Beware of friends who are false and deceitful.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8 answers: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"Mark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"Dan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"Joshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"Erland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"Dan Tilque
`* RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8 answers: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"Mark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8 answers: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"Dan Blum
  `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8 answers: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"Mark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"

<-aGdnZmIuPsK5_v9nZ2dnUU7-R3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2832&group=rec.games.trivia#2832

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 20:59:51 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 2 Apr 2021 01:59 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 2, Round 7 - Literature - Jewish writers

1. Her books include "The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories" (1971),
"The Messiah of Stockholm" (1987), and "The Shawl" (1989).
Her work has appeared in the New Yorker: """most recently""", a piece
about Anne Frank in 1997. """Her latest book is""" "The Puttermesser
Papers" (1997). Name her.

2. This Italian Jewish writer is best known for the books "If This
is a Man" (also titled "Survival in Auschwitz") and "The
Periodic Table", a memoir of his experiences as a chemist.
He died in 1987.

3. Science fiction has had its share of Jewish writers. Name this
prolific and beloved writer, a Russian-born American who died
in 1992.

4. He is one of the grand old men of Canadian poetry, and many of
his poems deal with the Jewish-Canadian experience. Born in
Romania in 1912, he taught literature at York University from
1970 to 1978.

5. Philip Roth is best known for his comic novel "Portnoy's
Complaint". His first book -- a collection of short stories --
also received a great deal of positive attention when it was
published in 1959. What is it called?

6. And what is the title of Mordecai Richler's first novel, published
in 1954?

7. Born in 1909 in what is """now""" Ukraine, this Montreal-based poet
practiced law, and was the author of such books as "Hath Not a
Jew..." (1940), "The Hitleriad" (1944), and "The Second Scroll"
(1951).

8. Another prolific Jewish science fiction writer, his works include
"Dying Inside" (1972) and the Majipoor series, which began with
"Lord Valentine's Castle" in 1980.

9. Born in Lachine, Quebec, he moved with his family to Chicago
at age 9. This American Jewish writer won the Nobel Prize for
literature in 1976.

10. And now to mystery writers. She is the author of several
books featuring Rina Lazarus, an Orthodox Jewish widow, and
LAPD cop Peter Decker. Her husband is also a mystery novelist.
Give their surname.

* Game 2, Round 8 - Entertainment - "Star Trek" 1990s Style

Incidentally, the punny connection from one answer in this round
to the following question was completely accidental; I didn't even
notice it until retyping the round for posting.

1. In the first episode of "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's
original doctor was killed and had to be replaced by the present
character, the ship's EMH. What does EMH stand for?

2. In Star Trek nomenclature the galaxy is divided into four
quadrants. Which one """is""" the Voyager stranded in?

3. (Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
question 2.) Va "Fgne Gerx" culfvpf, jbezubyrf pna cebivqr n
pbaarpgba orgjrra gjb cbvagf va fcnpr, ohg ner hfhnyyl hafgnoyr.
"Fgne Gerx: Qrrc Fcnpr Avar" srngherf n jbezubyr pbaarpgvat gur
Nycun naq Tnzzn Dhnqenagf, xrcg fgnoyr ol na hahfhny fcrpvrf bs
orvatf yvivat vafvqr vg. Gryy jung vf rfcrpvnyyl hahfhny nobhg
gurfr orvatf, be gryy jung gurl ner pnyyrq va gur eryvtvba bs
gur Onwbenaf.

4. This species is known for its fanatical devotion to financial
profit. When first introduced on "Star Trek: The Next
Generation", they were compared to Yankee traders; """today"""
we see them most often on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine".
Individuals of the species have such charming names as Quark,
Nog, Rom, Brunt, and Zek. What is the species?

5. These people have godlike powers to manipulate space, time,
and matter. They have appeared on several episodes of both
"Star Trek: The Next Generation", including the first and
the last, and on """both""" of the newer "Star Trek" shows.
The species and all its individuals seem to be called by the
same name. What is it?

6. On "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's first officer and
a number of other crew members were previously members of what
rebel organization, first introduced on another "Star Trek" show?
Its name refers to Earth's World War II era.

