God helps them that help themselves. -- Benjamin Franklin, "Poor Richard's Almanac"

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge roundDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge roundDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10 answers: ancient Rome, challenge roundMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge roundPete Gayde
 `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge round

<ltudnbfTfIezOvf9nZ2dnUU7-RnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2838&group=rec.games.trivia#2838

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 00:59:10 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 5 Apr 2021 05:59 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian

I wrote one of these rounds and 4 questions in the other.

** Game 2, Round 9 - History - Ancient Rome

1. Julius Caesar and his nephew Octavian each renamed a month in
the calendar for himself. What do we call these months today?
(Name both, in English.)

2. Which Roman emperor adopted the Christian religion, not only
for himself but also effectively as the established religion
of the Empire?

3. One longstanding symbol of Roman authority, which not only
continued in use during the Empire but has even been seen in
the 20th century, was the 4-letter abbreviation for the Latin
phrase meaning "the Senate and the Roman People". What were
the 4 letters? Exact answer required.

4. As the Empire declined, it was split into a western section
ruled from Rome (and later Ravenna) and an eastern section
ruled from Constantinople. Name any year during this period
of the two empires.

5. Before the Roman Empire there was the Roman Republic. In an
early form of checks and balances, executive power in the
Republic was normally shared between two men, who held the
same title. What title?

6. In the Roman Republic, the Senate had the power, in case of
crisis, to name a single individual to rule in place of the
two <answer 5>s. What was his title?

7. And what was the title of the men who held supreme authority
before the Republic was established?

8. The first <answer 7> was Romulus, said to have founded the city
of Rome in what year (within 50 years)?

9. The most important Roman book on the subjects of architecture
and civil engineering consisted of 10 volumes written in the
1st century BC by what man?

10. The man generally considered the greatest of Roman orators also
lived in the 1st century BC. In 63 BC he became <answer 5>,
but he later found himself on the losing side of the power
struggles of that turbulent era. What was his name?

** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Numbers

A1. 8 of the numbers between 60 and 100 are primes. Name any
one.

A2. 8 of the numbers between 200 and 500 are squares.
Name any one.

* B. Another "Ben Jonson"

Ben Johnson's parents were thoughtful enough to name their son after
an Elizabethan playwright. These two questions refer to Ben Jonson
(1573-1637).

B1. Ben Jonson was jailed in 1598 and again for a different
reason in 1604 or 1605. Give the reason for either of
these imprisonments, but you must say which one.

B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with B1.
Wbafba'f svir orfg pbzrqvrf jrer jevggra sebz 1605 gb 1616.
Anzr *nal bar* bs gur svir znwbe pbzrqvrf gung Wbafba jebgr
orgjrra gubfr lrnef. "Rnfgjneq Ub" vf abg bar bs gurz.

* C. Albert Einstein

C1. Einstein was born in Germany, but became a citizen of what
country in 1901?

C2. Einstein is best known today for his work on relativity,
but he did not win the Nobel Prize for it. What did he
win it for, in 1921?

* D. Classic Arcade Games

D1. What are the names of the four greeblies who chase the
Pac-Man in the original Pac-Man game?

D2. This vector-graphics tank war game, made by Atari, was one
of the first 3-dimensional arcade games. Name it.

* E. Italian Food

E1. The name of this classic Italian dessert -- made with eggs,
mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso, liquor,
sugar, and cocoa or shaved chocolate -- means "pick me up".
What is it?

E2. This is an omelet, but denser than the whisked, French
version; it is always served whole and round or cut into
pieces. In Florence it is often made with spinach and used
as a sandwich filling. Name it.

--
Mark Brader | "It is, in fact, a very good rule to be especially suspicious
Toronto | of work that says what you want to hear..."

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge round

<XnsAD03B69B742Bgromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2839&group=rec.games.trivia#2839

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 06:07:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 5 Apr 2021 06:07 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ltudnbfTfIezOvf9nZ2dnUU7-
RnNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - History - Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Julius Caesar and his nephew Octavian each renamed a month in
> the calendar for himself. What do we call these months today?
> (Name both, in English.)

