Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools. -- George Chapman

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

SubjectAuthor
* Ole Timey Meats December Specialjmcquown
+* Re: Ole Timey Meats December SpecialEd Pawlowski
|`* Re: Ole Timey Meats December Specialjmcquown
| `* Re: Ole Timey Meats December SpecialEd Pawlowski
|  `* Re: Ole Timey Meats December Specialjmcquown
|   `- Re: Ole Timey Meats December SpecialEd Pawlowski
+* Re: Ole Timey Meats December SpecialMichael Trew
|`* Re: Ole Timey Meats December Specialjmcquown
| `- Re: Ole Timey Meats December SpecialMichael Trew
`- Re: Ole Timey Meats December Specialbruce bowser

1
Ole Timey Meats December Special

<tmvcqo$15cos$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238032&group=rec.food.cooking#238032

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Ole Timey Meats December Special
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 08:22:30 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 13:22 UTC

I picked up the December special after I left the office yesterday (the
one at the top of the screen):

https://oletimeymeats.com/specials/

For Christmas, rather than a rib roast I'm considering reserving a
chateau portion of beef tenderloin (trimmed and tied). The thing is,
I've never cooked beef tenderloin and at $28/lb. I sure wouldn't want to
screw it up.

Jill

Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

<YbHkL.801$cKvc.697@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238048&group=rec.food.cooking#238048

Subject: Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 09:00:24 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 14:00 UTC

On 12/9/2022 8:22 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I picked up the December special after I left the office yesterday (the
> one at the top of the screen):
>
> https://oletimeymeats.com/specials/
>
> For Christmas, rather than a rib roast I'm considering reserving a
> chateau portion of beef tenderloin (trimmed and tied).  The thing is,
> I've never cooked beef tenderloin and at $28/lb. I sure wouldn't want to
> screw it up.
>
> Jill

It is pricey but easy to cook. Season outside. Grill or oven, high
heat, take it out when the internal is about 110 to 115 and let rest.

Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

<tmvg7r$15cos$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238051&group=rec.food.cooking#238051

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 09:20:41 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 14:20 UTC

On 12/9/2022 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/9/2022 8:22 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I picked up the December special after I left the office yesterday
>> (the one at the top of the screen):
>>
>> https://oletimeymeats.com/specials/
>>
>> For Christmas, rather than a rib roast I'm considering reserving a
>> chateau portion of beef tenderloin (trimmed and tied).  The thing is,
>> I've never cooked beef tenderloin and at $28/lb. I sure wouldn't want
>> to screw it up.
>>
>> Jill
>
> It is pricey but easy to cook. Season outside.  Grill or oven, high
> heat, take it out when the internal is about 110 to 115 and let rest.

Thanks, Ed! Anything other than S&P for seasoning? When I do a *rib
roast* I insert slivers of garlic on top and, along with S&P, I pat a
little dried thyme on the roast.

Jill

Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

<MBJkL.5234$9sn9.3519@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238096&group=rec.food.cooking#238096

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 11:44:29 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 16:44 UTC

On 12/9/2022 9:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/9/2022 9:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 12/9/2022 8:22 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I picked up the December special after I left the office yesterday
>>> (the one at the top of the screen):
>>>
>>> https://oletimeymeats.com/specials/
>>>
>>> For Christmas, rather than a rib roast I'm considering reserving a
>>> chateau portion of beef tenderloin (trimmed and tied).  The thing is,
>>> I've never cooked beef tenderloin and at $28/lb. I sure wouldn't want
>>> to screw it up.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> It is pricey but easy to cook. Season outside.  Grill or oven, high
>> heat, take it out when the internal is about 110 to 115 and let rest.
>

> Thanks, Ed!  Anything other than S&P for seasoning?  When I do a *rib
> roast* I insert slivers of garlic on top and, along with S&P, I pat a
> little dried thyme on the roast.
>
> Jill

Yes, same as any other beef roast. Garlic, of course. It is scary with
any expensive cut but with digital thermometers it is fairly simple.

Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

<tmvp0h$15cos$18@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238099&group=rec.food.cooking#238099

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 11:50:23 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 16:50 UTC

On 12/9/2022 11:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/9/2022 9:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> It is pricey but easy to cook. Season outside.  Grill or oven, high
>>> heat, take it out when the internal is about 110 to 115 and let rest.
>>

>> Thanks, Ed!  Anything other than S&P for seasoning?  When I do a *rib
>> roast* I insert slivers of garlic on top and, along with S&P, I pat a
>> little dried thyme on the roast.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Yes, same as any other beef roast.  Garlic, of course.  It is scary with
> any expensive cut but with digital thermometers it is fairly simple.

