From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Carolina Wren
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:33:07 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:33 UTC

South Carolina's State Bird. I see (and hear) them a lot but they
nearly always fly off before I can grab the camera.

https://i.postimg.cc/TPzLCDhM/carolina-wren.jpg

Jill in Southern South Carolina

Re: Carolina Wren

<us2bvl$2jt0m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=281&group=rec.birds#281

From: lfis...@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: Re: Carolina Wren
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:28:17 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 17:28 UTC

On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:33:07 -0500
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
>South Carolina's State Bird. I see (and hear) them a lot but they
>nearly always fly off before I can grab the camera.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/TPzLCDhM/carolina-wren.jpg

Nice!

Wrens seem to be twitchy little birds. Rarely sit still for very long
and seem to sense when something is paying them a bit too much
attentionšŸ™‚

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Carolina Wren

<us2eoe$2kf5t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=282&group=rec.birds#282

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:15:41 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 18:15 UTC

On 3/3/2024 12:28 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:33:07 -0500
> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> South Carolina's State Bird. I see (and hear) them a lot but they
>> nearly always fly off before I can grab the camera.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/TPzLCDhM/carolina-wren.jpg
>
> Nice!
>
> Wrens seem to be twitchy little birds. Rarely sit still for very long
> and seem to sense when something is paying them a bit too much
> attentionšŸ™‚

Yep, they're nervous. But they also pay attention. When things are
calm they sing a lot. When there is a predator they alert the other birds.

Jill

Re: Carolina Wren

<us5nf2$3dhkg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=283&group=rec.birds#283

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:02:42 -0600
 by: super70s - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 00:02 UTC

On 2024-03-03 18:15:41 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 3/3/2024 12:28 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:33:07 -0500
>> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> South Carolina's State Bird. I see (and hear) them a lot but they
>>> nearly always fly off before I can grab the camera.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/TPzLCDhM/carolina-wren.jpg
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> Wrens seem to be twitchy little birds. Rarely sit still for very long
>> and seem to sense when something is paying them a bit too much
>> attentionšŸ™‚
>>
> Yep, they're nervous. But they also pay attention. When things are
> calm they sing a lot. When there is a predator they alert the other
> birds.
>
> Jill

On the plus side they're about the only birds that will nest in my birdhouses.

I hear the male goes around and makes several nests, hoping a female
will roost in one.

I have this steel fence near my property with a Dead End sign on either
side, one time one made a nest on a steel bar between the two signs.

Re: Carolina Wren

<usatga$lnbo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=284&group=rec.birds#284

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 18:16:25 -0500
 by: jmcquown - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:16 UTC

On 3/4/2024 7:02 PM, super70s wrote:
> On 2024-03-03 18:15:41 +0000, jmcquown said:
>
>> On 3/3/2024 12:28 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
>>> On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:33:07 -0500
>>> jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Nice!
>>>
>>> Wrens seem to be twitchy little birds. Rarely sit still for very long
>>> and seem to sense when something is paying them a bit too much
>>> attentionšŸ™‚
>>>
>> Yep, they're nervous.Ā  But they also pay attention.Ā  When things are
>> calm they sing a lot.Ā  When there is a predator they alert the other
>> birds.
>>
>> Jill
>
> On the plus side they're about the only birds that will nest in my
> birdhouses.
>
> I hear the male goes around and makes several nests, hoping a female
> will roost in one.
>
> I have this steel fence near my property with a Dead End sign on either
> side, one time one made a nest on a steel bar between the two signs.

At one time I had a decorative wreath hanging on my front door. A
Carolina wren decided that would be a great place to build a nest. I
didn't know it was there (I generally enter through the kitchen door off
the attached garage). But I opened the front door to go out to check
the mailbox, startled the bird and it flew into my house. I tried but
couldn't shoo it out. I closed off all the interior doors so it was at
least confined to the living room. The next day I was able to convince
it to fly out the front door. I removed the the nest after making sure
there were no eggs in it and removed the wreath. Had there been eggs
I'd have simply not used the front door for a while.