July and August
> 2. Which Roman emperor adopted the Christian religion, not only
> for himself but also effectively as the established religion
> of the Empire?

Constantine

> 3. One longstanding symbol of Roman authority, which not only
> continued in use during the Empire but has even been seen in
> the 20th century, was the 4-letter abbreviation for the Latin
> phrase meaning "the Senate and the Roman People". What were
> the 4 letters? Exact answer required.

SPQR

> 4. As the Empire declined, it was split into a western section
> ruled from Rome (and later Ravenna) and an eastern section
> ruled from Constantinople. Name any year during this period
> of the two empires.

400 CE
> 5. Before the Roman Empire there was the Roman Republic. In an
> early form of checks and balances, executive power in the
> Republic was normally shared between two men, who held the
> same title. What title?

censor

> 6. In the Roman Republic, the Senate had the power, in case of
> crisis, to name a single individual to rule in place of the
> two <answer 5>s. What was his title?

dictator
> 7. And what was the title of the men who held supreme authority
> before the Republic was established?

king

> 8. The first <answer 7> was Romulus, said to have founded the city
> of Rome in what year (within 50 years)?

732 BCE

> 10. The man generally considered the greatest of Roman orators also
> lived in the 1st century BC. In 63 BC he became <answer 5>,
> but he later found himself on the losing side of the power
> struggles of that turbulent era. What was his name?

Cato
> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Numbers
>
> A1. 8 of the numbers between 60 and 100 are primes. Name any
> one.

61
> A2. 8 of the numbers between 200 and 500 are squares.
> Name any one.

400
> * B. Another "Ben Jonson"
>
> Ben Johnson's parents were thoughtful enough to name their son after
> an Elizabethan playwright. These two questions refer to Ben Jonson
> (1573-1637).
>
> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with B1.
> Wbafba'f svir orfg pbzrqvrf jrer jevggra sebz 1605 gb 1616.
> Anzr *nal bar* bs gur svir znwbe pbzrqvrf gung Wbafba jebgr
> orgjrra gubfr lrnef. "Rnfgjneq Ub" vf abg bar bs gurz.

"Every Man in His Humour"
> * C. Albert Einstein
>
> C1. Einstein was born in Germany, but became a citizen of what
> country in 1901?

Switzerland
> C2. Einstein is best known today for his work on relativity,
> but he did not win the Nobel Prize for it. What did he
> win it for, in 1921?

explanation of the photoelectric effect
> * D. Classic Arcade Games
>
> D1. What are the names of the four greeblies who chase the
> Pac-Man in the original Pac-Man game?

Shadow, Speedy, Bashful, and Pokey;
Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde

(note: the first set of names above is their official names, and the
second is their nicknames)
> * E. Italian Food
>
> E1. The name of this classic Italian dessert -- made with eggs,
> mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso, liquor,
> sugar, and cocoa or shaved chocolate -- means "pick me up".
> What is it?

tiramisu
> E2. This is an omelet, but denser than the whisked, French
> version; it is always served whole and round or cut into
> pieces. In Florence it is often made with spinach and used
> as a sandwich filling. Name it.

frittata

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge round

<XnsAD036E4457DEBYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2840&group=rec.games.trivia#2840

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 10:50:22 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 5 Apr 2021 08:50 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 2, Round 9 - History - Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Julius Caesar and his nephew Octavian each renamed a month in
> the calendar for himself. What do we call these months today?
> (Name both, in English.)

July and August
> 2. Which Roman emperor adopted the Christian religion, not only
> for himself but also effectively as the established religion
> of the Empire?

Constatine the Great
> 3. One longstanding symbol of Roman authority, which not only
> continued in use during the Empire but has even been seen in
> the 20th century, was the 4-letter abbreviation for the Latin
> phrase meaning "the Senate and the Roman People". What were
> the 4 letters? Exact answer required.

