What the world *really* needs is a good Automatic Bicycle Sharpener.

interests / rec.food.cooking / Dinner 10/20/23

SubjectAuthor
* Dinner 10/20/23jmcquown
+* Re: Dinner 10/20/23Dave Smith
|+* Re: Dinner 10/20/23Ed P
||`* Re: Dinner 10/20/23Bruce
|| `- Re: Dinner 10/20/23Ed P
|`* Re: Dinner 10/20/23Leonard Blaisdell
| `* Re: Dinner 10/20/23Hank Rogers
|  +- Re: Dinner 10/20/23Bryan Simmons
|  `- Re: Dinner 10/20/23Michael Trew
+* Re: Dinner 10/20/23Ed P
+* Re: Dinner 10/20/23itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net
|`- Re: Dinner 10/20/23jmcquown
`* Re: Dinner 10/20/23cshenk
 `* Re: Dinner 10/20/23jmcquown
  `* Re: Dinner 10/20/23cshenk
   `* Re: Dinner 10/20/23jmcquown
    `* Re: Dinner 10/20/23cshenk
     +- Re: Dinner 10/20/23Hank Rogers
     `* Re: Dinner 10/20/23songbird
      `- Re: Dinner 10/20/23jmcquown

Pages:12
Dinner 10/20/23

<ugur9g$19n7a$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288192&group=rec.food.cooking#288192

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Dinner 10/20/23
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:25:47 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:25 UTC

Sole Piccata. After work yesterday I picked up a couple of sole fillets
at Publix. The sign at the fish/seafood counter indicated it was fresh,
never frozen. (All too often certain types of fish are marked
"previously frozen" then placed on a bed of ice.) I also bought a
lemon. I already have a jar of small capers in the refrigerator. I was
gifted a bottle of pino grigio for my birthday, a few splashes of which
should work very well for the sauce in this dish. I'll be having
fettucini tossed with butter and grated Parmesan and steamed broccoli to
go with it.

Sole Piccata:

2 sole fillets
flour seasoned with S&P
olive oil for pan frying
butter
splash of dry white wine
fresh lemon juice
capers

Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
medium-high heat. Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour, shaking
off the excess flour. Add the sole to the hot skillet. Cook until
golden brown on both sides. Stir in the butter until melted, add the
capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice. Lower the heat to
medium low and cook about 2 minutes. Remove the sole to serving plates.
Continue to cook the sauce, stirring, until the sauce is reduced and
slightly thickened. Spoon the sauce over the fish to serve.

Jill

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<7MCYM.147223$rbid.126538@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288198&group=rec.food.cooking#288198

Subject: Re: Dinner 10/20/23
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 18:00:34 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 22:00 UTC

On 2023-10-20 5:25 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> Sole Piccata.  After work yesterday I picked up a couple of sole fillets
> at Publix.  The sign at the fish/seafood counter indicated it was fresh,
> never frozen.  (All too often certain types of fish are marked
> "previously frozen" then placed on a bed of ice.)  I also bought a
> lemon.  I already have a jar of small capers in the refrigerator.  I was
> gifted a bottle of pino grigio for my birthday, a few splashes of which
> should work very well for the sauce in this dish.  I'll be having
> fettucini tossed with butter and grated Parmesan and steamed broccoli to
> go with it.

That sounds pretty good. We are having rainbow trout with air fries,
steamed broccoli and salad.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<_SDYM.73561$w4ec.36567@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288214&group=rec.food.cooking#288214

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 19:16:10 -0400
 by: Ed P - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 23:16 UTC

On 10/20/2023 5:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Sole Piccata.  After work yesterday I picked up a couple of sole fillets
> at Publix.  The sign at the fish/seafood counter indicated it was fresh,
> never frozen.  (All too often certain types of fish are marked
> "previously frozen" then placed on a bed of ice.)  I also bought a
> lemon.  I already have a jar of small capers in the refrigerator.  I was
> gifted a bottle of pino grigio for my birthday, a few splashes of which
> should work very well for the sauce in this dish.  I'll be having
> fettucini tossed with butter and grated Parmesan and steamed broccoli to
> go with it.
>
> Sole Piccata:
>
> 2 sole fillets
> flour seasoned with S&P
> olive oil for pan frying
> butter
> splash of dry white wine
> fresh lemon juice
> capers
>
> Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
> medium-high heat.  Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour, shaking
> off the excess flour.  Add the sole to the hot skillet.  Cook until
> golden brown on both sides.  Stir in the butter until melted, add the
> capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice.  Lower the heat to
> medium low and cook about 2 minutes.  Remove the sole to serving plates.
>  Continue to cook the sauce, stirring, until the sauce is reduced and
> slightly thickened.  Spoon the sauce over the fish to serve.
>
> Jill

