From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: crumple
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 13:10:23 -0400
 by: micky - Sat, 22 May 2021 17:10 UTC

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/crumple

Origin of crumple
1400–50; late Middle English; variant of crimple

I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!

I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.

Re: crumple

<2lakagh3ptc5iebdb412d5ui890ha317he@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2406&group=alt.english.usage#2406

From: mai...@peterduncanson.net (Peter Duncanson [BrE])
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: crumple
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 11:17:35 +0100
 by: Peter Duncanson [BrE - Sun, 23 May 2021 10:17 UTC

On Sat, 22 May 2021 13:10:23 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>https://www.dictionary.com/browse/crumple
>
>Origin of crumple
>1400–50; late Middle English; variant of crimple
>
>I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!
>
>I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/crumple

verb
[with object]

1 Crush (something, typically paper or cloth) so that it becomes
creased and wrinkled.

‘he crumpled up the paper bag’
‘Finn crumpled the paper and threw it into the garbage can five
feet away from us.’
‘She moves cigarettes in her pack, then crumples the paper and
puts it on the shelf with chocolate bars.’
‘I always stack the dishes and put the silverware in a glass and
crumple the paper and sweep up the errant rice, because I
bussed tables for many years.’
‘He stood up brusquely, crumpling the paper and tossing it at my
face.’
<snip further examples and senses 1.1 and 1.2>

Origin

Middle English from obsolete crump ‘make or become curved’, from Old
English crump ‘bent, crooked’, of West Germanic origin; related to
German krumm.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)

Re: crumple

<2cu2bg13v6r6v33mt5793vm5gtdl2o1vi1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2430&group=alt.english.usage#2430

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 19:15:31 -0400
 by: micky - Fri, 28 May 2021 23:15 UTC

In alt.english.usage, on Sun, 23 May 2021 11:17:35 +0100, "Peter
Duncanson [BrE]" <mail@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 May 2021 13:10:23 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>https://www.dictionary.com/browse/crumple
>>
>>Origin of crumple
>>1400–50; late Middle English; variant of crimple
>>
>>I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!
>>
>>I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.
>
>https://www.lexico.com/definition/crumple
>
> verb
> [with object]
>
> 1 Crush (something, typically paper or cloth) so that it becomes
> creased and wrinkled.
>
> ‘he crumpled up the paper bag’
> ‘Finn crumpled the paper and threw it into the garbage can five
> feet away from us.’
> ‘She moves cigarettes in her pack, then crumples the paper and
> puts it on the shelf with chocolate bars.’
> ‘I always stack the dishes and put the silverware in a glass and
> crumple the paper and sweep up the errant rice, because I
> bussed tables for many years.’
> ‘He stood up brusquely, crumpling the paper and tossing it at my
> face.’
> <snip further examples and senses 1.1 and 1.2>
>
> Origin
>
> Middle English from obsolete crump ‘make or become curved’, from Old
> English crump ‘bent, crooked’, of West Germanic origin; related to
> German krumm.

oKAY. How little I know!

Re: crumple

<8cu3bgtj8mmb09dume20pkp6oel4usnih1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2433&group=alt.english.usage#2433

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 10:22:42 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 29 May 2021 08:22 UTC

wrote:

>https://www.dictionary.com/browse/crumple
>
>Origin of crumple
>1400–50; late Middle English; variant of crimple
>
>I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!
>
>I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.

Long before that usage, I would crumple a sheet of paper before
throwing it in the watepaper pasket.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: crumple

<tdpabglseo8r1kqpeopjuk2lgrbg39hve2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2459&group=alt.english.usage#2459

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 18:40:46 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 31 May 2021 22:40 UTC

In alt.english.usage, on Sat, 29 May 2021 10:22:42 +0200, Steve Hayes
<hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 May 2021 13:10:23 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>https://www.dictionary.com/browse/crumple
>>
>>Origin of crumple
>>1400–50; late Middle English; variant of crimple
>>
>>I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!
>>
>>I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.
>
>Long before that usage, I would crumple a sheet of paper before
>throwing it in the watepaper pasket.

I guess you guy's are right. I'd better start taking more Jinoba, or
Ginoba, or Gin, whatever it is that will make my memory 100%.

Re: crumple

<20210602122511.940b844ceb184fe4711d5b85@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2462&group=alt.english.usage#2462

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 12:25:11 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 2 Jun 2021 09:25 UTC

micky:

> Origin of crumple
> 1400-50 late Middle English; variant of crimple
>
> I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!
> I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.

You do not read much, do you? If not classics, then at
least classic noir, and if not early Woolrich then at least
later Chandler (1949), e.g.:

I put the duster away folded with dust in it, leaned back
and just sat, not smoking, not even thinking. I was a
blank man. I had no face, no meaning, no personality,
hardly a name. I didn't want to eat. I didn't even want a
drink. I was the page from yesterday's calendar crumpled
at the bottom of the waste basket.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: crumple

<s9dkti$1r3i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2464&group=alt.english.usage#2464

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 17:38:12 +0100
 by: Peter - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 16:38 UTC

micky wrote:
> https://www.dictionary.com/browse/crumple
>
> Origin of crumple
> 1400–50; late Middle English; variant of crimple
>
> I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!
>
> I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.

"This is the cow with the crumpled horn..." from a nursery rhyme called
"The house that Jack built".

I remember being puzzled -- were horns really things that could could be
crumpled? I probably had difficult forming an appropriate mental image.

--
Just as 'beautiful' points the way for aesthetics and 'good' for ethics,
so do words like 'true' for logic. All sciences have truth as their

Re: crumple

<s9dl26$1r3i$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2465&group=alt.english.usage#2465

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 17:40:40 +0100
 by: Peter - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 16:40 UTC

Peter wrote:
> micky wrote:
>> https://www.dictionary.com/browse/crumple
>>
>> Origin of crumple
>> 1400–50; late Middle English; variant of crimple
>>
>> I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!
>>
>> I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.
>>

> "This is the cow with the crumpled horn..." from a nursery rhyme called
> "The house that Jack built".
>
> I remember being puzzled -- were horns really things that could could be
> crumpled?  I probably had difficult forming an appropriate mental image.

Sorry, difficul*ty*.

--
Just as 'beautiful' points the way for aesthetics and 'good' for ethics,
so do words like 'true' for logic. All sciences have truth as their
goal; but logic is also concerned with it in a quite different way:
logic has much the same relation to truth as physics has to weight or
heat. Frege in 'Thoughts' (Der Gedanke)

Re: crumple

<p0ombglar2cm0ss19op1c1taabqqng0p84@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2470&group=alt.english.usage#2470

From: mai...@peterduncanson.net (Peter Duncanson [BrE])
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 12:33:12 +0100
 by: Peter Duncanson [BrE - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 11:33 UTC

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 17:38:12 +0100, Peter <peterxpercival@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> https://www.dictionary.com/browse/crumple
>>
>> Origin of crumple
>> 1400–50; late Middle English; variant of crimple
>>
>> I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!
>>
>> I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.
>>

>"This is the cow with the crumpled horn..." from a nursery rhyme called
>"The house that Jack built".
>
>I remember being puzzled -- were horns really things that could could be
>crumpled? I probably had difficult forming an appropriate mental image.

I think the meaning was that the horn had a shape that appeared
"crumpled" compared with those on other cows.

As you say, it would not have been physicaly crumpled. It would have
grown abnormally into a shape that looked crumpled.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)

Re: crumple

<do1nbglrq1o3lrp94ohr6u9ie6f5r9ej4p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2471&group=alt.english.usage#2471

From: mai...@peterduncanson.net (Peter Duncanson [BrE])
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 15:23:46 +0100
 by: Peter Duncanson [BrE - Sat, 5 Jun 2021 14:23 UTC

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 12:33:12 +0100, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]"
<mail@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 17:38:12 +0100, Peter <peterxpercival@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>micky wrote:
>>> https://www.dictionary.com/browse/crumple
>>>
>>> Origin of crumple
>>> 1400–50; late Middle English; variant of crimple
>>>
>>> I would have thought it was a 20th-century coined word!
>>>
>>> I only remember hearing it wrt crumple-zone.
>>>

>>"This is the cow with the crumpled horn..." from a nursery rhyme called
>>"The house that Jack built".
>>
>>I remember being puzzled -- were horns really things that could could be
>>crumpled? I probably had difficult forming an appropriate mental image.
>
>I think the meaning was that the horn had a shape that appeared
>"crumpled" compared with those on other cows.
>
>As you say, it would not have been physicaly crumpled. It would have
>grown abnormally into a shape that looked crumpled.

I did an online search for images of cows with *damaged* horns. The
majority had horns with parts broken off.

I then searched for cows with *crumbled* horns.

This is one that the photographer describes as a *crumpled horn*.
https://twitter.com/maddiegrigg/status/1005007543737995264

My guess is that the animal suffered injury at the base of the horn when
it was young and that affected the future growth of the horn.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)