Silence is the element in which great things fashion themselves. -- Thomas Carlyle

interests / rec.food.cooking / Dinner tonight was breakfast

SubjectAuthor
* Dinner tonight was breakfastjmcquown
+- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastEd P
`* Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastbruce bowser
 `* Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastEd P
  +- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastBruce
  +* Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastGraham
  |+- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastBruce
  |+- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastDave Smith
  |`* Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastjmcquown
  | +* Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastDave Smith
  | |`- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastjmcquown
  | `- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastBruce
  `* Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastjmcquown
   +- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastBruce
   +- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastHank Rogers
   +* Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastbruce bowser
   |`- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastHank Rogers
   `- Re: Dinner tonight was breakfastHank Rogers

1
Dinner tonight was breakfast

<uhf867$22por$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288922&group=rec.food.cooking#288922

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Dinner tonight was breakfast
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 22:44:21 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 02:44 UTC

Nothing special but very tasty. A couple of soft boiled eggs in spooned
into a cup ("egg a cup") with softened butter and seasoned with S&P.
Accompanied by a slice of buttered toast and yes, a glass of cold milk. :)

Jill

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<PdG_M.46603$f719.19683@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288926&group=rec.food.cooking#288926

Subject: Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 23:35:10 -0400
 by: Ed P - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 03:35 UTC

On 10/26/2023 10:44 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Nothing special but very tasty.  A couple of soft boiled eggs in spooned
> into a cup ("egg a cup") with softened butter and seasoned with S&P.
> Accompanied by a slice of buttered toast and yes, a glass of cold milk. :)
>
> Jill

Breakfast makes a good dinner. A little butter adds to the richness of
the SB eggs too.

Breaded pork chop, fried apples, salad here. Will repeat againSaturday
as I made two chops.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<9a6276ce-68ad-4ab0-9d0e-f3370c76e333n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288992&group=rec.food.cooking#288992

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:43:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:43 UTC

On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 10:44:30 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> Nothing special but very tasty. A couple of soft boiled eggs in spooned
> into a cup ("egg a cup") with softened butter and seasoned with S&P.
> Accompanied by a slice of buttered toast and yes, a glass of cold milk. :)
>
> Jill

And hey Jill, the next time you fry scallops, make sure you already stopped by a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a carton of spicy mixed vegetables Lo Mein (with noodles). That way, you can just dump the fried scallops and maybe some fried Chinese noodles right in with the mixed vegetables. Along with soy sauce and Chinese hot mustard, I bet that would taste a million times better than just Asparagus.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<FhV_M.23092$6Z79.6709@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289014&group=rec.food.cooking#289014

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: esp...@snet.xxx (Ed P)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:43:17 -0400
 by: Ed P - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:43 UTC

On 10/27/2023 2:43 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 10:44:30 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> Nothing special but very tasty. A couple of soft boiled eggs in spooned
>> into a cup ("egg a cup") with softened butter and seasoned with S&P.
>> Accompanied by a slice of buttered toast and yes, a glass of cold milk. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> And hey Jill, the next time you fry scallops, make sure you already stopped by a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a carton of spicy mixed vegetables Lo Mein (with noodles). That way, you can just dump the fried scallops and maybe some fried Chinese noodles right in with the mixed vegetables. Along with soy sauce and Chinese hot mustard, I bet that would taste a million times better than just Asparagus.

If you like it, go for it. IMO, the veggies would over power the
delicate flavor of the scallops.

The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones. Went
to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing. You'd have to
cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked like dried
leaves. I passed on them.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<uhh8ui$2fc38$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289016&group=rec.food.cooking#289016

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 08:09:35 +1100
 by: Bruce - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:09 UTC

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:43:17 -0400, Ed P <esp@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 10/27/2023 2:43 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 10:44:30 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Nothing special but very tasty. A couple of soft boiled eggs in spooned
>>> into a cup ("egg a cup") with softened butter and seasoned with S&P.
>>> Accompanied by a slice of buttered toast and yes, a glass of cold milk. :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> And hey Jill, the next time you fry scallops, make sure you already stopped by a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a carton of spicy mixed vegetables Lo Mein (with noodles). That way, you can just dump the fried scallops and maybe some fried Chinese noodles right in with the mixed vegetables. Along with soy sauce and Chinese hot mustard, I bet that would taste a million times better than just Asparagus.
>

>If you like it, go for it. IMO, the veggies would over power the
>delicate flavor of the scallops.
>
>The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones. Went
>to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing. You'd have to
>cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked like dried
>leaves. I passed on them.

