History repeats itself -- the first time as a tragi-comedy, the second time as bedroom farce.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesMichael Trew
+- Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesBryan Simmons
+* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesCindy Hamilton
|+* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipesbruce bowser
||`* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesGary
|| `* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesCindy Hamilton
||  `* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesDave Smith
||   +* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesCindy Hamilton
||   |+- Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesBruce
||   |+- Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesDave Smith
||   |`* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesGraham
||   | `* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesJanet
||   |  +- Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipesbruce bowser
||   |  +- Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesGraham
||   |  `- Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipessongbird
||   `* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesMichael Trew
||    `* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesCindy Hamilton
||     `- Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipesbruce bowser
|`* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesLeonard Blaisdell
| `- Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder RecipesCindy Hamilton
`* Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipesjmcquown
 `- Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipesbruce bowser

1
Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<VrulL.8376$PXw7.5324@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238602&group=rec.food.cooking#238602

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 19:19:01 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 00:19 UTC

On 12/11/2022 17:12, GM wrote:
> On Saturday, August 26, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> I'm baaack! It was a good trip. Long story short, Jill the soup fanatic
>> adores New England Clam Chowder and can't get enough of it. So please share
>> your recipes for this. (I have found a number of them, but I would like to
>> hear your tried and true fav's.)
>> I don't have access to fresh clams; canned clams will have to do. And I
>> while I'm obviously not a purist, while searching the Web I did not even
>> look at any of the recipes calling for Campbell's potato soup as part of the
>> ingredients list. If I wanted to do that, I'd just buy Campbell's clam
>> chowder and be done with it.
>> I have canned minced clams; I have milk and I have half& half, as well as
>> evaporated milk. I have white potatoes. I have bacon, I have onions and
>> parsley and salt and pepper. I think I have everything I need. Please
>> bring on your favorite New England Clam Chowder recipes! I'd like to make a
>> pot of this on Sunday afternoon.
>> Jill
>> --Beloved dog Sampson: April, 1982 - November, 1999
>> ---and 2 cute parakeets, Rachael& Taz (still with us)

Jill "the soup fanatic" from 22 years ago stocked onions. Get on the
ball, 2022 Jill! :)

> Twenty two years later, and Jill is still with us, lol...

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<58a444c4-5e39-4bc6-93bc-61140d43cc84n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238604&group=rec.food.cooking#238604

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 16:26:19 -0800 (PST)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 00:26 UTC

On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 6:19:08 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/11/2022 17:12, GM wrote:
> > On Saturday, August 26, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> >> I'm baaack! It was a good trip. Long story short, Jill the soup fanatic
> >> adores New England Clam Chowder and can't get enough of it. So please share
> >> your recipes for this. (I have found a number of them, but I would like to
> >> hear your tried and true fav's.)
> >> I don't have access to fresh clams; canned clams will have to do. And I
> >> while I'm obviously not a purist, while searching the Web I did not even
> >> look at any of the recipes calling for Campbell's potato soup as part of the
> >> ingredients list. If I wanted to do that, I'd just buy Campbell's clam
> >> chowder and be done with it.
> >> I have canned minced clams; I have milk and I have half& half, as well as
> >> evaporated milk. I have white potatoes. I have bacon, I have onions and
> >> parsley and salt and pepper. I think I have everything I need. Please
> >> bring on your favorite New England Clam Chowder recipes! I'd like to make a
> >> pot of this on Sunday afternoon.
> >> Jill
> >> --Beloved dog Sampson: April, 1982 - November, 1999
> >> ---and 2 cute parakeets, Rachael& Taz (still with us)
> Jill "the soup fanatic" from 22 years ago stocked onions. Get on the
> ball, 2022 Jill! :)
> > Twenty two years later, and Jill is still with us, lol...

She has evaporated milk to dump in too!

--Bryan

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<t8DlL.9316$PXw7.7789@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238636&group=rec.food.cooking#238636

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 10:12:41 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 10:12 UTC