Jill

Re: Carolina Wren

<usb536$n408$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=285&group=rec.birds#285

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:25:58 -0600
 by: super70s - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:25 UTC

On 2024-03-06 23:16:25 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 3/4/2024 7:02 PM, super70s wrote:

>>> Yep, they're nervous.Ā  But they also pay attention.Ā  When things are
>>> calm they sing a lot.Ā  When there is a predator they alert the other
>>> birds.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> On the plus side they're about the only birds that will nest in my birdhouses.
>>
>> I hear the male goes around and makes several nests, hoping a female
>> will roost in one.
>>
>> I have this steel fence near my property with a Dead End sign on either
>> side, one time one made a nest on a steel bar between the two signs.
>>
> At one time I had a decorative wreath hanging on my front door. A
> Carolina wren decided that would be a great place to build a nest. I
> didn't know it was there (I generally enter through the kitchen door
> off the attached garage). But I opened the front door to go out to
> check the mailbox, startled the bird and it flew into my house. I
> tried but couldn't shoo it out. I closed off all the interior doors so
> it was at least confined to the living room. The next day I was able
> to convince it to fly out the front door. I removed the the nest after
> making sure there were no eggs in it and removed the wreath. Had there
> been eggs I'd have simply not used the front door for a while.
>
> Jill

Well that's quite a story but I saw a local one on TV within the past
year when somebody opened their door and were startled by a snake in
one of those decorative wreaths that jumped out at them! Thankfully
they weren't injured just startled thoroughly.

Re: Carolina Wren

<65ea469c$0$4623$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=286&group=rec.birds#286

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 17:58:34 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.birds
From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
 by: jmcquown - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 22:58 UTC

On 3/6/2024 8:25 PM, super70s wrote:
> On 2024-03-06 23:16:25 +0000, jmcquown said:

>>> On the plus side they're about the only birds that will nest in my
>>> birdhouses.
>>>
>>> I hear the male goes around and makes several nests, hoping a female
>>> will roost in one.
>>>
>>> I have this steel fence near my property with a Dead End sign on
>>> either side, one time one made a nest on a steel bar between the two
>>> signs.
>>>
>> At one time I had a decorative wreath hanging on my front door.Ā  A
>> Carolina wren decided that would be a great place to build a nest.Ā  I
>> didn't know it was there (I generally enter through the kitchen door
>> off the attached garage).Ā  But I opened the front door to go out to
>> check the mailbox, startled the bird and it flew into my house.Ā  I
>> tried but couldn't shoo it out.Ā  I closed off all the interior doors
>> so it was at least confined to the living room.Ā  The next day I was
>> able to convince it to fly out the front door.Ā  I removed the the nest
>> after making sure there were no eggs in it and removed the wreath.
>> Had there been eggs I'd have simply not used the front door for a while.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Well that's quite a story but I saw a local one on TV within the past
> year when somebody opened their door and were startled by a snake in one
> of those decorative wreaths that jumped out at them! Thankfully they
> weren't injured just startled thoroughly.

That would be startling! There are lots of snakes around here, too.
Mostly non-venomous. Most people don't think of snakes as being able to
climb but they certainly can. Years ago there was a mated pair of
Cardinals nesting in the pyracantha next to the garage door. I can see
it through a large picture window in the dining room. One day there was
a huge racket out there. I looked out and the birds were battling a
black snake that had climbed up the tree. There were two newly hatched
birds in the nest. Try as they might, the parent birds could not
dissuade the snake. It carried off both babies and slithered under the
cement slab under my house. Those poor birds were frantic. All day
they kept coming back to the nest, calling out. I hate to
anthropomorphize but they were obviously grieving. When dusk fell they
left and the nest was abandoned. I felt bad for them.

Jill