From: now...@protonmail.com (Lock Him Up & Throw Away The Key!)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics,alt.atheism,soc.retirement,talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc
Subject: Good News! GOP-led Texas House panel issues 20 impeachment counts against state Attorney General "Corrupt Ken" Paxton
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 15:31:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lock Him Up & Th - Fri, 26 May 2023 15:31 UTC

GOP-led Texas House panel issues 20 impeachment counts against state
Attorney General Ken Paxton

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) � Following years of scandal, criminal charges and
corruption accusations, Texas's Republican Attorney General, Ken Paxton,
finds himself on the brink of impeachment, and a GOP-led panel is heading
the charge.

In an unanimous decision, a Republican-led House investigative committee
that spent months quietly looking into Paxton recommended impeaching the
state's top lawyer Thursday on 20 articles, including bribery, unfitness
for office and abuse of public trust.

The House could vote on the recommendation as soon as Friday. If it
impeaches Paxton, he would be forced to leave office immediately.

The move sets up what could be a remarkably sudden downfall for one of the
GOP's most prominent legal combatants, who in 2020 asked the U.S. Supreme
Court to overturn President Joe Biden's victory. Only two officials in
Texas� nearly 200-year history have been impeached.

Paxton has been under FBI investigation for years over accusations that he
used his office to help a donor. He was separately indicted on securities
fraud charges in 2015, but has yet to stand trial.

When the five-member committee's investigation came to light Tuesday,
Paxton suggested it was a political attack by the House's �liberal�
Republican speaker, Dade Phelan. He called for Phelan�s resignation and
accused him of being drunk during a marathon session last Friday. Phelan�s
office brushed off the accusation as Paxton attempting to �save face.�

�It's is a sad day for Texas as we witness the corrupt political
establishment unite in this illegitimate attempt to overthrow the will of
the people and disenfranchise the voters of our state,� Paxton said in a
statement Thursday, calling the committee�s findings �hearsay and gossip,
parroting long-disproven claims.�

By moving against him, Paxton said, �The RINOs in the Texas Legislature
are now on the same side as Joe Biden.�

Impeachment requires a majority vote of the state�s usually 150-member
House chamber, which Republicans now control 85-64, since a GOP
representative resigned ahead of an expected vote to expel him.

It�s unclear how many supporters Paxton may have in the House, where he
served five terms before becoming a state senator. Since the prospect of
impeachment suddenly emerged Wednesday, none of Texas' other top
Republicans have voiced support for Paxton.

The articles of impeachment issued by the investigative committee, which
include three Republicans and two Democrats, stem largely from Paxton�s
relationship with one of his wealthy donors. They deal heavily with
Paxton's alleged efforts to protect the donor from an FBI investigation
and his attempts to thwart whistleblower complaints brought by his own
staff.

The timing of a vote by the House is unclear. Rep. Andrew Murr, the
Republican chair of the investigative committee, said he did not have a
timeline and Phelan�s office declined to comment.

Unlike in Congress, impeachment in Texas requires immediate removal from
office until a trial is held in the Senate. Republican Gov. Greg Abbott
could appoint an interim replacement. Abbott's office did not respond to
requests for comment on the impeachment counts.

Final removal would require two-thirds support in the Senate, where
Paxton�s wife�s, Angela, is a member. Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, a Republican
and leader of the Senate, did not respond to requests for comment.

Paxton, 60, faces ouster at the hands of GOP lawmakers just seven months
after easily winning a third term over challengers � among them George P.
Bush � who had urged voters to reject a compromised incumbent but
discovered that many didn't know about Paxton's litany of alleged misdeeds
or dismissed the accusations as political attacks.

The attorney general characterized his potential impeachment as �a
critical moment for the rule of law and will of Texas voters.�

Even with Monday�s end of the regular session approaching, state law
allows the House to keep working on impeachment proceedings. It also could
call itself back into session later. The Senate has the same options.

In one sense, Paxton's political peril arrived with dizzying speed: The
House committee investigation came to light Tuesday, followed the next day
by an extraordinary public airing of alleged criminal acts he committed as
one of Texas' most powerful figures.

But to Paxton's detractors, who now include a widening share of his own
party in the Texas Capitol, the rebuke was years in the making.

In 2014, he admitted to violating Texas securities law over not
registering as an investment advisor while soliciting clients. A year
later, Paxton was indicted on felony securities charges by a grand jury in
his hometown near Dallas, where he was accused of defrauding investors in
a tech startup. He has pleaded not guilty to two felony counts carrying a
potential sentence of five to 99 years in prison.

He opened a legal defense fund and accepted $100,000 from an executive
whose company was under investigation by Paxton's office for Medicaid
fraud. An additional $50,000 was donated by an Arizona retiree whose son
Paxton later hired to a high-ranking job but was soon fired after trying
to make a point by displaying child pornography in a meeting.

But what has unleashed the most serious risk to Paxton is his relationship
with another wealthy donor, Austin real estate developer Nate Paul.

Several of Paxton's top aides in 2020 told the FBI that they had became
concerned the attorney general was misusing the powers of his office to
help Paul over unproven claims that an elaborate conspiracy to steal $200
million of his properties was afoot. The FBI searched Paul's home in 2019
but he has not been charged and his attorneys have denied wrongdoing.
Paxton also told staff members that he had an affair with a woman who, it
later emerged, worked for Paul.

