microwave, and I used two of them to make fried eggs and scrambled eggs.

But it was hard to stir the eggs with the low rim of a plate, so I
bought disposable plastic bowls. I forgot to look for the word
microwave, and these were the only bowls the store had. The word is not
there.

A different brand but the plastic seems of the same nature in every way.

So I heated some water in one. The bottom of the bowl that was next to
the hot water is wrinkled now a little bit, just like the plates were
after I used them. The rest of the bowl above the water line is in
pristine condition. Doesn't that mean the bowl is microwave safe, that
it didn't melt or catch fire. Or are there poisons in some plastic
that heating releases?

--
I googled are there poisons in some plastic that heating releases?
These articles make me think that "microwave safe" is not related to

A single-use bottle on a hot summer day
A study conducted by scientists at Arizona State University in 2008
looked at how heat sped up the release of antimony in PET bottles.
Antimony is used to manufacture the plastic and can be toxic in high
doses, the NIH reports.Jul 19, 2019

The kind of plastic is not embossed in the bowl or written on the
package, but PET isn't used for plates or bowls, is it?
--

Does Heating Plastic Release Toxins - SeniorCare2Share
https://www.seniorcare2share.com › QA

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<t3m64s$ed4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23526&group=alt.home.repair#23526

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:24:10 -0400
 by: Frank - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:24 UTC

On 4/19/2022 4:43 AM, micky wrote:
> Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?
>
> I'm staying with two guys, both of whom are away. I want to cook
> something and their oven doesn't work, only the microwave.
>
> They had a package of disposable plastic plates marked Safe for
> Microwave, and I used two of them to make fried eggs and scrambled eggs.
>
> But it was hard to stir the eggs with the low rim of a plate, so I
> bought disposable plastic bowls. I forgot to look for the word
> microwave, and these were the only bowls the store had. The word is not
> there.
>
> A different brand but the plastic seems of the same nature in every way.
>
> So I heated some water in one. The bottom of the bowl that was next to
> the hot water is wrinkled now a little bit, just like the plates were
> after I used them. The rest of the bowl above the water line is in
> pristine condition. Doesn't that mean the bowl is microwave safe, that
> it didn't melt or catch fire. Or are there poisons in some plastic
> that heating releases?
>
> --
> I googled are there poisons in some plastic that heating releases?
> These articles make me think that "microwave safe" is not related to
> toxins as much as whether the bowl will melt or not. OTOH, why would
> they not label it microwave safe if it was the same material as the
> other brand?
>
> A single-use bottle on a hot summer day
> A study conducted by scientists at Arizona State University in 2008
> looked at how heat sped up the release of antimony in PET bottles.
> Antimony is used to manufacture the plastic and can be toxic in high
> doses, the NIH reports.Jul 19, 2019
>
> The kind of plastic is not embossed in the bowl or written on the
> package, but PET isn't used for plates or bowls, is it?
> --
>
> Does Heating Plastic Release Toxins - SeniorCare2Share
> https://www.seniorcare2share.com › QA
> Research suggests that all plastics may leach chemicals if they're
> scratched or heated. Its estrogen-like activity makes it a
> --
> Fact check: Plastic water bottles leach chemicals, but not dioxins
> Claim: Heat reacts with the chemicals in plastic water bottles and
> releases harmful dioxin
> Claimed by: Social media users
> Fact check by USA Today: Partly False
> --
> Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals - NCBI
> by CZ Yang · 2011 · Cited by 394 — For any plastic container having
> contents, we thoroughly washed out the container with

IMHO any plastic approved for food contact and that survives boiling
water is safe to use.

