interests / alt.english.usage / Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

SubjectAuthor
* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtSteve Hayes
`* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Courtmicky
 +* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtRich Ulrich
 |+* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtPeter Moylan
 ||+* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtMark Brader
 |||+* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtPeter Moylan
 |||`* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtJanet
 ||| `- Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtRich Ulrich
 ||`- Plausible and speciousSteve Hayes
 |`- Plausible and speciousSteve Hayes
 `* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtAnton Shepelev
  `* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtRich Ulrich
   `* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtSteve Hayes
    `* Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtAnton Shepelev
     `- Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme CourtSnidely

1
Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<sdrc4q$tm0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2681&group=alt.english.usage#2681

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 10:39:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Steve Hayes - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 10:39 UTC

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:42:27 +0000, John Doe wrote:

> Right or wrong in their usage of "credible" and "persuasive", the
> authors might have been thinking about the opposite of "incredible".
>
> An example... You arrive late to work. An incredible excuse would be "I
> was abducted by aliens." Your actual credible excuse is "I had a flat
> tire." Their use of "credible" doesn't mean the testimony is persuasive,
> just that it's possible.

I see a clear difference between those.

What I don't always see is a clear difference between "persuasive" and
"convincing".

To me the difference is that you persuade someone to DO something, while
you convince someone that something is the case.

But not everyone seems to use them in that way.

--
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<go2gggtb48aqt7qgb0pgaa5sg9fa0i0jd7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2683&group=alt.english.usage#2683

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 11:13:02 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 15:13 UTC

In alt.usage.english, on Wed, 28 Jul 2021 10:39:22 -0000 (UTC), Steve
Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:42:27 +0000, John Doe wrote:
>
>> Right or wrong in their usage of "credible" and "persuasive", the
>> authors might have been thinking about the opposite of "incredible".
>>
>> An example... You arrive late to work. An incredible excuse would be "I
>> was abducted by aliens." Your actual credible excuse is "I had a flat
>> tire." Their use of "credible" doesn't mean the testimony is persuasive,
>> just that it's possible.
>
>I see a clear difference between those.
>
>What I don't always see is a clear difference between "persuasive" and
>"convincing".
>
>To me the difference is that you persuade someone to DO something, while
>you convince someone that something is the case.
>
>But not everyone seems to use them in that way.

My first reaction is that convincing is stronger than persuasive. After
someone hear's convincing argumments, he's convinced. After
persuasive, he's just leaning farther toward the side argued. I'll try
to bone up on this before my next SC oral argument.

--
Please say where you live, or what
area's English you are asking about.

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<rhehgg9q9e1b5vgef4c41ad76nqs5gud5v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2684&group=alt.english.usage#2684

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 23:51:53 -0400
 by: Rich Ulrich - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 03:51 UTC

On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 11:13:02 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.usage.english, on Wed, 28 Jul 2021 10:39:22 -0000 (UTC), Steve
>Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:42:27 +0000, John Doe wrote:
>>
>>> Right or wrong in their usage of "credible" and "persuasive", the
>>> authors might have been thinking about the opposite of "incredible".
>>>
>>> An example... You arrive late to work. An incredible excuse would be "I
>>> was abducted by aliens." Your actual credible excuse is "I had a flat
>>> tire." Their use of "credible" doesn't mean the testimony is persuasive,
>>> just that it's possible.
>>
>>I see a clear difference between those.
>>
>>What I don't always see is a clear difference between "persuasive" and
>>"convincing".
>>
>>To me the difference is that you persuade someone to DO something, while
>>you convince someone that something is the case.
>>
>>But not everyone seems to use them in that way.
>
>My first reaction is that convincing is stronger than persuasive. After
>someone hear's convincing argumments, he's convinced. After
>persuasive, he's just leaning farther toward the side argued. I'll try
>to bone up on this before my next SC oral argument.

I'll go with, "convincing is stronger than persuasive."

Right now, I am remembering that I have read about shifts
for meaning of a couple of similar words, "specious" and
"plausible" which once were adjectives to hope for.

I can imagine that an earlier century of lawyers overused
both words in exercises of self-praise. I understand
"specious" as looking good but being false. "Plausible"
is what I might have used in place of "credible" as
described above -- not incredible (unbelievable) but
not yet deserving belief.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<seah28$ffs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2685&group=alt.english.usage#2685

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 14:35:17 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 03:35 UTC

On 03/08/21 14:51, Rich Ulrich wrote:

> Right now, I am remembering that I have read about shifts for meaning
> of a couple of similar words, "specious" and "plausible" which once
> were adjectives to hope for.
>
> I can imagine that an earlier century of lawyers overused both words
> in exercises of self-praise. I understand "specious" as looking good
> but being false. "Plausible" is what I might have used in place of
> "credible" as described above -- not incredible (unbelievable) but
> not yet deserving belief.

Does plausible still have its old meaning of "superficially convincing,
but probably false"? It looks to me as if current usage has completely
driven that meaning out.

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<IMydneyim-h8FpT8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2686&group=alt.english.usage#2686

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 13:33:05 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 18:33 UTC

Peter Moylan:
> Does plausible still have its old meaning of "superficially convincing,
> but probably false"?

I hadn't heard that it ever did! The OED Online lists it as "former"
usage. To be specific, after three other obsolete senses, the next
definition given is 4a:

# Of an argument, an idea, a statement, etc.: seeming reasonable,
# probable, or truthful; convincing, believable; (formerly)
# spec. having a false appearance of reason or veracity; specious.
--
Mark Brader "When laws are outlawed, only outlaws will have laws."
Toronto, msb@vex.net -- Diane Holt

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<secoga$3eh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2687&group=alt.english.usage#2687

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:54:34 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 23:54 UTC

On 04/08/21 05:33, Mark Brader wrote:
> Peter Moylan:
>> Does plausible still have its old meaning of "superficially convincing,
>> but probably false"?
>
> I hadn't heard that it ever did! The OED Online lists it as "former"
> usage. To be specific, after three other obsolete senses, the next
> definition given is 4a:
>
> # Of an argument, an idea, a statement, etc.: seeming reasonable,
> # probable, or truthful; convincing, believable; (formerly)
> # spec. having a false appearance of reason or veracity; specious.

Here's the way I see it. If you want to be a politician then you need to
be skilful at constructing specious arguments. You need a plausible
manner if you want to make a career out of cheating old ladies out of
their life savings.

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<uLOdnQ7YXKvRa5T8nZ2dnUU7-THNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2688&group=alt.english.usage#2688

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 21:07:08 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 02:07 UTC

Peter Moylan:
>>> Does plausible still have its old meaning of "superficially convincing,
>>> but probably false"?

Mark Brader:
>> I hadn't heard that it ever did! The OED Online lists it as "former"
>> usage. To be specific, after three other obsolete senses, the next
>> definition given is 4a:
>>
>># Of an argument, an idea, a statement, etc.: seeming reasonable,
>># probable, or truthful; convincing, believable; (formerly)
>># spec. having a false appearance of reason or veracity; specious.
Peter Moylan:
> Here's the way I see it. If you want to be a politician then you need to
> be skilful at constructing specious arguments. You need a plausible
> manner if you want to make a career out of cheating old ladies out of
> their life savings.

Which is true whether "plausible" has its "old meaning" or not.
--
Mark Brader | "Every year this part of our job gets easier.
Toronto | Between Facebook, Instagram, and Flickr, people are

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<MPG.3b748956bcf9b384989aee@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2689&group=alt.english.usage#2689

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 12:24:40 +0100
 by: Janet - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 11:24 UTC

In article <IMydneyim-h8FpT8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>, msb@vex.net
says...

> Peter Moylan:
> > Does plausible still have its old meaning of "superficially convincing,
> > but probably false"?
>
> I hadn't heard that it ever did! The OED Online lists it as "former"
> usage.

I think it still does.

Google "he's very plausible"; multiple examples refer to convincing
conmen and liars.

Janet

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<imvor5FsqlfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2690&group=alt.english.usage#2690

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 08:08:21 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 15:08 UTC

On 8/3/2021 4:54 PM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 04/08/21 05:33, Mark Brader wrote:
>> Peter Moylan:
>>> Does plausible still have its old meaning of "superficially convincing,
>>> but probably false"?
>>
>> I hadn't heard that it ever did! The OED Online lists it as "former"
>> usage. To be specific, after three other obsolete senses, the next
>> definition given is 4a:
>>
>> # Of an argument, an idea, a statement, etc.: seeming reasonable,
>> # probable, or truthful; convincing, believable; (formerly)
>> # spec. having a false appearance of reason or veracity; specious.
>
> Here's the way I see it. If you want to be a politician then you need to
> be skilful at constructing specious arguments.

Yes.

> You need a plausible
> manner if you want to make a career out of cheating old ladies out of
> their life savings.

Bialystock (Zero Mostel) was very good at that.

--
Ken

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<2fdlggpkgdgsbsodgqtb2no6roaicaovvh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2691&group=alt.english.usage#2691

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 11:53:06 -0400
 by: Rich Ulrich - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 15:53 UTC

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 12:24:40 +0100, Janet <nobody@home.com> wrote:

>In article <IMydneyim-h8FpT8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>, msb@vex.net
>says...
>>
>> Peter Moylan:
>> > Does plausible still have its old meaning of "superficially convincing,
>> > but probably false"?
>>
>> I hadn't heard that it ever did! The OED Online lists it as "former"
>> usage.
>
> I think it still does.
>
>Google "he's very plausible"; multiple examples refer to convincing
>conmen and liars.

"Plausible" being bad is the meaning that I was assuming
in my post that brought up the word.

But I can see it as being "former" and/or ironical, while someone
says that the "actual" meaning is good.

The conman can be supremely convincing. At what point, or
after what consideration, does the falsity become clear?

- I was surprised a few weeks ago when I learned that
"purple prose" started out as praise of that sort of rhetoric.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<20210804174851.af26dd04c5fcd7f8de7a0d84@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2692&group=alt.english.usage#2692

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:48:51 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 16:48 UTC

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 08:08:21 -0700
Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:

> On 8/3/2021 4:54 PM, Peter Moylan wrote:
> > On 04/08/21 05:33, Mark Brader wrote:
> >> Peter Moylan:
> >>
> >> I hadn't heard that it ever did! The OED Online lists it as "former"
> >> usage. To be specific, after three other obsolete senses, the next
> >> definition given is 4a:
> >>
> >> # Of an argument, an idea, a statement, etc.: seeming reasonable,
> >> # probable, or truthful; convincing, believable; (formerly)
> >> # spec. having a false appearance of reason or veracity; specious.
> >
> > Here's the way I see it. If you want to be a politician then you need to
> > be skilful at constructing specious arguments.

I've been trained to allow the second 'double l' to become singular, but am reluctant to agree with the first one; however -
https://grammarist.com/spelling/skilful-skillful/
shows I'm still not a native English speler. </Skitt>

I lament the breeding of Llamas in this country (AIUI Lamas are less prolific; maybe it's only allowed at lamastide).

Gosh; wrong again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lama_(disambiguation)

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<imvvpiFu9oiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2693&group=alt.english.usage#2693

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:06:57 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:06 UTC

On 8/4/2021 9:48 AM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 08:08:21 -0700
> Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:

>> > Here's the way I see it. If you want to be a politician then you need to
>> > be skilful at constructing specious arguments.
>>
> I've been trained to allow the second 'double l' to become singular, but am reluctant to agree with the first one; however -
> https://grammarist.com/spelling/skilful-skillful/
> shows I'm still not a native English speler. </Skitt>
>
> I lament the breeding of Llamas in this country (AIUI Lamas are less prolific; maybe it's only allowed at lamastide).

As you probably know

The one-L Lama, he's a priest,
the two-L LLama, he's a beast,
and I will bet a silk pajama
there isn't any three-L LLLama.

But you may not know that Nash was wrong. Three-alarmers are common at
fire stations.

--
Ken

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<6qtnggth8btr5luehamqnsaqj615s5gdrg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2702&group=alt.english.usage#2702

From: mai...@peterduncanson.net (Peter Duncanson [BrE])
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 15:38:11 +0100
 by: Peter Duncanson [BrE - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 14:38 UTC

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:06:57 -0700, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com>
wrote:

>On 8/4/2021 9:48 AM, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 08:08:21 -0700
>> Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:

>> I've been trained to allow the second 'double l' to become singular, but am reluctant to agree with the first one; however -
>> https://grammarist.com/spelling/skilful-skillful/
>> shows I'm still not a native English speler. </Skitt>
>>
>> I lament the breeding of Llamas in this country (AIUI Lamas are less prolific; maybe it's only allowed at lamastide).
>

>As you probably know
>
>The one-L Lama, he's a priest,
>the two-L LLama, he's a beast,
>and I will bet a silk pajama
>there isn't any three-L LLLama.

A three-L LLLama would be ambiguous. Is it a priestly beast or a beastly
priest?

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.english.usage)

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<k9x3gy4dqamr.dlg@mid.crommatograph.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2703&group=alt.english.usage#2703

From: lispamat...@crommatograph.info (Quinn C)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 12:57:38 -0400
 by: Quinn C - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 16:57 UTC

* Ken Blake:

> On 8/3/2021 4:54 PM, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> You need a plausible
>> manner if you want to make a career out of cheating old ladies out of
>> their life savings.
>
> Bialystock (Zero Mostel) was very good at that.

Funny that you'd write that on the very day I watched the Muppet Show
with Zero Mostel. It was one of his last appearances; by the time it
aired, he was dead.

I now hear some say that governor Cuomo is the type.

--
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that
good men do nothing.

Plausible and specious

<6adsgg163nb6vtiqc2ea9eq5amc74ochq5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2704&group=alt.english.usage#2704

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Subject: Plausible and specious
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 09:29:52 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 07:29 UTC

On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 23:51:53 -0400, Rich Ulrich
<rich.ulrich@comcast.net> wrote:

>Right now, I am remembering that I have read about shifts
>for meaning of a couple of similar words, "specious" and
>"plausible" which once were adjectives to hope for.
>
>I can imagine that an earlier century of lawyers overused
>both words in exercises of self-praise. I understand
>"specious" as looking good but being false. "Plausible"
>is what I might have used in place of "credible" as
>described above -- not incredible (unbelievable) but
>not yet deserving belief.

Plausible and specious seem to have swapped meanings with prestigious.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Plausible and specious

<dkdsgg1ava1i6inl407c04n2tqg0okt6qp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2705&group=alt.english.usage#2705

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 09:31:35 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 07:31 UTC

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 14:35:17 +1100, Peter Moylan
<peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>Does plausible still have its old meaning of "superficially convincing,
>but probably false"? It looks to me as if current usage has completely
>driven that meaning out.

I thought that was the current meaning. The old meaning was "deserving
applause".

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<20210809120716.be75fcffeb71dd767976f100@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2707&group=alt.english.usage#2707

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 12:07:16 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 09:07 UTC

micky:

> My first reaction is that convincing is stronger than per-
> suasive. After someone hear's convincing argumments, he's
> convinced. After persuasive, he's just leaning farther
> toward the side argued. I'll try to bone up on this be-
> fore my next SC oral argument.

In my opinion, persuasion is due more to forceful and exter-
nal influence, whereas conviction grows within oneself, even
if with a gentle, Socratic help. One is persuladed by ap-
peal to emotions, passions, and fears, whereas conviction
comes from reason. A sales speech persuades, a pholosophical
treatice convinces.