INRI
> 4. As the Empire declined, it was split into a western section
> ruled from Rome (and later Ravenna) and an eastern section
> ruled from Constantinople. Name any year during this period
> of the two empires.

400
> 5. Before the Roman Empire there was the Roman Republic. In an
> early form of checks and balances, executive power in the
> Republic was normally shared between two men, who held the
> same title. What title?

Pares
> 6. In the Roman Republic, the Senate had the power, in case of
> crisis, to name a single individual to rule in place of the
> two <answer 5>s. What was his title?

Dictator

> 7. And what was the title of the men who held supreme authority
> before the Republic was established?

King
> 8. The first <answer 7> was Romulus, said to have founded the city
> of Rome in what year (within 50 years)?

BC 777
> 10. The man generally considered the greatest of Roman orators also
> lived in the 1st century BC. In 63 BC he became <answer 5>,
> but he later found himself on the losing side of the power
> struggles of that turbulent era. What was his name?

Cato

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Numbers
>
> A1. 8 of the numbers between 60 and 100 are primes. Name any
> one.

23 and 29
> A2. 8 of the numbers between 200 and 500 are squares.
> Name any one.

256 and 289

> * C. Albert Einstein
>
> C1. Einstein was born in Germany, but became a citizen of what
> country in 1901?

Switzerland
> C2. Einstein is best known today for his work on relativity,
> but he did not win the Nobel Prize for it. What did he
> win it for, in 1921?

His studies on the electromagnitc field
> E1. The name of this classic Italian dessert -- made with eggs,
> mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso, liquor,
> sugar, and cocoa or shaved chocolate -- means "pick me up".
> What is it?

Tiramisù

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge round

<s4g1va$4nr$2@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2842&group=rec.games.trivia#2842

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 22:11:54 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 5 Apr 2021 22:11 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - History - Ancient Rome

> 1. Julius Caesar and his nephew Octavian each renamed a month in
> the calendar for himself. What do we call these months today?
> (Name both, in English.)

July and August

> 2. Which Roman emperor adopted the Christian religion, not only
> for himself but also effectively as the established religion
> of the Empire?

Constantine

> 3. One longstanding symbol of Roman authority, which not only
> continued in use during the Empire but has even been seen in
> the 20th century, was the 4-letter abbreviation for the Latin
> phrase meaning "the Senate and the Roman People". What were
> the 4 letters? Exact answer required.

SPQR

> 4. As the Empire declined, it was split into a western section
> ruled from Rome (and later Ravenna) and an eastern section
> ruled from Constantinople. Name any year during this period
> of the two empires.

420 CE

> 5. Before the Roman Empire there was the Roman Republic. In an
> early form of checks and balances, executive power in the
> Republic was normally shared between two men, who held the
> same title. What title?

consul

> 6. In the Roman Republic, the Senate had the power, in case of
> crisis, to name a single individual to rule in place of the
> two <answer 5>s. What was his title?

dictator

> 7. And what was the title of the men who held supreme authority
> before the Republic was established?

king

> 8. The first <answer 7> was Romulus, said to have founded the city
> of Rome in what year (within 50 years)?

776 BCE

> 9. The most important Roman book on the subjects of architecture
> and civil engineering consisted of 10 volumes written in the
> 1st century BC by what man?

Vitruvius

> 10. The man generally considered the greatest of Roman orators also
> lived in the 1st century BC. In 63 BC he became <answer 5>,
> but he later found himself on the losing side of the power
> struggles of that turbulent era. What was his name?

Cicero

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Numbers

> A1. 8 of the numbers between 60 and 100 are primes. Name any
> one.

73

> A2. 8 of the numbers between 200 and 500 are squares.
> Name any one.

225

> * B. Another "Ben Jonson"

> B1. Ben Jonson was jailed in 1598 and again for a different
> reason in 1604 or 1605. Give the reason for either of
> these imprisonments, but you must say which one.

killing a man in 1604/5; killing a man in 1598

> * C. Albert Einstein

> C1. Einstein was born in Germany, but became a citizen of what
> country in 1901?