In the case of PET it depends on crystallinity as uncrystallized will
soften and deform. Don't worry about the antimony as it is only used at
the ppm level and locked into the polymer.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<773ec266-bb4e-4b17-af1d-867cdd075328n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23528&group=alt.home.repair#23528

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 05:19:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:19 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 7:24:18 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
> On 4/19/2022 4:43 AM, micky wrote:
> > Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?
> >
> > I'm staying with two guys, both of whom are away. I want to cook
> > something and their oven doesn't work, only the microwave.
> >
> > They had a package of disposable plastic plates marked Safe for
> > Microwave, and I used two of them to make fried eggs and scrambled eggs..
> >
> > But it was hard to stir the eggs with the low rim of a plate, so I
> > bought disposable plastic bowls. I forgot to look for the word
> > microwave, and these were the only bowls the store had. The word is not
> > there.
> >
> > A different brand but the plastic seems of the same nature in every way..
> >
> > So I heated some water in one. The bottom of the bowl that was next to
> > the hot water is wrinkled now a little bit, just like the plates were
> > after I used them. The rest of the bowl above the water line is in
> > pristine condition. Doesn't that mean the bowl is microwave safe, that
> > it didn't melt or catch fire. Or are there poisons in some plastic
> > that heating releases?
> >
> > --
> > I googled are there poisons in some plastic that heating releases?
> > These articles make me think that "microwave safe" is not related to
> > toxins as much as whether the bowl will melt or not. OTOH, why would
> > they not label it microwave safe if it was the same material as the
> > other brand?
> >
> > A single-use bottle on a hot summer day
> > A study conducted by scientists at Arizona State University in 2008
> > looked at how heat sped up the release of antimony in PET bottles.
> > Antimony is used to manufacture the plastic and can be toxic in high
> > doses, the NIH reports.Jul 19, 2019
> >
> > The kind of plastic is not embossed in the bowl or written on the
> > package, but PET isn't used for plates or bowls, is it?
> > --
> >
> > Does Heating Plastic Release Toxins - SeniorCare2Share
> > https://www.seniorcare2share.com › QA
> > Research suggests that all plastics may leach chemicals if they're
> > scratched or heated. Its estrogen-like activity makes it a
> > --
> > Fact check: Plastic water bottles leach chemicals, but not dioxins
> > Claim: Heat reacts with the chemicals in plastic water bottles and
> > releases harmful dioxin
> > Claimed by: Social media users
> > Fact check by USA Today: Partly False
> > --
> > Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals - NCBI
> > by CZ Yang · 2011 · Cited by 394 — For any plastic container having
> > contents, we thoroughly washed out the container with
> IMHO any plastic approved for food contact and that survives boiling
> water is safe to use.
>
> In the case of PET it depends on crystallinity as uncrystallized will
> soften and deform. Don't worry about the antimony as it is only used at
> the ppm level and locked into the polymer.

I guess one place to start is what does microwave safe actually mean?
Is there some govt standard? An industry standard? Micky said that the
plates that were marked with that actually deformed when used. So
does it mean that it's safe to use to moderately reheat food or does
it mean it's safe and OK to use to cook food? From what I've seen and
do, any of the clear plastic food containers are OK to use for moderate
reheating, anything more than that they deform. The black containers
that frozen food comes in are OK to higher temperatures and will not
deform, they typically can go in a regular oven too. So to me the essential
difference is whether you're cooking or just warming it up, which I do at
half power to make it less likely that the typical plastic container will deform.
If I want to cook something in the microwave, like carrots, I use a ceramic
or glass kitchen bowl.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<t3mb6a$jed$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23531&group=alt.home.repair#23531

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:50:16 -0400
 by: Frank - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:50 UTC

On 4/19/2022 8:19 AM, trader_4 wrote:
> [...]
>
> I guess one place to start is what does microwave safe actually mean?
> Is there some govt standard? An industry standard? Micky said that the
> plates that were marked with that actually deformed when used. So
> does it mean that it's safe to use to moderately reheat food or does
> it mean it's safe and OK to use to cook food? From what I've seen and
> do, any of the clear plastic food containers are OK to use for moderate
> reheating, anything more than that they deform. The black containers
> that frozen food comes in are OK to higher temperatures and will not
> deform, they typically can go in a regular oven too. So to me the essential
> difference is whether you're cooking or just warming it up, which I do at
> half power to make it less likely that the typical plastic container will deform.
> If I want to cook something in the microwave, like carrots, I use a ceramic

I use ceramic or glass myself too. Maybe even a paper plate if
reheating pizza. Deformed plastic would be OK but who wants to deal
with that?