7. The Voyager's newest crew member is Seven of Nine, who was rescued
from the control of what enemy people? Individuals belonging to,
or controlled by, this species on "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
include someone temporarily named Locutus, as well as One of Five,
later known as Hugh.

8. This species, now mostly seen on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine",
built that space station and formerly were military occupiers of
Bajor. They are devious and pragmatic in the extreme, and their
governments usually authoritarian. Individuals of the species
include Dukat, Garak, and Evek. What is the species called?

9. The Dominion, on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", uses as soldiers
a species genetically engineered for the purpose, whose members
are kept loyal by addicting them to a drug called Ketrasil White.
Individuals of another loyal servant species, such as Weyoun,
command these soldiers and also serve as the Dominion's diplomats.
Name *either* species.

10. One regular character on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" is of the
same species as the Founders of the Dominion, so <both answers
to 9> each treat him with respect despite his loyalty to his
Federation friends. Name him *or* describe the unusual power
his species has.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Anyone who can handle a needle convincingly can make
msb@vex.net | us see a thread which is not there." --E.H. Gombrich

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"

<s45upt$n2c$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2833&group=rec.games.trivia#2833

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 02:16:29 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 2 Apr 2021 02:16 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Literature - Jewish writers

> 2. This Italian Jewish writer is best known for the books "If This
> is a Man" (also titled "Survival in Auschwitz") and "The
> Periodic Table", a memoir of his experiences as a chemist.
> He died in 1987.

Primo Levi

> 3. Science fiction has had its share of Jewish writers. Name this
> prolific and beloved writer, a Russian-born American who died
> in 1992.

Isaac Asimov

> 6. And what is the title of Mordecai Richler's first novel, published
> in 1954?

The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz

> 8. Another prolific Jewish science fiction writer, his works include
> "Dying Inside" (1972) and the Majipoor series, which began with
> "Lord Valentine's Castle" in 1980.

Robert Silverberg

> 9. Born in Lachine, Quebec, he moved with his family to Chicago
> at age 9. This American Jewish writer won the Nobel Prize for
> literature in 1976.

Saul Bellow

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Entertainment - "Star Trek" 1990s Style

> 1. In the first episode of "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's
> original doctor was killed and had to be replaced by the present
> character, the ship's EMH. What does EMH stand for?

Emergency Medical Hologram

> 2. In Star Trek nomenclature the galaxy is divided into four
> quadrants. Which one """is""" the Voyager stranded in?

Delta

> 3. (Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question 2.) Va "Fgne Gerx" culfvpf, jbezubyrf pna cebivqr n
> pbaarpgba orgjrra gjb cbvagf va fcnpr, ohg ner hfhnyyl hafgnoyr.
> "Fgne Gerx: Qrrc Fcnpr Avar" srngherf n jbezubyr pbaarpgvat gur
> Nycun naq Tnzzn Dhnqenagf, xrcg fgnoyr ol na hahfhny fcrpvrf bs
> orvatf yvivat vafvqr vg. Gryy jung vf rfcrpvnyyl hahfhny nobhg
> gurfr orvatf, be gryy jung gurl ner pnyyrq va gur eryvtvba bs
> gur Onwbenaf.

The Prophets

> 4. This species is known for its fanatical devotion to financial
> profit. When first introduced on "Star Trek: The Next
> Generation", they were compared to Yankee traders; """today"""
> we see them most often on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine".
> Individuals of the species have such charming names as Quark,
> Nog, Rom, Brunt, and Zek. What is the species?

Ferengi

> 5. These people have godlike powers to manipulate space, time,
> and matter. They have appeared on several episodes of both
> "Star Trek: The Next Generation", including the first and
> the last, and on """both""" of the newer "Star Trek" shows.
> The species and all its individuals seem to be called by the
> same name. What is it?

> 6. On "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's first officer and
> a number of other crew members were previously members of what
> rebel organization, first introduced on another "Star Trek" show?
> Its name refers to Earth's World War II era.

Maquis

> 7. The Voyager's newest crew member is Seven of Nine, who was rescued
> from the control of what enemy people? Individuals belonging to,
> or controlled by, this species on "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
> include someone temporarily named Locutus, as well as One of Five,
> later known as Hugh.

