Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be prosecuted.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Shortbread.

SubjectAuthor
* Shortbread.Dave Smith
+* Re: Shortbread.Gary
|+- Re: Shortbread.dsi1
|+- Re: Shortbread.Dave Smith
|`- Re: Shortbread.itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
+* Re: Shortbread.dsi1
|`* Re: Shortbread.Bruce
| `* Re: Shortbread.dsi1
|  `* Re: Shortbread.Bruce
|   `* Re: Shortbread.dsi1
|    `* Re: Shortbread.Bruce
|     `- Re: Shortbread.dsi1
+- Re: Shortbread.Bruce
+* Re: Shortbread.itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
|`* Re: Shortbread.Dave Smith
| +* Re: Shortbread.itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
| |+- Re: Shortbread.S Viemeister
| |`* Re: Shortbread.Dave Smith
| | `* Re: Shortbread.Thomas
| |  `* Re: Shortbread.Thomas
| |   `* Re: Shortbread.itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
| |    `* Re: Shortbread.Thomas
| |     +* Re: Shortbread.Dave Smith
| |     |`- Re: Shortbread.Thomas
| |     `- Re: Shortbread.itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
| `- Re: Shortbread.Thomas
`- Re: Shortbread.Bryan Simmons

Pages:12
Shortbread.

<6KqlL.10675$9sn9.2388@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238517&group=rec.food.cooking#238517

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Subject: Shortbread.
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:05:21 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 20:05 UTC

I didn't want to make my Christmas shortbread too soon because I want
some around for the holidays, so I made it today. I made two batches. It
looks great. I tasted one and it was pretty darned good. Now I have to
put them away and let them mature for a week or so before we start
eating them.

While they were cooking I brought in the Christmas tree and set it up in
the stand. It has been out on the patio for two weeks so I will wait
until tomorrow to let the branches settle before I trim it.

I talked to me son this afternoon and there is a change of schedule so
they can join us here on the afternoon of the 24th. I called my nephew
to invite him for Christmas Eve. I put on some Christmas music so....
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Re: Shortbread.

<tn5e0m$20jqo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238520&group=rec.food.cooking#238520

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Shortbread.
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:19:34 -0500
 by: Gary - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 20:19 UTC

Dave Smith wrote:
> I talked to me son this afternoon and there is a change of schedule so
> they can join us here on the afternoon of the 24th. I called my nephew
> to invite him for Christmas Eve.  I put on some Christmas music so....
> It's beginning to look  a lot like Christmas.

My daughter and 2 grandchildren were planning to come here on Dec.23 but
she and husband aren't well. Both have tested positive for Covid in the
last few days so I probably won't see them then. Oh well.

Re: Shortbread.

<a84352f7-9720-4747-9de0-e367b1be5cecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238521&group=rec.food.cooking#238521

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:21:20 -0800 (PST)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 20:21 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 10:05:29 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> I didn't want to make my Christmas shortbread too soon because I want
> some around for the holidays, so I made it today. I made two batches. It
> looks great. I tasted one and it was pretty darned good. Now I have to
> put them away and let them mature for a week or so before we start
> eating them.
>
> While they were cooking I brought in the Christmas tree and set it up in
> the stand. It has been out on the patio for two weeks so I will wait
> until tomorrow to let the branches settle before I trim it.
>
> I talked to me son this afternoon and there is a change of schedule so
> they can join us here on the afternoon of the 24th. I called my nephew
> to invite him for Christmas Eve. I put on some Christmas music so....
> It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Shortbread cookies abound on this rock. The reason being is that shortbread dough uses no eggs. This means that the cleanup requirements are greatly reduced. From a manufacturing standpoint, it's a great advantage.

I saw some tins of Danish shortbread cookies in the store yesterday. They had large tins and they had small tins. These are typically given away as gifts at parties. It's an item that you'd never buy for yourself. The larger, more expensive tin was made by Danish folks. The smaller ones were made by Chinese folks.

Re: Shortbread.

<jvmsglFpd0iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238522&group=rec.food.cooking#238522

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 07:22:33 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 20:22 UTC

On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:05:21 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I didn't want to make my Christmas shortbread too soon because I want
>some around for the holidays, so I made it today. I made two batches. It
>looks great. I tasted one and it was pretty darned good. Now I have to
>put them away and let them mature for a week or so before we start
>eating them.
>
>While they were cooking I brought in the Christmas tree and set it up in
>the stand. It has been out on the patio for two weeks so I will wait
>until tomorrow to let the branches settle before I trim it.
>
>I talked to me son this afternoon and there is a change of schedule so
>they can join us here on the afternoon of the 24th. I called my nephew
>to invite him for Christmas Eve. I put on some Christmas music so....
>It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Are you sure you're a man?

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Shortbread.

<jvmstgFpd0iU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238524&group=rec.food.cooking#238524

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 07:29:23 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 20:29 UTC

On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:21:20 -0800 (PST), dsi1
<dsi123@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 10:05:29 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I didn't want to make my Christmas shortbread too soon because I want
>> some around for the holidays, so I made it today. I made two batches. It
>> looks great. I tasted one and it was pretty darned good. Now I have to
>> put them away and let them mature for a week or so before we start
>> eating them.
>>
>> While they were cooking I brought in the Christmas tree and set it up in
>> the stand. It has been out on the patio for two weeks so I will wait
>> until tomorrow to let the branches settle before I trim it.
>>
>> I talked to me son this afternoon and there is a change of schedule so
>> they can join us here on the afternoon of the 24th. I called my nephew
>> to invite him for Christmas Eve. I put on some Christmas music so....
>> It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
>
>Shortbread cookies abound on this rock. The reason being is that shortbread dough uses no eggs.

The reason is that...

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Shortbread.

<bbdda6f2-edca-43ce-a92e-a9f972ce9d8bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238526&group=rec.food.cooking#238526

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:42:11 -0800 (PST)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 20:42 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 10:29:43 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:21:20 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 10:05:29 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> I didn't want to make my Christmas shortbread too soon because I want
> >> some around for the holidays, so I made it today. I made two batches. It
> >> looks great. I tasted one and it was pretty darned good. Now I have to
> >> put them away and let them mature for a week or so before we start
> >> eating them.
> >>
> >> While they were cooking I brought in the Christmas tree and set it up in
> >> the stand. It has been out on the patio for two weeks so I will wait
> >> until tomorrow to let the branches settle before I trim it.
> >>
> >> I talked to me son this afternoon and there is a change of schedule so
> >> they can join us here on the afternoon of the 24th. I called my nephew
> >> to invite him for Christmas Eve. I put on some Christmas music so....
> >> It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
> >
> >Shortbread cookies abound on this rock. The reason being is that shortbread dough uses no eggs.
> The reason is that...
>
> --
> Bruce
> <https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Dass dakine high maka maka talkin. I going use dakine Hawaiian speakin. Wot - bodda you?

Re: Shortbread.

<32047455-c667-4417-940a-05489b7bc312n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238529&group=rec.food.cooking#238529

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:55:46 -0800 (PST)
From: boatwrig...@gmail.com (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 20:55 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 2:19:40 PM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > I talked to me son this afternoon and there is a change of schedule so
> > they can join us here on the afternoon of the 24th. I called my nephew
> > to invite him for Christmas Eve. I put on some Christmas music so....
> > It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
> My daughter and 2 grandchildren were planning to come here on Dec.23 but
> she and husband aren't well. Both have tested positive for Covid in the
> last few days so I probably won't see them then. Oh well.

There are so many snakes in India. While I lived there, I had 4 different snake wranglers in my phone, thankfully never needed to call.

They were frequently found in homes, my neighbor had a huge cobra sitting on her couch! This happens quite often
during the monsoon because the snakes flee to dry areas.

I was paranoid while living there. Especially of the Krait, which is highly venomous and deadly. Traffic is so bad, it would take a long time just to get to a local clinic down the street.

Also, at night, always look where you're walking. Just going the bathroom, I was on the lookout for snakes or scorpions.

Re: Shortbread.

<jvmvd6FppfaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238533&group=rec.food.cooking#238533

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 08:11:53 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:11 UTC

On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:42:11 -0800 (PST), dsi1
<dsi123@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 10:29:43 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:21:20 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>> >Shortbread cookies abound on this rock. The reason being is that shortbread dough uses no eggs.
>> The reason is that...
>>
>> --
>> Bruce
>> <https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>
>
>Dass dakine high maka maka talkin. I going use dakine Hawaiian speakin. Wot - bodda you?

Soon I'll reply to you in te reo Maori.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Shortbread.

<YbslL.282$eRZ7.234@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238538&group=rec.food.cooking#238538

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 16:45:28 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:45 UTC

On 2022-12-11 3:19 p.m., Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> I talked to me son this afternoon and there is a change of schedule so
>> they can join us here on the afternoon of the 24th. I called my nephew
>> to invite him for Christmas Eve.  I put on some Christmas music so....
>> It's beginning to look  a lot like Christmas.
>
> My daughter and 2 grandchildren were planning to come here on Dec.23 but
> she and husband aren't well. Both have tested positive for Covid in the
> last few days so I probably won't see them then.  Oh well.

Let's hope they get over it quickly. When my son and his then fiancee
got it about a month before their wedding they were only sick for a few
days.

Re: Shortbread.

<d33fc2b3-a00f-4166-86b7-354ea7bde482n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238539&group=rec.food.cooking#238539

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:50:45 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:50 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 2:05:29 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> I didn't want to make my Christmas shortbread too soon because I want
> some around for the holidays, so I made it today. I made two batches. It
> looks great. I tasted one and it was pretty darned good. Now I have to
> put them away and let them mature for a week or so before we start
> eating them.

I love shortbread even though I've never made it. I'll be turning out some
fruitcake cookie in about another 10 days.

Re: Shortbread.

<d364c442-a90a-4307-9dba-169b7ae15826n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238540&group=rec.food.cooking#238540

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:51:26 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:51 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 2:19:40 PM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> My daughter and 2 grandchildren were planning to come here on Dec.23 but
> she and husband aren't well. Both have tested positive for Covid in the
> last few days so I probably won't see them then. Oh well.

Unless they're all in the hospital they should be over it in a week or so.

Re: Shortbread.

<3e0692af-d881-4465-8087-ad64649ee896n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238542&group=rec.food.cooking#238542

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:55:20 -0800 (PST)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:55 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 11:12:12 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:42:11 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 10:29:43 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> The reason is that...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bruce
> >> <https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>
> >
> >Dass dakine high maka maka talkin. I going use dakine Hawaiian speakin. Wot - bodda you?
> Soon I'll reply to you in te reo Maori.
>
> --
> Bruce
> <https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

This might be of some help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3xlX0m2JA

Re: Shortbread.

<c0f8fc08-e32a-4981-ab32-4d08f858078an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238548&group=rec.food.cooking#238548

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:59:52 -0800 (PST)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 21:59 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 2:05:29 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> I didn't want to make my Christmas shortbread too soon because I want
> some around for the holidays, so I made it today. I made two batches. It
> looks great. I tasted one and it was pretty darned good. Now I have to
> put them away and let them mature for a week or so before we start
> eating them.
>
> While they were cooking I brought in the Christmas tree and set it up in
> the stand. It has been out on the patio for two weeks so I will wait
> until tomorrow to let the branches settle before I trim it.
>
> I talked to me son this afternoon and there is a change of schedule so
> they can join us here on the afternoon of the 24th. I called my nephew
> to invite him for Christmas Eve. I put on some Christmas music so....
> It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Big Niece could make Quick Work of that Short Bread.