The impeachment charges cover myriad accusations related to Paxton�s
dealings with Paul. The allegations include attempts to interfere in
foreclosure lawsuits and improperly issuing legal opinions to benefit
Paul, and firing, harassing and interfering with staff who reported what
was going on. The bribery charges stem from Paul allegedly employing the
woman with whom Paxton had an affair in exchange for legal help and Paul
allegedly paying for expensive renovations to Paxton's Austin home.

Other charges date back to Paxton�s still-pending 2015 felony securities
fraud indictment, including lying to state investigators.

The eight aides who reported Paxton to the FBI were all fired or quit, and
four later sued under Texas' whistleblower law, In February, Paxton agreed
to settle the case for $3.3 million. But the Texas House must approve the
payout and Phelan has said he doesn't think taxpayers should foot the
bill.

Shortly after the settlement was reached, the House investigation into
Paxton began. The probe amounted to rare scrutiny of Paxton in the state
Capitol, where many Republicans have long taken a muted posture about the
accusations that have dogged him.

Only twice has the Texas House impeached a sitting official: Gov. James
Ferguson in 1917 and state Judge O.P. Carrillo in 1975.

Re: Good News! GOP-led Texas House panel issues 20 impeachment counts against state Attorney General "Corrupt Ken" Paxton

<iop27i9po320499jum4tc848gvoo436pbm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=28759&group=alt.politics#28759

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics,alt.atheism,soc.retirement,talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 22:12:56 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Sat, 27 May 2023 02:12 UTC

On Fri, 26 May 2023 15:31:24 -0000 (UTC), "Lock Him Up & Throw Away The Key!"
<nowomr@protonmail.com> wrote:

Maybe there is some honor and integrity left in the GOP.

Swill

--
Democrats make me feel ashamed of being American.
Republicans make me feel ashamed of being human.

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine! Putin is a condom!

Re: Good News! GOP-led Texas House panel issues 20 impeachment counts against state Attorney General "Corrupt Ken" Paxton

<loteM.7023117$SIb3.2467996@fx05.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=28974&group=alt.politics#28974

From: NoO...@private.corp (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.politics
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 21:43:45 GMT
 by: John Doe - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 21:43 UTC

> Governor Swill wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 May 2023 15:31:24 -0000 (UTC), "Lock Him Up & Throw Away The
> > Key!"
> > <nowomr@protonmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe there is some honor and integrity left in the GOP.
>
> If that were true it would not have taken them YEARS. Things got
> so bad it was reflecting on other republicans, that's all.

Sad but true. All indications are this is not so much GOP house-cleaning but the result of power struggles and conflicts among GOP members.

> > > GOP-led Texas House panel issues 20 impeachment counts against state
> > > Attorney General Ken Paxton
> > >

> > > AUSTIN, Texas (AP) � Following years of scandal, criminal charges and
> > > corruption accusations, Texas's Republican Attorney General, Ken Paxton,
> > > finds himself on the brink of impeachment, and a GOP-led panel is heading
> > > the charge.

Re: Good News! GOP-led Texas House panel issues 20 impeachment counts against state Attorney General "Corrupt Ken" Paxton

<u5dnkh$39q8g$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=28977&group=alt.politics#28977

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Gronk)
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics,alt.atheism,soc.retirement,talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc
Subject: Re: Good News! GOP-led Texas House panel issues 20 impeachment counts
against state Attorney General "Corrupt Ken" Paxton
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 15:40:33 -0600
 by: Gronk - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 21:40 UTC

Governor Swill wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2023 15:31:24 -0000 (UTC), "Lock Him Up & Throw Away The Key!"
> <nowomr@protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe there is some honor and integrity left in the GOP.

If that were true it would not have taken them YEARS. Things got
so bad it was reflecting on other republicans, that's all.

>> GOP-led Texas House panel issues 20 impeachment counts against state
>> Attorney General Ken Paxton
>>

>> AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Following years of scandal, criminal charges and
>> corruption accusations, Texas's Republican Attorney General, Ken Paxton,
>> finds himself on the brink of impeachment, and a GOP-led panel is heading
>> the charge.

Re: Good News! GOP-led Texas House panel issues 20 impeachment counts against state Attorney General "Corrupt Ken" Paxton

<ldacnXtYdrbdDuf5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=28978&group=alt.politics#28978

against state Attorney General "Corrupt Ken" Paxton
Newsgroups: alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics,alt.atheism,talk.politics.guns,talk.politics.misc
From: 24D...@tpq22b.net (24D.224)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 21:11:13 -0400
 by: 24D.224 - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 01:11 UTC

On 6/2/23 5:40 PM, Gronk wrote:
> Governor Swill wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 May 2023 15:31:24 -0000 (UTC), "Lock Him Up & Throw Away
>> The Key!"
>> <nowomr@protonmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe there is some honor and integrity left in the GOP.
>
> If that were true it would not have taken them YEARS. Things got
> so bad it was reflecting on other republicans, that's all.

Ummm ... you'll get old and go blind before you find
much in the way of ethics in politics. That's not
what it's about - despite those nice old movies.
At the higher end, politics is a POWER MACHINE and
everybody either pulls the right levers or gets
put OUT.

Ken Paxon forgot to pull a few levers, especially the
'discretion' lever. Likely he was also screwing the
others out of their unjust rewards and got sloppy.

Actually a fair rationale for something closer to
the Libertarians version of govt - small close
local govt is more likely to be good govt ... and
any baddies can only do just SO much larger scale
damage.