From: Wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: OT: Craigslist Nonsense
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 09:06:58 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Sat, 7 May 2022 13:06 UTC

I've been doing some "Spring Cleaning" of stuff I don't need/use any
more and posted several items for sale on the local Craigslist. Good
pictures, accurate and descriptive copy and priced right. Responses
start to come in within the first hours after posting and the first guy
(who I meet in front of the busy supermarket in a nearby shopping
center) usually takes it.

But there's a core of folks- or bots- out there that respond with vague,
generic emails- "Hey, I want to buy it, do you still have it?" If you
reply, they either don't respond back or they give you some half-assed
or string-along comments.

Some are clearly fishing for a phone number, home address or trying for
a rip-off setup on a cell phone or laptop sale...so I can understand
their motivation.

But others seem to just want to have an extended email exchange or set
up a meet which they cancel at the last minute then want to reschedule.

What's up with that? Is it the 21st century version of teenagers calling
the local drug store and asking if they have Prince Albert in a
can...and when are they going to let him out??

--
Before the crowbar was invented, crows simply drank at home

Re: OT: Craigslist Nonsense

<t567e5$im9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24470&group=alt.home.repair#24470

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: OT: Craigslist Nonsense
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 12:40:35 -0400
 by: Frank - Sat, 7 May 2022 16:40 UTC

On 5/7/2022 9:06 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
> I've been doing some "Spring Cleaning" of stuff I don't need/use any
> more and posted several items for sale on the local Craigslist. Good
> pictures, accurate and descriptive copy and priced right. Responses
> start to come in within the first hours after posting and the first guy
> (who I meet in front of the busy supermarket in a nearby shopping
> center) usually takes it.
>
> But there's a core of folks- or bots- out there that respond with vague,
> generic emails- "Hey, I want to buy it, do you still have it?" If you
> reply, they either don't respond back or they give you some half-assed
> or string-along comments.
>
> Some are clearly fishing for a phone number, home address or trying for
> a rip-off setup on a cell phone or laptop sale...so I can understand
> their motivation.
>
> But others seem to just want to have an extended email exchange or set
> up a meet which they cancel at the last minute then want to reschedule.
>
> What's up with that? Is it the 21st century version of teenagers calling
> the local drug store and asking if they have Prince Albert in a
> can...and when are they going to let him out??

I had heard of setting up free Google voice to get a phone number to use
for cases like this.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

I have never used Craig's list but did use Facebook where my name is out
there and sold several things out of the house with no problem.

Re: OT: Craigslist Nonsense

<2i9d7htr6vcjtl5cmbl6m6plbf7c85j4nm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24474&group=alt.home.repair#24474

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 13:11:42 -0400
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Sat, 7 May 2022 17:11 UTC

On Sat, 7 May 2022 12:40:35 -0400, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote:

>On 5/7/2022 9:06 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> I've been doing some "Spring Cleaning" of stuff I don't need/use any
>> more and posted several items for sale on the local Craigslist. Good
>> pictures, accurate and descriptive copy and priced right. Responses
>> start to come in within the first hours after posting and the first guy
>> (who I meet in front of the busy supermarket in a nearby shopping
>> center) usually takes it.
>>
>> But there's a core of folks- or bots- out there that respond with vague,
>> generic emails- "Hey, I want to buy it, do you still have it?" If you
>> reply, they either don't respond back or they give you some half-assed
>> or string-along comments.
>>
>> Some are clearly fishing for a phone number, home address or trying for
>> a rip-off setup on a cell phone or laptop sale...so I can understand
>> their motivation.
>>
>> But others seem to just want to have an extended email exchange or set
>> up a meet which they cancel at the last minute then want to reschedule.
>>
>> What's up with that? Is it the 21st century version of teenagers calling
>> the local drug store and asking if they have Prince Albert in a
>> can...and when are they going to let him out??
>>

>I had heard of setting up free Google voice to get a phone number to use
>for cases like this.
>
>https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop
>
>I have never used Craig's list but did use Facebook where my name is out
>there and sold several things out of the house with no problem.

I've bought and sold a few things on Kijiji < our Craigslist >
and on facebook's local Buy & Sell - mixed results - but there
seems to always be one or two questionable replies ...
I usually reply once - just in case my first impression is wrong -
- giving them one chance to express true interest and
communicate accordingly - then ignore them if I get more nonsense.
Sometimes I suspect it's someone who doesn't speak English.
John T.

Re: OT: Craigslist Nonsense

<op.1ltc7tdmc5duzs@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24482&group=alt.home.repair#24482

From: kdj...@gmail.com (Jock)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 05:46:31 +1000
 by: Jock - Sat, 7 May 2022 19:46 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 02:40:35 +1000, Frank <"frank "@frank.net> wrote:

> On 5/7/2022 9:06 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> I've been doing some "Spring Cleaning" of stuff I don't need/use any
>> more and posted several items for sale on the local Craigslist. Good
>> pictures, accurate and descriptive copy and priced right. Responses
>> start to come in within the first hours after posting and the first guy
>> (who I meet in front of the busy supermarket in a nearby shopping
>> center) usually takes it.
>> But there's a core of folks- or bots- out there that respond with
>> vague, generic emails- "Hey, I want to buy it, do you still have it?"
>> If you reply, they either don't respond back or they give you some
>> half-assed or string-along comments.
>> Some are clearly fishing for a phone number, home address or trying
>> for a rip-off setup on a cell phone or laptop sale...so I can
>> understand their motivation.
>> But others seem to just want to have an extended email exchange or set
>> up a meet which they cancel at the last minute then want to reschedule.
>> What's up with that? Is it the 21st century version of teenagers
>> calling the local drug store and asking if they have Prince Albert in a
>> can...and when are they going to let him out??
>>

> I had heard of setting up free Google voice to get a phone number to use
> for cases like this.
>
> https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop
>
> I have never used Craig's list but did use Facebook where my name is out
> there and sold several things out of the house with no problem.

Yeah, facebook works much better.