On 2022-12-12, Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
> On 12/11/2022 17:12, GM wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 26, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I'm baaack! It was a good trip. Long story short, Jill the soup fanatic
>>> adores New England Clam Chowder and can't get enough of it. So please share
>>> your recipes for this. (I have found a number of them, but I would like to
>>> hear your tried and true fav's.)
>>> I don't have access to fresh clams; canned clams will have to do. And I
>>> while I'm obviously not a purist, while searching the Web I did not even
>>> look at any of the recipes calling for Campbell's potato soup as part of the
>>> ingredients list. If I wanted to do that, I'd just buy Campbell's clam
>>> chowder and be done with it.
>>> I have canned minced clams; I have milk and I have half& half, as well as
>>> evaporated milk. I have white potatoes. I have bacon, I have onions and
>>> parsley and salt and pepper. I think I have everything I need. Please
>>> bring on your favorite New England Clam Chowder recipes! I'd like to make a
>>> pot of this on Sunday afternoon.
>>> Jill
>>> --Beloved dog Sampson: April, 1982 - November, 1999
>>> ---and 2 cute parakeets, Rachael& Taz (still with us)
>
> Jill "the soup fanatic" from 22 years ago stocked onions. Get on the
> ball, 2022 Jill! :)

Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy an onion.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<f96aa59f-c99e-45b9-b5cf-8eb028ae4eb6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238697&group=rec.food.cooking#238697

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 14:07:48 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:07 UTC

On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 5:12:47 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-12, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> >
> > Jill "the soup fanatic" from 22 years ago stocked onions. Get on the
> > ball, 2022 Jill! :)
>
> Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy an onion.

I like how you can buy them already shredded in a plastic carton.

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<jvpne8F7r82U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238700&group=rec.food.cooking#238700

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 12 Dec 2022 22:14:32 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:14 UTC

On 2022-12-12, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

> Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy an onion.

One onion? Onions are an integral part of my four essential vegetables:
Onions, carrots, celery and potatoes. I'm not judging at all. Different
strokes.

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<tn8ar6$2a8lg$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238707&group=rec.food.cooking#238707

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 17:43:49 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:43 UTC

On 12/11/2022 7:19 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/11/2022 17:12, GM wrote:
>> On Saturday, August 26, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I'm baaack! It was a good trip. Long story short, Jill the soup fanatic
>>> adores New England Clam Chowder and can't get enough of it. So please
>>> share
>>> your recipes for this. (I have found a number of them, but I would
>>> like to
>>> hear your tried and true fav's.)
>>> I don't have access to fresh clams; canned clams will have to do. And I
>>> while I'm obviously not a purist, while searching the Web I did not even
>>> look at any of the recipes calling for Campbell's potato soup as part
>>> of the
>>> ingredients list. If I wanted to do that, I'd just buy Campbell's clam
>>> chowder and be done with it.
>>> I have canned minced clams; I have milk and I have half&  half, as
>>> well as
>>> evaporated milk. I have white potatoes. I have bacon, I have onions and
>>> parsley and salt and pepper. I think I have everything I need. Please
>>> bring on your favorite New England Clam Chowder recipes! I'd like to
>>> make a
>>> pot of this on Sunday afternoon.
>>> Jill
>>> --Beloved dog Sampson: April, 1982 - November, 1999
>>> ---and 2 cute parakeets, Rachael&  Taz (still with us)
>
> Jill "the soup fanatic" from 22 years ago stocked onions.  Get on the
> ball, 2022 Jill!  :)

"Stocked onions"? How many onions do you think I bought for making a
pot of clam chowder? Same with potatoes. :)

>> Twenty two years later, and Jill is still with us, lol...

I've been here a few years longer than that, Michael.

Jill

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<oFXlL.9433$PXw7.6979@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238810&group=rec.food.cooking#238810

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:33:08 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:33 UTC

On 2022-12-12, Leonard Blaisdell <leoblaisdell@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2022-12-12, Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy an onion.
>

> One onion? Onions are an integral part of my four essential vegetables:
> Onions, carrots, celery and potatoes. I'm not judging at all. Different
> strokes.

Yes, one onion. I don't often make anything that uses onion.
I usually have one in the cupboard along with a couple heads of
garlic, but I used it.

Celery and carrots always in the fridge, since we eat a lot of
raw vegetables. Along with iceberg and romaine lettuce, parsley,
cucumbers, lemons and limes for salad dressings, and (not in
the fridge) grape tomatoes. From time to time I vary the selection
with red bell peppers, radishes, or whatever looks good at the store.
Maybe I'll put kohlrabi on the shopping list...

I can't remember the last time I bought potatoes. Probably sometime
in the past year.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<tnafub$2il4d$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238888&group=rec.food.cooking#238888

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:23:08 -0500
 by: Gary - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 18:23 UTC

bruce bowser wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy an onion.

"an onion"

> I like how you can buy them already shredded in a plastic carton.

No knife?

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<5b5mL.632$8blb.5@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238922&group=rec.food.cooking#238922

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 20:23:29 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 20:23 UTC

On 2022-12-13, Gary <g.majors@att.net> wrote:
> bruce bowser wrote:
>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy an onion.
>
> "an onion"

Yep. I keep an onion on hand. When I've used it, I buy another
one. This happens every other month or so.

