From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Ping Retirednoguilt Follow-up on TV repair, for friend who lives in the st icks
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 06:17:20 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 03:17 UTC

Success.

Retirednoguilt was kind enough to post
Power supply on ebay shows a fuse in the photo :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-40RV525U-Power-Supply-75013355-PK101V0830I-/263417775721?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c3#viTabs_0
and that looks just like her power supply.

I think there might have been one other for sale somewhere in the world,
but this one was in Baltimore**.

As I mentioned maybe 8 or 9 weeks ago, even though I'm in Greece, the
ebay product above was for sale in Baltimore, where I'm from, and where
my friend in the sticks used to live until 3 years ago.

**And she had a 70-year-old girlfriend coming to visit the woman's kid
and grandkids, and visit my friend too.

So she asked her to pick up the board in person, to make sure she had it
when she flew over. We met her in Athens, had a nice visit with
everyone (I didn't know them before) and then my friend and I went up to
the hills/mountains

I put the board in and the TV works perfectly.

Not only are there not many OTA tv signals here, but because of her
location, there are probably none. I used a piece of wire about 6"
long, which would be enough in a city. I'm looking for a longer piece,
but she wasn't upset that she'll have to buy cable. When she gets back
from Baltimroe in a month or two, she's going to do that.

Re: Ping Retirednoguilt Follow-up on TV repair, for friend who lives in the st icks

<eau66hd5se5ismcrkqs54iplu0j4ah8ko2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23702&group=alt.home.repair#23702

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 00:01:03 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 04:01 UTC

On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 06:17:20 +0300, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>Success.
>
>Retirednoguilt was kind enough to post
>Power supply on ebay shows a fuse in the photo :
>https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-40RV525U-Power-Supply-75013355-PK101V0830I-/263417775721?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c3#viTabs_0
>and that looks just like her power supply.
>
>I think there might have been one other for sale somewhere in the world,
>but this one was in Baltimore**.
>
>As I mentioned maybe 8 or 9 weeks ago, even though I'm in Greece, the
>ebay product above was for sale in Baltimore, where I'm from, and where
>my friend in the sticks used to live until 3 years ago.
>
>**And she had a 70-year-old girlfriend coming to visit the woman's kid
>and grandkids, and visit my friend too.
>
>So she asked her to pick up the board in person, to make sure she had it
>when she flew over. We met her in Athens, had a nice visit with
>everyone (I didn't know them before) and then my friend and I went up to
>the hills/mountains
>
>I put the board in and the TV works perfectly.
>
>Not only are there not many OTA tv signals here, but because of her
>location, there are probably none. I used a piece of wire about 6"
>long, which would be enough in a city. I'm looking for a longer piece,
>but she wasn't upset that she'll have to buy cable. When she gets back
>from Baltimroe in a month or two, she's going to do that.

I set up an elderly friend in a nursing home with one of these -
- with an extender - and it worked pretty good.
Just propped up on his window sill.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/electronics/71364-fractal-antenna?item=88K9730

John T.

Re: Ping Retirednoguilt Follow-up on TV repair, for friend who lives in the st icks

<ohc76hleqpr8pa6hpudoblsdqp3vt53phe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23715&group=alt.home.repair#23715

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:07:39 +0300
 by: micky - Sat, 23 Apr 2022 08:07 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 00:01:03 -0400,
hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 06:17:20 +0300, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Success.
>>
>>Retirednoguilt was kind enough to post
>>Power supply on ebay shows a fuse in the photo :
>>https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-40RV525U-Power-Supply-75013355-PK101V0830I-/263417775721?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c3#viTabs_0
>>and that looks just like her power supply.
>>
>>I think there might have been one other for sale somewhere in the world,
>>but this one was in Baltimore**.
>>
>>As I mentioned maybe 8 or 9 weeks ago, even though I'm in Greece, the
>>ebay product above was for sale in Baltimore, where I'm from, and where
>>my friend in the sticks used to live until 3 years ago.
>>
>>**And she had a 70-year-old girlfriend coming to visit the woman's kid
>>and grandkids, and visit my friend too.
>>
>>So she asked her to pick up the board in person, to make sure she had it
>>when she flew over. We met her in Athens, had a nice visit with
>>everyone (I didn't know them before) and then my friend and I went up to
>>the hills/mountains
>>
>>I put the board in and the TV works perfectly.
>>
>>Not only are there not many OTA tv signals here, but because of her
>>location, there are probably none. I used a piece of wire about 6"
>>long, which would be enough in a city. I'm looking for a longer piece,
>>but she wasn't upset that she'll have to buy cable. When she gets back
>>from Baltimroe in a month or two, she's going to do that.
>

>I set up an elderly friend in a nursing home with one of these -
> - with an extender - and it worked pretty good.
> Just propped up on his window sill.
>
>https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/electronics/71364-fractal-antenna?item=88K9730
>
> John T.

We asked her neighbor if there was over the air tv and he said, There
is, but no one uses it. I'm not sure if he was saying it was possible
where they live, but maybe I can find more people to ask, maybe one will
show me an antenna. Otherwise, I've done enough.

I don't know how much money she has.

She's back in the US now in order to sell the apartment she bought for
her son 15 years ago. He lived in it until the first kid was born and
she's been renting it. And she owned her own home until 2 years ago but
that was probably only worth 200,000. And I know moving here cost a
lot. She's renting, can't afford to buy, can't afford even to rent in
Athens I guess.

