From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Subject: Garden starting!
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 21:22:20 +0000
 by: cshenk - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 21:22 UTC

This is from another group where I'm talking about my seeding plans in
Virginia Beach (zone 8A).

> > I had to look up cucumber raita. Is yours like this?
>
> Sometimes. This one was just yogurt, shredded cucumber, salt,
> and pepper. I'd never add sugar. Shredding the cucumber means
> I don't have to plan in advance.
>
> > Ingredients
> >
> > 2 cups Greek yogurt
> >
> > 2 hot house cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
> >
> > 3 tablespoons lemon juice
> >
> > 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
> >
> > ½ teaspoon white sugar
> >
> > ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
> >
> > Directions
> >
> > Stir yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, sugar, and salt
> > together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or
> > preferably overnight.

That works! I'm about to start my mint seeds along with parsley,
oregano, basil, rosemary and such. We are warm enough for indoor
seedlings or green house.
----------

I have a green house but not yet setup. Someplace next week we get a
break from the rain and I can get it going. It will be small enough I
can take all seedlings inside at need for any unexpected chills.

Later plans use more seeds in rotation finishing with actual seedlings
and lettuce seeds in outdoor containers.

On orger are seed potatoes which will be new for me. Those will go in
grow bags.

Re: Garden starting!

<oFqdnYjNLbZq-nb4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=266&group=rec.gardens#266

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Subject: Re: Garden starting!
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 19:33:11 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:33 UTC

cshenk wrote:

> This is from another group where I'm talking about my seeding plans in
> Virginia Beach (zone 8A).
>
> > > I had to look up cucumber raita. Is yours like this?
> >
> > Sometimes. This one was just yogurt, shredded cucumber, salt,
> > and pepper. I'd never add sugar. Shredding the cucumber means
> > I don't have to plan in advance.
> >
> > > Ingredients
> > >
> > > 2 cups Greek yogurt
> > >
> > > 2 hot house cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
> > >
> > > 3 tablespoons lemon juice
> > >
> > > 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
> > >
> > > ½ teaspoon white sugar
> > >
> > > ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
> > >
> > > Directions
> > >
> > > Stir yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, sugar, and salt
> > > together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or
> > > preferably overnight.
>
> That works! I'm about to start my mint seeds along with parsley,
> oregano, basil, rosemary and such. We are warm enough for indoor
> seedlings or green house.
> ----------
>
> I have a green house but not yet setup. Someplace next week we get a
> break from the rain and I can get it going. It will be small enough I
> can take all seedlings inside at need for any unexpected chills.
>
> Later plans use more seeds in rotation finishing with actual seedlings
> and lettuce seeds in outdoor containers.
>
> On order are seed potatoes which will be new for me. Those will go in
> grow bags.

Putting the green house together today but may not finish. The frame
is laid but roof and shelves not built yet. My husband is doing that
inside then we take it outside.

Re: Garden starting!

<usg9at$1vers$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=267&group=rec.gardens#267

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:08:56 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 00:08 UTC

On 3/8/2024 11:33 AM, cshenk wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
>
>> This is from another group where I'm talking about my seeding plans in
>> Virginia Beach (zone 8A).

>>> Sometimes. This one was just yogurt, shredded cucumber, salt,
>>> and pepper. I'd never add sugar. Shredding the cucumber means
>>> I don't have to plan in advance.

>> That works! I'm about to start my mint seeds along with parsley,
>> oregano, basil, rosemary and such. We are warm enough for indoor
>> seedlings or green house.
>> ----------
>>
>> I have a green house but not yet setup. Someplace next week we get a
>> break from the rain and I can get it going. It will be small enough I
>> can take all seedlings inside at need for any unexpected chills.
>>
>> Later plans use more seeds in rotation finishing with actual seedlings
>> and lettuce seeds in outdoor containers.
>>
>> On order are seed potatoes which will be new for me. Those will go in
>> grow bags.
>
> Putting the green house together today but may not finish. The frame
> is laid but roof and shelves not built yet. My husband is doing that
> inside then we take it outside.

Wheelbarrowed compost, spread it, tilled it, raked it and rolled it flat
for most of my 2nd 600 sq. ft. veggie bed today. One more to go.

Re: Garden starting!

<kpScncZxtvDgOGn4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=268&group=rec.gardens#268

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 19:46:05 +0000
 by: cshenk - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 19:46 UTC

Bob F wrote:

> On 3/8/2024 11:33 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > cshenk wrote:
> >
> > > This is from another group where I'm talking about my seeding
> > > plans in Virginia Beach (zone 8A).

> > > That works! I'm about to start my mint seeds along with parsley,
> > > oregano, basil, rosemary and such. We are warm enough for indoor
> > > seedlings or green house.
> > > ----------
> > >
> > > I have a green house but not yet setup. Someplace next week we
> > > get a break from the rain and I can get it going. It will be
> > > small enough I can take all seedlings inside at need for any
> > > unexpected chills.
> > >
> > > Later plans use more seeds in rotation finishing with actual
> > > seedlings and lettuce seeds in outdoor containers.
> > >
> > > On order are seed potatoes which will be new for me. Those will
> > > go in grow bags.
> >
> > Putting the green house together today but may not finish. The
> > frame is laid but roof and shelves not built yet. My husband is
> > doing that inside then we take it outside.
> >

> Wheelbarrowed compost, spread it, tilled it, raked it and rolled it
> flat for most of my 2nd 600 sq. ft. veggie bed today. One more to go.

What do you plan to grow for vegetables?

Re: Garden starting!

<ut2gt1$2g396$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=269&group=rec.gardens#269

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:08:28 -0700
 by: Bob F - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 22:08 UTC

On 3/15/2024 12:46 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Bob F wrote:

>>> Putting the green house together today but may not finish. The
>>> frame is laid but roof and shelves not built yet. My husband is
>>> doing that inside then we take it outside.
>>>

>> Wheelbarrowed compost, spread it, tilled it, raked it and rolled it
>> flat for most of my 2nd 600 sq. ft. veggie bed today. One more to go.
>
> What do you plan to grow for vegetables?

summer squash, winter squash, pea pods, spinach, lettuce, kale, beans,
tomatoes, garlic, ... + established apples, prunes, rhubarb,
strawberries ...

Re: Garden starting!

<QUSdnQHBZbG9TWj4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=270&group=rec.gardens#270

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 17:00:16 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 17:00 UTC

Bob F wrote:

> On 3/15/2024 12:46 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Bob F wrote:

(snipped a lot, mostly a recipe.)

> > > Wheelbarrowed compost, spread it, tilled it, raked it and rolled
> > > it flat for most of my 2nd 600 sq. ft. veggie bed today. One more
> > > to go.
> >
> > What do you plan to grow for vegetables?
>
> summer squash, winter squash, pea pods, spinach, lettuce, kale,
> beans, tomatoes, garlic, ... + established apples, prunes, rhubarb,
> strawberries ...

Greenhouse up. I'll skip on the kale.

Apples! I have a golden delicious and a granny smith. I crop as many
as 400 apples most years but last year, no crop. Wind storm hit at
just the wrong time and stripped all the golden delicious flowers and
most of the granny smith's. I also have 4 cherry trees but the birds
get those.

Re: Garden starting!

<ut4lv4$30jn8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=271&group=rec.gardens#271

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 10:47:10 -0700
 by: Bob F - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 17:47 UTC

On 3/16/2024 10:00 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
>
>> On 3/15/2024 12:46 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>> Bob F wrote:
>
> (snipped a lot, mostly a recipe.)

>>> What do you plan to grow for vegetables?
>>
>> summer squash, winter squash, pea pods, spinach, lettuce, kale,
>> beans, tomatoes, garlic, ... + established apples, prunes, rhubarb,
>> strawberries ...
>
> Greenhouse up. I'll skip on the kale.
>
> Apples! I have a golden delicious and a granny smith. I crop as many
> as 400 apples most years but last year, no crop. Wind storm hit at
> just the wrong time and stripped all the golden delicious flowers and
> most of the granny smith's. I also have 4 cherry trees but the birds
> get those.

I never count the apples. I measure them in 5 gal. buckets on the way to
the cider press. I bought the house from my neighbor, and he threw the
press in with the deal since I had been borrowing it each fall anyway.
20 something buckets last year, which was a good crop. Most of them
become hard cider. The plums and prunes frequently get dried.

Re: Garden starting!

<EvmdnXXLW_kl6Gr4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=272&group=rec.gardens#272

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 22:59:04 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 22:59 UTC

Bob F wrote:

> On 3/16/2024 10:00 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Bob F wrote:

> > (snipped a lot, mostly a recipe.)

> > > summer squash, winter squash, pea pods, spinach, lettuce, kale,
> > > beans, tomatoes, garlic, ... + established apples, prunes,
> > > rhubarb, strawberries ...
> >
> > Greenhouse up. I'll skip on the kale.
> >
> > Apples! I have a golden delicious and a granny smith. I crop as
> > many as 400 apples most years but last year, no crop. Wind storm
> > hit at just the wrong time and stripped all the golden delicious
> > flowers and most of the granny smith's. I also have 4 cherry trees
> > but the birds get those.
>
> I never count the apples. I measure them in 5 gal. buckets on the way
> to the cider press. I bought the house from my neighbor, and he threw
> the press in with the deal since I had been borrowing it each fall
> anyway. 20 something buckets last year, which was a good crop. Most
> of them become hard cider. The plums and prunes frequently get dried.

How many apple trees do you have?

Re: Garden starting!

<ut7uo2$3pfnk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=273&group=rec.gardens#273

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 16:35:20 -0700
 by: Bob F - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 23:35 UTC

On 3/17/2024 3:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Bob F wrote:

>>> (snipped a lot, mostly a recipe.)

>>> Greenhouse up. I'll skip on the kale.
>>>
>>> Apples! I have a golden delicious and a granny smith. I crop as
>>> many as 400 apples most years but last year, no crop. Wind storm
>>> hit at just the wrong time and stripped all the golden delicious
>>> flowers and most of the granny smith's. I also have 4 cherry trees
>>> but the birds get those.
>>
>> I never count the apples. I measure them in 5 gal. buckets on the way
>> to the cider press. I bought the house from my neighbor, and he threw
>> the press in with the deal since I had been borrowing it each fall
>> anyway. 20 something buckets last year, which was a good crop. Most
>> of them become hard cider. The plums and prunes frequently get dried.
>
> How many apple trees do you have?

2 that produce well, and 2 that give me much less due to less sun. In
less productive years, I have little trouble to find people wanting
someone to pick their apples and take them away for the cider
production. Apple maggots and codling moths are problems here, but don't
interfere with cider production. Just a little more protein.

Planted today - spinach, kale, beets, broccoli, sugar snap pea pods.