That sounds good. Never thought to use sole. I'll have to look for it
when I go to the store in the next day or so.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<ugv5ae$19n7a$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288224&group=rec.food.cooking#288224

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 20:16:57 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 00:16 UTC

On 10/20/2023 7:16 PM, Ed P wrote:
> On 10/20/2023 5:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Sole Piccata.  After work yesterday I picked up a couple of sole
>> fillets at Publix.  The sign at the fish/seafood counter indicated it
>> was fresh, never frozen.  (All too often certain types of fish are
>> marked "previously frozen" then placed on a bed of ice.)  I also
>> bought a lemon.  I already have a jar of small capers in the
>> refrigerator.  I was gifted a bottle of pino grigio for my birthday, a
>> few splashes of which should work very well for the sauce in this
>> dish.  I'll be having fettucini tossed with butter and grated Parmesan
>> and steamed broccoli to go with it.
>>
>> Sole Piccata:
>>
>> 2 sole fillets
>> flour seasoned with S&P
>> olive oil for pan frying
>> butter
>> splash of dry white wine
>> fresh lemon juice
>> capers
>>
>> Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
>> medium-high heat.  Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour, shaking
>> off the excess flour.  Add the sole to the hot skillet.  Cook until
>> golden brown on both sides.  Stir in the butter until melted, add the
>> capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice.  Lower the heat to
>> medium low and cook about 2 minutes.  Remove the sole to serving
>> plates.   Continue to cook the sauce, stirring, until the sauce is
>> reduced and slightly thickened.  Spoon the sauce over the fish to serve.
>>
>> Jill
>
> That sounds good.  Never thought to use sole.  I'll have to look for it
> when I go to the store in the next day or so.

I have made veal piccata & chicken piccata. Sole piccata? I discovered
that at an Italian restaurant in Memphis; it was a meeting of people I
worked with at a restaurant. I saw sole piccata on the menu. I love
mild fish and couldn't resist ordering it. Several other co-workers
did, too. We all agreed, it was spectacular. I've only made it at home
once before. Sole has been difficult to find here in SC. But hey,
piccata is good regardless. The method of pan frying and the
ingredients in the sauce work well with different things. :)

Jill

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<49f37f4d-3452-4ee7-ac0e-419ec1305adfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288227&group=rec.food.cooking#288227

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:40:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: itsjoann...@webtv.net (itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net)
 by: itsjoannotjoann@webt - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 00:40 UTC

On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 4:26:17 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> Sole Piccata. After work yesterday I picked up a couple of sole fillets
> at Publix. The sign at the fish/seafood counter indicated it was fresh,
> never frozen. (All too often certain types of fish are marked
> "previously frozen" then placed on a bed of ice.) I also bought a
> lemon. I already have a jar of small capers in the refrigerator. I was
> gifted a bottle of pino grigio for my birthday, a few splashes of which
> should work very well for the sauce in this dish. I'll be having
> fettucini tossed with butter and grated Parmesan and steamed broccoli to
> go with it.
>
> Jill

That sounds excellent. I've had chicken piccata in the past and it was lip smacking.

I finished off some leftovers here.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<0_FYM.136535$2fS.66936@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288230&group=rec.food.cooking#288230

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:40:12 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 01:40 UTC

On 2023-10-20 7:16 p.m., Ed P wrote:

>> Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
>> medium-high heat.  Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour, shaking
>> off the excess flour.  Add the sole to the hot skillet.  Cook until
>> golden brown on both sides.  Stir in the butter until melted, add the
>> capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice.  Lower the heat to
>> medium low and cook about 2 minutes.  Remove the sole to serving
>> plates.   Continue to cook the sauce, stirring, until the sauce is
>> reduced and slightly thickened.  Spoon the sauce over the fish to serve.
>>
>> Jill
>
> That sounds good.  Never thought to use sole.  I'll have to look for it
> when I go to the store in the next day or so.