If I get anything at all with a plain wire, I'd be willing to buy her
what you suggest. I generally find something like this, wire, when I
look. If I find something, I'll go to her place while she's away and
see if it helps.

Re: Ping Retirednoguilt Follow-up on TV repair, for friend who lives in the st icks

<auae6htkhf962glc4a7ndb9ea5nveoatb6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23815&group=alt.home.repair#23815

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 02:18:10 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 23:18 UTC

hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Apr 2022 06:17:20 +0300, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Success.
>>
>>Retirednoguilt was kind enough to post
>>Power supply on ebay shows a fuse in the photo :
>>https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-40RV525U-Power-Supply-75013355-PK101V0830I-/263417775721?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c3#viTabs_0
>>and that looks just like her power supply.
>>
>>I think there might have been one other for sale somewhere in the world,
>>but this one was in Baltimore**.
>>
>>As I mentioned maybe 8 or 9 weeks ago, even though I'm in Greece, the
>>ebay product above was for sale in Baltimore, where I'm from, and where
>>my friend in the sticks used to live until 3 years ago.
>>
>>**And she had a 70-year-old girlfriend coming to visit the woman's kid
>>and grandkids, and visit my friend too.
>>
>>So she asked her to pick up the board in person, to make sure she had it
>>when she flew over. We met her in Athens, had a nice visit with
>>everyone (I didn't know them before) and then my friend and I went up to
>>the hills/mountains
>>
>>I put the board in and the TV works perfectly.
>>
>>Not only are there not many OTA tv signals here, but because of her
>>location, there are probably none. I used a piece of wire about 6"
>>long, which would be enough in a city. I'm looking for a longer piece,
>>but she wasn't upset that she'll have to buy cable. When she gets back
>>from Baltimroe in a month or two, she's going to do that.
>

>I set up an elderly friend in a nursing home with one of these -
> - with an extender - and it worked pretty good.
> Just propped up on his window sill.
>
>https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/electronics/71364-fractal-antenna?item=88K9730

I talked to someone whose parents live not too far away (although my
friend lives higher in the hills, farther from any signal), and he
thought there was an OTA signal, but then he had doubts that they might
have changed it. He said he'd check for me

> John T.

Re: Ping Retirednoguilt Follow-up on TV repair, for friend who lives in the st icks

<bbce6hldilppjk4c91rko50au1v2vrtq52@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23817&group=alt.home.repair#23817

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:00:12 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 00:00 UTC

< snips >

>>>Not only are there not many OTA tv signals here, but because of her
>>>location, there are probably none. I used a piece of wire about 6"
>>>long, which would be enough in a city. I'm looking for a longer piece,
>>>but she wasn't upset that she'll have to buy cable. When she gets back
>>>from Baltimroe in a month or two, she's going to do that.
>>

>>I set up an elderly friend in a nursing home with one of these -
>> - with an extender - and it worked pretty good.
>> Just propped up on his window sill.
>>https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/electronics/71364-fractal-antenna?item=88K9730
>> John T.
>
>I talked to someone whose parents live not too far away (although my
>friend lives higher in the hills, farther from any signal), and he
>thought there was an OTA signal, but then he had doubts that they might
>have changed it. He said he'd check for me

My elderly friend was in an urban care home
in southern Ontario < Brantford >
where OTA was certainly available - in ~ 2016 ish.
... OTA might have gone Dodo since then ..
He would get 3 channels but needed to slightly rotate/reposition
the antenna for best signal.
Even though he only lived a year or so in there - I think he
appreciated the ball games & hockey games & news.
The home's cable rates were stupid-high and the TV in the
shared lounge area was always NFG ..
Good luck.
John T.

Re: Ping Retirednoguilt Follow-up on TV repair, for friend who lives in the st icks

<7d6h6h5rlf6pi7id9n1njc6odm95fjc8d0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=23889&group=alt.home.repair#23889

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 21:24:44 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 01:24 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:00:12 -0400, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

> < snips >

>>>I set up an elderly friend in a nursing home with one of these -
>>> - with an extender - and it worked pretty good.
>>> Just propped up on his window sill.
>>>https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/electronics/71364-fractal-antenna?item=88K9730
>>> John T.
>>
>>I talked to someone whose parents live not too far away (although my
>>friend lives higher in the hills, farther from any signal), and he
>>thought there was an OTA signal, but then he had doubts that they might
>>have changed it. He said he'd check for me
>>

>My elderly friend was in an urban care home
> in southern Ontario < Brantford >
>where OTA was certainly available - in ~ 2016 ish.
> ... OTA might have gone Dodo since then ..
>He would get 3 channels but needed to slightly rotate/reposition
> the antenna for best signal.
>Even though he only lived a year or so in there - I think he
>appreciated the ball games & hockey games & news.
> The home's cable rates were stupid-high and the TV in the
>shared lounge area was always NFG ..
> Good luck.
> John T.
Here in kitchener if you have a digital compatible tuner (atsc) on
the TV you can get 2 or 3 ITA stations - mabee a few more with a
rotator on a digital specific antenna

In KW, TVO, Global, and CTV are local and can be picked up by any old
piece of wire. The local VHF channels (Global and CTV) are so strong
it doesn’t really matter whats used. Stations from Toronto (CBC,
french CBC, CityTV, Omni 1 and 2) are UHF, so in KW, you can get most
of the channels via a UHF only antenna pointed at Toronto. Depending
on how high your house is, you may be able to get away with a small
antenna on a wall