For gin, in cruel Sober truth, Supplies the fuel For flaming youth. -- Noel Coward

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Wiring

SubjectAuthor
* Wiringphilo
+- Wiringrbowman
+* WiringJim Joyce
|+- Wiringmicky
|`* Wiringphilo
| `* WiringEd Pawlowski
|  +- WiringClare Snyder
|  `- Wiringphilo
`* Wiringmicky
 +- Wiringphilo
 `* WiringEd Pawlowski
  +* Wiringmicky
  |`* Wiringphilo
  | `* Wiringmicky
  |  `- Wiringphilo
  +* WiringMarilyn Manson
  |`- WiringEd Pawlowski
  `- WiringJim Joyce

1
Wiring

<t5hgah$omp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24587&group=alt.home.repair#24587

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Wiring
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 18:19:43 -0500
 by: philo - Wed, 11 May 2022 23:19 UTC

A friend just bought his first house. He had an electrician come in to
quote some upgrades, One was two replace two, non working baseboard heaters.

I told him to let me check it first as since both heaters were on the
same breaker, I thought it unlikely both would be bad. He was kind of
surprised when it only took me a few minutes to fix them. There was one
wire in the breaker that was not even tightened !

I have seen this before where an apprentice electrician was working.
I'm not sure how someone can be so careless.

Just wondering if anyone here has seen this?

OTOH: I'm not perfect and once had to re-do a wire nut.

Re: Wiring

<je3c0nFk7vtU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24592&group=alt.home.repair#24592

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Wiring
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 21:08:08 -0600
 by: rbowman - Thu, 12 May 2022 03:08 UTC

On 05/11/2022 05:19 PM, philo wrote:
> A friend just bought his first house. He had an electrician come in to
> quote some upgrades, One was two replace two, non working baseboard
> heaters.
>
> I told him to let me check it first as since both heaters were on the
> same breaker, I thought it unlikely both would be bad. He was kind of
> surprised when it only took me a few minutes to fix them. There was one
> wire in the breaker that was not even tightened !
>
> I have seen this before where an apprentice electrician was working. I'm
> not sure how someone can be so careless.
>

> Just wondering if anyone here has seen this?
>

> OTOH: I'm not perfect and once had to re-do a wire nut.

You're not the Lone Ranger. Wire nuts a fine if used correctly; usually
they aren't.

Re: Wiring

<055p7h5r2tf81pgn8iab7dueoafcs3fa8o@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24593&group=alt.home.repair#24593

From: non...@none.invalid (Jim Joyce)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 00:09:52 -0500
 by: Jim Joyce - Thu, 12 May 2022 05:09 UTC

On Wed, 11 May 2022 18:19:43 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>A friend just bought his first house. He had an electrician come in to
>quote some upgrades, One was two replace two, non working baseboard heaters.
>
>I told him to let me check it first as since both heaters were on the
>same breaker, I thought it unlikely both would be bad. He was kind of
>surprised when it only took me a few minutes to fix them. There was one
>wire in the breaker that was not even tightened !
>
>I have seen this before where an apprentice electrician was working.
>I'm not sure how someone can be so careless.
>

>Just wondering if anyone here has seen this?

I bought a newly built house in 2019 that came with a 1-year builder's
warranty. During that first year, I put in about 3 dozen warranty
claims, most of which were for electrical issues.

Most of the issues were a result of improperly stripping insulation
before tightening the screw down, especially on receptacles, so that the
screw was tightened on the insulation. That caused intermittent
connections and breakers that constantly tripped. The issues with the
light witches were mostly loose connections, which also caused breakers
to trip. I'm out of warranty now so I've corrected at least a half dozen
additional issues by myself. There are still a few issues, two loose
receptacles in the hallway near the front door and a loose receptacle in
the garage, but we've learned not to use those receptacles until I get
around to fixing them.

>OTOH: I'm not perfect and once had to re-do a wire nut.

Same.

Re: Wiring

<mf9p7h529t2ahsr48fb16cpga5g2f8tunp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24594&group=alt.home.repair#24594

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 09:26:35 +0300
 by: micky - Thu, 12 May 2022 06:26 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 11 May 2022 18:19:43 -0500, philo
<philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>A friend just bought his first house. He had an electrician come in to
>quote some upgrades, One was two replace two, non working baseboard heaters.
>
>I told him to let me check it first as since both heaters were on the
>same breaker, I thought it unlikely both would be bad. He was kind of
>surprised when it only took me a few minutes to fix them. There was one
>wire in the breaker that was not even tightened !
>
>I have seen this before where an apprentice electrician was working.
>I'm not sure how someone can be so careless.
>

>Just wondering if anyone here has seen this?
>

>OTOH: I'm not perfect and once had to re-do a wire nut.