I also recall Campbell selling dual oven-able TV dinners in PET trays.
They could be heated in microwave as well as regular oven.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<pyA7K.240748$Xa1.197677@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23537&group=alt.home.repair#23537

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: kar...@C0MCAST.NET (Karen)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 11:27:01 -0400
 by: Karen - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:27 UTC

On 4/19/2022 4:43:51 AM, micky wrote:
> Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

There are likely more harmful chemicals in the factory farm food you're heating than the plastic plate.

Ever wonder why we have an epidemic of young people who are so confused about which sex they are?

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<921ab6a6-c78f-4da1-9822-5541d0031446n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23540&group=alt.home.repair#23540

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:14:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (TimR)
 by: TimR - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:14 UTC

When plastic shapes are formed, especially by injection molding, they have residual stresses locked in by the way they flow and cool.

When you heat them up, the material is no longer strong enough to maintain the stress, so the material reshapes to relieve itself.

I don't see any reason that would affect the food.

Mickey, fix the oven. I can't believe you didn't start there.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<t3mq1q$bq9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23542&group=alt.home.repair#23542

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:03:52 -0400
 by: Frank - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:03 UTC

On 4/19/2022 12:14 PM, TimR wrote:
> When plastic shapes are formed, especially by injection molding, they have residual stresses locked in by the way they flow and cool.
>
> When you heat them up, the material is no longer strong enough to maintain the stress, so the material reshapes to relieve itself.
>
> I don't see any reason that would affect the food.
>
> Mickey, fix the oven. I can't believe you didn't start there.

Depends on the plastic, forming method and crystalline or amorphous.

He should fix the oven. You don't fry eggs in a microwave.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<t4tt5h1c6pscuvkldco869dq4i793hm62l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23545&group=alt.home.repair#23545

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:43:29 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:43 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:14:20 -0700 (PDT), TimR
<timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:

>When plastic shapes are formed, especially by injection molding, they have residual stresses locked in by the way they flow and cool.
>
>When you heat them up, the material is no longer strong enough to maintain the stress, so the material reshapes to relieve itself.
>
>I don't see any reason that would affect the food.
>
>Mickey, fix the oven. I can't believe you didn't start there.

It's not my oven. They don't want me to touch it. And they're not here
to modify what they said.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<t3msrh$13t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23547&group=alt.home.repair#23547

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:51:44 -0400
 by: Frank - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:51 UTC

On 4/19/2022 1:43 PM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:14:20 -0700 (PDT), TimR
> <timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When plastic shapes are formed, especially by injection molding, they have residual stresses locked in by the way they flow and cool.
>>
>> When you heat them up, the material is no longer strong enough to maintain the stress, so the material reshapes to relieve itself.
>>
>> I don't see any reason that would affect the food.
>>
>> Mickey, fix the oven. I can't believe you didn't start there.
>
> It's not my oven. They don't want me to touch it. And they're not here
> to modify what they said.

We did not know that you were homeless.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<u6tt5hdarb7dhtm30oaie9lmt44irn148h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23548&group=alt.home.repair#23548

