Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed Pawlowski)
Subject: Take care of that septic tank
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 16:48:48 -0400
 by: Ed Pawlowski - Mon, 16 May 2022 20:48 UTC

Woman died in the tank

https://www.wfla.com/news/sarasota-county/north-port-woman-found-dead-in-septic-tank-reports-say/

“She had told her neighbor she had gotten a pump out, and whoever had
pumped it recommended a lid replacement or a tank replacement,” said
Martin Guffey of Martin Septic Service, Inc. “I’m not sure what some
sort of repair. She felt like maybe the guy was not telling the truth so
she didn’t believe it.”

Re: Take care of that septic tank

<paf78h5caa0nf5t4a8jg8jrr4j2g69ea2p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=24769&group=alt.home.repair#24769

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Take care of that septic tank
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 18:30:30 +0300
 by: micky - Tue, 17 May 2022 15:30 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 16 May 2022 16:48:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
<esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>Woman died in the tank
>
>https://www.wfla.com/news/sarasota-county/north-port-woman-found-dead-in-septic-tank-reports-say/
>
>“She had told her neighbor she had gotten a pump out, and whoever had

You quoted it correctly but I think it should have been written
"pump-out".

>pumped it recommended a lid replacement or a tank replacement,” said
>Martin Guffey of Martin Septic Service, Inc. “I’m not sure what some
>sort of repair. She felt like maybe the guy was not telling the truth so
>she didn’t believe it.”

In light of her death, I somewhat hate to compare a triviality with her
situation, but....

A year after my father died, I suppose my mother had had to hire someone
to mow the lawn. Or maybe someone else told her that a trench should be
dug around the oak tree in our front yard. She too thought maybe the
guy was not telling the truth, but she did it. (I don't know how much
she cost...She only had the emoney my father left her and two children
to raise.) It was about 16" deep and a doughnut around the trunk, maybe
18" bigger on every side. I too wondered if it was needed, but when I
was back there 50 years later, the tree was doing great. Now, I can
still see it on sat view and street view and the tree is so big it
covers most of the front yard and obscures the whole second floor when
viewed from the street.

The trench is still there, just about the same as 50 years ago except
the grass has a little bent-over lip starting about 2 inches from the
trench.

I haven't seen another trench like it all these years. Did it need it,
did it help? I don't know.