I'haven't seen something tthis important, but there were 3 flaws in my
house, which was 4 years old and was owned by a single guy who either
didn't notice them or didn't mind.

The switches by the stairway, next to the down-pointing, had the
upstairs light switch closer to the stairs than the basement landing
switch. One could get used to that but I changed it.

The powder room switch was on the hinged side of the door. I think the
standard is to be on the latch side. I was in one of the other
townhouess and noticed it was the same. (I wish I'd paid more attention
when I've been in several other houses.) Too hard to change that.

3: Bingo: The switches at either end of the front door hall were wired
so the one farther from the door had to be on for the other to work. It
must meant reversing two wires, but I had to make a drawing to keep from
being confused.

The electician lived for 5 or 10 years in one of the townhouses** and I
saw him at a meeting. I thought number 3 above would be an interesting
piece of chitchat, but he didnt' like hearing it. Maybe I sounded to
serious or maybe he just didn't like having a flaw "he" made pointed
out. I'm sure he didn't do all the work on 100 houses himself, and I
don't think I expect the boss to go test every light switch in every
house. Isn't the guy who does the work the one who tests it, unless it's
a nuclear power plant or something?

**You could tell his house because he had real 110v lights along the
sidewalk, and instead of a recirculating range hood, his had an outlet
above the front-sliding glass door.

Re: Wiring

<t7ap7hhle3v29d96gimjhsa25849tu1p42@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24595&group=alt.home.repair#24595

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 09:28:55 +0300
 by: micky - Thu, 12 May 2022 06:28 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 12 May 2022 00:09:52 -0500, Jim Joyce
<none@none.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 May 2022 18:19:43 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>A friend just bought his first house. He had an electrician come in to
>>quote some upgrades, One was two replace two, non working baseboard heaters.
>>
>>I told him to let me check it first as since both heaters were on the
>>same breaker, I thought it unlikely both would be bad. He was kind of
>>surprised when it only took me a few minutes to fix them. There was one
>>wire in the breaker that was not even tightened !
>>
>>I have seen this before where an apprentice electrician was working.
>>I'm not sure how someone can be so careless.
>>

>>Just wondering if anyone here has seen this?
>
>I bought a newly built house in 2019 that came with a 1-year builder's
>warranty. During that first year, I put in about 3 dozen warranty
>claims, most of which were for electrical issues.
>
>Most of the issues were a result of improperly stripping insulation
>before tightening the screw down, especially on receptacles, so that the
>screw was tightened on the insulation. That caused intermittent
>connections and breakers that constantly tripped. The issues with the
>light witches were mostly loose connections, which also caused breakers
>to trip. I'm out of warranty now so I've corrected at least a half dozen
>additional issues by myself. There are still a few issues, two loose
>receptacles in the hallway near the front door and a loose receptacle in
>the garage, but we've learned not to use those receptacles until I get
>around to fixing them.

Wow, I wrote my little complaint list before reading yours. You have me
beat by 100 miles.

>>OTOH: I'm not perfect and once had to re-do a wire nut.
>
>Same.

Re: Wiring

<t5il7j$ap6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24601&group=alt.home.repair#24601

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 04:49:39 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 12 May 2022 09:49 UTC

On 5/12/22 12:09 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2022 18:19:43 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> A friend just bought his first house. He had an electrician come in to
>> quote some upgrades, One was two replace two, non working baseboard heaters.
>>
>> I told him to let me check it first as since both heaters were on the
>> same breaker, I thought it unlikely both would be bad. He was kind of
>> surprised when it only took me a few minutes to fix them. There was one
>> wire in the breaker that was not even tightened !
>>
>> I have seen this before where an apprentice electrician was working.
>> I'm not sure how someone can be so careless.
>>

>> Just wondering if anyone here has seen this?
>
> I bought a newly built house in 2019 that came with a 1-year builder's
> warranty. During that first year, I put in about 3 dozen warranty
> claims, most of which were for electrical issues.
>
> Most of the issues were a result of improperly stripping insulation
> before tightening the screw down, especially on receptacles, so that the
> screw was tightened on the insulation. That caused intermittent
> connections and breakers that constantly tripped. The issues with the
> light witches were mostly loose connections, which also caused breakers
> to trip. I'm out of warranty now so I've corrected at least a half dozen
> additional issues by myself. There are still a few issues, two loose
> receptacles in the hallway near the front door and a loose receptacle in
> the garage, but we've learned not to use those receptacles until I get
> around to fixing them.
>
>> OTOH: I'm not perfect and once had to re-do a wire nut.
>
> Same.