Sole can be pretty good but I usually find the taste and substance
lacking. My wife loves it.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<ugvbv5$1hhbf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288231&group=rec.food.cooking#288231

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 13:10:43 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 02:10 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:40:12 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid.smith@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2023-10-20 7:16 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>
>>> Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
>>> medium-high heat.  Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour, shaking
>>> off the excess flour.  Add the sole to the hot skillet.  Cook until
>>> golden brown on both sides.  Stir in the butter until melted, add the
>>> capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice.  Lower the heat to
>>> medium low and cook about 2 minutes.  Remove the sole to serving
>>> plates.   Continue to cook the sauce, stirring, until the sauce is
>>> reduced and slightly thickened.  Spoon the sauce over the fish to serve.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> That sounds good.  Never thought to use sole.  I'll have to look for it
>> when I go to the store in the next day or so.
>
>Sole can be pretty good but I usually find the taste and substance
>lacking.

How can it be pretty good and lacking taste and substance at the same
time?

>My wife loves it.

She makes much more sense, being Dutch and all.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<uh0hf8$1oo25$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288253&group=rec.food.cooking#288253

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:50:27 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 12:50 UTC

On 10/20/2023 9:40 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2023-10-20 7:16 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>
>>> Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
>>> medium-high heat.  Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour, shaking
>>> off the excess flour.  Add the sole to the hot skillet.  Cook until
>>> golden brown on both sides.  Stir in the butter until melted, add the
>>> capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice.  Lower the heat to
>>> medium low and cook about 2 minutes.  Remove the sole to serving
>>> plates.   Continue to cook the sauce, stirring, until the sauce is
>>> reduced and slightly thickened.  Spoon the sauce over the fish to serve.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> That sounds good.  Never thought to use sole.  I'll have to look for
>> it when I go to the store in the next day or so.
>
> Sole can be pretty good but I usually find the taste and substance
> lacking.  My wife loves it.

Sole is a very mild tasting rather delicate fish which makes it a
perfect foil for the sauce. :) If you want a more firm texture try it
with cod.

Jill

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<uh0hj8$1oo24$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288254&group=rec.food.cooking#288254

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 08:52:34 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 12:52 UTC

On 10/20/2023 8:40 PM, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net wrote:
> On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 4:26:17 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Sole Piccata. After work yesterday I picked up a couple of sole fillets
>> at Publix. The sign at the fish/seafood counter indicated it was fresh,
>> never frozen. (All too often certain types of fish are marked
>> "previously frozen" then placed on a bed of ice.) I also bought a
>> lemon. I already have a jar of small capers in the refrigerator. I was
>> gifted a bottle of pino grigio for my birthday, a few splashes of which
>> should work very well for the sauce in this dish. I'll be having
>> fettucini tossed with butter and grated Parmesan and steamed broccoli to
>> go with it.
>>
>> Jill
>>
> That sounds excellent. I've had chicken piccata in the past and it was lip smacking.

It was excellent! When I make this with chicken I use cutlets. :)

> I finished off some leftovers here.

What, not even a hint? ;)

Jill

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<G_TYM.7901$3um9.5869@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288277&group=rec.food.cooking#288277

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 13:36:39 -0400
 by: Ed P - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:36 UTC

On 10/21/2023 11:55 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 6:00:42 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

>> That sounds pretty good. We are having rainbow trout ...
>
> I wonder what the difference in taste is between rainbow trout, brook trout, lake trout, cut throat trout, brown trout, tiger trout and Skamania Steelhead trout, anyway.

Rainbow trout are more inclusive and accept all those other trouts
without discrimination.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<uh151o$1t1k3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288289&group=rec.food.cooking#288289

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 05:24:51 +1100
 by: Bruce - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:24 UTC

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 13:36:39 -0400, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 10/21/2023 11:55 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
>> On Friday, October 20, 2023 at 6:00:42 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>>> That sounds pretty good. We are having rainbow trout ...
>>
>> I wonder what the difference in taste is between rainbow trout, brook trout, lake trout, cut throat trout, brown trout, tiger trout and Skamania Steelhead trout, anyway.

