I don't wish to appear overly inquisitive, but are you still alive?

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: I need sink strainer installation help

SubjectAuthor
* I need sink strainer installation helpT
+* I need sink strainer installation helpDean Hoffman
|`* I need sink strainer installation helpThomas
| +- I need sink strainer installation helpThomas
| `* I need sink strainer installation helpMarilyn Manson
|  `* I need sink strainer installation helpScott Lurndal
|   `* I need sink strainer installation helpMarilyn Manson
|    +* I need sink strainer installation helpThomas
|    |`* I need sink strainer installation helpThomas
|    | `* I need sink strainer installation helpMarilyn Manson
|    |  +- I need sink strainer installation helpThomas
|    |  `* I need sink strainer installation helptrader_4
|    |   `* I need sink strainer installation helpMarilyn Manson
|    |    `* I need sink strainer installation helptrader_4
|    |     `- I need sink strainer installation helpThomas
|    `* I need sink strainer installation helpXeno
|     `* I need sink strainer installation helpMarilyn Manson
|      `* I need sink strainer installation helpThomas
|       `* I need sink strainer installation helpMarilyn Manson
|        +* I need sink strainer installation helpThomas
|        |`- I need sink strainer installation helpMarilyn Manson
|        `* I need sink strainer installation helpBob F
|         `* I need sink strainer installation helpT
|          `- I need sink strainer installation helpMarilyn Manson
`* I need sink strainer installation helpXeno
 `* I need sink strainer installation helpT
  `- I need sink strainer installation helpMarilyn Manson

Pages:12
Re: I need sink strainer installation help

<t4isu3$oi2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24115&group=alt.home.repair#24115

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: I need sink strainer installation help
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 01:44:51 -0700
<t4icf1$bqo$2@dont-email.me>
 by: T - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 08:44 UTC

On 4/29/22 21:04, Bob F wrote:
> On 4/29/2022 2:06 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:

>> Maybe you didn't catch my drift, but I was defending you. Maybe you
>> missed the post
>> where I even said "Maybe I'll try the Moen gasket style at some point."
>>
>> However, as long you commented, I'll respond.
>>
>>> They require putty because it is cheeper to not use a top gasket. My
>>> new belief at least.
>>
>> Wait... didn't you say the opposite in your first response?
>>
>> "Moen makes them that way and a heck of a lot cheaper."
>>
>> AFAIK it's been putty of some type since the dawn of plumbing. Not
>> because it's cheaper but
>> because it works.
>>
>>> You cannot use putty on the bottom only due to rotation of the nut.
>>> If the top rotated
>>> as much as the bottom, putty would not be sold.
>>
>> While I never suggested using putty on the bottom, I do not agree with
>> your "putty would
>> not be sold comment".
>>
>> The top absolutely does rotate. Just "Ask This Old House"
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDWxn4kHzwY&t=260s
>>
>> If you ever installed a garbage disposal and wanted the text on the
>> drain to face forward,
>> you'd know that they do in fact rotate.
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/uJmqF0J.jpg
>>
>>> If you did not see my error of offset you might think other.
>>
>> My comment related to the "error" was not a comment against the use of
>> a gasket. It was
>> that you created a lip that will catch debris on one side and may not
>> have fully sealed the
>> other side. That's why I said you got lucky.
>>
>> In addition, it appears from the image that you posted that part of
>> the drain is not fully seated
>> on the sink. It *can't* be because it is being held up by the gasket.
>> That's another reason why I
>> think you got lucky.
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/HDXw5pD.jpg
>>
>> I've basically got nothing against the Moen gasket. Like I said, I may
>> even try it sometime. However,
>> I've also got no reason to change since I know that putty works and is
>> still the recommended method
>> for the types of drains that I've installed.
>
> I have never in my 72 years needed to do repairs because of failed putty
> in this situation. The stuff has worked as long as I've lived.

Is your sinks stainless steel? Mine flexes under pressure.
I presume that its the reason.

Re: I need sink strainer installation help

<9458a507-0d98-483e-9fbd-9d79304b91ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24122&group=alt.home.repair#24122

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 06:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 13:05 UTC

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 4:44:57 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
> On 4/29/22 21:04, Bob F wrote:

> >> Maybe you didn't catch my drift, but I was defending you. Maybe you
> >> missed the post
> >> where I even said "Maybe I'll try the Moen gasket style at some point."
> >>
> >> However, as long you commented, I'll respond.

> >> Wait... didn't you say the opposite in your first response?
> >>
> >> "Moen makes them that way and a heck of a lot cheaper."
> >>
> >> AFAIK it's been putty of some type since the dawn of plumbing. Not
> >> because it's cheaper but
> >> because it works.

> >> While I never suggested using putty on the bottom, I do not agree with
> >> your "putty would
> >> not be sold comment".
> >>
> >> The top absolutely does rotate. Just "Ask This Old House"
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDWxn4kHzwY&t=260s
> >>
> >> If you ever installed a garbage disposal and wanted the text on the
> >> drain to face forward,
> >> you'd know that they do in fact rotate.
> >>
> >> https://i.imgur.com/uJmqF0J.jpg

> >> My comment related to the "error" was not a comment against the use of
> >> a gasket. It was
> >> that you created a lip that will catch debris on one side and may not
> >> have fully sealed the
> >> other side. That's why I said you got lucky.
> >>
> >> In addition, it appears from the image that you posted that part of
> >> the drain is not fully seated
> >> on the sink. It *can't* be because it is being held up by the gasket.
> >> That's another reason why I
> >> think you got lucky.
> >>
> >> https://i.imgur.com/HDXw5pD.jpg
> >>
> >> I've basically got nothing against the Moen gasket. Like I said, I may
> >> even try it sometime. However,
> >> I've also got no reason to change since I know that putty works and is
> >> still the recommended method
> >> for the types of drains that I've installed.
> >
> > I have never in my 72 years needed to do repairs because of failed putty
> > in this situation. The stuff has worked as long as I've lived.
> >

> Is your sinks stainless steel? Mine flexes under pressure.
> I presume that its the reason.

Stainless steel, in and of itself, is not reason, the thickness is what
matters.

SS sinks are available in various thicknesses from low end 22g to
commercial quality 14g.

16g to 18g is recommended for a typical home kitchen sink. Either
one of those can handle a garbage disposal without vibrating and can
support a heavy, high quality faucet.