From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: Pull the chain
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:19:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:19 UTC

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:22:43 -0700, spains...@gmail.com wrote:

> In our house we still "pull the chain" and listen out to hear if "the
> chain's been pulled". I haven't literally "pulled a chain" for over 50
> years. Any other old idioms that refuse to become out of date?

I've pulled a chain more recently than 50 years ago, though probably not
for the last 20.

And it's probably 15 or 20 years since I last dialled a phone number,
though i still get dialling tone. And it's probably 30 years since I
actually "hung up" a phone.

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Pull the chain

<slrnsheppr.1h47.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2711&group=alt.english.usage#2711

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:48:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:48 UTC

In message <sf7n9o$kj6$1@dont-email.me> Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:22:43 -0700, spains...@gmail.com wrote:

>> In our house we still "pull the chain" and listen out to hear if "the
>> chain's been pulled". I haven't literally "pulled a chain" for over 50
>> years. Any other old idioms that refuse to become out of date?

> I've pulled a chain more recently than 50 years ago, though probably not
> for the last 20.

> And it's probably 15 or 20 years since I last dialled a phone number,
> though i still get dialling tone. And it's probably 30 years since I
> actually "hung up" a phone.

We got rid of our land line more than a decade ago, but less than two
decades ago. I cannot remember exactly when, but we were getting
harassing bill-collector calls at all hours for someone we'd never
heard of and rather than changing the number we simply got rid of it.

It was likely about 2009-10 as that is when our eldest child got a mobile
phone (12yo), though it is possible it was before that. We had dropped
the POTS line ling before that and were using Vonage (a VOIP system),
but there were definite issues with Vonage at the time.

When we moved into this house in 2012 we never considered getting a land
line nor cable TV, and have not been tempted at all in the intervening
years.

--
'Pardon me for living, I'm sure.' NO-ONE GETS PARDONED FOR LIVING.

Re: Pull the chain

<20210814104323.8ff80eaacb95d9dc9a668538@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2712&group=alt.english.usage#2712

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 10:43:23 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 09:43 UTC

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:19:37 -0000 (UTC)
Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:22:43 -0700, spains...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > In our house we still "pull the chain" and listen out to hear if "the
> > chain's been pulled". I haven't literally "pulled a chain" for over 50
> > years. Any other old idioms that refuse to become out of date?
>
> I've pulled a chain more recently than 50 years ago, though probably not
> for the last 20.
>
> And it's probably 15 or 20 years since I last dialled a phone number,
> though i still get dialling tone. And it's probably 30 years since I
> actually "hung up" a phone.

A friend has a retro-look dial phone; but it can also dial # and *, so not actually authentic - the ringtone is very trad UK though, which is what sold it to him. I expect it's just playing this wav:

https://www.britishtelephones.com/wavs/ring706.wav

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Pull the chain

<slrnshg5oo.1mu5.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2713&group=alt.english.usage#2713

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 19:18:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 19:18 UTC

In message <20210814104323.8ff80eaacb95d9dc9a668538@127.0.0.1> Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:19:37 -0000 (UTC)
> Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:22:43 -0700, spains...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > In our house we still "pull the chain" and listen out to hear if "the
>> > chain's been pulled". I haven't literally "pulled a chain" for over 50
>> > years. Any other old idioms that refuse to become out of date?
>>
>> I've pulled a chain more recently than 50 years ago, though probably not
>> for the last 20.
>>
>> And it's probably 15 or 20 years since I last dialled a phone number,
>> though i still get dialling tone. And it's probably 30 years since I
>> actually "hung up" a phone.
>>

> A friend has a retro-look dial phone; but it can also dial # and *, so
> not actually authentic - the ringtone is very trad UK though, which is
> what sold it to him. I expect it's just playing this wav:

I used to use a Bell telephone ringer (505, I believe>) as my mobile
ringtone, but then everyone seemed to be doing it, so I switched to a
dial-up modem dialing and connecting to an AOL POP. Then I switched to a
silent ringtone and stopped answering the phone.

> https://www.britishtelephones.com/wavs/ring706.wav

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Umm, I think so, Don Cerebro, but, umm, why would Sophia Loren do a