Well, all I can say is that an inspector can't possibly check everything.

Anyway, my buddy is very happy.

There is a lot of work the house still needs but he seems mostly
concerned with cleaning the basement toilet :)

Re: Wiring

<t5ir4i$m1m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24602&group=alt.home.repair#24602

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 06:30:24 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 12 May 2022 11:30 UTC

On 5/12/22 1:26 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 11 May 2022 18:19:43 -0500, philo
> <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> A friend just bought his first house. He had an electrician come in to
>> quote some upgrades, One was two replace two, non working baseboard heaters.
>>
>> I told him to let me check it first as since both heaters were on the
>> same breaker, I thought it unlikely both would be bad. He was kind of
>> surprised when it only took me a few minutes to fix them. There was one
>> wire in the breaker that was not even tightened !
>>
>> I have seen this before where an apprentice electrician was working.
>> I'm not sure how someone can be so careless.
>>

>> Just wondering if anyone here has seen this?
>>

>> OTOH: I'm not perfect and once had to re-do a wire nut.
>
> I'haven't seen something tthis important, but there were 3 flaws in my
> house, which was 4 years old and was owned by a single guy who either
> didn't notice them or didn't mind.
>
> The switches by the stairway, next to the down-pointing, had the
> upstairs light switch closer to the stairs than the basement landing
> switch. One could get used to that but I changed it.

<snipped for brevity>

Just remembered something.
When I bought my house it was a "fixer-upper" and I had to re-do
everything the previous owner did.
My very first project was to remove the light switch located in the
shower !!!

It is now right outside the bathroom door.

Re: Wiring

<o88fK.6$NMxb.1@fx02.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24605&group=alt.home.repair#24605

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 09:41:38 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Thu, 12 May 2022 13:41 UTC

On 5/12/2022 2:26 AM, micky wrote:

> The electician lived for 5 or 10 years in one of the townhouses** and I
> saw him at a meeting. I thought number 3 above would be an interesting
> piece of chitchat, but he didnt' like hearing it. Maybe I sounded to
> serious or maybe he just didn't like having a flaw "he" made pointed
> out. I'm sure he didn't do all the work on 100 houses himself, and I
> don't think I expect the boss to go test every light switch in every
> house. Isn't the guy who does the work the one who tests it, unless it's
> a nuclear power plant or something?

My builder checked every one. I'm in a development of 675 homes and
there are builders that take care of a few houses at a time. He checks
ever switch, valve, faucet, window and appliance before he hands it off
as done. Every screw on a switch plate is perfectly aligned with a
vertical slot.

Pays off. Of the four houses near me, none of us had a complaint or
needed a fix of anything

Re: Wiring

<ta8fK.7$NMxb.0@fx02.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24608&group=alt.home.repair#24608

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 09:43:52 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Thu, 12 May 2022 13:43 UTC

On 5/12/2022 5:49 AM, philo wrote:

> Well, all I can say is that an inspector can't possibly check everything.
>
> Anyway, my buddy is very happy.

They can if they want to. Takes a little time.

Re: Wiring

<4o6q7hdqnobg4il5nj85q273fma6fkj3io@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24611&group=alt.home.repair#24611

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 17:38:41 +0300
 by: micky - Thu, 12 May 2022 14:38 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 12 May 2022 09:41:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 5/12/2022 2:26 AM, micky wrote:
>

>> The electician lived for 5 or 10 years in one of the townhouses** and I
>> saw him at a meeting. I thought number 3 above would be an interesting
>> piece of chitchat, but he didnt' like hearing it. Maybe I sounded to
>> serious or maybe he just didn't like having a flaw "he" made pointed
>> out. I'm sure he didn't do all the work on 100 houses himself, and I
>> don't think I expect the boss to go test every light switch in every
>> house. Isn't the guy who does the work the one who tests it, unless it's
>> a nuclear power plant or something?
>
>My builder checked every one. I'm in a development of 675 homes and
>there are builders that take care of a few houses at a time. He checks
>ever switch, valve, faucet, window and appliance before he hands it off
>as done. Every screw on a switch plate is perfectly aligned with a
>vertical slot.
>
>Pays off. Of the four houses near me, none of us had a complaint or
>needed a fix of anything

I'm impressed. Especially with aligning the screw slot vertically. I
used to do that when put a plate on, not sure if I still do.

