Newsgroups: seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement,alt.law.enforcement
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Seattle Police Officer's Guild president paints grave picture of
officer shortage
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 11:09:04 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 19 May 2022 18:09 UTC

from
https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-police-officers-guild-president-paints-grave-picture-of-officer-shortage

Seattle Police Officer's Guild president paints grave picture of officer
shortage
by Nick Popham, KOMO News ReporterWednesday, May 18th 2022

SEATTLE — The president of the Seattle police union is raising questions
about the number of officers who have left the Seattle Police
Department, suggesting the agency is not being fully forthcoming about
the true number of people who have left the department in recent months.

Mike Solan, president of the Seattle Police Officers' Guild, is painting
a grave picture of the situation facing the city's police department.

"This crisis is going to be a year’s long endeavor to try and get us out
of this hole," he said on a recent episode of his podcast, Hold the Line
with Mike Solan, adding that the numbers reported by the department
aren't telling the whole story. "Maybe there's a mistake there or maybe
they're not as accurate as they could be."

It stems back from the report to the Seattle City Council at the end of
April.

Interim police Chief Adrian Diaz told the council that between January
to March, 43 people left his department, which hired 13.

Solan says that's an underestimation when it comes to departures.

"Year-to-date separations, and this is absolutely accurate, is 60,"
Solan said. "This is a red alert folks. We're providing the accurate
numbers to you."

The union is questioning data showing the number of officers who have
left the department recently.

Solan said the department only has 959 total personnel available.

Police told KOMO News they currently have 981, 842 patrol officers and
139 sergeants.

"I'm not sure how he gets his numbers,” said Patrick Michaud, a
detective with SPD, referring to Solan's data. “He hasn't really shared
the methodology."

Michaud said the department's numbers are provided by the city's Human
Resources Department.

"It's our most trustworthy numbers," he said, adding that the biggest
issues continue to be finding the right candidates to hire and retaining
the officers already in the force. "If we don't have some level of
incentive, it's really tough to go, 'But look!'"

Which, according to Diaz, means officers aren't responding to 911 calls
in a timely manner.

"We need a political narrative shift to keep the current people from
leaving," Solan said.