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:56:13 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:56 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 05:19:23 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
<trader4@optonline.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 7:24:18 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
>> On 4/19/2022 4:43 AM, micky wrote:
>> > Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?
>> >
>> > I'm staying with two guys, both of whom are away. I want to cook
>> > something and their oven doesn't work, only the microwave.
>> >
>> > They had a package of disposable plastic plates marked Safe for
>> > Microwave, and I used two of them to make fried eggs and scrambled eggs.
>> >
>> > But it was hard to stir the eggs with the low rim of a plate, so I
>> > bought disposable plastic bowls. I forgot to look for the word
>> > microwave, and these were the only bowls the store had. The word is not
>> > there.
>> >
>> > A different brand but the plastic seems of the same nature in every way.
>> >
>> > So I heated some water in one. The bottom of the bowl that was next to
>> > the hot water is wrinkled now a little bit, just like the plates were
>> > after I used them. The rest of the bowl above the water line is in
>> > pristine condition. Doesn't that mean the bowl is microwave safe, that
>> > it didn't melt or catch fire. Or are there poisons in some plastic
>> > that heating releases?
>> >
>> > --
>> > I googled are there poisons in some plastic that heating releases?
>> > These articles make me think that "microwave safe" is not related to
>> > toxins as much as whether the bowl will melt or not. OTOH, why would
>> > they not label it microwave safe if it was the same material as the
>> > other brand?
>> >
>> > A single-use bottle on a hot summer day
>> > A study conducted by scientists at Arizona State University in 2008
>> > looked at how heat sped up the release of antimony in PET bottles.
>> > Antimony is used to manufacture the plastic and can be toxic in high
>> > doses, the NIH reports.Jul 19, 2019
>> >
>> > The kind of plastic is not embossed in the bowl or written on the
>> > package, but PET isn't used for plates or bowls, is it?
>> > --
>> >
>> > Does Heating Plastic Release Toxins - SeniorCare2Share
>> > https://www.seniorcare2share.com › QA
>> > Research suggests that all plastics may leach chemicals if they're
>> > scratched or heated. Its estrogen-like activity makes it a
>> > --
>> > Fact check: Plastic water bottles leach chemicals, but not dioxins
>> > Claim: Heat reacts with the chemicals in plastic water bottles and
>> > releases harmful dioxin
>> > Claimed by: Social media users
>> > Fact check by USA Today: Partly False
>> > --
>> > Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals - NCBI
>> > by CZ Yang · 2011 · Cited by 394 — For any plastic container having
>> > contents, we thoroughly washed out the container with
>> IMHO any plastic approved for food contact and that survives boiling
>> water is safe to use.
>>
>> In the case of PET it depends on crystallinity as uncrystallized will
>> soften and deform. Don't worry about the antimony as it is only used at
>> the ppm level and locked into the polymer.

I'm struggling to get off the floor into the chair, having gotten an
almost lethal dose of antimony and who knows what else. But as I wait
for the ambulance, I have time to reply.

>I guess one place to start is what does microwave safe actually mean?
>Is there some govt standard? An industry standard? Micky said that the
>plates that were marked with that actually deformed when used. So

Only the bottom, not the rim, and not too much. I think it was just the
heat of the eggs that did it.

The fried eggs on the microwave pltes had come out well, but the
scrambled eggs** were strange in that they cooked around the
circumference, an inch to an inch and a half in and left the middle
liquid. So I ate the cooked part, and put it back in. Same thing
happened although this time the center was smaller. I put it in a third
time to cook that.

OTOH, when I did scrambled eggs, mushroom stems and pieces, and hot dog
pieces in the bowl, it cooked on TOP and the bottom remained liquid. I
ate the top and I think I only had to put it in one more time.

The bottom of the bowl deformed too, but nothing else. I think it
swelled and is a bit too big for the circumference.

Really, both the plate and the bowl acted exactly alike, though one was
marked for the microwave and the other wasn't.

**The plate got soft and I used a china plate to hold the plastic plate
flat when carrying 2 beaten eggs and some mushroom pieces. The first
time I came close to spilling some of it. I wasn't allowed to actually
cook off the china plate. Their rules. I don't question them. I'm lucky
to have this place. (Good location, cheap, off-street parking, and
until they both went away, good roommates, but one will be back in two
weeks.)

>does it mean that it's safe to use to moderately reheat food or does
>it mean it's safe and OK to use to cook food? From what I've seen and
>do, any of the clear plastic food containers are OK to use for moderate
>reheating, anything more than that they deform. The black containers
>that frozen food comes in are OK to higher temperatures and will not
>deform, they typically can go in a regular oven too. So to me the essential
>difference is whether you're cooking or just warming it up, which I do at
>half power to make it less likely that the typical plastic container will deform.
>If I want to cook something in the microwave, like carrots, I use a ceramic
>or glass kitchen bowl.