Switzerland

> C2. Einstein is best known today for his work on relativity,
> but he did not win the Nobel Prize for it. What did he
> win it for, in 1921?

his work on Brownian motion

> * D. Classic Arcade Games

> D1. What are the names of the four greeblies who chase the
> Pac-Man in the original Pac-Man game?

Inky, Winky, Pinky, and Clyde

> D2. This vector-graphics tank war game, made by Atari, was one
> of the first 3-dimensional arcade games. Name it.

Battlezone

> * E. Italian Food

> E1. The name of this classic Italian dessert -- made with eggs,
> mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso, liquor,
> sugar, and cocoa or shaved chocolate -- means "pick me up".
> What is it?

tiramisu

> E2. This is an omelet, but denser than the whisked, French
> version; it is always served whole and round or cut into
> pieces. In Florence it is often made with spinach and used
> as a sandwich filling. Name it.

frittata

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge round

<s4itim$c1j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2844&group=rec.games.trivia#2844

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 17:15:16 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 7 Apr 2021 00:15 UTC

On 4/4/21 10:59 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - History - Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Julius Caesar and his nephew Octavian each renamed a month in
> the calendar for himself. What do we call these months today?
> (Name both, in English.)

July, August

> 2. Which Roman emperor adopted the Christian religion, not only
> for himself but also effectively as the established religion
> of the Empire?

Constantine

> 3. One longstanding symbol of Roman authority, which not only
> continued in use during the Empire but has even been seen in
> the 20th century, was the 4-letter abbreviation for the Latin
> phrase meaning "the Senate and the Roman People". What were
> the 4 letters? Exact answer required.

SPQR

> 4. As the Empire declined, it was split into a western section
> ruled from Rome (and later Ravenna) and an eastern section
> ruled from Constantinople. Name any year during this period
> of the two empires.

360 AD

> 5. Before the Roman Empire there was the Roman Republic. In an
> early form of checks and balances, executive power in the
> Republic was normally shared between two men, who held the
> same title. What title?

consul

> 6. In the Roman Republic, the Senate had the power, in case of
> crisis, to name a single individual to rule in place of the
> two <answer 5>s. What was his title?

dictator

> 7. And what was the title of the men who held supreme authority
> before the Republic was established?

rex

> 8. The first <answer 7> was Romulus, said to have founded the city
> of Rome in what year (within 50 years)?

776 BC

> 9. The most important Roman book on the subjects of architecture
> and civil engineering consisted of 10 volumes written in the
> 1st century BC by what man?
>
> 10. The man generally considered the greatest of Roman orators also
> lived in the 1st century BC. In 63 BC he became <answer 5>,
> but he later found himself on the losing side of the power
> struggles of that turbulent era. What was his name?

Marc Antony

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Numbers
>
> A1. 8 of the numbers between 60 and 100 are primes. Name any
> one.

67

> A2. 8 of the numbers between 200 and 500 are squares.
> Name any one.

256

> * B. Another "Ben Jonson"
>
> Ben Johnson's parents were thoughtful enough to name their son after
> an Elizabethan playwright. These two questions refer to Ben Jonson
> (1573-1637).
>
> B1. Ben Jonson was jailed in 1598 and again for a different
> reason in 1604 or 1605. Give the reason for either of
> these imprisonments, but you must say which one.
>
> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with B1.
> Wbafba'f svir orfg pbzrqvrf jrer jevggra sebz 1605 gb 1616.
> Anzr *nal bar* bs gur svir znwbe pbzrqvrf gung Wbafba jebgr
> orgjrra gubfr lrnef. "Rnfgjneq Ub" vf abg bar bs gurz.
>

> * C. Albert Einstein
>
> C1. Einstein was born in Germany, but became a citizen of what
> country in 1901?

