April is the cruellest month... -- Thomas Stearns Eliot

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoBruce Bowler
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3 answers: 1976, CanNaganoMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoDan Tilque
 `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoMark Brader
  `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoDan Tilque
   +- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoMark Brader
   `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoErland Sommarskog
    `* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoMark Brader
     `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNaganoErland Sommarskog

1
RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<gOadnS6_0MEkEPP9nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2846&group=rec.games.trivia#2846

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 23:59:37 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 04:59 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Which best-selling author is heading a group that has agreed
to buy the Minnesota Vikings football team?

2. In which city did Bill Gates receive a pie in the face this week?

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 3, Round 2 - History - 1976

All questions pertain to the year 1976.

1. In January, what new and controversial model of airliner finally
entered passenger service with British Airways and Air France?

2. In February, what country broke diplomatic relations with the
UK over fishing rights?

3. In March, what married couple in the British royal family
separated? We need both names.

4. In April, the US government created one *freight* railway company
out of six bankrupt ones, under what name? The six constituents
were the Penn Central, Erie Lackawanna, Reading, Lehigh Valley,
Lehigh & Hudson River, and Central of New Jersey.

5. In May, Canada terminated a pact of cooperation with what
country on the subject of nuclear reactors?

6. In June, Canadian airline pilots went on strike over what
safety issue? Be sufficiently specific.

7. In July, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history struck
what country?

8. In August, the Centers for Disease Control were studying the
outbreak of what sometimes fatal disease among attendees of a
convention the previous month?

9. In September, President Anwar Sadat of Egypt renounced a
longstanding friendship treaty with what country?

10. In October, who succeeded Mao Tse-Tung as leader of China's
Communist Party, and ordered the arrest of the so-called Gang
of Four?

* Game 3, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canadians at Nagano

We name an athlete on the Canadian Olympic team, you tell us the
sport the person """competes""" in. Note, we've made it easy:
we're asking for the sport, not the specific event. (But when
applicable, we do need something more specific than just "skating"
or "skiing".) Some answers may repeat.

*Note*: On this round you must give the answers that were correct
in 1998.

1. Manon Rhéaume.
2. Catriona Le May Doan.
3. Lori Glazier.
4. Kristy Sargeant.
5. Adam Foote.
6. Chris Lori.
7. Stéphane Rochon.
8. Paul Savage.
9. Isabelle Charest.
10. Cary Mullen.

--
Mark Brader | "Of course, another problem... is that famous quotations
Toronto | mutate faster than you'd expect."

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<id8tc2FinvqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2847&group=rec.games.trivia#2847

From: bruce.bo...@gmail.com (Bruce Bowler)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano
Date: 8 Apr 2021 17:38:10 GMT
 by: Bruce Bowler - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 17:38 UTC

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 23:59:37 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-09, and
> should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written by
> members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian the Canadian Inquisition
> (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Which best-selling author is heading a group that has agreed
> to buy the Minnesota Vikings football team?
>
> 2. In which city did Bill Gates receive a pie in the face this week?
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - History - 1976
>
> All questions pertain to the year 1976.
>
> 1. In January, what new and controversial model of airliner finally
> entered passenger service with British Airways and Air France?

The Concorde

> 2. In February, what country broke diplomatic relations with the
> UK over fishing rights?

Iceland?

> 3. In March, what married couple in the British royal family
> separated? We need both names.
>
> 4. In April, the US government created one *freight* railway company
> out of six bankrupt ones, under what name? The six constituents were
> the Penn Central, Erie Lackawanna, Reading, Lehigh Valley, Lehigh &
> Hudson River, and Central of New Jersey.

Conrail

> 5. In May, Canada terminated a pact of cooperation with what
> country on the subject of nuclear reactors?
>
> 6. In June, Canadian airline pilots went on strike over what
> safety issue? Be sufficiently specific.

The requirement to speak French to ATC at Quebec airports (high school
French class finally pays off - unless I'm wrong :-)

> 7. In July, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history struck
> what country?

Chile?

> 8. In August, the Centers for Disease Control were studying the
> outbreak of what sometimes fatal disease among attendees of a
> convention the previous month?

Legionnaires

> 9. In September, President Anwar Sadat of Egypt renounced a
> longstanding friendship treaty with what country?

Israel?

