Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 17:26:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: please correct the message and comment on the style
From: bubupras...@gmail.com (Prashant Mishra)
 by: Prashant Mishra - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 00:26 UTC

1. Until the process comes successful, esp. from my point of view ,I would not like to share it with anybody.

2. I owe you a debt of gratitude for kindling light of knowledge of Internet and some other things. I am sorry that I felt reluctant to share my process with you. it is not because I felt you would use it but because simply I
want to keep it to myself. Thanks for your forbearance.

I would like to know how the English in the messages above sounds to a native speaker.

is the phrase "a debt of gratitude for kindling light of knowledge of Internet and some other things" verbose or flowery" [ if written to a well known friend]

Re: please correct the message and comment on the style

<20210811164649.c5fbf32a732170e66b71e80a@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2709&group=alt.english.usage#2709

From: antoff....@gmail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 16:46:49 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 13:46 UTC

Prashant Mishra,

Since no one replied, I will volunteer some hasty comments:

> 1. Until the process comes successful, esp. from my point of
> view ,I would not like to share it with anybody.

"comes successful" is hardly correct. Perhaps try "until the process
succeeds." I think your `esp.' parenthesis is better rewritten as
"Until I consder the process successful (or successfully finished)."
If I knew what process you are talking about I might propose a
better verbalisation.

> 2. I owe you a debt of gratitude for kindling light of knowledge
> of Internet and some other things.

knowledge *about* *the* Internet. It is still too vague, though...
"some other things" is bad style after the preceding pompous words.
Try to mainain the same style throughout.

> I am sorry that I felt reluctant to share my process with you.

You should not be sorry for your feelings, only for your actions
(or is it debatable)? Futhermore, if you still refuse to disclose
this process of yours, you ought not to be sorry for doing so,
becuase obviously you consider your current behavior ethical. You
can say, however, write "I am sorry I cannot share my process with
you until I finish it."

> it is not because I felt you would use it but because simply I
> want to keep it to myself.

This is not an explanation, and therefore better specified or
avoided altogether. It may even sound rude in such contexts as
collaboration with colleagues...

> Thanks for your forbearance.

Which meaning of forbearance do you use? Make sure you do not thank
your correspondent for something they cannot choose or have chosen
not to do.

> I would like to know how the English in the messages above sounds
> to a native speaker.

Not I.

> is the phrase "a debt of gratitude for kindling light of
> knowledge of Internet and some other things" verbose or
> flowery" [ if written to a well known friend]

To me, it is.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: please correct the message and comment on the style

<be0531d9-09ac-48ca-af4e-6f8d9c555d62n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2717&group=alt.english.usage#2717

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 04:29:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: bubupras...@gmail.com (Prashant Mishra)
 by: Prashant Mishra - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 11:29 UTC

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 7:16:53 PM UTC+5:30, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Prashant Mishra,
>
> Since no one replied, I will volunteer some hasty comments:
> > 1. Until the process comes successful, esp. from my point of
> > view ,I would not like to share it with anybody.
> "comes successful" is hardly correct. Perhaps try "until the process
> succeeds." I think your `esp.' parenthesis is better rewritten as
> "Until I consder the process successful (or successfully finished)."
> If I knew what process you are talking about I might propose a
> better verbalisation.
> > 2. I owe you a debt of gratitude for kindling light of knowledge
> > of Internet and some other things.
> knowledge *about* *the* Internet. It is still too vague, though...
> "some other things" is bad style after the preceding pompous words.
> Try to mainain the same style throughout.
> > I am sorry that I felt reluctant to share my process with you.
> You should not be sorry for your feelings, only for your actions
> (or is it debatable)? Futhermore, if you still refuse to disclose
> this process of yours, you ought not to be sorry for doing so,
> becuase obviously you consider your current behavior ethical. You
> can say, however, write "I am sorry I cannot share my process with
> you until I finish it."
> > it is not because I felt you would use it but because simply I
> > want to keep it to myself.
> This is not an explanation, and therefore better specified or
> avoided altogether. It may even sound rude in such contexts as
> collaboration with colleagues...
>
> > Thanks for your forbearance.
>
> Which meaning of forbearance do you use? Make sure you do not thank
> your correspondent for something they cannot choose or have chosen
> not to do.
> > I would like to know how the English in the messages above sounds
> > to a native speaker.
> Not I.
> > is the phrase "a debt of gratitude for kindling light of
> > knowledge of Internet and some other things" verbose or
> > flowery" [ if written to a well known friend]
> To me, it is.
>
> --
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Thank you Anton
lets see if any native speaker of english will think of sharing his opinion on the message.

Re: please correct the message and comment on the style

<20210817161924.0600b0ede5100b1e297ff697@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2718&group=alt.english.usage#2718

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 16:19:24 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 13:19 UTC

Prashant Mishra:

> lets see if any native speaker of english will think of
> sharing his opinion on the message.

You can also try alt.usage.english -- a much busier group,
or the Fidonet echo english_tutor . For access to Fidonet
via a newsreader, see https://news.fidonet.fi/ .

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]