Switzerland

> C2. Einstein is best known today for his work on relativity,
> but he did not win the Nobel Prize for it. What did he
> win it for, in 1921?

photoelectric effect

> * D. Classic Arcade Games
>
> D1. What are the names of the four greeblies who chase the
> Pac-Man in the original Pac-Man game?
>
> D2. This vector-graphics tank war game, made by Atari, was one
> of the first 3-dimensional arcade games. Name it.
>

> * E. Italian Food
>
> E1. The name of this classic Italian dessert -- made with eggs,
> mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso, liquor,
> sugar, and cocoa or shaved chocolate -- means "pick me up".
> What is it?
>
> E2. This is an omelet, but denser than the whisked, French
> version; it is always served whole and round or cut into
> pieces. In Florence it is often made with spinach and used
> as a sandwich filling. Name it.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10 answers: ancient Rome, challenge round

<GtSdneaTXpiEEPP9nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2845&group=rec.games.trivia#2845

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10 answers: ancient Rome, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 23:56:57 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 04:56 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian [Inquisition]".

Game 2 is over and DAN BLUM wins by a good margin.
Hearty congratulations!

> I wrote one of these rounds and 4 questions in the other.

Those were the history round and pairs A and C in the challenge round.

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - History - Ancient Rome

> 1. Julius Caesar and his nephew Octavian each renamed a month in
> the calendar for himself. What do we call these months today?
> (Name both, in English.)

July, August. (Octavian also renamed himself: Augustus Caesar.)
4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Which Roman emperor adopted the Christian religion, not only
> for himself but also effectively as the established religion
> of the Empire?

Constantine. 4 for everyone.

> 3. One longstanding symbol of Roman authority, which not only
> continued in use during the Empire but has even been seen in
> the 20th century, was the 4-letter abbreviation for the Latin
> phrase meaning "the Senate and the Roman People". What were
> the 4 letters? Exact answer required.

SPQR. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

That's Senatus Populusque Romanus; the -que ending means "and".
Here's a modern-day example on a manhole cover:

http://a4.pbase.com/o6/93/329493/1/101054677.uaYwbPDd.RomeMay08177.jpg

> 4. As the Empire declined, it was split into a western section
> ruled from Rome (and later Ravenna) and an eastern section
> ruled from Constantinople. Name any year during this period
> of the two empires.

364-476. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 5. Before the Roman Empire there was the Roman Republic. In an
> early form of checks and balances, executive power in the
> Republic was normally shared between two men, who held the
> same title. What title?

Consul. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 6. In the Roman Republic, the Senate had the power, in case of
> crisis, to name a single individual to rule in place of the
> two <answer 5>s. What was his title?

Dictator. 4 for everyone.

> 7. And what was the title of the men who held supreme authority
> before the Republic was established?

King (or in Latin, rex). 4 for everyone.

> 8. The first <answer 7> was Romulus, said to have founded the city
> of Rome in what year (within 50 years)?

753 BC (accepting 703-803). Or, since the Romans counted years from
this event, 1 AUC or AVC (accepting 1-51). 4 for everyone.

Two entrants guessed the same year, 776 BC. That one was the founding
date of the ancient Olympic games.

> 9. The most important Roman book on the subjects of architecture
> and civil engineering consisted of 10 volumes written in the
> 1st century BC by what man?

Marcus Vitruvius Pollio. "Vitruvius" was sufficient. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. The man generally considered the greatest of Roman orators also
> lived in the 1st century BC. In 63 BC he became <answer 5>,
> but he later found himself on the losing side of the power
> struggles of that turbulent era. What was his name?

Marcus Tullius Cicero. "Cicero" was sufficient. 4 for Dan Blum.

ObFiction: "Imperium" (2006), "Lustrum" (2009), and "Dictator" (2015),
a series of three novels by Robert Harris.

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Numbers

As I scored this question in 2009, my wife was watching "Numb3rs".

> A1. 8 of the numbers between 60 and 100 are primes. Name any
> one.