When I was 10 my mother bought that probably less than 5 or 10 years
old. 5 years later, big chunks started chipping off the bricks,
especially one one wall and the chimney. Even though we were not the
original buyer, my mother heard that the builder would give a refund.
She called him and he made an appointment to come and look, but he died
before then. Still he'd paid others and his intention to pay us was
there. Apparetnly he'd bought a load of bad brick 10 or 15 years
earlier. I don't know his name or how old he was.

Re: Wiring

<n5pq7hhkck45g004jg990r3riuno447ht5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24616&group=alt.home.repair#24616

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 15:50:46 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Thu, 12 May 2022 19:50 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 09:43:52 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 5/12/2022 5:49 AM, philo wrote:
>

>> Well, all I can say is that an inspector can't possibly check everything.
>>
>> Anyway, my buddy is very happy.
>>

>They can if they want to. Takes a little time.
Piss off the inspector ONCE and he'll DOUBLE check EVERYTHING on
EVERY house you do for the next year - al least!!! It will become a
game for him to find the most arcane "defects" he can.

Re: Wiring

<t5k1jc$qf2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24619&group=alt.home.repair#24619

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 17:26:52 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 12 May 2022 22:26 UTC

On 5/12/22 8:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/12/2022 5:49 AM, philo wrote:
>

>> Well, all I can say is that an inspector can't possibly check everything.
>>
>> Anyway, my buddy is very happy.
>>

> They can if they want to.  Takes a little time.

The inspector who was here recognized the name of the company and said
it was a trusted name and just did a perfunctory inspection.

After he left I did a thorough one and replaced a non-matching screw on
the breaker box cover.

Re: Wiring

<t5k2s9$34h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24620&group=alt.home.repair#24620

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 17:48:39 -0500
 by: philo - Thu, 12 May 2022 22:48 UTC

On 5/12/22 9:38 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 12 May 2022 09:41:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
> <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2022 2:26 AM, micky wrote:
>>

>>> The electician lived for 5 or 10 years in one of the townhouses** and I
>>> saw him at a meeting. I thought number 3 above would be an interesting
>>> piece of chitchat, but he didnt' like hearing it. Maybe I sounded to
>>> serious or maybe he just didn't like having a flaw "he" made pointed
>>> out. I'm sure he didn't do all the work on 100 houses himself, and I
>>> don't think I expect the boss to go test every light switch in every
>>> house. Isn't the guy who does the work the one who tests it, unless it's
>>> a nuclear power plant or something?
>>
>> My builder checked every one. I'm in a development of 675 homes and
>> there are builders that take care of a few houses at a time. He checks
>> ever switch, valve, faucet, window and appliance before he hands it off
>> as done. Every screw on a switch plate is perfectly aligned with a
>> vertical slot.
>>
>> Pays off. Of the four houses near me, none of us had a complaint or
>> needed a fix of anything
>
> I'm impressed. Especially with aligning the screw slot vertically. I
> used to do that when put a plate on, not sure if I still do.
>
> When I was 10 my mother bought that probably less than 5 or 10 years
> old. 5 years later, big chunks started chipping off the bricks,
> especially one one wall and the chimney. Even though we were not the
> original buyer, my mother heard that the builder would give a refund.
> She called him and he made an appointment to come and look, but he died
> before then. Still he'd paid others and his intention to pay us was
> there. Apparetnly he'd bought a load of bad brick 10 or 15 years
> earlier. I don't know his name or how old he was.

It's great that the inspection is 100% but I don't necessarily agree
with screw alignment...although on a switch plate exact torque is not
critical.

When I was taking wood-shop in HS I built a book rack and at the bottom
where it would not show, I put the screws in where the snugness felt
just right. The teacher made me adjust them so the heads aligned.