> 10. In October, who succeeded Mao Tse-Tung as leader of China's
> Communist Party, and ordered the arrest of the so-called Gang of
> Four?
>

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canadians at Nagano
>
> We name an athlete on the Canadian Olympic team, you tell us the sport
> the person """competes""" in. Note, we've made it easy: we're asking
> for the sport, not the specific event. (But when applicable, we do need
> something more specific than just "skating" or "skiing".) Some answers
> may repeat.
>
> *Note*: On this round you must give the answers that were correct in
> 1998.
>
> 1. Manon Rhéaume.

Hockey; Curling

> 2. Catriona Le May Doan.

Hockey; Curling

> 3. Lori Glazier.

Hockey; Curling

> 4. Kristy Sargeant.

Hockey; Curling

> 5. Adam Foote.

Hockey; Curling

> 6. Chris Lori.

Hockey; Curling

> 7. Stéphane Rochon.

Hockey; Curling

> 8. Paul Savage.

Hockey; Curling

> 9. Isabelle Charest.

Hockey; Curling

> 10. Cary Mullen.

Hockey; Curling

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<XnsAD06CDD96B1D9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2848&group=rec.games.trivia#2848

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 20:14:08 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 18:14 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 2 - History - 1976
>
> 1. In January, what new and controversial model of airliner finally
> entered passenger service with British Airways and Air France?

Concorde
> 2. In February, what country broke diplomatic relations with the
> UK over fishing rights?

Iceland
> 5. In May, Canada terminated a pact of cooperation with what
> country on the subject of nuclear reactors?

US
> 7. In July, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history struck
> what country?

China
> 8. In August, the Centers for Disease Control were studying the
> outbreak of what sometimes fatal disease among attendees of a
> convention the previous month?

Legionella
> 9. In September, President Anwar Sadat of Egypt renounced a
> longstanding friendship treaty with what country?

Syria
> 10. In October, who succeeded Mao Tse-Tung as leader of China's
> Communist Party, and ordered the arrest of the so-called Gang
> of Four?

Deng

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<XnsAD06B86F71D4Egromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2849&group=rec.games.trivia#2849

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 23:07:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 8 Apr 2021 23:07 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:gOadnS6_0MEkEPP9nZ2dnUU7-
X_NnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - History - 1976
>
> All questions pertain to the year 1976.
>
> 1. In January, what new and controversial model of airliner finally
> entered passenger service with British Airways and Air France?

Concorde
> 2. In February, what country broke diplomatic relations with the
> UK over fishing rights?

Iceland

> 3. In March, what married couple in the British royal family
> separated? We need both names.

Princess Margaret and Antony Armstrong-Jones
> 4. In April, the US government created one *freight* railway company
> out of six bankrupt ones, under what name? The six constituents
> were the Penn Central, Erie Lackawanna, Reading, Lehigh Valley,
> Lehigh & Hudson River, and Central of New Jersey.

Conrail

> 5. In May, Canada terminated a pact of cooperation with what
> country on the subject of nuclear reactors?

France
> 7. In July, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history struck
> what country?

China
> 8. In August, the Centers for Disease Control were studying the
> outbreak of what sometimes fatal disease among attendees of a
> convention the previous month?

Legionnaire's disease

> 9. In September, President Anwar Sadat of Egypt renounced a
> longstanding friendship treaty with what country?

USSR
> 10. In October, who succeeded Mao Tse-Tung as leader of China's
> Communist Party, and ordered the arrest of the so-called Gang
> of Four?

Deng Xiaoping

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canadians at Nagano
>
> We name an athlete on the Canadian Olympic team, you tell us the
> sport the person """competes""" in. Note, we've made it easy:
> we're asking for the sport, not the specific event. (But when
> applicable, we do need something more specific than just "skating"
> or "skiing".) Some answers may repeat.
>
> 1. Manon Rh�aume.

ice hockey

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<s4obi2$uf7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2851&group=rec.games.trivia#2851

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:44:38 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 9 Apr 2021 01:44 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Which best-selling author is heading a group that has agreed
> to buy the Minnesota Vikings football team?
>
> 2. In which city did Bill Gates receive a pie in the face this week?
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - History - 1976
>
> All questions pertain to the year 1976.
>
> 1. In January, what new and controversial model of airliner finally
> entered passenger service with British Airways and Air France?

Concorde

> 2. In February, what country broke diplomatic relations with the
> UK over fishing rights?

USSR; Holland

> 3. In March, what married couple in the British royal family
> separated? We need both names.

Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon

> 4. In April, the US government created one *freight* railway company
> out of six bankrupt ones, under what name? The six constituents
> were the Penn Central, Erie Lackawanna, Reading, Lehigh Valley,
> Lehigh & Hudson River, and Central of New Jersey.
>
> 5. In May, Canada terminated a pact of cooperation with what
> country on the subject of nuclear reactors?

France

> 6. In June, Canadian airline pilots went on strike over what
> safety issue? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 7. In July, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history struck
> what country?
>
> 8. In August, the Centers for Disease Control were studying the
> outbreak of what sometimes fatal disease among attendees of a
> convention the previous month?

Legionaires

> 9. In September, President Anwar Sadat of Egypt renounced a
> longstanding friendship treaty with what country?

Syria; Libya

> 10. In October, who succeeded Mao Tse-Tung as leader of China's
> Communist Party, and ordered the arrest of the so-called Gang
> of Four?

Chou En Lai; Deng Xiaopeng

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canadians at Nagano
>
> We name an athlete on the Canadian Olympic team, you tell us the
> sport the person """competes""" in. Note, we've made it easy:
> we're asking for the sport, not the specific event. (But when
> applicable, we do need something more specific than just "skating"
> or "skiing".) Some answers may repeat.
>
> *Note*: On this round you must give the answers that were correct
> in 1998.
>
> 1. Manon Rhéaume.

Women's Ice Hockey

> 2. Catriona Le May Doan.

Speed Skating

> 3. Lori Glazier.

Figure Skating; Biathlon

> 4. Kristy Sargeant.

Alpine Skiing; Figure Skating

> 5. Adam Foote.

Men's Ice Hockey

> 6. Chris Lori.

Alpine Skiing; Figure Skating

> 7. Stéphane Rochon.

Alpine Skiing; Figure Skating

> 8. Paul Savage.

Cross Country Skiing; Alpine Skiing

> 9. Isabelle Charest.

Figure Skating; Speed Skating

> 10. Cary Mullen.

Ski Jumping; Figure Skating

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<s4ogh2$9g9$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2852&group=rec.games.trivia#2852

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 03:09:22 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 9 Apr 2021 03:09 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 2 - History - 1976

> 1. In January, what new and controversial model of airliner finally
> entered passenger service with British Airways and Air France?

Concorde

> 2. In February, what country broke diplomatic relations with the
> UK over fishing rights?

Iceland

> 4. In April, the US government created one *freight* railway company
> out of six bankrupt ones, under what name? The six constituents
> were the Penn Central, Erie Lackawanna, Reading, Lehigh Valley,
> Lehigh & Hudson River, and Central of New Jersey.

CTX; ConRail

> 5. In May, Canada terminated a pact of cooperation with what
> country on the subject of nuclear reactors?

France; Israel

> 6. In June, Canadian airline pilots went on strike over what
> safety issue? Be sufficiently specific.

unlockable cockpit doors

> 7. In July, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history struck
> what country?

Nicaragua; China

> 8. In August, the Centers for Disease Control were studying the
> outbreak of what sometimes fatal disease among attendees of a
> convention the previous month?

Legionnaire's disease

> 9. In September, President Anwar Sadat of Egypt renounced a
> longstanding friendship treaty with what country?

Saudi Arabia; Syria

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3 answers: 1976, CanNagano

<SJOdnTYIO7jYI-_9nZ2dnUU7-WfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2854&group=rec.games.trivia#2854

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3 answers: 1976, CanNagano
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 04:15:49 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 11 Apr 2021 09:15 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Which best-selling author is heading a group that has agreed
> to buy the Minnesota Vikings football team?

Tom Clancy. I picked this one for posting in 2009 because I expected
some people would be NFL fans and would remember it, but nobody did.
If Wikipedia is correct, the sale was never completed because Clancy
got divorced and could no longer afford the cost.

> 2. In which city did Bill Gates receive a pie in the face this week?

Brussels.

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the history round.

> * Game 3, Round 2 - History - 1976

> All questions pertain to the year 1976.

> 1. In January, what new and controversial model of airliner finally
> entered passenger service with British Airways and Air France?

Concorde. 4 for everyone -- Bruce, Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Dan.

> 2. In February, what country broke diplomatic relations with the
> UK over fishing rights?

Iceland. (The so-called Cod War.) 4 for Bruce, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan.

> 3. In March, what married couple in the British royal family
> separated? We need both names.

Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon (or the Earl of Snowdon, or
Antony Armstrong-Jones). 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 4. In April, the US government created one *freight* railway company
> out of six bankrupt ones, under what name? The six constituents
> were the Penn Central, Erie Lackawanna, Reading, Lehigh Valley,
> Lehigh & Hudson River, and Central of New Jersey.