Yes, they have to be fresh and not from the other side of the world. I
sometimes see South American asparagi but never buy them. They could
be useful if you want to start a wood fire.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<IPV_M.35835$EUq9.19230@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289018&group=rec.food.cooking#289018

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:19:35 -0600
 by: Graham - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:19 UTC

On 2023-10-27 2:43 p.m., Ed P wrote:
> On 10/27/2023 2:43 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 10:44:30 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Nothing special but very tasty. A couple of soft boiled eggs in spooned
>>> into a cup ("egg a cup") with softened butter and seasoned with S&P.
>>> Accompanied by a slice of buttered toast and yes, a glass of cold
>>> milk. :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> And hey Jill,  the next time you fry scallops, make sure you already
>> stopped by a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a carton of spicy mixed
>> vegetables Lo Mein (with noodles).  That way, you can just dump the
>> fried scallops and maybe some fried Chinese noodles right in with the
>> mixed vegetables.  Along with soy sauce and Chinese hot mustard, I bet
>> that would taste a million times better than just Asparagus.
>

> If you like it, go for it.  IMO, the veggies would over power the
> delicate flavor of the scallops.
>
> The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones.   Went
> to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing.  You'd have to
> cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked like dried
> leaves.  I passed on them.

I prefer to eat asparagus in our season, i.e., Spring, not Peru's Spring.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<uhh9mv$2fht9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289019&group=rec.food.cooking#289019

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 08:22:35 +1100
 by: Bruce - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:22 UTC

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:19:35 -0600, Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On 2023-10-27 2:43 p.m., Ed P wrote:

>>> And hey Jill,  the next time you fry scallops, make sure you already
>>> stopped by a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a carton of spicy mixed
>>> vegetables Lo Mein (with noodles).  That way, you can just dump the
>>> fried scallops and maybe some fried Chinese noodles right in with the
>>> mixed vegetables.  Along with soy sauce and Chinese hot mustard, I bet
>>> that would taste a million times better than just Asparagus.
>>

>> If you like it, go for it.  IMO, the veggies would over power the
>> delicate flavor of the scallops.
>>
>> The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones.   Went
>> to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing.  You'd have to
>> cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked like dried
>> leaves.  I passed on them.
>
>I prefer to eat asparagus in our season, i.e., Spring, not Peru's Spring.

Ghe ghe.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<D8W_M.98484$MJ59.35486@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289022&group=rec.food.cooking#289022

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:41:55 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:41 UTC

On 2023-10-27 5:19 p.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2023-10-27 2:43 p.m., Ed P wrote:

>> The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones.
>> Went to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing.  You'd
>> have to cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked
>> like dried leaves.  I passed on them.
>
> I prefer to eat asparagus in our season, i.e., Spring, not Peru's Spring.

I broke down and got some asparagus today because it was on sale cheap.
It looked like it will be okay if we use it quickly. We will have half
of it tonight with grilled salmon. Maybe on the Sunday I will chop it to
be stir fried with olive oil garlic and a pinch of dried chili to be
tossed with pasta.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<uhhb0f$2fn6v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289024&group=rec.food.cooking#289024

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:44:45 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:44 UTC

On 10/27/2023 4:43 PM, Ed P wrote:
> On 10/27/2023 2:43 PM, bruce bowser wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 26, 2023 at 10:44:30 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Nothing special but very tasty. A couple of soft boiled eggs in spooned
>>> into a cup ("egg a cup") with softened butter and seasoned with S&P.
>>> Accompanied by a slice of buttered toast and yes, a glass of cold
>>> milk. :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> And hey Jill,  the next time you fry scallops, make sure you already
>> stopped by a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a carton of spicy mixed
>> vegetables Lo Mein (with noodles).

Great, cooking tips (if you call picking up Chinese crap from a
restaurant) from a troll.

