Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.science,alt.politics,soc.culture.usa,soc.culture
From: 26BX...@zoq24q.net (26B.X938)
Subject: Reconsideration of Spending Money Looking For "Alien Radio"
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 22:26:57 -0400
 by: 26B.X938 - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 02:26 UTC

https://phys.org/news/2023-04-silence-reveals-insights-extraterrestrial-life.html

The search for radio signals from extraterrestrial civilizations
has yet to yield evidence of alien technological activity. Research
carried out at EPFL suggests we continue searching while optimizing
the use of available resources.

For over sixty years, amateur and professional astronomers have
been monitoring the sky in the search for extraterrestrial
intelligence (SETI). So far, to no avail. But how should we
read the absence of alien radio signals? Is it time we stop
looking ?

.. . .

Sorry, but it IS time to stop wasting money on deliberate
searches for Alien Radio.

They either aren't out there, aren't anywhere remotely near
or are before/after the point in the tech curve where you
use electromagnetic waves for info transmission. If there
have never been MANY of them then that 'window' becomes
all the more relevant.

Humans are already delving into using quantum effects for
info transmission (some such effects may provide faster-
than-light communications). Face it, light is already
TOO SLOW for human likes and needs.

While drawing conclusions from a single example is risky,
do consider that OUR prime "radio era" may only be about
150 years - a dew-drop in the cosmic bucket. Meanwhile
we are increasingly optimizing our use with more directed
signals, which will diminish what goes out from the planet,
and fiber-optics where the signal never leaves the little
glass strand.

Now we DO monitor RF all the time, for a variety of
practical purposes, plus radio astronomy still has
much to yield. We may accidentally come across alien
signals yet, but spending money JUST to look for
them now seems foolish. Hobby observers like Woz are,
of course, free to pursue their obsessions on their
own dime.

Recent revelations by the US military in particular tend
to suggest "They" - or at least machine-agents - have been
watching US for a rather long time. Multiple photos and
vids of roughly spherical flying objects capable of
almost instantaneous hypersonic acceleration have been
made public. They seem drawn to conflicts and military
installations, perhaps a "documentary" mission. During
WW-2, pilots called them "Foo Fighters" but there are
much earlier mention of such things in the sky.

interests / alt.politics / Reconsideration of Spending Money Looking For "Alien Radio"