From: campb...@neotext.ca (Duncan Patton a Campbell on atlas.indx.ca)
Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.politics
Subject: My Policy on Refusing Robo-Calls
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 01:22:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Duncan Patton a Camp - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 01:22 UTC

In the last few years I've received increasing numbers of machine
generated calls from people trying to sell me bridges and self-licking
ice cream cones or inquire about my consumption of Wheaties.

So. If, in the first 300 milliseconds I don't hear a voice
that I can (later?) identify as human I hang up. And I don't
give a shit what you gotta say and if you waste my time I'm
gonna waste your business, whatever it is.

Dhu

--
Je suis Canadien. Ce n'est pas Francais ou Anglais.
Duncan Patton a Campbell

Re: My Policy on Refusing Robo-Calls

<u1ievh$14mp3$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=27508&group=alt.politics#27508

From: fod...@hulu.com (fod)
Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.politics,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: My Policy on Refusing Robo-Calls
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 03:38:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: fod - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 03:38 UTC

On 16 Apr 2023, "Duncan Patton a Campbell on atlas.indx.ca"
<campbell@neotext.ca> posted some news:u1i70q$2io36$1@dont-email.me:

> In the last few years I've received increasing numbers of machine
> generated calls from people trying to sell me bridges and self-licking
> ice cream cones or inquire about my consumption of Wheaties.
>
> So. If, in the first 300 milliseconds I don't hear a voice
> that I can (later?) identify as human I hang up. And I don't
> give a shit what you gotta say and if you waste my time I'm
> gonna waste your business, whatever it is.
>
> Dhu

Impossible to block now since they all randomize numbers.

I used to post on 800 Notes but some asshole "BigA" started accusing me of
lying and marking my posts for moderation so nobody could see them. I
quit contributing to them and post to the do not call site. Suspect they
are getting paid off by desperate robocallers.

https://www.donotcall.gov/report.html

Re: My Policy on Refusing Robo-Calls

<rrb%L.1219322$t5W7.606038@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=27523&group=alt.politics#27523

Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.politics
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:02:16 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:02 UTC

On 2023-04-16 9:22 p.m., Duncan Patton a Campbell on atlas.indx.ca wrote:

> In the last few years I've received increasing numbers of machine
> generated calls from people trying to sell me bridges and self-licking
> ice cream cones or inquire about my consumption of Wheaties.
>
> So. If, in the first 300 milliseconds I don't hear a voice
> that I can (later?) identify as human I hang up. And I don't
> give a shit what you gotta say and if you waste my time I'm
> gonna waste your business, whatever it is.

You never know. I once answered a suspicious call and was very leery
when they made their pitch. It was my ISP and they were offering me free
tickets to a matinee production of Pygmalion at the Shaw Festival. It
was legit.

Most of the time I ignore calls from unknown numbers but sometimes when
I am a little bored I will pick up and listen to their spiel. The aim is
to keep them on the phone as long as possible. I once had a scammer tell
me he was from my internet provider's security department there were
getting virus alerts from my computer. I told him his call had been
forwarded to my cell and I was out in the car but was close to home and
could go back if he needed me too. I then chit chatted with him while
pretending to drive home. I then said he was right.there was something
wrong with my computer. It would not start up. I then told him I saw
what the problem was. The power was out because of the ongoing storm.
But... it should come back on soon. I then chatted some more with him
while pretending the power was out. After about 20 minutes I hung up on him.

I had another interesting call once from ADT security. He offered me a
free security system and installation. I kept questioning him about it
and he said it was all free. What about monitoring it? That was $29.95
a month. I told him I wanted that for free. Nope. I pointed out that
he said it all free so I wanted free monitoring. He kept saying I had
to pay for monitoring and I kept saying he said it was free so I want it
for free. Then it shortened to "I want it for free" every time he opened
his mouth. He eventually hung up on me, but then he called back a couple
minutes later and told me that I was crazy and that I should get some
psychiatric help. That may or may not be true, but the time I kept him
on the line probably saved 20 other people the hassle of his annoying
and misleading sales pitch.

Re: My Policy on Refusing Robo-Calls

<u1jhin$2io36$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=27524&group=alt.politics#27524

From: campb...@neotext.ca (Duncan Patton a Campbell on atlas.indx.ca)
Newsgroups: can.politics,alt.politics
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:28:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Duncan Patton a Camp - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:28 UTC

On Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:02:16 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2023-04-16 9:22 p.m., Duncan Patton a Campbell on atlas.indx.ca wrote:
>>
>> In the last few years I've received increasing numbers of machine
>> generated calls from people trying to sell me bridges and self-licking
>> ice cream cones or inquire about my consumption of Wheaties.
>>
>> So. If, in the first 300 milliseconds I don't hear a voice
>> that I can (later?) identify as human I hang up. And I don't
>> give a shit what you gotta say and if you waste my time I'm
>> gonna waste your business, whatever it is.
>>

> You never know. I once answered a suspicious call and was very leery
> when they made their pitch. It was my ISP and they were offering me free
> tickets to a matinee production of Pygmalion at the Shaw Festival. It
> was legit.
>
> Most of the time I ignore calls from unknown numbers but sometimes when
> I am a little bored I will pick up and listen to their spiel. The aim is
> to keep them on the phone as long as possible. I once had a scammer tell
> me he was from my internet provider's security department there were
> getting virus alerts from my computer. I told him his call had been
> forwarded to my cell and I was out in the car but was close to home and
> could go back if he needed me too. I then chit chatted with him while
> pretending to drive home. I then said he was right.there was something
> wrong with my computer. It would not start up. I then told him I saw
> what the problem was. The power was out because of the ongoing storm.
> But... it should come back on soon. I then chatted some more with him
> while pretending the power was out. After about 20 minutes I hung up on him.
>
> I had another interesting call once from ADT security. He offered me a
> free security system and installation. I kept questioning him about it
> and he said it was all free. What about monitoring it? That was $29.95
> a month. I told him I wanted that for free. Nope. I pointed out that
> he said it all free so I wanted free monitoring. He kept saying I had
> to pay for monitoring and I kept saying he said it was free so I want it
> for free. Then it shortened to "I want it for free" every time he opened
> his mouth. He eventually hung up on me, but then he called back a couple
> minutes later and told me that I was crazy and that I should get some

LOL, seriously ;-)

Dhu

--
Je suis Canadien. Ce n'est pas Francais ou Anglais.
Duncan Patton a Campbell

interests / alt.politics / Re: My Policy on Refusing Robo-Calls