I heard the siren and the ambulance people are stomping up the stairs.
Now they're knocking. I have to go now. I hope they don't pump my
stomach.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<op.1kvwu7ubbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23550&group=alt.home.repair#23550

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:12:33 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:12 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote

> Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?
>
> I'm staying with two guys, both of whom are away. I want to cook
> something and their oven doesn't work, only the microwave.
>
> They had a package of disposable plastic plates marked Safe for
> Microwave, and I used two of them to make fried eggs and scrambled eggs.
>
> But it was hard to stir the eggs with the low rim of a plate, so I
> bought disposable plastic bowls. I forgot to look for the word
> microwave, and these were the only bowls the store had. The word is not
> there.
>
> A different brand but the plastic seems of the same nature in every way.
>
> So I heated some water in one. The bottom of the bowl that was next to
> the hot water is wrinkled now a little bit, just like the plates were
> after I used them. The rest of the bowl above the water line is in
> pristine condition. Doesn't that mean the bowl is microwave safe, that
> it didn't melt or catch fire. Or are there poisons in some plastic
> that heating releases?
>
> --
> I googled are there poisons in some plastic that heating releases?
> These articles make me think that "microwave safe" is not related to
> toxins as much as whether the bowl will melt or not. OTOH, why would
> they not label it microwave safe if it was the same material as the
> other brand?

Some chinese manufacturers do a better job than others
and almost all that stuff is made in china now.

> A single-use bottle on a hot summer day
> A study conducted by scientists at Arizona State University in 2008
> looked at how heat sped up the release of antimony in PET bottles.
> Antimony is used to manufacture the plastic and can be toxic in high
> doses, the NIH reports.Jul 19, 2019
>
> The kind of plastic is not embossed in the bowl or written on the
> package, but PET isn't used for plates or bowls, is it?

Nope, not usually.

> Does Heating Plastic Release Toxins - SeniorCare2Share
> https://www.seniorcare2share.com › QA
> Research suggests that all plastics may leach chemicals if they're
> scratched or heated. Its estrogen-like activity makes it a
> --
> Fact check: Plastic water bottles leach chemicals, but not dioxins
> Claim: Heat reacts with the chemicals in plastic water bottles and
> releases harmful dioxin
> Claimed by: Social media users
> Fact check by USA Today: Partly False
> --
> Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals - NCBI
> by CZ Yang · 2011 · Cited by 394 — For any plastic container having
> contents, we thoroughly washed out the container with

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<op.1kvw1dlpbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23551&group=alt.home.repair#23551

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:16:15 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:16 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 22:19:23 +1000, trader_4 <trader4@optonline.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> > Fact check: Plastic water bottles leach chemicals, but not dioxins
>> > Claim: Heat reacts with the chemicals in plastic water bottles and
>> > releases harmful dioxin
>> > Claimed by: Social media users
>> > Fact check by USA Today: Partly False
>> > --
>> > Most Plastic Products Release Estrogenic Chemicals - NCBI
>> > by CZ Yang · 2011 · Cited by 394 — For any plastic container having
>> > contents, we thoroughly washed out the container with
>> IMHO any plastic approved for food contact and that survives boiling
>> water is safe to use.
>>
>> In the case of PET it depends on crystallinity as uncrystallized will
>> soften and deform. Don't worry about the antimony as it is only used at
>> the ppm level and locked into the polymer.

> I guess one place to start is what does microwave safe actually mean?
> Is there some govt standard? An industry standard?

Nope to both.

> Micky said that the
> plates that were marked with that actually deformed when used.

No, it was the unmarked ones that did that.

> So
> does it mean that it's safe to use to moderately reheat food or does
> it mean it's safe and OK to use to cook food? From what I've seen and
> do, any of the clear plastic food containers are OK to use for moderate
> reheating, anything more than that they deform. The black containers
> that frozen food comes in are OK to higher temperatures and will not
> deform, they typically can go in a regular oven too. So to me the
> essential
> difference is whether you're cooking or just warming it up, which I do at
> half power to make it less likely that the typical plastic container
> will deform.
> If I want to cook something in the microwave, like carrots, I use a
> ceramic
> or glass kitchen bowl.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<hsvt5htnof76sckru4rafie0tqdhhdafp8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23554&group=alt.home.repair#23554

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:30:02 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:30 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:51:44 -0400, Frank <"frank
"@frank.net> wrote:

>On 4/19/2022 1:43 PM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:14:20 -0700 (PDT), TimR
>> <timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When plastic shapes are formed, especially by injection molding, they have residual stresses locked in by the way they flow and cool.
>>>
>>> When you heat them up, the material is no longer strong enough to maintain the stress, so the material reshapes to relieve itself.
>>>
>>> I don't see any reason that would affect the food.
>>>
>>> Mickey, fix the oven. I can't believe you didn't start there.
>>
>> It's not my oven. They don't want me to touch it. And they're not here
>> to modify what they said.
>
>We did not know that you were homeless.