61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, 97. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

If you're going to guess, it'd be a good idea to pick numbers
between 60 and 100.

In 2009 the most common answer was 61, while nobody picked 79 or 89.
This time all three correct answers given were different; one was 61.

> A2. 8 of the numbers between 200 and 500 are squares.
> Name any one.

225, 256, 289, 324, 361, 400, 441, 484. 4 for Joshua, Erland (the
hard way), Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

In 2009 the most common answer was 225, while nobody picked 289,
324, 441, or 484. This time 225 was given, but the only answer
given more than once was 256.

> * B. Another "Ben Jonson"

> Ben Johnson's parents were thoughtful enough to name their son after
> an Elizabethan playwright. These two questions refer to Ben Jonson
> (1573-1637).

> B1. Ben Jonson was jailed in 1598 and again for a different
> reason in 1604 or 1605. Give the reason for either of
> these imprisonments, but you must say which one.

First time: killed an actor in a duel (accepting "murder" or similar).
Second time: collaborated on a comedy ("Eastward Ho") that insulted
the Scots. 2 for Dan Blum.

> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with B1.
> Jonson's five best comedies were written from 1605 to 1616.
> Name *any one* of the five major comedies that Jonson wrote
> between those years. "Eastward Ho" is not one of them.

"Volpone, or The Fox"; "Epicene, or The Silent Woman"; "The
Alchemist"; "Bartholomew Fair"; "The Devil is an Ass". Subtitles not
required on the first two.

> * C. Albert Einstein

> C1. Einstein was born in Germany, but became a citizen of what
> country in 1901?

Switzerland. 4 for everyone.

He once said something like this:

If relativity is proved right the Germans will call me a German,
the Swiss will call me a Swiss citizen, and the French will call
me a great scientist. If relativity is proved wrong the French
will call me a Swiss, the Swiss will call me a German and the
Germans will call me a Jew.

But although possibly true, that's an "improved" translation of the
original version. See wikiquote.org for more.

His next citizenship was US, in 1940.

> C2. Einstein is best known today for his work on relativity,
> but he did not win the Nobel Prize for it. What did he
> win it for, in 1921?

The photoelectric effect. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> * D. Classic Arcade Games

> D1. What are the names of the four greeblies who chase the
> Pac-Man in the original Pac-Man game?

Inky or Bashful, Blinky or Shadow, Pinky or Speedy, and Clyde
or Pokey. 4 for Joshua (the hard way). 3 for Dan Blum.

In each case the first name shown is the commonly used nickname
while the second one is the original official name. You needed
3 out of 4 right to score "almost correct".

> D2. This vector-graphics tank war game, made by Atari, was one
> of the first 3-dimensional arcade games. Name it.

Battlezone. 4 for Dan Blum.

> * E. Italian Food

> E1. The name of this classic Italian dessert -- made with eggs,
> mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso, liquor,
> sugar, and cocoa or shaved chocolate -- means "pick me up".
> What is it?

Tiramisu. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> E2. This is an omelet, but denser than the whisked, French
> version; it is always served whole and round or cut into
> pieces. In Florence it is often made with spinach and used
> as a sandwich filling. Name it.

Frittata. (Not quiche.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Can Geo Lit Ent His Cha FIVE
Dan Blum 36 0 28 16 40 40 29 173
Joshua Kreitzer 8 0 24 20 16 28 28 116
Dan Tilque 40 4 19 4 12 28 16 115
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 20 4 0 24 12 60
Pete Gayde -- -- 12 -- -- -- -- 12

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | I usually sign my name "J O backspace o h n"
msb@vex.net | -- John Chew

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge round

<s4oasa$nf8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2850&group=rec.games.trivia#2850

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:33:01 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 9 Apr 2021 01:33 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
>
> I wrote one of these rounds and 4 questions in the other.
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - History - Ancient Rome
>
> 1. Julius Caesar and his nephew Octavian each renamed a month in
> the calendar for himself. What do we call these months today?
> (Name both, in English.)