How many onions should I keep on hand? How many should I let
rot because I didn't use them?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<su6mL.12164$Tcw8.4753@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238942&group=rec.food.cooking#238942

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 16:52:24 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 21:52 UTC

On 2022-12-13 3:23 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-13, Gary <g.majors@att.net> wrote:
>> bruce bowser wrote:

>> "an onion"
>
> Yep. I keep an onion on hand. When I've used it, I buy another
> one. This happens every other month or so.
>
> How many onions should I keep on hand? How many should I let
> rot because I didn't use them?

We buy 5 lb bags of onions and rarely have to throw any out. I guess we
like and eat a lot more onion than you do. If we do a roast we usually
throw a couple onions in the baking pan to roast along with the meat. I
love those things.

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<_E6mL.12168$Tcw8.4714@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238949&group=rec.food.cooking#238949

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:03:38 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:03 UTC

On 2022-12-13, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2022-12-13 3:23 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> "an onion"
>>
>> Yep. I keep an onion on hand. When I've used it, I buy another
>> one. This happens every other month or so.
>>
>> How many onions should I keep on hand? How many should I let
>> rot because I didn't use them?
>>

> We buy 5 lb bags of onions and rarely have to throw any out. I guess we
> like and eat a lot more onion than you do. If we do a roast we usually
> throw a couple onions in the baking pan to roast along with the meat. I
> love those things.

Beef, I assume. I haven't roasted beef in a couple of years, at least.

Whole onions? I'm afraid they'd taste boiled, and I hate boiled onions.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<jvsc1oFkk3uU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238952&group=rec.food.cooking#238952

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 09:18:31 +1100
 by: Bruce - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:18 UTC

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:03:38 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hamilton@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2022-12-13, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> We buy 5 lb bags of onions and rarely have to throw any out. I guess we
>> like and eat a lot more onion than you do. If we do a roast we usually
>> throw a couple onions in the baking pan to roast along with the meat. I
>> love those things.
>
>Beef, I assume. I haven't roasted beef in a couple of years, at least.
>
>Whole onions? I'm afraid they'd taste boiled, and I hate boiled onions.

Princess hates boiled onions. Noted!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<0T6mL.12169$Tcw8.1133@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238953&group=rec.food.cooking#238953

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 17:18:36 -0500
 by: Dave Smith - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:18 UTC

On 2022-12-13 5:03 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-13, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> We buy 5 lb bags of onions and rarely have to throw any out. I guess we
>> like and eat a lot more onion than you do. If we do a roast we usually
>> throw a couple onions in the baking pan to roast along with the meat. I
>> love those things.
>
> Beef, I assume. I haven't roasted beef in a couple of years, at least.
>
> Whole onions? I'm afraid they'd taste boiled, and I hate boiled onions.

It is rarely beef. Most often it is a chicken. I just skin a couple
small to medium sized white onions and toss them into the roasting pan.
They taste better than boiled onions but I might add that my mother used
to served creamed onions frequently and I always liked them. The roasted
onions IMO are better, but then a lot of vegetables I am not crazy about
are much better roasted.

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<f1fe9021-d623-4a94-aa8c-24e9f74fa62fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238956&group=rec.food.cooking#238956

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:26:41 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:26 UTC

On Monday, December 12, 2022 at 5:43:56 PM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> On 12/11/2022 7:19 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> >
> > Jill "the soup fanatic" from 22 years ago stocked onions. Get on the
> > ball, 2022 Jill! :)
> >
> "Stocked onions"? How many onions do you think I bought for making a
> pot of clam chowder? Same with potatoes. :)
> >> Twenty two years later, and Jill is still with us, lol...
> I've been here a few years longer than that, Michael.

You tell 'em, Jill ! !

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<9b7mL.141273$8_id.35919@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238961&group=rec.food.cooking#238961

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 15:40:04 -0700
 by: Graham - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 22:40 UTC

On 2022-12-13 3:03 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-13, Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Yep. I keep an onion on hand. When I've used it, I buy another
>>> one. This happens every other month or so.
>>>
>>> How many onions should I keep on hand? How many should I let
>>> rot because I didn't use them?
>>>

>> We buy 5 lb bags of onions and rarely have to throw any out. I guess we
>> like and eat a lot more onion than you do. If we do a roast we usually
>> throw a couple onions in the baking pan to roast along with the meat. I
>> love those things.
>
> Beef, I assume. I haven't roasted beef in a couple of years, at least.
>
> Whole onions? I'm afraid they'd taste boiled, and I hate boiled onions.

