Whatever occurs from love is always beyond good and evil. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

interests / alt.english.usage / Re: boffins

SubjectAuthor
* Re: boffinsSteve Hayes
+* Re: boffinsDan Purgert
|+* Re: boffinsLewis
||`* Re: boffinsPeter Duncanson [BrE]
|| `* Re: boffinsMark Brader
||  `- Re: boffinsPeter Duncanson [BrE]
|`* Re: boffinsPeter
| `- Re: boffinsLewis
`* Re: boffinsTony Cooper
 +* Re: boffinsMark Brader
 |+- Re: boffinsQuinn C
 |`- Re: boffinsMark Brader
 +* Re: boffinsLewis
 |`* Re: boffinsPaul Wolff
 | `- Re: boffinsQuinn C
 +* Re: boffinsSteve Hayes
 |+- Re: boffinsMark Brader
 |+- Re: boffinsLewis
 |+* Re: boffinsPeter Moylan
 ||+- Re: boffinscharles
 ||`- Re: boffinsSteve Hayes
 |`* Re: boffinsTony Cooper
 | +- Re: boffinsMark Brader
 | `* Re: boffinsSteve Hayes
 |  +* Re: boffinsJanet
 |  |+* Re: boffinsPeter Duncanson [BrE]
 |  ||`- Re: boffinsJ. J. Lodder
 |  |+- Re: boffinsJ. J. Lodder
 |  |+* Re: boffinsLewis
 |  ||`- Re: boffinsPeter Moylan
 |  |`- Re: boffinsSteve Hayes
 |  `* Re: boffinsTony Cooper
 |   `- Re: boffinsKen Blake
 `* Re: boffinsPeter
  `- Re: boffinsLewis

Pages:12
Re: boffins

<1pa1syp.ydx3ohjwx1cdN@de-ster.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2455&group=alt.english.usage#2455

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: boffins
From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 15:12:05 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Mon, 31 May 2021 13:12 UTC

Janet <nobody@home.com> wrote:

> In article <e8v8bgdvr0v30b2rqubj93b148jstr2jp1@4ax.com>,
> hayesstw@telkomsa.net says...
> > Yes, "boffin" is more narrowly technical than the AmE "guru" or the
> > SAfE "fundi", but when qualified by some technical term, like
> > comp[uter, I think they are all more-or-less -- a computer boffin is
> > much the same as a computer guru or a computer fundi. Buit I don't
> > think one would talkn of a "financial boffin".
> >
> > But I would still say that "guru" refers to expertise rather than
> > influence, in whatever field.
> >
> I would say guru implies an expert who teaches, instructs, mentors
> students/ followers.

Anything between a complete idiot and someone with arcane knowledge.

>Boffin doesn't. Boffins exist in their own little
> sphere, their field of expertise sometimes unrecognised let alone
> appreciated.

Indeed, the results of their efforts
were usually shells impacting, or bombs falling,
and usually much too close for comfort.

Appreciation depended strongly on which side you were on,
but recognition was inevitable,

Jan

Re: boffins

<1pa1thh.1oaedrm1o2i13xN@de-ster.xs4all.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2456&group=alt.english.usage#2456

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 15:12:05 +0200
References: <x8mdtzb9ta7x$.dlg@djph.net> <slrnsaeabs.2292.g.kreme@m1mini.local> <gn0lx6palvyq.dlg@djph.net> <s8etmq$n4f$1@dont-email.me> <lecmag9pl54v5eukr41eau31gjn9revn2p@4ax.com> <5mu3bglieo3uu53nls83ginh9pdoqqoq3k@4ax.com> <gre4bgl0ch1fdqd9ja1beoocoq4bjst6tp@4ax.com> <e8v8bgdvr0v30b2rqubj93b148jstr2jp1@4ax.com> <MPG.3b1ecadd4f4c8197989a4b@news.individual.net> <g4j9bg1osgcrlqohtj7rqdfqejec2l77k6@4ax.com>

Peter Duncanson [BrE] <mail@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:29:20 +0100, Janet <nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <e8v8bgdvr0v30b2rqubj93b148jstr2jp1@4ax.com>,
> >hayesstw@telkomsa.net says...
> >> Yes, "boffin" is more narrowly technical than the AmE "guru" or the
> >> SAfE "fundi", but when qualified by some technical term, like
> >> comp[uter, I think they are all more-or-less -- a computer boffin is
> >> much the same as a computer guru or a computer fundi. Buit I don't
> >> think one would talkn of a "financial boffin".
> >>
> >> But I would still say that "guru" refers to expertise rather than
> >> influence, in whatever field.
> >>
> > I would say guru implies an expert who teaches, instructs, mentors
> >students/ followers. Boffin doesn't. Boffins exist in their own little
> >sphere, their field of expertise sometimes unrecognised let alone
> >appreciated.
> >
> > Janet
>
> Yes. I was having similar thoughts.

Nowadays perhaps,
with the original meaning of 'boffin' no longer understood.
The real boffins had good connections at the highest level
of industry and politics.

In particular, Churchill himself was quite interested
in what he called 'funnies'.
This meant strange and entirely new means of war fighting,
not only bouncing bombs, but also more prosaic things
such as flail tanks or Mulberry harbours.
Winston had that throughout his carrier in fact.
Churchill was not the one who invented the tank in WWI,
but in a very real sense he was the man
who made his 'landships' happen,

Jan

Re: boffins

<ihkdkmFlm3fU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2457&group=alt.english.usage#2457

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 08:28:22 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 31 May 2021 15:28 UTC

On 5/31/2021 6:11 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2021 08:15:13 +0200, Steve Hayes
> <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 May 2021 09:45:16 -0400, Tony Cooper
>><tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>The problem with your question is in the use of "The US equivalent" as
>>>if there is one, and only one, way "guru" is used in the US.
>>>
>>>There are those who use "guru" to mean "the go-to guy when something
>>>goes wrong with your computer", and some of those people restrict the
>>>word to describing a person who is the all-knowing expert in
>>>computer-related issues.
>>>
>>>My comment that a "guru" is a person with knowledge in the field and
>>>who is influential in the field was rejected by some because
>>>"knowledge" alone is not enough and the person need not be
>>>influential.
>>>
>>>Yet, I give you Kim Komando: https://www.kgoradio.com/kimkomando/
>>>
>>>where it says Kim has evolved into a national digital guru. “It’s not
>>>about techies and computer-troubleshooting anymore,” she says. “It’s
>>>now about a lifestyle – the lifestyle of a digital age.”
>>
>>How does that use of "guru" differ from the AmE term "wonk"?
>
> "Guru" is used much more widely in the US than "wonk".

Yes--*much* more widely. I almost never see or hear "wonk."

--
Ken

Re: boffins

<slrnsba25v.4pl.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2458&group=alt.english.usage#2458

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 16:03:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Mon, 31 May 2021 16:03 UTC

In message <MPG.3b1ecadd4f4c8197989a4b@news.individual.net> Janet <nobody@home.com> wrote:
> In article <e8v8bgdvr0v30b2rqubj93b148jstr2jp1@4ax.com>,
> hayesstw@telkomsa.net says...
>> Yes, "boffin" is more narrowly technical than the AmE "guru" or the
>> SAfE "fundi", but when qualified by some technical term, like
>> comp[uter, I think they are all more-or-less -- a computer boffin is
>> much the same as a computer guru or a computer fundi. Buit I don't
>> think one would talkn of a "financial boffin".
>>
>> But I would still say that "guru" refers to expertise rather than
>> influence, in whatever field.
>>
> I would say guru implies an expert who teaches, instructs, mentors
> students/ followers. Boffin doesn't. Boffins exist in their own little
> sphere, their field of expertise sometimes unrecognised let alone
> appreciated.

But as I said previously, in tech at least, guru brings to mind the
hermit on the mountain that you go to to get some wisdom, not the cult
leader with the koolade sense of guru.

--
For more than a thousand generations the Jedi were the guardians of
peace and justice in the galaxy. Before the dark times. Before

Re: boffins

<s943du$dfk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2460&group=alt.english.usage#2460

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 11:44:28 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 1 Jun 2021 00:44 UTC

On 01/06/21 03:03, Lewis wrote:
> In message <MPG.3b1ecadd4f4c8197989a4b@news.individual.net> Janet
> <nobody@home.com> wrote:
>> In article <e8v8bgdvr0v30b2rqubj93b148jstr2jp1@4ax.com>,
>> hayesstw@telkomsa.net says...
>>> Yes, "boffin" is more narrowly technical than the AmE "guru" or
>>> the SAfE "fundi", but when qualified by some technical term,
>>> like comp[uter, I think they are all more-or-less -- a computer
>>> boffin is much the same as a computer guru or a computer fundi.
>>> Buit I don't think one would talkn of a "financial boffin".
>>>
>>> But I would still say that "guru" refers to expertise rather
>>> than influence, in whatever field.
>>>
>> I would say guru implies an expert who teaches, instructs, mentors
>> students/ followers. Boffin doesn't. Boffins exist in their own
>> little sphere, their field of expertise sometimes unrecognised let
>> alone appreciated.
>
> But as I said previously, in tech at least, guru brings to mind the
> hermit on the mountain that you go to to get some wisdom, not the
> cult leader with the koolade sense of guru.

Traditionally, there is a more straightforward meaning of guru: a teacher.

When one of my PhD students was writing up his work, his uncle arrived
from India to look after the housework so that the nephew could focus on
the culmination of his research. I was a little embarrassed by the signs
of great respect that the uncle showed to me. Then I realised that this
was simply a part of Indian culture. As the supervisor of the research,
I was the guru, and therefore worthy of respect.

I tried to stay humble anyway. Teachers and researchers used to be
respected in my culture, but that was before the society decided that
the only people worthy of respect were those with lots of money.

Re: boffins

<s9doer$1839$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2466&group=alt.english.usage#2466

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 18:38:37 +0100
 by: Peter - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 17:38 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:

> Steve Hayes wrote:
>> I associate boffin with the development of electronic warfare -- radar,
>> code cracking and the like.
>
> It's just my conjecture but I wonder aloud whether "BOF" wasn't a department
> of some technical intelligence sort, "British" "Operations" "Forensics"...

I associate the word with World War II technology. Surely bouncing
bombs and radar where invented by boffins?!

--
Just as 'beautiful' points the way for aesthetics and 'good' for ethics,
so do words like 'true' for logic. All sciences have truth as their

Re: boffins

<s9dpcq$1tuc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2467&group=alt.english.usage#2467

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 18:54:36 +0100
 by: Peter - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 17:54 UTC

Tony Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2021 00:58:02 -0000 (UTC), Steve Hayes
> <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>>> Thank you for confirming the usage as far as you're aware of it, which
>>> is chiefly what I was interested in given it's a new word to my
>>> experience.
>>>
>>> It's interesting as it seems strange such a recent word wouldn't have a
>>> more definitive origin given its first appearance was only a few decades
>>> ago.
>>
>> The US equivalent seems to be "guru", which, though an older word, seems
>> to be newer even than "boffin" in that respect.
>
> I guess it depends on how those in the US use "guru". A "boffin", in
> my understanding, is a person in management and usually a person in
> management in a technical capacity.
>
> A "guru", in my use, is a person with knowledge of field who is
> influential in that field.
>
> An influential financial or stock market advisor could be described as
> a "guru" in the US, but I don't think that person would be described
> as a "boffin" in the UK.

A minimal requirement for anyone using the word "boffin" in the UK is
that they wear an RAF uniform, sport a moustache, and speak with a
public school accent!

--
Just as 'beautiful' points the way for aesthetics and 'good' for ethics,
so do words like 'true' for logic. All sciences have truth as their
goal; but logic is also concerned with it in a quite different way:
logic has much the same relation to truth as physics has to weight or
heat. Frege in 'Thoughts' (Der Gedanke)

Re: boffins

<slrnsbkqu9.2ri7.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2468&group=alt.english.usage#2468

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 18:07:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 18:07 UTC

In message <s9doer$1839$2@gioia.aioe.org> Peter <peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dan Purgert wrote:
>>
>> Steve Hayes wrote:
>>> I associate boffin with the development of electronic warfare -- radar,
>>> code cracking and the like.
>>
>> It's just my conjecture but I wonder aloud whether "BOF" wasn't a department
>> of some technical intelligence sort, "British" "Operations" "Forensics"...

> I associate the word with World War II technology. Surely bouncing
> bombs and radar where invented by boffins?!

There are incidents of Boffin as a name, but the earliest reference I
know (had to dig it up, then discovered it's on the wikipedia page,
sigh) is:

> 1945 Times 15 Sept. 5/4 A band of scientific men who performed their
> wartime wonders at Malvern and apparently called themselves "the
> boffins".

The origin of its current meaning seems clearly to have come from WWII,
but no one know the origin.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but wouldn't his movies be more suitable for

Re: boffins

<slrnsbla00.s15.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2469&group=alt.english.usage#2469

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 22:24:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 22:24 UTC

In message <s9dpcq$1tuc$1@gioia.aioe.org> Peter <peterxpercival@hotmail.com> wrote:
> A minimal requirement for anyone using the word "boffin" in the UK is
> that they wear an RAF uniform, sport a moustache, and speak with a
> public school accent!

That describes zero of the Brits I know who have used the word.

--
The real American folksong is a rag -- a mental jag A rhythmic tone
for the chronic blues

Re: boffins

<9tarbghqu1mhvseg05eqagaqoivqs5ftef@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2474&group=alt.english.usage#2474

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 07:17:31 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 05:17 UTC

On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:29:20 +0100, Janet <nobody@home.com> wrote:

>In article <e8v8bgdvr0v30b2rqubj93b148jstr2jp1@4ax.com>,
>hayesstw@telkomsa.net says...
>> Yes, "boffin" is more narrowly technical than the AmE "guru" or the
>> SAfE "fundi", but when qualified by some technical term, like
>> comp[uter, I think they are all more-or-less -- a computer boffin is
>> much the same as a computer guru or a computer fundi. Buit I don't
>> think one would talkn of a "financial boffin".
>>
>> But I would still say that "guru" refers to expertise rather than
>> influence, in whatever field.
>>
> I would say guru implies an expert who teaches, instructs, mentors
>students/ followers. Boffin doesn't. Boffins exist in their own little
>sphere, their field of expertise sometimes unrecognised let alone
>appreciated.

I agree. "Boffin" is a narrower term.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa