Thufir's a Harkonnen now.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Food temperature and taste

SubjectAuthor
* Food temperature and tasteCindy Hamilton
+* Re: Food temperature and tasteEd Pawlowski
|`- Re: Food temperature and tasteCindy Hamilton
+* Re: Food temperature and tasteSqwertz
|+* Re: Food temperature and tasteBryan Simmons
||`- Re: Food temperature and tasteSqwertz
|+* Re: Food temperature and tasteCindy Hamilton
||+- Re: Food temperature and tasteBruce
||+* Re: Food temperature and tastejmcquown
|||+* Re: Food temperature and tasteEd Pawlowski
|||`- Re: Food temperature and tasteMichael Trew
||`- Re: Food temperature and tastesongbird
|`* Re: Food temperature and tasteDave Smith
| +- Re: Food temperature and tasteBruce
| +* Re: Food temperature and tasteMichael Mauldin
| |`- Re: Food temperature and tasteBruce
| +* Re: Food temperature and tastejmcquown
| |+- Re: Food temperature and tasteGary
| |`- Re: Food temperature and tasteBruce
| `- Re: Food temperature and tastesongbird
+* Re: Food temperature and tastedsi1
|`* Re: Food temperature and tasteCindy Hamilton
| +- Re: Food temperature and tasteBruce
| `* Re: Food temperature and tasteMichael Trew
|  `* Re: Food temperature and tasteCindy Hamilton
|   `- Re: Food temperature and tasteMichael Trew
`* Re: Food temperature and tasteMichael Trew
 `* Re: Food temperature and tasteEd Pawlowski
  `* Re: Food temperature and tasteCindy Hamilton
   +- Re: Food temperature and tasteBruce
   `* Re: Food temperature and tasteGary
    +- Re: Food temperature and tasteCindy Hamilton
    +* Re: Food temperature and tasteDave Smith
    |+* Re: Food temperature and tasteMichael Mauldin
    ||`- Re: Food temperature and tasteBruce
    |`- Re: Food temperature and tasteBruce
    +- Re: Food temperature and tasteBruce
    `- Re: Food temperature and tasteMichael Trew

Pages:12
Re: Food temperature and taste

<NeAiL.6816$ZRk4.3100@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236923&group=rec.food.cooking#236923

Subject: Re: Food temperature and taste
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 23:27:25 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 04:27 UTC

On 12/2/2022 10:39 PM, Michael Trew wrote:

> The article became a bit monotonous and lengthy, so at some point, I
> switched from reading to skimming.  Perhaps it's just preference, but I
> prefer most of my food to be more hot, regardless of taste differences.
>  For instance, I much prefer my soup to be piping hot; not luke-warm
> for a different (even if improved) flavor profile.

Sort of agree. I'm in between. I like 120 to 125

Definition of Lukewarm
Some references say it is between 100 and 110 F (36.5 to 40.5 C). But
others report lukewarm water falls between 98 and 105 F.

What is piping hot temperature?
Q. What is the correct temperature that food should be reheated to? Food
must only be reheated once following cooking or hot holding. The food
should be reheated to piping hot, greater than or equal to 70°C 150F at
the core of the food.

> LOL, I guess that I'm just un-American.  Minimal sweets, no ice-cold
> drinks (no sweet drinks), and no SUV's, please.  Tap-temperature water
> is fine with me.  I hardly bother to make ice, except maybe on hot
> summer days.

I have an insulated water bottle by me all day and I do put ice in it to
keep it cool, not ice cold.

Re: Food temperature and taste

<ZvFiL.11714$jHT4.2833@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236960&group=rec.food.cooking#236960

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 10:27:05 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:27 UTC

On 2022-12-03, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
> On 12/2/2022 10:39 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> The article became a bit monotonous and lengthy, so at some point, I
>> switched from reading to skimming.  Perhaps it's just preference, but I
>> prefer most of my food to be more hot, regardless of taste differences.
>>  For instance, I much prefer my soup to be piping hot; not luke-warm
>> for a different (even if improved) flavor profile.
>
> Sort of agree. I'm in between. I like 120 to 125
>
> Definition of Lukewarm
> Some references say it is between 100 and 110 F (36.5 to 40.5 C). But
> others report lukewarm water falls between 98 and 105 F.
>
> What is piping hot temperature?
> Q. What is the correct temperature that food should be reheated to? Food
> must only be reheated once following cooking or hot holding. The food
> should be reheated to piping hot, greater than or equal to 70°C 150F at
> the core of the food.