Borg

> 8. This species, now mostly seen on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine",
> built that space station and formerly were military occupiers of
> Bajor. They are devious and pragmatic in the extreme, and their
> governments usually authoritarian. Individuals of the species
> include Dukat, Garak, and Evek. What is the species called?

Cardassians

> 9. The Dominion, on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", uses as soldiers
> a species genetically engineered for the purpose, whose members
> are kept loyal by addicting them to a drug called Ketrasil White.
> Individuals of another loyal servant species, such as Weyoun,
> command these soldiers and also serve as the Dominion's diplomats.
> Name *either* species.

Jem-Hadar

> 10. One regular character on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" is of the
> same species as the Founders of the Dominion, so <both answers
> to 9> each treat him with respect despite his loyalty to his
> Federation friends. Name him *or* describe the unusual power
> his species has.

Odo

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"

<XnsACFFDA631993gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2834&group=rec.games.trivia#2834

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 02:28:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 2 Apr 2021 02:28 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Literature - Jewish writers
>
> 1. Her books include "The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories" (1971),
> "The Messiah of Stockholm" (1987), and "The Shawl" (1989).
> Her work has appeared in the New Yorker: """most recently""", a
> piece about Anne Frank in 1997. """Her latest book is""" "The
> Puttermesser Papers" (1997). Name her.

Roiphe
> 2. This Italian Jewish writer is best known for the books "If This
> is a Man" (also titled "Survival in Auschwitz") and "The
> Periodic Table", a memoir of his experiences as a chemist.
> He died in 1987.

Levi

> 3. Science fiction has had its share of Jewish writers. Name this
> prolific and beloved writer, a Russian-born American who died
> in 1992.

Asimov
> 5. Philip Roth is best known for his comic novel "Portnoy's
> Complaint". His first book -- a collection of short stories --
> also received a great deal of positive attention when it was
> published in 1959. What is it called?

"Goodbye, Columbus"
> 9. Born in Lachine, Quebec, he moved with his family to Chicago
> at age 9. This American Jewish writer won the Nobel Prize for
> literature in 1976.

Bellow
> 10. And now to mystery writers. She is the author of several
> books featuring Rina Lazarus, an Orthodox Jewish widow, and
> LAPD cop Peter Decker. Her husband is also a mystery novelist.
> Give their surname.

Kellerman
> * Game 2, Round 8 - Entertainment - "Star Trek" 1990s Style
>
> Incidentally, the punny connection from one answer in this round
> to the following question was completely accidental; I didn't even
> notice it until retyping the round for posting.
>
> 1. In the first episode of "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's
> original doctor was killed and had to be replaced by the present
> character, the ship's EMH. What does EMH stand for?

emergency medical hologram
> 2. In Star Trek nomenclature the galaxy is divided into four
> quadrants. Which one """is""" the Voyager stranded in?

IV; III

> 4. This species is known for its fanatical devotion to financial
> profit. When first introduced on "Star Trek: The Next
> Generation", they were compared to Yankee traders; """today"""
> we see them most often on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine".
> Individuals of the species have such charming names as Quark,
> Nog, Rom, Brunt, and Zek. What is the species?

Ferengi
> 6. On "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's first officer and
> a number of other crew members were previously members of what
> rebel organization, first introduced on another "Star Trek" show?
> Its name refers to Earth's World War II era.

Maquis
> 7. The Voyager's newest crew member is Seven of Nine, who was rescued
> from the control of what enemy people? Individuals belonging to,
> or controlled by, this species on "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
> include someone temporarily named Locutus, as well as One of Five,
> later known as Hugh.

Borg

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"

<XnsAD006B4AF7C1CYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2835&group=rec.games.trivia#2835

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2021 10:32:50 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 2 Apr 2021 08:32 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Literature - Jewish writers
>
> 3. Science fiction has had its share of Jewish writers. Name this
> prolific and beloved writer, a Russian-born American who died
> in 1992.