ConRail (Consolidated Rail). 4 for Bruce and Joshua. 2 for Dan.

> 5. In May, Canada terminated a pact of cooperation with what
> country on the subject of nuclear reactors?

India.

What we were told (I assume it was true, but I've never checked)
was that Canadian technology supplied for peaceful uses had been
used in nuclear weapons development.

> 6. In June, Canadian airline pilots went on strike over what
> safety issue? Be sufficiently specific.

The use of French in air traffic control. ("French" was required.)
4 for Bruce.

> 7. In July, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history struck
> what country?

China (in Tangshan). 4 for Erland and Joshua. 2 for Dan.

> 8. In August, the Centers for Disease Control were studying the
> outbreak of what sometimes fatal disease among attendees of a
> convention the previous month?

Legionnaires' disease (or legionella). 4 for everyone.

> 9. In September, President Anwar Sadat of Egypt renounced a
> longstanding friendship treaty with what country?

USSR (we accepted Russia). 4 for Joshua.

> 10. In October, who succeeded Mao Tse-Tung as leader of China's
> Communist Party, and ordered the arrest of the so-called Gang
> of Four?

Hua Geofeng. ("Hua" was sufficient, or anything close to the
full name.)

Both in 2009 and this time, everyone who answered gave one or another
spelling of Deng Xiaoping. Deng became the country's de facto leader
about this time, but it was a gradual process and he never held the
particular title in question.

> * Game 3, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canadians at Nagano

> We name an athlete on the Canadian Olympic team, you tell us the
> sport the person """competes""" in. Note, we've made it easy:
> we're asking for the sport, not the specific event. (But when
> applicable, we do need something more specific than just "skating"
> or "skiing".) Some answers may repeat.

> *Note*: On this round you must give the answers that were correct
> in 1998.

> 1. Manon Rhéaume.

Hockey. 4 for Joshua and Pete. 3 for Bruce.

> 2. Catriona Le May Doan.

Speed skating. 4 for Pete.

> 3. Lori Glazier.

Snowboarding.

> 4. Kristy Sargeant.

Figure skating. 2 for Pete.

> 5. Adam Foote.

Hockey. 4 for Pete. 3 for Bruce.

> 6. Chris Lori.

Bobsledding.

> 7. Stéphane Rochon.

Freestyle skiing (or moguls).

> 8. Paul Savage.

Curling. 2 for Bruce.

> 9. Isabelle Charest.

Speed skating. 2 for Pete.

> 10. Cary Mullen.

Alpine (or downhill) skiing.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Can
Joshua Kreitzer 28 4 32
Pete Gayde 12 16 28
Bruce Bowler 20 8 28
Dan Blum 16 0 16
Erland Sommarskog 16 0 16

--
Mark Brader | "There is a pervasive illusion in certain quarters
Toronto | that Mother Nature is our friend. Wrong; dead wrong.
| and she loves surprises." -- Henry Spencer

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<s50p8q$2eq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2860&group=rec.games.trivia#2860

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 23:27:37 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 12 Apr 2021 06:27 UTC

On 4/7/21 9:59 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 1998 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Which best-selling author is heading a group that has agreed
> to buy the Minnesota Vikings football team?
>
> 2. In which city did Bill Gates receive a pie in the face this week?
>

> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - History - 1976
>
> All questions pertain to the year 1976.
>
> 1. In January, what new and controversial model of airliner finally
> entered passenger service with British Airways and Air France?

Concorde

> 2. In February, what country broke diplomatic relations with the
> UK over fishing rights?

Iceland

> 3. In March, what married couple in the British royal family
> separated? We need both names.
>
> 4. In April, the US government created one *freight* railway company
> out of six bankrupt ones, under what name? The six constituents
> were the Penn Central, Erie Lackawanna, Reading, Lehigh Valley,
> Lehigh & Hudson River, and Central of New Jersey.

Penn Central

> 5. In May, Canada terminated a pact of cooperation with what
> country on the subject of nuclear reactors?
>
> 6. In June, Canadian airline pilots went on strike over what
> safety issue? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 7. In July, one of the deadliest earthquakes in history struck
> what country?

China

> 8. In August, the Centers for Disease Control were studying the
> outbreak of what sometimes fatal disease among attendees of a
> convention the previous month?

Legionaire's Disease

> 9. In September, President Anwar Sadat of Egypt renounced a
> longstanding friendship treaty with what country?

