Good night, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift

SubjectAuthor
* Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Giftjmcquown
+* Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a GiftEd Pawlowski
|`- Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Giftjmcquown
`* Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a GiftCindy Hamilton
 +- Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a GiftGary
 `* Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a GiftGraham
  `* Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Giftjmcquown
   `- Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a GiftGraham

1
Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift

<to2tmh$1fo3d$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241073&group=rec.food.cooking#241073

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 19:45:01 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 00:45 UTC

The guys who work across the hall from us at the home inpection company
picked up some fried chicken that is cooked at a nearby gas station and
bought extra to share. This is some really good fried chicken! It's
injected with a hot sauce mixture but it's not overly spicy. Very crisp
on the outside, very tender and juicy inside. Delicious! I had a
drumstick and a thigh for lunch. Nope, no sides; they didn't buy any
sides and none were necessary.

When I got to the office this morning, the man I work for gave me a gift
of an assortment of white wines from different wineries/varietals.
There are some different chardonnays, pino grigios, a reisling. He
said it's not really about Christmas, it's to say "thank you" for all my
help in keeping the office running smoothly. How nice!

I stopped at Publix after work to pick up a few things to go along with
"Christmas" standing rib roast. I'm planning on making brussels sprouts
gratin to go along with it.

Happy Holidays, folks!

Jill

Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift

<rb8pL.89971$iU59.38384@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241089&group=rec.food.cooking#241089

Subject: Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 21:15:50 -0500
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 02:15 UTC

On 12/22/2022 7:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> The guys who work across the hall from us at the home inpection company
> picked up some fried chicken that is cooked at a nearby gas station and
> bought extra to share.  This is some really good fried chicken!  It's
> injected with a hot sauce mixture but it's not overly spicy.  Very crisp
> on the outside, very tender and juicy inside.  Delicious!  I had a
> drumstick and a thigh for lunch.  Nope, no sides; they didn't buy any
> sides and none were necessary.
>
> When I got to the office this morning, the man I work for gave me a gift
> of an assortment of white wines from different wineries/varietals. There
> are some different chardonnays,  pino grigios, a reisling.  He said it's
> not really about Christmas, it's to say "thank you" for all my help in
> keeping the office running smoothly.  How nice!
>
> I stopped at Publix after work to pick up a few things to go along with
> "Christmas" standing rib roast.  I'm planning on making brussels sprouts
> gratin to go along with it.
>
> Happy Holidays, folks!
>
> Jill

Nothing says love like chicken from the gas station! Some great food
comes from places you'd never expect.

Sounds like you had a good day.

Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift

<_SepL.332061$GNG9.13918@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241123&group=rec.food.cooking#241123

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: hamil...@invalid.com (Cindy Hamilton)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:51:54 GMT
 by: Cindy Hamilton - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:51 UTC

On 2022-12-23, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
> The guys who work across the hall from us at the home inpection company
> picked up some fried chicken that is cooked at a nearby gas station and
> bought extra to share. This is some really good fried chicken! It's
> injected with a hot sauce mixture but it's not overly spicy. Very crisp
> on the outside, very tender and juicy inside. Delicious! I had a
> drumstick and a thigh for lunch. Nope, no sides; they didn't buy any
> sides and none were necessary.

Nice. My lunch yesterday was a pint of dal tadka, a little rice,
and a piece of naan.

> I stopped at Publix after work to pick up a few things to go along with
> "Christmas" standing rib roast. I'm planning on making brussels sprouts
> gratin to go along with it.