Isaac Asimov

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"

<s4bi5e$c22$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2836&group=rec.games.trivia#2836

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 22:17:33 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 4 Apr 2021 05:17 UTC

On 4/1/21 6:59 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Literature - Jewish writers
>
> 1. Her books include "The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories" (1971),
> "The Messiah of Stockholm" (1987), and "The Shawl" (1989).
> Her work has appeared in the New Yorker: """most recently""", a piece
> about Anne Frank in 1997. """Her latest book is""" "The Puttermesser
> Papers" (1997). Name her.
>
> 2. This Italian Jewish writer is best known for the books "If This
> is a Man" (also titled "Survival in Auschwitz") and "The
> Periodic Table", a memoir of his experiences as a chemist.
> He died in 1987.
>
> 3. Science fiction has had its share of Jewish writers. Name this
> prolific and beloved writer, a Russian-born American who died
> in 1992.

Isaac Asimov

> 4. He is one of the grand old men of Canadian poetry, and many of
> his poems deal with the Jewish-Canadian experience. Born in
> Romania in 1912, he taught literature at York University from
> 1970 to 1978.
>
> 5. Philip Roth is best known for his comic novel "Portnoy's
> Complaint". His first book -- a collection of short stories --
> also received a great deal of positive attention when it was
> published in 1959. What is it called?
>
> 6. And what is the title of Mordecai Richler's first novel, published
> in 1954?
>
> 7. Born in 1909 in what is """now""" Ukraine, this Montreal-based poet
> practiced law, and was the author of such books as "Hath Not a
> Jew..." (1940), "The Hitleriad" (1944), and "The Second Scroll"
> (1951).
>
> 8. Another prolific Jewish science fiction writer, his works include
> "Dying Inside" (1972) and the Majipoor series, which began with
> "Lord Valentine's Castle" in 1980.

Jack Vance

> 9. Born in Lachine, Quebec, he moved with his family to Chicago
> at age 9. This American Jewish writer won the Nobel Prize for
> literature in 1976.
>
> 10. And now to mystery writers. She is the author of several
> books featuring Rina Lazarus, an Orthodox Jewish widow, and
> LAPD cop Peter Decker. Her husband is also a mystery novelist.
> Give their surname.
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Entertainment - "Star Trek" 1990s Style
>
> Incidentally, the punny connection from one answer in this round
> to the following question was completely accidental; I didn't even
> notice it until retyping the round for posting.
>
> 1. In the first episode of "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's
> original doctor was killed and had to be replaced by the present
> character, the ship's EMH. What does EMH stand for?
>
> 2. In Star Trek nomenclature the galaxy is divided into four
> quadrants. Which one """is""" the Voyager stranded in?
>
> 3. (Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question 2.) Va "Fgne Gerx" culfvpf, jbezubyrf pna cebivqr n
> pbaarpgba orgjrra gjb cbvagf va fcnpr, ohg ner hfhnyyl hafgnoyr.
> "Fgne Gerx: Qrrc Fcnpr Avar" srngherf n jbezubyr pbaarpgvat gur
> Nycun naq Tnzzn Dhnqenagf, xrcg fgnoyr ol na hahfhny fcrpvrf bs
> orvatf yvivat vafvqr vg. Gryy jung vf rfcrpvnyyl hahfhny nobhg
> gurfr orvatf, be gryy jung gurl ner pnyyrq va gur eryvtvba bs
> gur Onwbenaf.
>
> 4. This species is known for its fanatical devotion to financial
> profit. When first introduced on "Star Trek: The Next
> Generation", they were compared to Yankee traders; """today"""
> we see them most often on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine".
> Individuals of the species have such charming names as Quark,
> Nog, Rom, Brunt, and Zek. What is the species?

Ferengi

> 5. These people have godlike powers to manipulate space, time,
> and matter. They have appeared on several episodes of both
> "Star Trek: The Next Generation", including the first and
> the last, and on """both""" of the newer "Star Trek" shows.
> The species and all its individuals seem to be called by the
> same name. What is it?

> 6. On "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's first officer and
> a number of other crew members were previously members of what
> rebel organization, first introduced on another "Star Trek" show?
> Its name refers to Earth's World War II era.
>
> 7. The Voyager's newest crew member is Seven of Nine, who was rescued
> from the control of what enemy people? Individuals belonging to,
> or controlled by, this species on "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
> include someone temporarily named Locutus, as well as One of Five,
> later known as Hugh.