July and August

> 2. Which Roman emperor adopted the Christian religion, not only
> for himself but also effectively as the established religion
> of the Empire?
>
> 3. One longstanding symbol of Roman authority, which not only
> continued in use during the Empire but has even been seen in
> the 20th century, was the 4-letter abbreviation for the Latin
> phrase meaning "the Senate and the Roman People". What were
> the 4 letters? Exact answer required.

SPQR

> 4. As the Empire declined, it was split into a western section
> ruled from Rome (and later Ravenna) and an eastern section
> ruled from Constantinople. Name any year during this period
> of the two empires.

300 A.D.

> 5. Before the Roman Empire there was the Roman Republic. In an
> early form of checks and balances, executive power in the
> Republic was normally shared between two men, who held the
> same title. What title?
>
> 6. In the Roman Republic, the Senate had the power, in case of
> crisis, to name a single individual to rule in place of the
> two <answer 5>s. What was his title?

Solon

> 7. And what was the title of the men who held supreme authority
> before the Republic was established?
>
> 8. The first <answer 7> was Romulus, said to have founded the city
> of Rome in what year (within 50 years)?

500 B.C.E.; 601 B.C.E.

> 9. The most important Roman book on the subjects of architecture
> and civil engineering consisted of 10 volumes written in the
> 1st century BC by what man?
>
> 10. The man generally considered the greatest of Roman orators also
> lived in the 1st century BC. In 63 BC he became <answer 5>,
> but he later found himself on the losing side of the power
> struggles of that turbulent era. What was his name?
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Numbers
>
> A1. 8 of the numbers between 60 and 100 are primes. Name any
> one.

61

> A2. 8 of the numbers between 200 and 500 are squares.
> Name any one.

203

> * B. Another "Ben Jonson"
>
> Ben Johnson's parents were thoughtful enough to name their son after
> an Elizabethan playwright. These two questions refer to Ben Jonson
> (1573-1637).
>
> B1. Ben Jonson was jailed in 1598 and again for a different
> reason in 1604 or 1605. Give the reason for either of
> these imprisonments, but you must say which one.
>
> B2. Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with B1.
> Wbafba'f svir orfg pbzrqvrf jrer jevggra sebz 1605 gb 1616.
> Anzr *nal bar* bs gur svir znwbe pbzrqvrf gung Wbafba jebgr
> orgjrra gubfr lrnef. "Rnfgjneq Ub" vf abg bar bs gurz.
>

> * C. Albert Einstein
>
> C1. Einstein was born in Germany, but became a citizen of what
> country in 1901?

Switzerland

> C2. Einstein is best known today for his work on relativity,
> but he did not win the Nobel Prize for it. What did he
> win it for, in 1921?
>

> * D. Classic Arcade Games
>
> D1. What are the names of the four greeblies who chase the
> Pac-Man in the original Pac-Man game?
>
> D2. This vector-graphics tank war game, made by Atari, was one
> of the first 3-dimensional arcade games. Name it.
>

> * E. Italian Food
>
> E1. The name of this classic Italian dessert -- made with eggs,
> mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso, liquor,
> sugar, and cocoa or shaved chocolate -- means "pick me up".
> What is it?

Tiramisu

> E2. This is an omelet, but denser than the whisked, French
> version; it is always served whole and round or cut into
> pieces. In Florence it is often made with spinach and used
> as a sandwich filling. Name it.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 9-10: ancient Rome, challenge round

<98ydnazoFfwTRPL9nZ2dnUU7-anNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2853&group=rec.games.trivia#2853

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 23:35:26 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 9 Apr 2021 04:35 UTC

If Pete Gayde had posted his answers on time, he would have scored
8 points on Round 9 and 12 on Round 10, and would still have finished
in last place but with an improved score of 32.
--
Mark Brader | "What a strange field. Studying beings instead of mathematics.
Toronto | Could lead to recursive problems in logic."