Soup might be close to 212 F, depending on how you heat it. That's way
too hot to put into my mouth. I don't like getting scalded by my lunch.

Next time I have soup (which might be for lunch today), I'll stick
the instant-read thermometer into it when it's at my preferred temp.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Food temperature and taste

<TzFiL.11715$jHT4.2710@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236961&group=rec.food.cooking#236961

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 10:31:15 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:31 UTC

On 2022-12-03, Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
> On 12/2/2022 16:18, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-12-02, dsi1<dsi123@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been eating cold somen noodles these days. It's my latest kick
>>> and super simple to make. You boil the noodles for a couple of
>>> minutes and then chill it with ice cubes. Some people will chill
>>> and serve cold somen in a flow of water from a cold mountain
>>> stream. All I have is ice cubes. Of course, I have to have mine
>>> with wasabi.
>>>
>>> https://www.thespruceeats.com/cold-somen-recipe-2031624
>>
>> I like cold soba, but it's not the weather for it right now.
>
> I could be mistaken, but I swear that you were the one who said that you
> won't let the weather dictate what you eat or drink (crank up the A/C in
> the summer!).

Generally, no. But soba is something I crave only when it's hot out,
regardless of the indoor temperature.

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

> If I want a pot of soup in the summer, I'll have my soup. Cooking on
> the stove doesn't make a huge difference in indoor temperature and
> humidity, with or without A/C.

Given the proximity of my thermostat to the kitchen, it makes a
difference in my house. I'll cook soup in the summer (which is
only about 40 minutes of sauteeing and simmering), but I won't run
the oven.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Food temperature and taste

<jv0nd1Fd52rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236962&group=rec.food.cooking#236962

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 21:40:29 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 10:40 UTC

On Sat, 03 Dec 2022 10:27:05 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2022-12-03, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>>
>> Sort of agree. I'm in between. I like 120 to 125
>>
>> Definition of Lukewarm
>> Some references say it is between 100 and 110 F (36.5 to 40.5 C). But
>> others report lukewarm water falls between 98 and 105 F.
>>
>> What is piping hot temperature?
>> Q. What is the correct temperature that food should be reheated to? Food
>> must only be reheated once following cooking or hot holding. The food
>> should be reheated to piping hot, greater than or equal to 70°C 150F at
>> the core of the food.
>
>Soup might be close to 212 F, depending on how you heat it. That's way
>too hot to put into my mouth. I don't like getting scalded by my lunch.
>
>Next time I have soup (which might be for lunch today), I'll stick
>the instant-read thermometer into it when it's at my preferred temp.

If you already know it's at your preferred temp, why would you put a
thermometer in?

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Food temperature and taste

<tmfja4$3bt2e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236976&group=rec.food.cooking#236976

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 08:35:00 -0500
 by: Gary - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 13:35 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Soup might be close to 212 F, depending on how you heat it. That's way
> too hot to put into my mouth. I don't like getting scalded by my lunch.
>
> Next time I have soup (which might be for lunch today), I'll stick
> the instant-read thermometer into it when it's at my preferred temp.

Thermometer for eating temp of soup is a bit funny.
I heat mine up HOT then plate (bowl) it. Within a few minutes, it's
cooled down and ready to eat.

Same with scalding hot coffee in the morning. Either leave room to cool
it down with milk or just wait a few minutes.

Re: Food temperature and taste

<um9q5j-mqe.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236978&group=rec.food.cooking#236978

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 17:10:06 -0500
 by: songbird - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 22:10 UTC

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> If you spend a meal drinking ice water, you're going to need a sweeter
> dessert to get the same sense of sweetness than if you'd spent the meal
> drinking room-temperature water.

i usually do not drink beverages with a meal.
a small snack i might wash down with some milk.

i rarely heat things to really hot and i often
don't even like ice-cream super cold. which is
funny though in that i do vastly prefer real ice-
cream over soft-serve and that tends to be harder
than soft-serve (and colder) - i just eat it very
slowly and melt every bit of it as i'm going
along.