Borg

> 8. This species, now mostly seen on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine",
> built that space station and formerly were military occupiers of
> Bajor. They are devious and pragmatic in the extreme, and their
> governments usually authoritarian. Individuals of the species
> include Dukat, Garak, and Evek. What is the species called?

Andorians

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8 answers: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"

<f7OdnRWF8_dTO_f9nZ2dnUU7-IXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2837&group=rec.games.trivia#2837

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8 answers: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 00:57:34 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 5 Apr 2021 05:57 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The easy one -- the entertainment round.

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Literature - Jewish writers

> 1. Her books include "The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories" (1971),
> "The Messiah of Stockholm" (1987), and "The Shawl" (1989).
> Her work has appeared in the New Yorker: """most recently""", a piece
> about Anne Frank in 1997. """Her latest book is""" "The Puttermesser
> Papers" (1997). Name her.

Cynthia Ozick. (Her current latest book is "Antiquities", published
this year.)

> 2. This Italian Jewish writer is best known for the books "If This
> is a Man" (also titled "Survival in Auschwitz") and "The
> Periodic Table", a memoir of his experiences as a chemist.
> He died in 1987.

Primo Levi. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. Science fiction has had its share of Jewish writers. Name this
> prolific and beloved writer, a Russian-born American who died
> in 1992.

Isaac Asimov. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. He is one of the grand old men of Canadian poetry, and many of
> his poems deal with the Jewish-Canadian experience. Born in
> Romania in 1912, he taught literature at York University from
> 1970 to 1978.

Irving Layton.

> 5. Philip Roth is best known for his comic novel "Portnoy's
> Complaint". His first book -- a collection of short stories --
> also received a great deal of positive attention when it was
> published in 1959. What is it called?

"Goodbye Columbus". 4 for Joshua.

> 6. And what is the title of Mordecai Richler's first novel, published
> in 1954?

"The Acrobats".

> 7. Born in 1909 in what is """now""" Ukraine, this Montreal-based poet
> practiced law, and was the author of such books as "Hath Not a
> Jew..." (1940), "The Hitleriad" (1944), and "The Second Scroll"
> (1951).

A.M. Klein. (Ratno is still in Ukraine.)

> 8. Another prolific Jewish science fiction writer, his works include
> "Dying Inside" (1972) and the Majipoor series, which began with
> "Lord Valentine's Castle" in 1980.

Robert Silverberg. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Born in Lachine, Quebec, he moved with his family to Chicago
> at age 9. This American Jewish writer won the Nobel Prize for
> literature in 1976.

Saul Bellow. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. And now to mystery writers. She is the author of several
> books featuring Rina Lazarus, an Orthodox Jewish widow, and
> LAPD cop Peter Decker. Her husband is also a mystery novelist.
> Give their surname.

(Faye and Jonathan) Kellerman. 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Entertainment - "Star Trek" 1990s Style

> Incidentally, the punny connection from one answer in this round
> to the following question was completely accidental; I didn't even
> notice it until retyping the round for posting.

> 1. In the first episode of "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's
> original doctor was killed and had to be replaced by the present
> character, the ship's EMH. What does EMH stand for?

Emergency Medical Hologram. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. In Star Trek nomenclature the galaxy is divided into four
> quadrants. Which one """is""" the Voyager stranded in?

Delta. (They got home in the last episode of the series, broadcast
in 2001.) 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. (Please decode the rot13 only after you are finished with
> question 2.) In "Star Trek" physics, wormholes can provide a
> [connection] between two points in space, but are usually unstable.
> "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" features a wormhole connecting the
> Alpha and Gamma Quadrants, kept stable by an unusual species of
> beings living inside it. Tell what is especially unusual about
> these beings, or tell what they are called in the religion of
> the Bajorans.

They live outside of time as we know it (any reference to unusual
time-related powers was sufficient); the Prophets. 4 for Dan Blum.

And so the accidental pun... from Prophets we go to profits:

> 4. This species is known for its fanatical devotion to financial
> profit. When first introduced on "Star Trek: The Next
> Generation", they were compared to Yankee traders; """today"""
> we see them most often on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine".
> Individuals of the species have such charming names as Quark,
> Nog, Rom, Brunt, and Zek. What is the species?

Ferengi. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. These people have godlike powers to manipulate space, time,
> and matter. They have appeared on several episodes of both
> "Star Trek: The Next Generation", including the first and
> the last, and on """both""" of the newer "Star Trek" shows.
> The species and all its individuals seem to be called by the
> same name. What is it?

Q. (Since this was written there have been additional new "Star
Trek" shows, and the Q have not appeared on all of them. Or not
yet, anyway.) 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 6. On "Star Trek: Voyager", the Voyager's first officer and
> a number of other crew members were previously members of what
> rebel organization, first introduced on another "Star Trek" show?
> Its name refers to Earth's World War II era.

The Maquis (introduced on "Star Trek: The Next Generation").
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

In WW2 "Maquis" was a name for the French Resistance, in turn derived
from the type of land where some of them fought.

> 7. The Voyager's newest crew member is Seven of Nine, who was rescued
> from the control of what enemy people? Individuals belonging to,
> or controlled by, this species on "Star Trek: The Next Generation"
> include someone temporarily named Locutus, as well as One of Five,
> later known as Hugh.

Borg. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This species, now mostly seen on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine",
> built that space station and formerly were military occupiers of
> Bajor. They are devious and pragmatic in the extreme, and their
> governments usually authoritarian. Individuals of the species
> include Dukat, Garak, and Evek. What is the species called?

Cardassians. 4 for Dan Blum.

The best villains "Star Trek" has ever had, I say.

> 9. The Dominion, on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", uses as soldiers
> a species genetically engineered for the purpose, whose members
> are kept loyal by addicting them to a drug called Ketrasil White.
> Individuals of another loyal servant species, such as Weyoun,
> command these soldiers and also serve as the Dominion's diplomats.
> Name *either* species.

Jem-Hadar; Vorta. 3 for Dan Blum.

Incidentally, a recurring Ferengi character, Brunt, and a recurring
Vorta character, Weyoun, were both played by the same actor, Jeffrey
Combs -- on one occasion, both in the same episode. He had a third
recurring role, on "Enterprise", as an Andorian character named Shran,
and also played 5 one-time characters, representing 7 different
species altogether.

> 10. One regular character on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" is of the
> same species as the Founders of the Dominion, so <both answers
> to 9> each treat him with respect despite his loyalty to his
> Federation friends. Name him *or* describe the unusual power
> his species has.

Odo; shape-shifting (anything with "changeling" was also sufficient;
it may not mean the same thing in standard English, but that's what
some characters call him). 4 for Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Can Geo Lit Ent THREE
Dan Blum 36 0 28 16 39 103
Dan Tilque 40 4 19 4 12 71
Joshua Kreitzer 8 0 24 20 16 60
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 20 4 0 24
Pete Gayde -- -- 12 -- -- 12

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "No victor believes in chance."
msb@vex.net -- Nietzsche (trans. Kaufmann)

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8 answers: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"

<s4g1lv$4nr$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2841&group=rec.games.trivia#2841

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 22:06:55 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 5 Apr 2021 22:06 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> > 9. The Dominion, on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", uses as soldiers
> > a species genetically engineered for the purpose, whose members
> > are kept loyal by addicting them to a drug called Ketrasil White.
> > Individuals of another loyal servant species, such as Weyoun,
> > command these soldiers and also serve as the Dominion's diplomats.
> > Name *either* species.

> Jem-Hadar; Vorta. 3 for Dan Blum.

Should be 4, I think.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 2 Rounds 7-8 answers: Jewish writers and "Star Trek"

<GeSdnSdUiZitSPb9nZ2dnUU7-fHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2843&group=rec.games.trivia#2843

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 22:27:44 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 6 Apr 2021 03:27 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > > ...Name *either* species.
> > Jem-Hadar; Vorta. 3 for Dan Blum.

Dan Blum: