"You are WRONG, you ol' brass-breasted fascist poop!" -- Bloom County

interests / rec.gardens / Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

SubjectAuthor
* "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall CleanupDan Purgert
+* Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall CleanupBob F
|`* Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall CleanupDELL
| `* Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall CleanupBob F
|  `* Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall CleanupDELL
|   `* Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanupcshenk
|    `* Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanupsongbird
|     `* Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall CleanupThe Bjornsdottirs - Reinhilde
|      `- Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanupcshenk
+- Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanupsongbird
`- Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall CleanupDan Espen

1
"Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<slrnun12fa.hsj.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=250&group=rec.gardens#250

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 14:47:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 14:47 UTC

I have a flowerbed here that this year I planted some self-reseeding
(annual) native flowers.

I assume that getting the leafblower in there will just scatter the
seeds into the lawn; so probably the best course of action is just
raking the leaves out? Or is there a better approach I should be
taking, in order to keep the beds looking relatively neat until next
year's flowers start springing up.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<ukq97n$re2l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=251&group=rec.gardens#251

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 08:53:48 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 16:53 UTC

On 12/6/2023 6:47 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> I have a flowerbed here that this year I planted some self-reseeding
> (annual) native flowers.
>
> I assume that getting the leafblower in there will just scatter the
> seeds into the lawn; so probably the best course of action is just
> raking the leaves out? Or is there a better approach I should be
> taking, in order to keep the beds looking relatively neat until next
> year's flowers start springing up.

I rake a good layer of leaves onto those beds as mulch.

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<vsp64k-7ca.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=252&group=rec.gardens#252

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:07:59 -0500
 by: songbird - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:07 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> I have a flowerbed here that this year I planted some self-reseeding
> (annual) native flowers.
>
> I assume that getting the leafblower in there will just scatter the
> seeds into the lawn; so probably the best course of action is just
> raking the leaves out? Or is there a better approach I should be
> taking, in order to keep the beds looking relatively neat until next
> year's flowers start springing up.

each variety of flower may have their own preferences
as to if they would like leaf cover or not, some may do
ok with bare dirt, some need slightly disturbed soils,
some want a mulch, etc.

songbird

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<ukqmk7$tjih$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=253&group=rec.gardens#253

From: dan1es...@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2023 15:47:03 -0500
 by: Dan Espen - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:47 UTC

Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> writes:

> I have a flowerbed here that this year I planted some self-reseeding
> (annual) native flowers.
>
> I assume that getting the leafblower in there will just scatter the
> seeds into the lawn; so probably the best course of action is just
> raking the leaves out? Or is there a better approach I should be
> taking, in order to keep the beds looking relatively neat until next
> year's flowers start springing up.

I've got a number of plants that come back every year from seeds.
I keep the property neat with a backpack blower.
I think the plants spread so many seeds I don't have to worry about blowing
the seeds around.

--
Dan Espen

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<TemcncANlpfsDnv4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=257&group=rec.gardens#257

From: csh...@yahoo.net (DELL)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 03:37:21 +0000
 by: DELL - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 03:37 UTC

Bob F wrote:

> On 12/6/2023 6:47 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> > I have a flowerbed here that this year I planted some self-reseeding
> > (annual) native flowers.
> >
> > I assume that getting the leafblower in there will just scatter the
> > seeds into the lawn; so probably the best course of action is just
> > raking the leaves out? Or is there a better approach I should be
> > taking, in order to keep the beds looking relatively neat until next
> > year's flowers start springing up.
>
> I rake a good layer of leaves onto those beds as mulch.

Yes and right about now if dry, crumble them up and drop back in.
Nature's mulch. BTW, depends on growth zone. May have butterfly
cocoons still in some areas.

Hi, I
m Carol, rare new person to a group. Awesome amount of spam to 'bozo
bin'.

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<us67et$3jo2d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=258&group=rec.gardens#258

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:35:30 -0800
 by: Bob F - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 04:35 UTC

On 3/4/2024 7:37 PM, DELL wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
>
>> On 12/6/2023 6:47 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
>>> I have a flowerbed here that this year I planted some self-reseeding
>>> (annual) native flowers.
>>>
>>> I assume that getting the leafblower in there will just scatter the
>>> seeds into the lawn; so probably the best course of action is just
>>> raking the leaves out? Or is there a better approach I should be
>>> taking, in order to keep the beds looking relatively neat until next
>>> year's flowers start springing up.
>>
>> I rake a good layer of leaves onto those beds as mulch.
>
> Yes and right about now if dry, crumble them up and drop back in.
> Nature's mulch. BTW, depends on growth zone. May have butterfly
> cocoons still in some areas.
>
> Hi, I
> m Carol, rare new person to a group. Awesome amount of spam to 'bozo
> bin'.

I have about 30 "people" on my plonk list for this group.

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<tICcncExUZ_E4nr4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=259&group=rec.gardens#259

From: csh...@yahoo.net (DELL)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 20:23:53 +0000
 by: DELL - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:23 UTC

Bob F wrote:

> On 3/4/2024 7:37 PM, DELL wrote:
> > Bob F wrote:

> > > I rake a good layer of leaves onto those beds as mulch.
> >
> > Yes and right about now if dry, crumble them up and drop back in.
> > Nature's mulch. BTW, depends on growth zone. May have butterfly
> > cocoons still in some areas.
> >
> > Hi, I
> > m Carol, rare new person to a group. Awesome amount of spam to
> > 'bozo bin'.
>
> I have about 30 "people" on my plonk list for this group.

No wonder! I'm going to move it now to my regular prossessing site.
They share the same bozobin so that will carry over. Header will
change to cshenk then. (first initial and truncated last name). I'll
ask songbird to come back in. He's the one who recommeded the group.

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<SqCdnU22fK9nHXr4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=260&group=rec.gardens#260

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 20:30:50 +0000
 by: cshenk - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 20:30 UTC

DELL wrote:

> Bob F wrote:

> > > Yes and right about now if dry, crumble them up and drop back in.
> > > Nature's mulch. BTW, depends on growth zone. May have butterfly
> > > cocoons still in some areas.
> > >
> > > Hi, I
> > > m Carol, rare new person to a group. Awesome amount of spam to
> > > 'bozo bin'.
> >
> > I have about 30 "people" on my plonk list for this group.
>
> No wonder! I'm going to move it now to my regular prossessing site.
> They share the same bozobin so that will carry over. Header will
> change to cshenk then. (first initial and truncated last name). I'll
> ask songbird to come back in. He's the one who recommeded the group.

Ok, back on main group set.

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<jnrkbk-hs81.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=261&group=rec.gardens#261

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 19:58:59 -0500
 by: songbird - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 00:58 UTC

cshenk wrote:
> DELL wrote:
>> Bob F wrote:

>> > I have about 30 "people" on my plonk list for this group.
>>
>> No wonder! I'm going to move it now to my regular prossessing site.
>> They share the same bozobin so that will carry over. Header will
>> change to cshenk then. (first initial and truncated last name). I'll
>> ask songbird to come back in. He's the one who recommeded the group.
>
> Ok, back on main group set.

this group gets so little traffic now that it's rare to
see on topic posts, but if it picks up again i'll reply.

i spend a lot more time reading/writing to the edibles
group instead since that seems to be more of the focus of
my gardening these days.

songbird

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<us9tbm$dqf8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=262&group=rec.gardens#262

From: zer...@umbrellix.net (The Bjornsdottirs - Reinhilde)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:07:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Bjornsdottirs - - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:07 UTC

Of the clearly human posts on it, this newsgroup is the one with the
thinnest rubbish horizon compared to the rest of the soil profile of
Usenet.

I don't really post much in anything rec.gardens only because I don't know
what I would post about with the ground still covered in many decimeters
of snow.

As of Tue, 5 Mar 2024 19:58:59 -0500, in message

--
Reinhilde Bjornsdottir <zerda@umbrellix.net> - Member Switchposters United
for Justice - <https://spufj.trd.is./>

Some people don't like multiline signatures. I kindly request that they
keep their concerns in their own brains. Usenet isn't what it used to be.
The servers are more powerful, have more storage, and have faster uplinks
in even the worst cases. Long sigs can't hurt you anymore.

Re: "Self Seeded" Flowerbed -- Fall Cleanup

<iqadne6jEIvYsXT4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=263&group=rec.gardens#263

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 02:53:57 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 02:53 UTC

The Bjornsdottirs - Reinhilde wrote:

> Of the clearly human posts on it, this newsgroup is the one with the
> thinnest rubbish horizon compared to the rest of the soil profile of
> Usenet.
>
> I don't really post much in anything rec.gardens only because I don't
> know what I would post about with the ground still covered in many
> decimeters of snow.

Try garden planning?

I'm looking at 1 fig tree to join my 3 cherry and 2 apple trees.
Poosbly a 3rd apple tree (pink Lady) which cross pollenates with my
Granny Smith (whi also cross pollenates with the Golden Delicious.

I live in Virginia Beach so not many red types of apples grow here.
That's ok. I like mine just fine as well as the neighborhood kids who
know it's fine to pick a few of the biggest ones for school lunch on
their way to school.