Don't forget Kilgore Trout.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<JuudnfwAcbQ9gan4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288296&group=rec.food.cooking#288296

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:46:56 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:46 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> Sole Piccata. After work yesterday I picked up a couple of sole
> fillets at Publix. The sign at the fish/seafood counter indicated it
> was fresh, never frozen. (All too often certain types of fish are
> marked "previously frozen" then placed on a bed of ice.) I also
> bought a lemon. I already have a jar of small capers in the
> refrigerator. I was gifted a bottle of pino grigio for my birthday,
> a few splashes of which should work very well for the sauce in this
> dish. I'll be having fettucini tossed with butter and grated
> Parmesan and steamed broccoli to go with it.
>
> Sole Piccata:
>
> 2 sole fillets
> flour seasoned with S&P
> olive oil for pan frying
> butter
> splash of dry white wine
> fresh lemon juice
> capers
>
> Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
> medium-high heat. Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour, shaking
> off the excess flour. Add the sole to the hot skillet. Cook until
> golden brown on both sides. Stir in the butter until melted, add the
> capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice. Lower the heat to
> medium low and cook about 2 minutes. Remove the sole to serving
> plates. Continue to cook the sauce, stirring, until the sauce is
> reduced and slightly thickened. Spoon the sauce over the fish to
> serve.
>
> Jill

Do you wipe the residual olive oil off the pan from the frying or leave
it there?

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<UPmcnUmjr-6ogKn4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288298&group=rec.food.cooking#288298

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:49:25 +0000
 by: cshenk - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:49 UTC

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2023-10-20 7:16 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>
> > > Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
> > > medium-high heat.  Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour,
> > > shaking off the excess flour.  Add the sole to the hot skillet.
> > > Cook until golden brown on both sides.  Stir in the butter until
> > > melted, add the capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice.
> > > Lower the heat to medium low and cook about 2 minutes.  Remove
> > > the sole to serving plates.   Continue to cook the sauce,
> > > stirring, until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened.
> > > Spoon the sauce over the fish to serve.
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > That sounds good.  Never thought to use sole.  I'll have to look
> > for it when I go to the store in the next day or so.
>
> Sole can be pretty good but I usually find the taste and substance
> lacking. My wife loves it.

You might want to try Snapper?

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<mxVYM.46632$5618.156@fx33.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288302&group=rec.food.cooking#288302

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:21:55 -0400
 by: Ed P - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 19:21 UTC

On 10/21/2023 2:51 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 2:26:49 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

>> Don't forget Kilgore Trout.
>
> I should also try not to forget Dolly Varden trout (Salvelinus malma), bull trout, sea trout or marble trout (lyretail Molly).

Over 60 types listed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout

Trout (pl: trout) is a generic common name for numerous species of
carnivorous freshwater ray-finned fishes belonging to the genera
Oncorhynchus, Salmo and Salvelinus, all of which are members of the
subfamily Salmoninae in the family Salmonidae. The word trout is also
used for some similar-shaped but non-salmonid fish, such as the spotted
seatrout/speckled trout (Cynoscion nebulosus, which is actually a croaker).

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<kpiqf6Fk440U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288314&group=rec.food.cooking#288314

From: leoblais...@sbcglobal.net (Leonard Blaisdell)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 21 Oct 2023 20:26:14 GMT
 by: Leonard Blaisdell - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 20:26 UTC

On 2023-10-21, bruce bowser <bruce2bowser@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder what the difference in taste is between rainbow trout, brook trout, lake trout, cut throat trout, brown trout, tiger trout and Skamania Steelhead trout, anyway.

Speaking of creek and river trout only, all of them from the same water
all taste the same to me if twelve inches or less.
Lahontan cutthroat from Pyramid Lake are a whole different matter. The
water is highly alkaline, and the taste of the fish reflects that. Yuck!
After eating one fish from that lake, I always did catch and release,
although I did pickle one once.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<PyXYM.116371$8fO.2303@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288324&group=rec.food.cooking#288324

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 16:39:53 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 21:39 UTC

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2023-10-21, bruce bowser <bruce2bowser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder what the difference in taste is between rainbow trout, brook trout, lake trout, cut throat trout, brown trout, tiger trout and Skamania Steelhead trout, anyway.
>

> Speaking of creek and river trout only, all of them from the same water
> all taste the same to me if twelve inches or less.
> Lahontan cutthroat from Pyramid Lake are a whole different matter. The
> water is highly alkaline, and the taste of the fish reflects that. Yuck!
> After eating one fish from that lake, I always did catch and release,
> although I did pickle one once.

How did it turn out? Sometimes, things we don't like can be
very good when pickled. For example, many people who hate beets
enjoy them when pickled.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<c266f81c-8c82-407d-91f9-1b4d24447b9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288382&group=rec.food.cooking#288382

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 04:06:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: bryangsi...@gmail.com (Bryan Simmons)
 by: Bryan Simmons - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 11:06 UTC

On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 4:40:06 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> > On 2023-10-21, bruce bowser <bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder what the difference in taste is between rainbow trout, brook trout, lake trout, cut throat trout, brown trout, tiger trout and Skamania Steelhead trout, anyway.
> >

> > Speaking of creek and river trout only, all of them from the same water
> > all taste the same to me if twelve inches or less.
> > Lahontan cutthroat from Pyramid Lake are a whole different matter. The
> > water is highly alkaline, and the taste of the fish reflects that. Yuck!
> > After eating one fish from that lake, I always did catch and release,
> > although I did pickle one once.
> >
> How did it turn out? Sometimes, things we don't like can be
> very good when pickled. For example, many people who hate beets
> enjoy them when pickled.

I dislike unpickled cucumbers, and could happily eat
a whole jar of pickles.
https://www.foodservicedirect.com/claussen-kosher-dill-deli-style-halves-pickle-64-ounce-6-per-case-186106.html

--Bryan

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<uh3cpr$2f74e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288389&group=rec.food.cooking#288389

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 10:49:09 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:49 UTC

On 10/21/2023 2:46 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Sole Piccata. After work yesterday I picked up a couple of sole
>> fillets at Publix. The sign at the fish/seafood counter indicated it
>> was fresh, never frozen. (All too often certain types of fish are
>> marked "previously frozen" then placed on a bed of ice.) I also
>> bought a lemon. I already have a jar of small capers in the
>> refrigerator. I was gifted a bottle of pino grigio for my birthday,
>> a few splashes of which should work very well for the sauce in this
>> dish. I'll be having fettucini tossed with butter and grated
>> Parmesan and steamed broccoli to go with it.
>>
>> Sole Piccata:
>>
>> 2 sole fillets
>> flour seasoned with S&P
>> olive oil for pan frying
>> butter
>> splash of dry white wine
>> fresh lemon juice
>> capers
>>
>> Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
>> medium-high heat. Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour, shaking
>> off the excess flour. Add the sole to the hot skillet. Cook until
>> golden brown on both sides. Stir in the butter until melted, add the
>> capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice. Lower the heat to
>> medium low and cook about 2 minutes. Remove the sole to serving
>> plates. Continue to cook the sauce, stirring, until the sauce is
>> reduced and slightly thickened. Spoon the sauce over the fish to
>> serve.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Do you wipe the residual olive oil off the pan from the frying or leave
> it there?

Leave it there. The amount of oil is negligible; just enough to cover
the bottom of the skillet.

Jill

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<9eeb515b-3326-49fd-9cd9-bafd12cb4954n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288421&group=rec.food.cooking#288421

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 12:15:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:15 UTC

On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 2:49:46 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

> > > That sounds good. Never thought to use sole. I'll have to look
> > > for it when I go to the store in the next day or so.
> >
> > Sole can be pretty good but I usually find the taste and substance
> > lacking. My wife loves it.
> You might want to try Snapper?

I see in Wikipedia that there are over 130 different types of Snapper fish, like red snapper.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<EhvZM.64797$MJ59.49460@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288477&group=rec.food.cooking#288477

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:19:16 -0400
 by: Michael Trew - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:19 UTC

On 10/21/2023 5:39 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of creek and river trout only, all of them from the same water
>> all taste the same to me if twelve inches or less.
>> Lahontan cutthroat from Pyramid Lake are a whole different matter. The
>> water is highly alkaline, and the taste of the fish reflects that. Yuck!
>> After eating one fish from that lake, I always did catch and release,
>> although I did pickle one once.
>
> How did it turn out? Sometimes, things we don't like can be very good
> when pickled. For example, many people who hate beets enjoy them when
> pickled.

Cucumbers.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<bjKdnWIX1bLjaar4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288577&group=rec.food.cooking#288577

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 16:44:46 +0000
 by: cshenk - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 16:44 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 10/21/2023 2:46 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > > Sole Piccata. After work yesterday I picked up a couple of sole
> > > fillets at Publix. The sign at the fish/seafood counter
> > > indicated it was fresh, never frozen. (All too often certain
> > > types of fish are marked "previously frozen" then placed on a bed
> > > of ice.) I also bought a lemon. I already have a jar of small
> > > capers in the refrigerator. I was gifted a bottle of pino grigio
> > > for my birthday, a few splashes of which should work very well
> > > for the sauce in this dish. I'll be having fettucini tossed with
> > > butter and grated Parmesan and steamed broccoli to go with it.
> > >
> > > Sole Piccata:
> > >
> > > 2 sole fillets
> > > flour seasoned with S&P
> > > olive oil for pan frying
> > > butter
> > > splash of dry white wine
> > > fresh lemon juice
> > > capers
> > >
> > > Heat just enough olive oil for pan frying in a large skillet,
> > > medium-high heat. Dredge the sole fillets in seasoned flour,
> > > shaking off the excess flour. Add the sole to the hot skillet.
> > > Cook until golden brown on both sides. Stir in the butter until
> > > melted, add the capers, a splash of white wine and lemon juice.
> > > Lower the heat to medium low and cook about 2 minutes. Remove
> > > the sole to serving plates. Continue to cook the sauce,
> > > stirring, until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened.
> > > Spoon the sauce over the fish to serve.
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > Do you wipe the residual olive oil off the pan from the frying or
> > leave it there?
>
> Leave it there. The amount of oil is negligible; just enough to
> cover the bottom of the skillet.
>
> Jill

Ok, was just curious on the method.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<uh9csu$6bou$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288600&group=rec.food.cooking#288600

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 17:27:56 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 21:27 UTC

On 10/24/2023 12:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Do you wipe the residual olive oil off the pan from the frying or
>>> leave it there?
>>
>> Leave it there. The amount of oil is negligible; just enough to
>> cover the bottom of the skillet.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Ok, was just curious on the method.

It's a traditional method for making piccata.

Jill

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<0LGcnajfV6j3FaT4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288711&group=rec.food.cooking#288711

From: csh...@virginia-beach.net (cshenk)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 21:28:10 +0000
 by: cshenk - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 21:28 UTC

jmcquown wrote:

> On 10/24/2023 12:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > Leave it there. The amount of oil is negligible; just enough to
> > > cover the bottom of the skillet.
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > Ok, was just curious on the method.
>
> It's a traditional method for making piccata.
>
> Jill

That's why I was curious. It's not something I've done. All of us
have different styles. You do very light elegant sauces while I do
thick ones, often with curry seasoning. Neither is 'bad' but mine is
geared to suit radically different dishes while yours suits the dishes
you make.

I like reading your recipes because they are different from mine.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<MFg_M.44096$rEF.176@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288738&group=rec.food.cooking#288738

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 17:30:03 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 22:30 UTC

cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Ok, was just curious on the method.
>>
>> It's a traditional method for making piccata.
>>
>> Jill
>
> That's why I was curious. It's not something I've done. All of us
> have different styles. You do very light elegant sauces while I do
> thick ones, often with curry seasoning. Neither is 'bad' but mine is
> geared to suit radically different dishes while yours suits the dishes
> you make.

Everything her majesty does screams elegant.

Re: Dinner 10/20/23

<ia5q0k-992.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288800&group=rec.food.cooking#288800

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:14:26 -0400
 by: songbird - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:14 UTC

cshenk wrote:
> That's why I was curious. It's not something I've done. All of us
> have different styles. You do very light elegant sauces while I do
> thick ones, often with curry seasoning. Neither is 'bad' but mine is
> geared to suit radically different dishes while yours suits the dishes
> you make.

also some people have pretty sensitive taste buds. also
hot foods are different receptors than taste buds.

and then in our particular case i have to be wary of any
spices at all which may cause problems for Mom. i keep my
hot sauces and spices to the side and split batches of
some foods i make so she can eat the mild versions and i
can amp up mine.

> I like reading your recipes because they are different from mine.

same here, even if i don't comment or look at a picture
i will usually still read it.

songbird