I do have a good digital thermometer. I'll want this done no more than
medium rare so I'll go with your 110-115 and let it rest. Should I tent
it with foil while it rests?

Jill

Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

<3KJkL.5236$9sn9.2962@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238100&group=rec.food.cooking#238100

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 11:53:20 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 9 Dec 2022 16:53 UTC

On 12/9/2022 11:50 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/9/2022 11:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Thanks, Ed!  Anything other than S&P for seasoning?  When I do a *rib
>>> roast* I insert slivers of garlic on top and, along with S&P, I pat a
>>> little dried thyme on the roast.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Yes, same as any other beef roast.  Garlic, of course.  It is scary
>> with any expensive cut but with digital thermometers it is fairly simple.
>
> I do have a good digital thermometer.  I'll want this done no more than
> medium rare so I'll go with your 110-115 and let it rest.  Should I tent
> it with foil while it rests?
>
> Jill
You probably should but I usually don't think about it.

Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

<_AQkL.2931$jiuc.2607@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238192&group=rec.food.cooking#238192

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 19:41:37 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 00:41 UTC

On 12/9/2022 8:22, jmcquown wrote:
> I picked up the December special after I left the office yesterday (the
> one at the top of the screen):
>
> https://oletimeymeats.com/specials/

Prices in your region are probably a bit higher than what I expect to
see here. I'd probably opt for the very bottom left choice ($73) myself
for freezer meat. The trouble with some of the other packages, are that
I don't do fancy cuts of steak. I like stew beef, chicken, cube steak,
bottom round, etc.

Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

<tn261r$1lje0$9@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238301&group=rec.food.cooking#238301

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 09:45:12 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 10 Dec 2022 14:45 UTC

On 12/9/2022 7:41 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/9/2022 8:22, jmcquown wrote:
>> I picked up the December special after I left the office yesterday (the
>> one at the top of the screen):
>>
>> https://oletimeymeats.com/specials/
>
> Prices in your region are probably a bit higher than what I expect to
> see here.  I'd probably opt for the very bottom left choice ($73) myself
> for freezer meat.  The trouble with some of the other packages, are that
> I don't do fancy cuts of steak.  I like stew beef, chicken, cube steak,
> bottom round, etc.

I'm sure the prices in this area are higher. If I were you I'd go with
the option you chose. Still, I got a very good deal. There's no way
could I select all those items at the meat counter at the grocery store
for that price. I'm not sure what I'll do with the cube steaks. The
last time they were part of the special I purchased, I tried to use them
to make country fried steak but they were too tough for that method.
I'll have to figure out a long, slow braise for them.

Jill

Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

<%k9lL.10097$9sn9.1234@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238403&group=rec.food.cooking#238403

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 19:18:11 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 00:18 UTC

On 12/10/2022 9:45, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/9/2022 7:41 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 12/9/2022 8:22, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I picked up the December special after I left the office yesterday (the
>>> one at the top of the screen):
>>>
>>> https://oletimeymeats.com/specials/
>>
>> Prices in your region are probably a bit higher than what I expect to
>> see here. I'd probably opt for the very bottom left choice ($73)
>> myself for freezer meat. The trouble with some of the other packages,
>> are that I don't do fancy cuts of steak. I like stew beef, chicken,
>> cube steak, bottom round, etc.
>

> I'm sure the prices in this area are higher. If I were you I'd go with
> the option you chose. Still, I got a very good deal. There's no way
> could I select all those items at the meat counter at the grocery store
> for that price. I'm not sure what I'll do with the cube steaks. The last
> time they were part of the special I purchased, I tried to use them to
> make country fried steak but they were too tough for that method. I'll
> have to figure out a long, slow braise for them.
>
> Jill

Nice cheap cut of beef for braising; that's exactly what I do with them.
I'd bet that you could use them for your Swiss-steak recipe. As a
matter of fact, when I tried your recipe, I think I used cube steak; but
I can't say for sure.

Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special

<70e0b31a-9078-4d20-af43-a76f700d157fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=238889&group=rec.food.cooking#238889

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:25:42 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 18:25 UTC

On Friday, December 9, 2022 at 8:22:39 AM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> I picked up the December special after I left the office yesterday (the
> one at the top of the screen):
>
> https://oletimeymeats.com/specials/
>
> For Christmas, rather than a rib roast

How abhorrent! All ribs should be smoked and put on the grill !

interests / rec.food.cooking / Re: Ole Timey Meats December Special