Yes, it's sad, and I try not to talk about it.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<op.1kvx4pnyc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23555&group=alt.home.repair#23555

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:39:51 +1000
 by: Jock - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:39 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 01:27:01 +1000, Karen <karen@c0mcast.net> wrote:

> On 4/19/2022 4:43:51 AM, micky wrote:
>> Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?
>

> There are likely more harmful chemicals in the factory farm food you're
> heating than the plastic plate.
>
> Ever wonder why we have an epidemic of young people who are so confused
> about which sex they are?

There is no such epidemic and it isnt due to chemicals in food either.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<op.1kvycdxkbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23556&group=alt.home.repair#23556

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 04:44:27 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 18:44 UTC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 03:03:52 +1000, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote:

> On 4/19/2022 12:14 PM, TimR wrote:
>> When plastic shapes are formed, especially by injection molding, they
>> have residual stresses locked in by the way they flow and cool.
>> When you heat them up, the material is no longer strong enough to
>> maintain the stress, so the material reshapes to relieve itself.
>> I don't see any reason that would affect the food.
>> Mickey, fix the oven. I can't believe you didn't start there.

> Depends on the plastic, forming method and crystalline or amorphous.

> He should fix the oven.

It isn't his to fuck around with.

> You don't fry eggs in a microwave.

You don't fry eggs in an oven either.

And he isn't frying the eggs anyway.

3 stupiditys in a row, a record even for you.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<EJE7K.604446$7F2.324528@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23564&group=alt.home.repair#23564

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:13:24 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 20:13 UTC

On 4/19/2022 1:56 PM, micky wrote:

> [...]

If you are going to be there for a while, invest in this. Available on
eBay used and cheaper.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Favorites/Favorites/Ceramic+Egg+Cooker/1529

or a more sophisticated version.

https://tinyurl.com/yc2259jy

In the second one I crack and egg and scramble it. Add some cheese
chunks. In the top I put pre-cooked sausage patties from a previous
breakfast. Nuke for 75 seconds and breakfast is ready.
I toast and English muffin to make the sandwich.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<85606242-1440-44ae-a34f-135b4b537540n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23604&group=alt.home.repair#23604

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (TimR)
 by: TimR - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 17:09 UTC

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:30:10 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

> >We did not know that you were homeless.
> Yes, it's sad, and I try not to talk about it.

Considering the questions you ask here about DIY projects.............. and you seem to be on the fearless side.........

Did you burn your house down?

Don't fix the oven.

Re: Is this plastic disposable bowl safe to use in microwave?

<71q66hp39796irr0gj46ajqs5se2452adc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23686&group=alt.home.repair#23686

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!feeder.cambriumusenet.nl!feed.tweaknews.nl!posting.tweaknews.nl!fx14.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 05:48:35 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 02:48 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:09:53 -0700 (PDT), TimR
<timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 2:30:10 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
>
>> >We did not know that you were homeless.
>> Yes, it's sad, and I try not to talk about it.
>
>Considering the questions you ask here about DIY projects.............. and you seem to be on the fearless side.........

Do you mean stupid? Yeah, I have a lot of that. Some people think my
sleeping in the car is stupid. For 48 nights.

>Did you burn your house down?

Once I took a pan off the stove and put it on a hot pad (Is that the
word? Oven mitt without the mitt.)

Then I put the pan back on the burner and sat down. I was facing the
sliding glass door or I might not have seen the flames. It seems the
hot pad stuck to the pan when I put it back on the burner and it was
burning.

I took the pan off the electric burner and the pad fell in pieces on the
floor, and damaged the embossed vinyl floor a little bit.