Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 18:13:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: reposting of Bradley's Arnold ex 10 with key
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Tue, 15 Feb 2022 02:13 UTC

I don't remember if Patricio saw the Latin for this or not. Up til this point he was getting all of the exercise correct.

bt

compare number of Englishy tokens and their order with the key.

*ex10

1. Those¹ who were in agreement with you yesterday, today entirely disagree (with you).
Who yesterday withyou theywereagreeing they today all disagree

2. Both you and I despise one who¹ would rather be a slave with² riches than free with poverty.
Who toserve prefers with riches [rather] than with poverty free tobe, him and I and you (equally) wedespise.

3. We know that he, concerning whom you have told us this story, expects to attain to the highest offices, the greatest distinctions; but³ I hope that he will never obtain them, for I know the man.
Weknow him about whom thesethings allthings tous youtold, to thehighest himself magistracies, thegreatest to thehonors, goingtoattain tobe toexpect; thewhich Iindeed him never goingtoget; theman yousee Iknow

4. I who⁴ repeatedly opposed you in your youth, will gladly come to your assistance in your old age and helplessness.
Iwho totheyoung toyou mostoften opposed Iam [I have], Ihe totheold toyou andalsoas tothehelplessone willing[ly] Iwillhelp

5. I sent you the best and bravest foot-soldiers that I had with me; and having promised⁵ to send them back, you reluctantly kept your word.
Theinfantrymen whom thebestones andthebravestones Ihad to you Isent, whom you when goingtosendback you promised were [had] unwilling[ly] faith youfulfilled

6. He ordered those standing by (him) to follow him; but they were dismayed by the shouts of those who were coming to meet (him). They first halted, and then suddenly scattered and fled in different directions.
Thosewho werestandingby [him] himself tofollow heordered; they soothly intheway ofthosecoming[against] bytheshouting veryfrightened, atfirst theystopped, next (or then) suddenly scattered they are [were] and splittingup theyfled

7. The woman for whom you were seeking is present; I will therefore³ hear and dismiss her.
Whom youwereseeking ishere thewoman; whom I havingheard Iwilldismiss

8. The best institutions and laws you have set at nought, and this⁶ will be your ruin today.
Thebestones you theinstitutions and thelaws youhavecontemned; which thing today toyou fordestruction willbe

9. The things⁴ which I treated lightly in my boyhood, I value highly in my old age.
Whichthings [as] aboy oflittle[import] Itreated, thosethings [as] anoldman ofgreatest[import] Iesteem

10. I who⁷ was the last to come to your assistance on that occasion, will be the first to join you tomorrow.
Iwho foryou then thelastone Ihelped, Ihe tomorrow thefirst me toyou (or to you) Iwilljoinwith

¹ Place the relative clause first, and use it in the main sentence. Sometimes the force of the demonstrative in 'is quī,' and similar combinations, hic quī, etc., is emphasised by placing the relative clause first, and the demonstrative pronoun with the main sentence afterwards.
Quī tum tē dēfendit, is hodiē accūsat.
He who (the very man who) then defended you is today accusing you.
Your former advocate is your present accuser.
This construction is always to be used where a strong contrast is dwelt on.

² (b) But when English “with” means “together or in company with” the
preposition cum must be used with the ablative.
Cum tēlō vēnit. He came with a weapon.
Cum Caesare hoc fēcī. I did this with Caesar.
Note—Cum is written after, and as one word with, the ablatives of the personal
and reflexive pronouns (mēcum, tēcum, sēcum, nōbīscum, vōbīscum), and
sometimes after the relative, as quibuscum.
³ A relative clause is often used where English prefers a coordinate sentence. (See Intr. 50.)
Dīvitiās optat, quās adeptūrus est numquam.
He is praying for riches, but will never obtain them.
⁴ See ¹
⁵ As compared with English, Latin is deficient in participles; and in
writing Latin prose it is essential to keep clearly in mind the following facts:
(a) The Latin past (i.e. perfect) participle is passive and not active (except when derived from a deponent verb: see Intr. 31) amātus means “having been loved,” not “having loved.”
(b) The present and future participles are always active.
The lack of a past (i.e. perfect) participle active is especially troublesome when turning English into Latin; but there are two common ways in which the difficulty can be surmounted.
⁶ Sometimes a relative clause refers not to a single word, but to the whole statement made by the main sentence. When this is the case, the main sentence is summed up in an appositional id (or rēs), to which the quod (or quae) of the subordinate clause refers.
Tīmoleōn, id quod difficilius putātur, sapientius tulit secundam quam adversam fortūnam.
Timoleon, though this (lit. a thing which) is thought the more difficult (task), bore prosperity more wisely than adversity.
⁷ See ¹

key 10

1. Qui heri tecum consentiebant, ii hodie toti dissentiunt.
2. Qui servire mavult cum divitiis quam cum paupertate liber esse, eum et ego et tu (pariter) despicimus.
3. Scimus eum de quo haec omnia nobis narravisti ad summos se magistratūs, maximos ad honores, perventurum esse exspectare; quos equidem illum numquam adepturum spero; hominem enim novi.
4. Qui iuveni tibi saepissime adversatus sum, is seni tibi atque inopi libens subveniam.
5. Pedites quos optimos fortissimosque habui ad te misi, quos tu cum remissurum te pollicitus esses invitus fidem praestitisti.
6. Qui adstabant se sequi iussit; illi vero obviam venientium clamore perterriti, primum constitēre, deinde (or tum) subito dissipati sunt ac diversi fugēre.
7. Quam petebas adest mulier; quam ego auditam dimittam.
8. Optima tu instituta atque leges contempsisti, quae res hodie tibi exitio erit.
9. Quae puer parvi faciebam, ea senex maximi aestimo.
10. Qui tibi tum ultimus subveni, is cras primus me tibi (or ad te) adiungam.