During cold and flu season, my grandmother would boil an onion with the
potatoes and then mash them together. I was a folk remedy to keep cold
at bay, I suppose.

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<MPG.3e03d37c99e764e5989821@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239099&group=rec.food.cooking#239099

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 12:35:43 -0000
 by: Janet - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 12:35 UTC

In article <9b7mL.141273$8_id.35919@fx09.iad>,
g.stereo@shaw.ca says...
> During cold and flu season, my grandmother would boil an onion with the
> potatoes and then mash them together. I was a folk remedy to keep cold
> at bay, I suppose.

My granny said the same.

My mother used to parboil a pan of peeled whole onions
then bake them in cheese sauce with a crispy baked crumb
and cheese topping.

I still love that dish.

Janet UK

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<1zlmL.17585$t5W7.2202@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239139&group=rec.food.cooking#239139

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 10:01:20 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 15:01 UTC

On 12/13/2022 16:52, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-12-13 3:23 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Yep. I keep an onion on hand. When I've used it, I buy another
>> one. This happens every other month or so.
>>
>> How many onions should I keep on hand? How many should I let
>> rot because I didn't use them?

Perhaps you should use more onions in your cooking ;)

> We buy 5 lb bags of onions and rarely have to throw any out. I guess we
> like and eat a lot more onion than you do. If we do a roast we usually
> throw a couple onions in the baking pan to roast along with the meat. I
> love those things.

I do the same, and they get used up.

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<1a5215a5-d700-43dd-b0b4-083243bf13dfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239146&group=rec.food.cooking#239146

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 07:27:35 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 15:27 UTC

On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 7:35:54 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> In article <9b7mL.141273$8_id....@fx09.iad>,
> g.st...@shaw.ca says...
> > During cold and flu season, my grandmother would boil an onion with the
> > potatoes and then mash them together. I was a folk remedy to keep cold
> > at bay, I suppose.
>
> My granny said the same.
>
> My mother used to parboil a pan of peeled whole onions
> then bake them in cheese sauce with a crispy baked crumb
> and cheese topping.
>
> I still love that dish.

That sounds a little harsh. Maybe, I'd grate the onions, then grate potatoes (and wash out the potato starch), then I'd go forward with everything else you said.

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<p7mmL.6991$jiuc.667@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239159&group=rec.food.cooking#239159

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 15:40:05 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 15:40 UTC

On 2022-12-14, Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net> wrote:
> On 12/13/2022 16:52, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2022-12-13 3:23 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep. I keep an onion on hand. When I've used it, I buy another
>>> one. This happens every other month or so.
>>>
>>> How many onions should I keep on hand? How many should I let
>>> rot because I didn't use them?
>
> Perhaps you should use more onions in your cooking ;)

Perhaps you should use fewer. ;)

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<31074128-d0ec-4a44-af08-6774fc041924n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239164&group=rec.food.cooking#239164

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 07:56:32 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 15:56 UTC

On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 10:40:12 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-14, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> > Perhaps you should use more onions in your cooking ;)
> Perhaps you should use fewer. ;)

Nope. Can't do that when deep frying onion rings.

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<onmmL.39219$iU59.38731@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239165&group=rec.food.cooking#239165

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 08:57:07 -0700
 by: Graham - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 15:57 UTC

On 2022-12-14 5:35 a.m., Janet wrote:
> In article <9b7mL.141273$8_id.35919@fx09.iad>,
> g.stereo@shaw.ca says...
>
>> During cold and flu season, my grandmother would boil an onion with the
>> potatoes and then mash them together. I was a folk remedy to keep cold
>> at bay, I suppose.
>
> My granny said the same.
>
> My mother used to parboil a pan of peeled whole onions
> then bake them in cheese sauce with a crispy baked crumb
> and cheese topping.
>
> I still love that dish.
>
> Janet UK

That's delicious but my grandmother's method wasn't!

Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes

<subp6j-4c6.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=239174&group=rec.food.cooking#239174

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:58:36 -0500
 by: songbird - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 16:58 UTC

Janet wrote:
> My mother used to parboil a pan of peeled whole onions
> then bake them in cheese sauce with a crispy baked crumb
> and cheese topping.
>
> I still love that dish.

we love onions so that all sounds good to me. :)
even with potatoes in there it would be ok, but i'd
like about half and half the best.

songbird

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Looking for N.E. Clam Chowder Recipes