Israel

> 10. In October, who succeeded Mao Tse-Tung as leader of China's
> Communist Party, and ordered the arrest of the so-called Gang
> of Four?

Chou Enlai

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<fJudnU7irK0Kcu79nZ2dnUU7-b_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2861&group=rec.games.trivia#2861

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 01:58:31 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 12 Apr 2021 06:58 UTC

If Dan Tilque had posted his answers on time, he would have scored
16 points on Round 2 and 0 on Round 3, for a total of 16, and this
would be tied at this point for 4th/6th place. And I would have
wondered aloud how he came to the guess that the Penn Central RR was
formed from six bankrupt railroads, one of which was the Penn Central.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable
msb@vex.net | from a feature." -- Rich Kulawiec (after Clarke)

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<s52uj0$kb4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2862&group=rec.games.trivia#2862

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 19:10:39 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 13 Apr 2021 02:10 UTC

On 4/11/21 11:58 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> And I would have
> wondered aloud how he came to the guess that the Penn Central RR was
> formed from six bankrupt railroads, one of which was the Penn Central.

When you merge companies, there's absolutely no requirement that the
successor company take an entirely new name. In fact, taking a new name
is an exception; keeping the name of one of the predecessors is most common.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<UYidnRYoptXHlej9nZ2dnUU7-bPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2863&group=rec.games.trivia#2863

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 21:56:26 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 13 Apr 2021 02:56 UTC

Mark Brader:
>> And I would have
>> wondered aloud how he came to the guess that the Penn Central RR was
>> formed from six bankrupt railroads, one of which was the Penn Central.

Dan Tilque:
> When you merge companies, there's absolutely no requirement that the
> successor company take an entirely new name.

True, but the question would've been worded differently if it hadn't.

> In fact, taking a new name is an exception; keeping the name of one
> of the predecessors is most common.

In the analogous event in Canada just after World War I, the successor
took a new name but with the same initials as one of its predecessors.
I refer, of course, to the Canadian Northern Railway and the Canadian
National Railways (now Railway since it got reprivatized). If the
Canadian Northern is mentioned in a context where initials would
normally be used, today it's refendered as "C.No.R."
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Most people are other people. Their thoughts
msb@vex.net | are someone else's opinions..." --Oscar Wilde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<XnsAD0BD5C44E777Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2866&group=rec.games.trivia#2866

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 21:00:50 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 13 Apr 2021 19:00 UTC

Dan Tilque (dtilque@frontier.com) writes:
> When you merge companies, there's absolutely no requirement that the
> successor company take an entirely new name. In fact, taking a new name
> is an exception; keeping the name of one of the predecessors is most
> common.

True merges often result in some compound that not always is that fantastic.

Swedish Asea and Swiss Brown-Boveri merged, and they are ABB today. Asea
itself as also an abbreviation.

Many years ago the Finnish IT corporation bought its Swedish competitor
Enator, which was quite hip in those days, and the result was TietoEnator.
After quite a few years, Tieto got themselves together and cleaned up
their brand and reverted to callin themselves Tieto (which means "knowledge"
in Finnish.) But around two years ago, they bought the Norwegian giant
Evry, and now they are TietoEVRY. Sigh.

And sometimes the buyer takes the name of the company they buy, typically
because that name is a stronger brand. I know of at least one case from the
Swedish market, but there are surely more.

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<eZydnYVz8NeMnOv9nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2867&group=rec.games.trivia#2867

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 15:37:37 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 13 Apr 2021 20:37 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
> True merges often result in some compound that not always is that fantastic.
>
> Swedish Asea and Swiss Brown-Boveri merged, and they are ABB today. Asea
> itself as also an abbreviation.

I always thought that when North Central Airlines merged with Southern
Airways, the name North Central & Southern should've been irresistible
and the only thing to decide should've been which word for "airline" to
use. But in fact they decided to become Republic Airlines.

A few years later they merged with Northwest Airlines, which thus
missed their opportunity to become North Northwest Central & Southern.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Not looking like Pascal is not
msb@vex.net a language deficiency!" -- Doug Gwyn

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 3 Rounds 2-3: 1976, CanNagano

<XnsAD0BE77C06B63Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2868&group=rec.games.trivia#2868

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 22:45:21 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 13 Apr 2021 20:45 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> A few years later they merged with Northwest Airlines, which thus
> missed their opportunity to become North Northwest Central & Southern.

And now its all Delta anyway.