songbird

Re: Food temperature and taste

<2q9q5j-mqe.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236979&group=rec.food.cooking#236979

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 17:11:46 -0500
 by: songbird - Fri, 2 Dec 2022 22:11 UTC

Dave Smith wrote:
> FWIW, I rarely drink sweet stuff and I like water without out. I find
> ice water unsatisfying. Maybe it's more a matter of a lot of Americans
> liking cold drinks and sweet drinks. They don't seem to appreciate some
> of the European beers that are served at room temperature because they
> have a flavour profile that works better at room temperature.

aye cap'n. give me a dark beer with some chew to it.
room temperature is just fine. compared to anything else
a full bodied beer is much more my preference - after all
it is very likely i won't drink more than one.

songbird

Re: Food temperature and taste

<qqIiL.7186$X5e9.3259@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236982&group=rec.food.cooking#236982

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 13:45:58 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 13:45 UTC

On 2022-12-03, Gary <g.majors@att.net> wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Soup might be close to 212 F, depending on how you heat it. That's way
>> too hot to put into my mouth. I don't like getting scalded by my lunch.
>>
>> Next time I have soup (which might be for lunch today), I'll stick
>> the instant-read thermometer into it when it's at my preferred temp.
>
> Thermometer for eating temp of soup is a bit funny.

Have you no sense of experimentation? No curiosity?

> I heat mine up HOT then plate (bowl) it. Within a few minutes, it's
> cooled down and ready to eat.

I nuke mine until hot in the bowl from which I'm going to eat it.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Food temperature and taste

<6SIiL.94031$Q0m1.74408@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236989&group=rec.food.cooking#236989

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 09:15:29 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 14:15 UTC

On 2022-12-03 8:35 a.m., Gary wrote:
>  Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Thermometer for eating temp of soup is a bit funny.
> I heat mine up HOT then plate (bowl) it. Within a few minutes, it's
> cooled down and ready to eat.
>
> Same with scalding hot coffee in the morning. Either leave room to cool
> it down with milk or just wait a few minutes.

When I go to the corner coffee shop the fresh made coffee is too hot to
drink right away. I work on my crossword. By the time I am half way
through I can start sipping it. By the time I have finished the
crossword it is drinkable.

Re: Food temperature and taste

<tmfm9u$3c621$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236991&group=rec.food.cooking#236991

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 09:26:05 -0500
 by: Gary - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 14:26 UTC

jmcquown wrote:> Guess I'm not a typical American.
WHEW! ;)

Re: Food temperature and taste

<tmfnev$3bh3t$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=236998&group=rec.food.cooking#236998

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 09:45:49 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 14:45 UTC

On 12/3/2022 9:26 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:> Guess I'm not a typical American.
> WHEW!  ;)

There you go with the excessive trimming again. I wrote:

"I vaguely remember there were some drink vending machines in the
hallways outside the cafeteria when I was in high school. I never
bought sodas/soft drinks from them. Guess I'm not a typical American."

IOW, I don't drink soda or sweet stuff. Are you chugging down a Coke
while you type this? Coffee with sugar?

Jill

Re: Food temperature and taste

<tmfs4o$bgr1$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237004&group=rec.food.cooking#237004

From: mau...@noneya.none (Michael Mauldin)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 11:05:44 -0500
 by: Michael Mauldin - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 16:05 UTC

Dave Smith wrote:
> When I go to the corner coffee shop the fresh made coffee is too hot to
> drink right away. I work on my crossword. By the time I am half way
> through I can start sipping it. By the time I have finished the
> crossword it is drinkable.

Fascinating, no really.

Re: Food temperature and taste

<tmfu8q$3cnkb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237008&group=rec.food.cooking#237008

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 11:42:02 -0500
 by: Gary - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 16:42 UTC

On 12/3/2022 9:45 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/3/2022 9:26 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:> Guess I'm not a typical American.
>> WHEW!  ;)
>>

> There you go with the excessive trimming again.  I wrote:
>
> "I vaguely remember there were some drink vending machines in the
> hallways outside the cafeteria when I was in high school.  I never
> bought sodas/soft drinks from them.  Guess I'm not a typical American."
>
> IOW, I don't drink soda or sweet stuff.  Are you chugging down a Coke
> while you type this?  Coffee with sugar?