--Bryan

Re: Shortbread.

<O2tlL.10693$9sn9.608@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238563&group=rec.food.cooking#238563

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 17:43:58 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 22:43 UTC

On 2022-12-11 4:50 p.m., itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
> On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 2:05:29 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I didn't want to make my Christmas shortbread too soon because I want
>> some around for the holidays, so I made it today. I made two batches. It
>> looks great. I tasted one and it was pretty darned good. Now I have to
>> put them away and let them mature for a week or so before we start
>> eating them.
>>
> I love shortbread even though I've never made it. I'll be turning out some
> fruitcake cookie in about another 10 days.

It's pretty easy to make. Just cream the butter and sugar together, then
add the flour. Let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes, knead in a
little more flour, roll it out, cut it and bake for 18 minutes. Three
ingredients. It doesn't get much simpler than that. That being said, my
brother's always turns out better than mine. Mine is pretty good, but
his is better.
When I was at the bakery for bread the other day I bough one of their
shortbread cookies. It was a nice big cookie, I guess more a bar of
Scottish shortbread. $1.85 per cookie. Much cheaper to make them
yourself.

Re: Shortbread.

<jvn50iFqjalU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238564&group=rec.food.cooking#238564

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 09:47:33 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 22:47 UTC

On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:55:20 -0800 (PST), dsi1
<dsi123@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 11:12:12 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:42:11 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Dass dakine high maka maka talkin. I going use dakine Hawaiian speakin. Wot - bodda you?
>> Soon I'll reply to you in te reo Maori.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce
>> <https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>
>
>This might be of some help.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3xlX0m2JA

The accent seems easier than English, French of German, at least for a
Dutchman. They pronounce most things the way I would in Dutch.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Shortbread.

<0d46be5f-4eff-4afb-a824-36c84230f588n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238578&group=rec.food.cooking#238578

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:04:14 -0800 (PST)
From: dsi...@hawaiiantel.net (dsi1)
 by: dsi1 - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:04 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 12:47:53 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2022 13:55:20 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 11:12:12 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> Soon I'll reply to you in te reo Maori.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bruce
> >> <https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>
> >
> >This might be of some help.
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3xlX0m2JA
> The accent seems easier than English, French of German, at least for a
> Dutchman. They pronounce most things the way I would in Dutch.
>
> --
> Bruce
> <https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

According to the Maori tradition, they came from Hawaiki but the language doesn't seem to be anything like Hawaiian. That's curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1wJ0Osgaa4

Re: Shortbread.

<65e8e21b-1050-4107-9d68-082d19943f03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238582&group=rec.food.cooking#238582

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:11:17 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:11 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 4:44:05 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2022-12-11 4:50 p.m., itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >
> > I love shortbread even though I've never made it.
> >
> It's pretty easy to make. Just cream the butter and sugar together, then
> add the flour. Let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes, knead in a
> little more flour, roll it out, cut it and bake for 18 minutes. Three
> ingredients. It doesn't get much simpler than that. That being said, my
> brother's always turns out better than mine. Mine is pretty good, but
> his is better.

It does sound simple enough, but I wonder why your brother's is better
than yours? Does he add a couple of drops of vanilla, perhaps???

Re: Shortbread.

<8c67be84-7908-4e45-aa26-cc7cf838abb9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238584&group=rec.food.cooking#238584

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 15:15:34 -0800 (PST)
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:15 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 5:44:05 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-12-11 4:50 p.m., itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 2:05:29 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> I didn't want to make my Christmas shortbread too soon because I want
> >> some around for the holidays, so I made it today. I made two batches. It
> >> looks great. I tasted one and it was pretty darned good. Now I have to
> >> put them away and let them mature for a week or so before we start
> >> eating them.
> >>
> > I love shortbread even though I've never made it. I'll be turning out some
> > fruitcake cookie in about another 10 days.
> It's pretty easy to make. Just cream the butter and sugar together, then
> add the flour. Let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes, knead in a
> little more flour, roll it out, cut it and bake for 18 minutes. Three
> ingredients. It doesn't get much simpler than that. That being said, my
> brother's always turns out better than mine. Mine is pretty good, but
> his is better.
> When I was at the bakery for bread the other day I bough one of their
> shortbread cookies. It was a nice big cookie, I guess more a bar of
> Scottish shortbread. $1.85 per cookie. Much cheaper to make them
> yourself.
Maybe he uses 4 ingredients. Add vanilla extract.

Re: Shortbread.

<jvn71nFqur5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238585&group=rec.food.cooking#238585

From: firstn...@lastname.oc.ku (S Viemeister)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:22:31 +0000
 by: S Viemeister - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 23:22 UTC

On 11/12/2022 23:11, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
> On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 4:44:05 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> On 2022-12-11 4:50 p.m., itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>>>
>>> I love shortbread even though I've never made it.
>>>
>> It's pretty easy to make. Just cream the butter and sugar together, then
>> add the flour. Let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes, knead in a
>> little more flour, roll it out, cut it and bake for 18 minutes. Three
>> ingredients. It doesn't get much simpler than that. That being said, my
>> brother's always turns out better than mine. Mine is pretty good, but
>> his is better.
>>
> It does sound simple enough, but I wonder why your brother's is better
> than yours? Does he add a couple of drops of vanilla, perhaps???

Sometimes it's just as simple as using a different brand of flour, or
over-kneading, or letting the butter get too warm.

My mother used some rice flour in hers, and it always turned out well.

Re: Shortbread.

<eFulL.5781$Ldj8.3094@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238606&group=rec.food.cooking#238606

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 19:33:13 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 00:33 UTC

On 2022-12-11 6:11 p.m., itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
> On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 4:44:05 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> On 2022-12-11 4:50 p.m., itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>>>
>>> I love shortbread even though I've never made it.
>>>
>> It's pretty easy to make. Just cream the butter and sugar together, then
>> add the flour. Let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes, knead in a
>> little more flour, roll it out, cut it and bake for 18 minutes. Three
>> ingredients. It doesn't get much simpler than that. That being said, my
>> brother's always turns out better than mine. Mine is pretty good, but
>> his is better.
>>
> It does sound simple enough, but I wonder why your brother's is better
> than yours? Does he add a couple of drops of vanilla, perhaps???

Nope. I called him this morning and asked him what his secret is that
his is better than mine. We both use my mother's recipe. He said it is
really important that the butter be soft.

He told me once that his wife tried to make it and it turned out
horribly and that she thought my mother had left something out of the
recipe. So he made a batch of cookies using my mother's recipe and
followed the recipe to the letter, and his cookies were good.

Re: Shortbread.

<f729db7d-dfc5-4a47-8945-58fc73bfc949n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238720&group=rec.food.cooking#238720

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 16:08:22 -0800 (PST)
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 00:08 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 7:33:21 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-12-11 6:11 p.m., itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> >> It's pretty easy to make. Just cream the butter and sugar together, then
> >> add the flour. Let it sit in the fridge for 10 minutes, knead in a
> >> little more flour, roll it out, cut it and bake for 18 minutes. Three
> >> ingredients. It doesn't get much simpler than that. That being said, my
> >> brother's always turns out better than mine. Mine is pretty good, but
> >> his is better.
> >>
> > It does sound simple enough, but I wonder why your brother's is better
> > than yours? Does he add a couple of drops of vanilla, perhaps???
> >
> Nope. I called him this morning and asked him what his secret is that
> his is better than mine. We both use my mother's recipe. He said it is
> really important that the butter be soft.
>

> He told me once that his wife tried to make it and it turned out
> horribly and that she thought my mother had left something out of the
> recipe. So he made a batch of cookies using my mother's recipe and
> followed the recipe to the letter, and his cookies were good.
I just took out some sticks to get room temp for tomorrow. I plan on checking it out, good or bad.
I am sure Bad will not happen. Something to do on vaca. I am on Use it or lose it hours, rolling 40.

Re: Shortbread.

<3de8f432-e342-447c-88df-c629fa06d30bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238928&group=rec.food.cooking#238928

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 12:55:15 -0800 (PST)
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 20:55 UTC

On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 7:08:27 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 7:33:21 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > It does sound simple enough, but I wonder why your brother's is better
> > > than yours? Does he add a couple of drops of vanilla, perhaps???
> > >
> > Nope. I called him this morning and asked him what his secret is that
> > his is better than mine. We both use my mother's recipe. He said it is
> > really important that the butter be soft.
> >

> > He told me once that his wife tried to make it and it turned out
> > horribly and that she thought my mother had left something out of the
> > recipe. So he made a batch of cookies using my mother's recipe and
> > followed the recipe to the letter, and his cookies were good.
> I just took out some sticks to get room temp for tomorrow. I plan on checking it out, good or bad.
> I am sure Bad will not happen. Something to do on vaca. I am on Use it or lose it hours, rolling 40.

https://postimg.cc/SX1GC1Vz
Dough going into fridge. First timer.
Recipe from Preppy Kitchen. It included a half tsp vanilla.

Re: Shortbread.

<d679aaa4-d8b5-4cb2-a846-4ae2df47f47cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239021&group=rec.food.cooking#239021

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 17:30:34 -0800 (PST)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 01:30 UTC

On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 2:55:19 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:

> https://postimg.cc/SX1GC1Vz
> Dough going into fridge. First timer.
> Recipe from Preppy Kitchen. It included a half tsp vanilla.

If you need a taste tester, shoot me a message!!

Re: Shortbread.

<580080df-3bbb-4c3e-b49f-d22f0ed19fc3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239031&group=rec.food.cooking#239031

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 17:54:27 -0800 (PST)
From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
 by: Thomas - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 01:54 UTC

On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 8:30:38 PM UTC-5, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 2:55:19 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
> >
> > https://postimg.cc/SX1GC1Vz
> > Dough going into fridge. First timer.
> > Recipe from Preppy Kitchen. It included a half tsp vanilla.
> >
> If you need a taste tester, shoot me a message!!

Here is a pic done. The recipe said to cut into half inch slices.
I did.
I did not know they would be in the exact shape they went into the oven. I thought they would flatten.
I now know what to expect next time.
I put them in a paper bag in a plastic ziplok. Good storage? The pic is all I made so they will not last long.
Taste and crumb is good.

https://postimg.cc/ykb2kGH2

Re: Shortbread.

<aoamL.3102$Olad.511@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239036&group=rec.food.cooking#239036

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 21:18:46 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 02:18 UTC

On 2022-12-13 8:54 p.m., Thomas wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 8:30:38 PM UTC-5, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
>> On Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 2:55:19 PM UTC-6, Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> https://postimg.cc/SX1GC1Vz
>>> Dough going into fridge. First timer.
>>> Recipe from Preppy Kitchen. It included a half tsp vanilla.
>>>
>> If you need a taste tester, shoot me a message!!
>
> Here is a pic done. The recipe said to cut into half inch slices.
> I did.
> I did not know they would be in the exact shape they went into the oven. I thought they would flatten.
> I now know what to expect next time.
> I put them in a paper bag in a plastic ziplok. Good storage? The pic is all I made so they will not last long.
> Taste and crumb is good.
>
> https://postimg.cc/ykb2kGH2

That looks like a pretty good Scottish shortbread. I grew up with
shortbreads that had been cut with cookie cutters but I think some time
I should try cutting them into bars like that.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Shortbread.