> If you like it, go for it.  IMO, the veggies would over power the
> delicate flavor of the scallops.
>
> The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones.   Went
> to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing.  You'd have to
> cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked like dried
> leaves.  I passed on them.

I have a couple of bags of frozen asparagus tips in the freezer.
Problem solved. :)

Jill

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<uhhbu9$2fuc0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289027&group=rec.food.cooking#289027

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 09:00:37 +1100
 by: Bruce - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 22:00 UTC

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:44:45 -0400, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 10/27/2023 4:43 PM, Ed P wrote:

>>> And hey Jill,  the next time you fry scallops, make sure you already
>>> stopped by a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a carton of spicy mixed
>>> vegetables Lo Mein (with noodles).
>
>Great, cooking tips (if you call picking up Chinese crap from a
>restaurant) from a troll.

Not everybody you disagree with is a troll. You and your John Kuthe
obsession, now that's trollish.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<uhhdrv$2fn6v$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289032&group=rec.food.cooking#289032

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:33:33 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 22:33 UTC

On 10/27/2023 5:19 PM, Graham wrote:
> On 2023-10-27 2:43 p.m., Ed P wrote:

>>> And hey Jill,  the next time you fry scallops
(snipped drivel)
>> The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones.
>> Went to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing.  You'd
>> have to cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked
>> like dried leaves.  I passed on them.
>
> I prefer to eat asparagus in our season, i.e., Spring, not Peru's Spring.

There's a reason they sell frozen vegetables. :) I honestly don't know
where the "fresh" asparagus I see at the supermarket comes from. I do
know it looks a heck of a lot better in the Spring. I never see fresh
asparagus for sale at the farm stands/farmers market. I don't think
there are any asparagus farmers nearby.

Jill

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<AjX_M.224395$2fS.25049@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289035&group=rec.food.cooking#289035

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: adavid.s...@sympatico.ca (Dave Smith)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:01:52 -0400
 by: Dave Smith - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 23:01 UTC

On 2023-10-27 6:33 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/27/2023 5:19 PM, Graham wrote:

>> I prefer to eat asparagus in our season, i.e., Spring, not Peru's Spring.
>

> There's a reason they sell frozen vegetables. :)  I honestly don't know
> where the "fresh" asparagus I see at the supermarket comes from.  I do
> know it looks a heck of a lot better in the Spring.  I never see fresh
> asparagus for sale at the farm stands/farmers market.  I don't think
> there are any asparagus farmers nearby.

The asparagus we had for supper was pretty darned good. It was certainly
not as good as the now out of season fresh local crop, but it was pretty
good.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<uhhgba$2fn6v$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289036&group=rec.food.cooking#289036

From: j_mcqu...@comcast.net (jmcquown)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:15:52 -0400
 by: jmcquown - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 23:15 UTC

On 10/27/2023 7:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2023-10-27 6:33 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 10/27/2023 5:19 PM, Graham wrote:
>
>>> I prefer to eat asparagus in our season, i.e., Spring, not Peru's
>>> Spring.
>>

>> There's a reason they sell frozen vegetables. :)  I honestly don't
>> know where the "fresh" asparagus I see at the supermarket comes from.
>> I do know it looks a heck of a lot better in the Spring.  I never see
>> fresh asparagus for sale at the farm stands/farmers market.  I don't
>> think there are any asparagus farmers nearby.
>
> The asparagus we had for supper was pretty darned good. It was certainly
> not as good as the now out of season fresh local crop, but it was pretty
> good.

Glad to hear it it wasn't a disappointment. :)

Jill

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<uhhh9f$2guuk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289040&group=rec.food.cooking#289040

From: Bru...@invalid.invalid (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 10:31:55 +1100
 by: Bruce - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 23:31 UTC

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:33:33 -0400, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 10/27/2023 5:19 PM, Graham wrote:
>> On 2023-10-27 2:43 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>
>>> The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones.
>>> Went to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing.  You'd
>>> have to cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked
>>> like dried leaves.  I passed on them.
>>
>> I prefer to eat asparagus in our season, i.e., Spring, not Peru's Spring.
>
>There's a reason they sell frozen vegetables. :) I honestly don't know
>where the "fresh" asparagus I see at the supermarket comes from. I do
>know it looks a heck of a lot better in the Spring.