I did not at all approve of one being slightly loose and another
slightly tight. For my job, when we worked on stationary stand-by
batteries, there was a specified torque which we adhered to exactly. We
were not concerned with all bolt heads being aligned,

Re: Wiring

<2690b737-cf37-4cd8-aff8-f8c09d1ff64fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24623&group=alt.home.repair#24623

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 17:47:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Fri, 13 May 2022 00:47 UTC

On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 9:41:49 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/12/2022 2:26 AM, micky wrote:
>

> > The electician lived for 5 or 10 years in one of the townhouses** and I
> > saw him at a meeting. I thought number 3 above would be an interesting
> > piece of chitchat, but he didnt' like hearing it. Maybe I sounded to
> > serious or maybe he just didn't like having a flaw "he" made pointed
> > out. I'm sure he didn't do all the work on 100 houses himself, and I
> > don't think I expect the boss to go test every light switch in every
> > house. Isn't the guy who does the work the one who tests it, unless it's
> > a nuclear power plant or something?
> My builder checked every one. I'm in a development of 675 homes and
> there are builders that take care of a few houses at a time. He checks
> ever switch, valve, faucet, window and appliance before he hands it off
> as done. Every screw on a switch plate is perfectly aligned with a
> vertical slot.

Vertical screws don't really mean much. All they mean is that the person
who put the plate on made them vertical.

I could do the sloppiest job I want inside the box and then try to make
people think I'm a great electrician by the applying the miniscule amount
effort needed to align the screws.

We've all seen great looking facades hiding pure crap. Vertical screws
*look* good, but they don't tell you anything about what's inside the
box.

> Pays off. Of the four houses near me, none of us had a complaint or
> needed a fix of anything

Re: Wiring

<1nifK.11$SWc6.7@fx44.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24624&group=alt.home.repair#24624

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 21:19:56 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Fri, 13 May 2022 01:19 UTC

On 5/12/2022 8:47 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 9:41:49 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 5/12/2022 2:26 AM, micky wrote:
>>

>>> The electician lived for 5 or 10 years in one of the townhouses** and I
>>> saw him at a meeting. I thought number 3 above would be an interesting
>>> piece of chitchat, but he didnt' like hearing it. Maybe I sounded to
>>> serious or maybe he just didn't like having a flaw "he" made pointed
>>> out. I'm sure he didn't do all the work on 100 houses himself, and I
>>> don't think I expect the boss to go test every light switch in every
>>> house. Isn't the guy who does the work the one who tests it, unless it's
>>> a nuclear power plant or something?
>> My builder checked every one. I'm in a development of 675 homes and
>> there are builders that take care of a few houses at a time. He checks
>> ever switch, valve, faucet, window and appliance before he hands it off
>> as done. Every screw on a switch plate is perfectly aligned with a
>> vertical slot.
>>

> Vertical screws don't really mean much. All they mean is that the person
> who put the plate on made them vertical.
>
> I could do the sloppiest job I want inside the box and then try to make
> people think I'm a great electrician by the applying the miniscule amount
> effort needed to align the screws.

Could be but the inside is as meticulous as the outside. I had the
electrician do some other work for me too afterwards. Some people take
pride in their work.

Re: Wiring

<vjgr7hl76rnhclh9pn2ubd0j2qijvsk8nl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24625&group=alt.home.repair#24625

From: non...@none.invalid (Jim Joyce)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 21:32:43 -0500
 by: Jim Joyce - Fri, 13 May 2022 02:32 UTC

On Thu, 12 May 2022 09:41:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 5/12/2022 2:26 AM, micky wrote:
>

>> The electician lived for 5 or 10 years in one of the townhouses** and I
>> saw him at a meeting. I thought number 3 above would be an interesting
>> piece of chitchat, but he didnt' like hearing it. Maybe I sounded to
>> serious or maybe he just didn't like having a flaw "he" made pointed
>> out. I'm sure he didn't do all the work on 100 houses himself, and I
>> don't think I expect the boss to go test every light switch in every
>> house. Isn't the guy who does the work the one who tests it, unless it's
>> a nuclear power plant or something?
>
>My builder checked every one. I'm in a development of 675 homes and
>there are builders that take care of a few houses at a time. He checks
>ever switch, valve, faucet, window and appliance before he hands it off
>as done. Every screw on a switch plate is perfectly aligned with a
>vertical slot.
>
>Pays off. Of the four houses near me, none of us had a complaint or
>needed a fix of anything

There's an Internet meme that says, "Tell me x without telling me x.",
where x can be all kinds of things.

In your case, I could say, "Tell me you don't have a DR Horton home
without telling me you don't have a DR Horton home." Above, you've told
me you don't have a DR Horton home.