I don't know what's for Christmas dinner. We're all about the breakfast
casserole on Christmas; other meals don't really matter. I'll see if
DH wants anything special.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift

<to48ck$1nejp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241134&group=rec.food.cooking#241134

From: g.maj...@att.net (Gary)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 07:53:40 -0500
 by: Gary - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 12:53 UTC

On 12/23/2022 4:51 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-23, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>> The guys who work across the hall from us at the home inpection company
>> picked up some fried chicken that is cooked at a nearby gas station and
>> bought extra to share. This is some really good fried chicken! It's
>> injected with a hot sauce mixture but it's not overly spicy. Very crisp
>> on the outside, very tender and juicy inside. Delicious! I had a
>> drumstick and a thigh for lunch. Nope, no sides; they didn't buy any
>> sides and none were necessary.
>
> Nice. My lunch yesterday was a pint of dal tadka, a little rice,
> and a piece of naan.
>
>> I stopped at Publix after work to pick up a few things to go along with
>> "Christmas" standing rib roast. I'm planning on making brussels sprouts
>> gratin to go along with it.
>
> I don't know what's for Christmas dinner. We're all about the breakfast
> casserole on Christmas; other meals don't really matter. I'll see if
> DH wants anything special.

Nothing special this year. My daughter, husband, and the two children
all came down with Covid sometime last week. They are slowly recovering
but she canceled her trip here (for today actually).

I walked to 7-11 this morning for weekend beer and I bought one of their
pizzas. Decent pizza - better than frozen from the grocery store. This
time I bought a cheese pizza. I'll cook that for lunch tomorrow
(Christmas Eve).

They also sell a "breakfast pizza." I've never tried that one but it
might have been nice for a Christmas morning choice.

Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift

<to4bil$1ned1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241139&group=rec.food.cooking#241139

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 08:48:00 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 13:48 UTC

On 12/22/2022 9:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 12/22/2022 7:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> The guys who work across the hall from us at the home inpection
>> company picked up some fried chicken that is cooked at a nearby gas
>> station and bought extra to share.  This is some really good fried
>> chicken!  It's injected with a hot sauce mixture but it's not overly
>> spicy.  Very crisp on the outside, very tender and juicy inside.
>> Delicious!  I had a drumstick and a thigh for lunch.  Nope, no sides;
>> they didn't buy any sides and none were necessary.
>>
>> When I got to the office this morning, the man I work for gave me a
>> gift of an assortment of white wines from different
>> wineries/varietals. There are some different chardonnays,  pino
>> grigios, a reisling.  He said it's not really about Christmas, it's to
>> say "thank you" for all my help in keeping the office running
>> smoothly.  How nice!
>>
>> I stopped at Publix after work to pick up a few things to go along
>> with "Christmas" standing rib roast.  I'm planning on making brussels
>> sprouts gratin to go along with it.
>>
>> Happy Holidays, folks!
>>
>> Jill
>

> Nothing says love like chicken from the gas station!  Some great food
> comes from places you'd never expect.
>
> Sounds like you had  a good day.

Isn't a gas station where Harlan Sanders got his start with making and
selling his fried chicken?

When I lived in Cordova there was a little convenience store down the
street (McLemore's). They served hot breakfast and lunch. There were a
couple of little booths near the front, although most people got their
meals to go. They made the best biscuits & sausage gravy! And yes,
very good fried chicken. The "potato logs" were also very good. Potato
logs are large russets cut into quarters lengthwise, battered and deep
fried. They sold vegetable sides, too. Very good turnip greens. :)

I truly enjoy my work. :) There was some wonky stuff going on with some
of the delimited text files I created using a conversion program for the
November billing for a particular ad program. The various radio
stations send us raw data files. I converted the files on 12/5, put the
$$ on them as usual and let the Accounts Team know they were done that
same day. Got approval to upload them through the portal a couple of
days later. (This is the final step in the billing process.) We were
notified of a problem yesterday and my boss had me look into it. The
first thing that jumped out at me was the header doesn't say AT&T it
says Pepsico! And look at the dates on the files - 12/6. At some point
on 12/6, someone or something changed six of those files so that they
appeared to be for a different ad program. We spent several hours
trying to figure out who/what changed those files and we're still
scratching our heads. Of course I fixed the problem and uploaded the
corrected files but we have no idea how that happened. But yes, it was
a good day. :)