American (or Australian in my case) asparagus vs foreign asparagus.

>I never see fresh
>asparagus for sale at the farm stands/farmers market. I don't think
>there are any asparagus farmers nearby.

Asparagus prefers a cooler climate.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<2WX_M.98987$MJ59.67708@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289042&group=rec.food.cooking#289042

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:42:47 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 23:42 UTC

jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/27/2023 4:43 PM, Ed P wrote:
>> On 10/27/2023 2:43 PM, bruce bowser wrote:

>>> And hey Jill,  the next time you fry scallops, make sure
>>> you already stopped by a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a
>>> carton of spicy mixed vegetables Lo Mein (with noodles).
>
> Great, cooking tips (if you call picking up Chinese crap from a
> restaurant) from a troll.
>
>> If you like it, go for it.  IMO, the veggies would over
>> power the delicate flavor of the scallops.
>>
>> The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible
>> ones.   Went to the store yesterday and they did not look
>> appealing.  You'd have to cut off the bottom half that was
>> stiff and top tips looked like dried leaves.  I passed on them.
>
> I have a couple of bags of frozen asparagus tips in the
> freezer. Problem solved. :)
>
> Jill

How nice for your majesty.

I sure am glad you told off those damn trolls, yet again. I
don't know why your highness puts up with them, let alone
answering these vile knaves.

Your highness is so kind.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<e88cfb18-b381-44b5-a615-b3ec86b830aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289129&group=rec.food.cooking#289129

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:36:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce1.9...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 19:36 UTC

On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 5:44:54 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/27/2023 4:43 PM, Ed P wrote:

> >> And hey Jill, the next time you fry scallops, make sure you already
> >> stopped by a Chinese restaurant and grabbed a carton of spicy mixed
> >> vegetables Lo Mein (with noodles).
> Great, cooking tips (if you call picking up Chinese crap from a
> restaurant) from a troll.

So, you only want to hear from one or two other people here. Ha! Big deal..

> > If you like it, go for it. IMO, the veggies would over power the
> > delicate flavor of the scallops.
> >
> > The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones. Went
> > to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing. You'd have to
> > cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked like dried
> > leaves. I passed on them.
> I have a couple of bags of frozen asparagus tips in the freezer.
> Problem solved. :)

Bags? You mean whole BAGS? Sheesh. I guess that is almost the only stuff you eat. Oh well, suit yourself.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<adf%M.31445$sqIa.30207@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289143&group=rec.food.cooking#289143

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 16:40:17 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 21:40 UTC

bruce bowser wrote:
> On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 5:44:54 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>> Great, cooking tips (if you call picking up Chinese crap from a
>> restaurant) from a troll.
>
> So, you only want to hear from one or two other people here. Ha! Big deal.

Only because everyone else has presented as a troll to her
highness.

>>> If you like it, go for it. IMO, the veggies would over power the
>>> delicate flavor of the scallops.
>>>
>>> The problem with asparagus right now is finding some edible ones. Went
>>> to the store yesterday and they did not look appealing. You'd have to
>>> cut off the bottom half that was stiff and top tips looked like dried
>>> leaves. I passed on them.
>> I have a couple of bags of frozen asparagus tips in the freezer.
>> Problem solved. :)
>
> Bags? You mean whole BAGS? Sheesh. I guess that is almost the only stuff you eat. Oh well, suit yourself.

Not true. Some days when her majesty is feeling powerful lazy,
she opens a can of menudo from the royal larder.

Re: Dinner tonight was breakfast

<SUd0N.144737$tnmf.23093@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289562&group=rec.food.cooking#289562

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: han...@nospam.invalid (Hank Rogers)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 15:59:25 -0500
 by: Hank Rogers - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 20:59 UTC

bruce bowser wrote:
> On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 5:44:54 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>> Great, cooking tips (if you call picking up Chinese crap from a
>> restaurant) from a troll.
>
> Jill, you're a whiney baby. Mixed vegetable lo main is not crap. Especially the spicy version. And to have 6 or 7 scallops next to a serving of that is the best.

Don't worry about it. Her majesty considers everyone a troll,
save about 4 people. It's just her way.