Re: Wiring

<llas7htbb0qpisn0jlr1h3gvs0uaecmlnb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24626&group=alt.home.repair#24626

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 12:58:07 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 13 May 2022 09:58 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 12 May 2022 17:48:39 -0500, philo
<philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 5/12/22 9:38 AM, micky wrote:
>> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 12 May 2022 09:41:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
>> <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>>> My builder checked every one. I'm in a development of 675 homes and
>>> there are builders that take care of a few houses at a time. He checks
>>> ever switch, valve, faucet, window and appliance before he hands it off
>>> as done. Every screw on a switch plate is perfectly aligned with a
>>> vertical slot.
>>>
>>> Pays off. Of the four houses near me, none of us had a complaint or
>>> needed a fix of anything
>>
>> I'm impressed. Especially with aligning the screw slot vertically. I
>> used to do that when put a plate on, not sure if I still do.
>>
>> When I was 10 my mother bought that probably less than 5 or 10 years
>> old. 5 years later, big chunks started chipping off the bricks,
>> especially one one wall and the chimney. Even though we were not the
>> original buyer, my mother heard that the builder would give a refund.
>> She called him and he made an appointment to come and look, but he died
>> before then. Still he'd paid others and his intention to pay us was
>> there. Apparetnly he'd bought a load of bad brick 10 or 15 years
>> earlier. I don't know his name or how old he was.
>

>It's great that the inspection is 100% but I don't necessarily agree
>with screw alignment...although on a switch plate exact torque is not
>critical.
>
>When I was taking wood-shop in HS I built a book rack and at the bottom
>where it would not show, I put the screws in where the snugness felt
>just right. The teacher made me adjust them so the heads aligned.
>
>I did not at all approve of one being slightly loose and another
>slightly tight.

I agree with you. My second sight tells me that because of his change,
that bookcase is about to fall over, taking many old priceless books and
antique nicknacks with it.

> For my job, when we worked on stationary stand-by
>batteries, there was a specified torque which we adhered to exactly. We
>were not concerned with all bolt heads being aligned,

When I took wood shop it was a year except for 4 or 6 weeks that were
electric shop. On the test, he asked why the birds on power lines were
not electrocuted. I had an electric train and I said it was because
they weren't grounded. He marked it wrong and said it was because the
wires are insulated. It was only 7th grade and it didn't affect what
college I went to so I didn't argue with him.

Re: Wiring

<t5ld7c$10n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24627&group=alt.home.repair#24627

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 05:51:22 -0500
 by: philo - Fri, 13 May 2022 10:51 UTC

On 5/13/2022 4:58 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 12 May 2022 17:48:39 -0500, philo
> <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

<snip>
>>> I'm impressed. Especially with aligning the screw slot vertically. I
>>> used to do that when put a plate on, not sure if I still do.
>>>
>>> When I was 10 my mother bought that probably less than 5 or 10 years
>>> old. 5 years later, big chunks started chipping off the bricks,
>>> especially one one wall and the chimney. Even though we were not the
>>> original buyer, my mother heard that the builder would give a refund.
>>> She called him and he made an appointment to come and look, but he died
>>> before then. Still he'd paid others and his intention to pay us was
>>> there. Apparetnly he'd bought a load of bad brick 10 or 15 years
>>> earlier. I don't know his name or how old he was.
>>

>> It's great that the inspection is 100% but I don't necessarily agree
>> with screw alignment...although on a switch plate exact torque is not
>> critical.
>>
>> When I was taking wood-shop in HS I built a book rack and at the bottom
>> where it would not show, I put the screws in where the snugness felt
>> just right. The teacher made me adjust them so the heads aligned.
>>
>> I did not at all approve of one being slightly loose and another
>> slightly tight.
>
> I agree with you. My second sight tells me that because of his change,
> that bookcase is about to fall over, taking many old priceless books and
> antique nicknacks with it.

It is not a book case, just a small , leaning shelf which I still use.

>> For my job, when we worked on stationary stand-by
>> batteries, there was a specified torque which we adhered to exactly. We
>> were not concerned with all bolt heads being aligned,
>
> When I took wood shop it was a year except for 4 or 6 weeks that were
> electric shop. On the test, he asked why the birds on power lines were
> not electrocuted. I had an electric train and I said it was because
> they weren't grounded. He marked it wrong and said it was because the
> wires are insulated. It was only 7th grade and it didn't affect what
> college I went to so I didn't argue with him.

I also learned early on that teachers are not always right and also that
it is generally not worth an argument.

First time was in 2nd grade, then later in college when I took Spanish.

I hated my last semester professor so much that I went to the head of
the department after I graduated and asked if I could possibly get her
home address.

He told me he really could not give out such info.

I then said, "Just as well, I was going to write a nasty letter."

He then gave me her address, I'm sure he hated her too.