The herd instinct among economists makes sheep look like independent thinkers.

interests / alt.home.repair / Our of Stock: Supply chain crisis

SubjectAuthor
* Our of Stock: Supply chain crisisEd Pawlowski
`* Our of Stock: Supply chain crisisrbowman
 `- corporate/gov't control, was: Our of Stock: Supply chain crisisdanny burstein

1
Our of Stock: Supply chain crisis

<wPybK.379462$Gojc.265459@fx99.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24179&group=alt.home.repair#24179

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Subject: Our of Stock: Supply chain crisis
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:46:20 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:46 UTC

Frank brought this up this morning. I'm only 20 minutes into it and
they give a very good explanation of how interdependent we are around
the world. Worth watching

Available on many sources

https://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/out-of-stock-supply-chain-crisis/episodes-season-1/1060101781/

Re: Our of Stock: Supply chain crisis

<jd8vqkFj5brU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24195&group=alt.home.repair#24195

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Our of Stock: Supply chain crisis
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 21:00:39 -0600
 by: rbowman - Mon, 2 May 2022 03:00 UTC

On 05/01/2022 10:46 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Frank brought this up this morning. I'm only 20 minutes into it and
> they give a very good explanation of how interdependent we are around
> the world. Worth watching
>
> Available on many sources
>
> https://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/out-of-stock-supply-chain-crisis/episodes-season-1/1060101781/

Yup. And our masters brought it all upon us -- I'm sure as hell am not
going to say 'we'.

The cat is concerned about the shortage of wet cat food. Supposedly one
of the factors is problems obtaining aluminum to make the cans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aluminium_smelters

It doesn't differentiate between primary and secondary smelters. The
page doesn't even list Kaiser's Mead smelter. I used to haul recycled
cans in there from as far away as LA.

Smelting aluminum requires a lot of electricity and the Mead smelter
near Spokane was positioned to use the abundant supply from Bonneville
Power.

Then came energy deregulation which promised to reduce electricity
costs. It did not, in spades.

https://montana-aluminum.com/

The takeaway paragraph?

"When the dust settled from the profit-sharing case, another white
knight appeared at the plant gates – Glencore, one of the largest
commodities-trading companies in the world, bought the Columbia Falls
smelter in May 1999. The aluminum plant had at least one good full year
of production under Swiss ownership before it was taken down by a power
market deregulation scheme that resulted in power prices increasing by
2,000% or more. In the end, the plant joined eight other Pacific
Northwest aluminum smelters that never recovered from the West Coast
Energy Crisis"

It was so bad the local pulp mill brought in diesel generators to roll
their own. That lasted for a while but now the former mill is yet
another potential Superfund site:

http://www.choteauacantha.com/article_bc32018a-32be-11e8-8b4d-bf52d20e36ac.html

(the photo is not accurate. Some, but not all of the structures have
been demolished. It doesn't show well but watercourse in the upper right
hand corner behind the settling ponds is the Clark Fork of the Columbia)

Luckily China was able to supply cheap aluminum -- until they weren't.

Were it applicable I don't think it would be a stretch to describe the
corporate decisions of the last 40 years as treason. However in the
Globohomo world corporations owe no allegiance to the country hosting them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sovereign_State

I read that shortly after it came out and it has proven to be quite
accurate. As an early example of corporate activism ITT helped finance
the overthrow of Allende in Chile

https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/document/cia-rdp09t00207r001000030100-1

You can't make this shit up. when I read the latest breathless report
about Zelensky, my response is "I'm suddenly supposed to believe people
who have been lying throughout my entire lifetime?"

corporate/gov't control, was: Our of Stock: Supply chain crisis

<t4nhnr$ieq$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24196&group=alt.home.repair#24196

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: corporate/gov't control, was: Our of Stock: Supply chain crisis
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 03:04:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Mon, 2 May 2022 03:04 UTC

In <jd8vqkFj5brU1@mid.individual.net> rbowman <bowman@montana.com> writes:

[snip]

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sovereign_State

>I read that shortly after it came out and it has proven to be quite
>accurate. As an early example of corporate activism ITT helped finance
>the overthrow of Allende in Chile

>https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/document/cia-rdp09t00207r001000030100-1

That whole "Freedom Trucker Convoy" that we had in the US
(and also Canada) reminds one, it does, of how the CIA used
_exactly_ that tactic, namely coopting the truckers, in
their program to destabilize Chile...

dannyb@panix.com