Idiot, you trim posts all the time but cry when someone else trims your
posts. I responded to the relevant part of what you said. Boo Hoo.

You are NOT a typical American, thankfully.

Re: Food temperature and taste

<jv1f3hFgn0vU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237018&group=rec.food.cooking#237018

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 04:25:01 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 17:25 UTC

On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 08:35:00 -0500, Gary <g.majors@att.net> wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Soup might be close to 212 F, depending on how you heat it. That's way
>> too hot to put into my mouth. I don't like getting scalded by my lunch.
>>
>> Next time I have soup (which might be for lunch today), I'll stick
>> the instant-read thermometer into it when it's at my preferred temp.
>
>Thermometer for eating temp of soup is a bit funny.
>I heat mine up HOT then plate (bowl) it. Within a few minutes, it's
>cooled down and ready to eat.

That's not precise enough, Gary. Cindy would never take a risk like
that!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Food temperature and taste

<jv1f8rFgn0vU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237021&group=rec.food.cooking#237021

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 04:27:51 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 17:27 UTC

On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 09:15:29 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-12-03 8:35 a.m., Gary wrote:
>>  Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Thermometer for eating temp of soup is a bit funny.
>> I heat mine up HOT then plate (bowl) it. Within a few minutes, it's
>> cooled down and ready to eat.
>>
>> Same with scalding hot coffee in the morning. Either leave room to cool
>> it down with milk or just wait a few minutes.
>>

>When I go to the corner coffee shop the fresh made coffee is too hot to
>drink right away. I work on my crossword. By the time I am half way
>through I can start sipping it. By the time I have finished the
>crossword it is drinkable.

That's a wonderful system, Dave. Very well thought out!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Food temperature and taste

<jv1g03FgplfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237025&group=rec.food.cooking#237025

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 04:40:15 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 17:40 UTC

On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 09:45:49 -0500, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 12/3/2022 9:26 AM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:> Guess I'm not a typical American.
>> WHEW!  ;)
>>

>There you go with the excessive trimming again. I wrote:
>
>"I vaguely remember there were some drink vending machines in the
>hallways outside the cafeteria when I was in high school. I never
>bought sodas/soft drinks from them. Guess I'm not a typical American."
>
>IOW, I don't drink soda or sweet stuff. Are you chugging down a Coke
>while you type this? Coffee with sugar?

I'm having a coffee with sugar (and milk powder) as I type this. Does
that make me a typical American?

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Food temperature and taste

<jv1g35FgplfU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237028&group=rec.food.cooking#237028

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 04:41:53 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 17:41 UTC

On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 11:05:44 -0500, Michael Mauldin <maul@noneya.none>
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>> When I go to the corner coffee shop the fresh made coffee is too hot to
>> drink right away. I work on my crossword. By the time I am half way
>> through I can start sipping it. By the time I have finished the
>> crossword it is drinkable.
>>

>Fascinating, no really.

Ghe ghe.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Food temperature and taste

<sDOiL.2627$Md59.2529@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237074&group=rec.food.cooking#237074

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 15:49:29 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 20:49 UTC

On 12/3/2022 1:43 PM, GM wrote:

> Unfortunately, Jill *is* the template of modern typical white American womanhood:
>
> - stupid, meddling, and braying... natcherly a democrat...
>
> - also extremely "entitled"... and she pouts when she doesn't get her way...
>
> IOW a "Karen"...

So in your attempt to pick on Jill you insulted my wife, daughter,
sister, granddaughters and every other American woman.

What does it mean when a person is misogynist?
hatred of or prejudice against women
adjective. : feeling, showing, or characterized by hatred of or
prejudice against women : misogynistic. misogynist comments.

I know you are not stupid but you keep doing nasty stupid shit recently.
Your image is tainted.