Jill

Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift

<qekpL.18727$b7Kc.218@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241166&group=rec.food.cooking#241166

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 08:58:13 -0700
 by: Graham - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 15:58 UTC

On 2022-12-23 2:51 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-23, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>> The guys who work across the hall from us at the home inpection company
>> picked up some fried chicken that is cooked at a nearby gas station and
>> bought extra to share. This is some really good fried chicken! It's
>> injected with a hot sauce mixture but it's not overly spicy. Very crisp
>> on the outside, very tender and juicy inside. Delicious! I had a
>> drumstick and a thigh for lunch. Nope, no sides; they didn't buy any
>> sides and none were necessary.
>
> Nice. My lunch yesterday was a pint of dal tadka, a little rice,
> and a piece of naan.
>
>> I stopped at Publix after work to pick up a few things to go along with
>> "Christmas" standing rib roast. I'm planning on making brussels sprouts
>> gratin to go along with it.
>
> I don't know what's for Christmas dinner. We're all about the breakfast
> casserole on Christmas; other meals don't really matter. I'll see if
> DH wants anything special.

Xmas day cancelled for me as D-I-L has just contracted covid. I'll still
make the seafood lasagne and leave it on the front porch.
I don't yet know if the xmas eve party at her parents' place has been
affected.

Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift

<to4kgq$1ned1$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241174&group=rec.food.cooking#241174

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 11:20:37 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 16:20 UTC

On 12/23/2022 10:58 AM, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-12-23 2:51 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-12-23, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> The guys who work across the hall from us at the home inpection company
>>> picked up some fried chicken that is cooked at a nearby gas station and
>>> bought extra to share.  This is some really good fried chicken!  It's
>>> injected with a hot sauce mixture but it's not overly spicy.  Very crisp
>>> on the outside, very tender and juicy inside.  Delicious!  I had a
>>> drumstick and a thigh for lunch.  Nope, no sides; they didn't buy any
>>> sides and none were necessary.
>>
>> Nice.  My lunch yesterday was a pint of dal tadka, a little rice,
>> and a piece of naan.
>>
>>> I stopped at Publix after work to pick up a few things to go along with
>>> "Christmas" standing rib roast.  I'm planning on making brussels sprouts
>>> gratin to go along with it.
>>
>> I don't know what's for Christmas dinner.  We're all about the breakfast
>> casserole on Christmas; other meals don't really matter.  I'll see if
>> DH wants anything special.
>>
> Xmas day cancelled for me as D-I-L has just contracted covid. I'll still
> make the seafood lasagne and leave it on the front porch.
> I don't yet know if the xmas eve party at her parents' place has been
> affected.

I'm sorry to hear that, Graham. Your seafood lasagna recipe is
excellent. Covid, the "gift" that keeps screwing everything up.

Jill

Re: Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift

<OCkpL.14367$Ldj8.520@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=241175&group=rec.food.cooking#241175

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:24:13 -0700
 by: Graham - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 16:24 UTC

On 2022-12-23 9:20 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/23/2022 10:58 AM, Graham wrote:
>>>
>>> Nice.  My lunch yesterday was a pint of dal tadka, a little rice,
>>> and a piece of naan.

>>> I don't know what's for Christmas dinner.  We're all about the breakfast
>>> casserole on Christmas; other meals don't really matter.  I'll see if
>>> DH wants anything special.
>>>
>> Xmas day cancelled for me as D-I-L has just contracted covid. I'll
>> still make the seafood lasagne and leave it on the front porch.
>> I don't yet know if the xmas eve party at her parents' place has been
>> affected.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that, Graham.  Your seafood lasagna recipe is
> excellent.  Covid, the "gift" that keeps screwing everything up.
>
> Jill
I made and froze it for my BC family for when I visited them last week.
I've managed to avoid covid so far. the jab and 4 boosters plus mask
wearing has probably helped.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Lunch Today 12/22/22 and a Gift