I now see that 1913's Webster is more convicing than I:

Conviction respects soley matters of belief or faith;
persuasion respects matters of belief or practice. Con-
viction respects our most important duties; persuasion is
frequently applied to matters of indifference. --Crabb.
Conviction is the result of the [operation of the] under-
standing; persuasion, of the will. Conviction is a neces-
sity of the mind, persuasion an acquiescence of the in-
clination. --C. J. Smith. Persuasion often induces men
to act in opposition to their conviction of duty.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<tgi2hglniosmj7hapr8oillbdh5aaoejmm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2708&group=alt.english.usage#2708

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 11:38:32 -0400
 by: Rich Ulrich - Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:38 UTC

On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 12:07:16 +0300, Anton Shepelev
<anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com> wrote:

>micky:
>
>> My first reaction is that convincing is stronger than per-
>> suasive. After someone hear's convincing argumments, he's
>> convinced. After persuasive, he's just leaning farther
>> toward the side argued. I'll try to bone up on this be-
>> fore my next SC oral argument.
>
>In my opinion, persuasion is due more to forceful and exter-
>nal influence, whereas conviction grows within oneself, even
>if with a gentle, Socratic help. One is persuladed by ap-
>peal to emotions, passions, and fears, whereas conviction
>comes from reason. A sales speech persuades, a pholosophical
>treatice convinces.
>
>I now see that 1913's Webster is more convicing than I:
>
> Conviction respects soley matters of belief or faith;
> persuasion respects matters of belief or practice. Con-
> viction respects our most important duties; persuasion is
> frequently applied to matters of indifference. --Crabb.
> Conviction is the result of the [operation of the] under-
> standing; persuasion, of the will. Conviction is a neces-
> sity of the mind, persuasion an acquiescence of the in-
> clination. --C. J. Smith. Persuasion often induces men
> to act in opposition to their conviction of duty.

Huh! Nice.

"That's persuasive, but I'm not sure I'm convinced." -
suggests degrees, rather than categories.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<irmmhgpgc70ho0rmmvihlm3vgqlp1rk4aa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2714&group=alt.english.usage#2714

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:49:55 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 06:49 UTC

On Mon, 09 Aug 2021 11:38:32 -0400, Rich Ulrich
<rich.ulrich@comcast.net> wrote:

>> Conviction respects soley matters of belief or faith;
>> persuasion respects matters of belief or practice. Con-
>> viction respects our most important duties; persuasion is
>> frequently applied to matters of indifference. --Crabb.
>> Conviction is the result of the [operation of the] under-
>> standing; persuasion, of the will. Conviction is a neces-
>> sity of the mind, persuasion an acquiescence of the in-
>> clination. --C. J. Smith. Persuasion often induces men
>> to act in opposition to their conviction of duty.
>

>Huh! Nice.
>
>"That's persuasive, but I'm not sure I'm convinced." -
>suggests degrees, rather than categories.

I convinced my son that the dishes needed washing, and persuaded him
to wash them.

.... sounds more convincing to me than

I persuaded my son that the dishes needed washing, and convinced him
to wash them.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<20210817111142.a60aff9410da9ee770c8740c@g{oogle}mail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2715&group=alt.english.usage#2715

From: anton....@g{oogle}mail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 11:11:42 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:11 UTC

Steve Hayes:

> I convinced my son that the dishes needed washing, and
> persuaded him to wash them.

Had you convinced him, you should not have to persuade at
all.

/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]

Re: The use of "credible" and "persuasive" confuses Supreme Court

<mn.88507e580b891a7b.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2716&group=alt.english.usage#2716

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.english.usage
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 01:20:06 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:20 UTC

Remember when Anton Shepelev bragged outrageously? That was Tuesday:
> Steve Hayes:
>
>> I convinced my son that the dishes needed washing, and
>> persuaded him to wash them.
>
> Had you convinced him, you should not have to persuade at
> all.

He can agree that the dishes need washing, but disagree that he should
be the one to the washing. Teenagers do that a lot.

/dps

--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.