Re: Food temperature and taste

<sJOiL.27465$KVI.20906@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237076&group=rec.food.cooking#237076

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 14:55:51 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 20:55 UTC

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/3/2022 1:43 PM, GM wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately, Jill *is* the template of modern typical white
>> American womanhood:
>>
>> - stupid, meddling, and braying...  natcherly a democrat...
>>
>> - also extremely "entitled"... and she pouts when she doesn't get
>> her way...
>>
>> IOW a "Karen"...
>>

> So in your attempt to pick on Jill you insulted my wife, daughter,
> sister, granddaughters and every other American woman.
>
> What does it mean when a person is misogynist?
> hatred of or prejudice against women
> adjective. : feeling, showing, or characterized by hatred of or
> prejudice against women : misogynistic. misogynist comments.
>
> I know you are not stupid but you keep doing nasty stupid shit
> recently.  Your image is tainted.

Yep. He could have simply called her a snotty bitch, and let it go
at that.

Re: Food temperature and taste

<5yPiL.7119$jXi9.2547@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237096&group=rec.food.cooking#237096

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 15:52:00 -0600
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 3 Dec 2022 21:52 UTC

GM wrote:
> Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> So in your attempt to pick on Jill you insulted my wife, daughter,
>>> sister, granddaughters and every other American woman.
>>>
>>> What does it mean when a person is misogynist?
>>> hatred of or prejudice against women
>>> adjective. : feeling, showing, or characterized by hatred of or
>>> prejudice against women : misogynistic. misogynist comments.
>>>
>>> I know you are not stupid but you keep doing nasty stupid shit
>>> recently. Your image is tainted.
>> Yep. He could have simply called her a snotty bitch, and let it go
>> at that.
>

> Never, that would be a gross insult to "snotty bitch(es)", Hank...

Sorry. Perhaps the correct adjective is smarmy, or snarky?

Re: Food temperature and taste

<hM-cneb9Nu2qmRH-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237156&group=rec.food.cooking#237156

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 02:21:43 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 02:21 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 09:45:49 -0500, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On 12/3/2022 9:26 AM, Gary wrote:
> >> jmcquown wrote:> Guess I'm not a typical American.
> >> WHEW!  ;)
> >>

> > There you go with the excessive trimming again. I wrote:
> >
> > "I vaguely remember there were some drink vending machines in the
> > hallways outside the cafeteria when I was in high school. I never
> > bought sodas/soft drinks from them. Guess I'm not a typical
> > American."
> >
> > IOW, I don't drink soda or sweet stuff. Are you chugging down a
> > Coke while you type this? Coffee with sugar?
>
> I'm having a coffee with sugar (and milk powder) as I type this. Does
> that make me a typical American?

I'm having a Thai coffee (instant). Has creamer and sugar. DeDe
brand. Unique tasting and I like it. They also do a tea version.
I'll have to Try that one day.

Re: Food temperature and taste

<1UUiL.27777$KVI.13170@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237178&group=rec.food.cooking#237178

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 22:56:53 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 03:56 UTC

On 12/3/2022 8:35, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Soup might be close to 212 F, depending on how you heat it. That's way
>> too hot to put into my mouth. I don't like getting scalded by my lunch.
>>
>> Next time I have soup (which might be for lunch today), I'll stick
>> the instant-read thermometer into it when it's at my preferred temp.
>
> Thermometer for eating temp of soup is a bit funny.
> I heat mine up HOT then plate (bowl) it. Within a few minutes, it's
> cooled down and ready to eat.

She wants to test what her preferred temperature is. Call it "science".

Part of the reason that I like hot food/soup is that it starts to cool
as I eat it. If I make it warm-hot-ish, it might be far too cool for
preference as I'm finishing it.

Re: Food temperature and taste

<JYUiL.27778$KVI.1087@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=237179&group=rec.food.cooking#237179

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 23:01:52 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 04:01 UTC

On 12/3/2022 5:31, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-03, Michael Trew<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
>
>> If I want a pot of soup in the summer, I'll have my soup. Cooking on
>> the stove doesn't make a huge difference in indoor temperature and
>> humidity, with or without A/C.
>
> Given the proximity of my thermostat to the kitchen, it makes a
> difference in my house. I'll cook soup in the summer (which is
> only about 40 minutes of sauteeing and simmering), but I won't run
> the oven.

Of course, in my house, the thermostat location doesn't make a
difference without central air. I don't know, maybe running the oven,
or simmering something for hours does impact indoor temperature and
humidity, but it's not enough to make it unpleasant for me. Having a
larger house with higher ceilings makes a difference, also. If I had to
live in the same room that I cooked, I might think twice about summer soup.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Food temperature and taste