You will gain money by a fattening action.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 4,6 answers: kid lit, game show rules

SubjectAuthor
o RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 4,6 answers: kid lit, game show rulesMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 4,6 answers: kid lit, game show rules

<mLydnRx658Rsohv9nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2899&group=rec.games.trivia#2899

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 4,6 answers: kid lit, game show rules
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 23:22:09 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 04:22 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

It was the entertainment round.

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Literature - Works for Wee Ones

> Name the famous stories for children that begin with the following
> lines. Just the *title* is sufficient.

> 1. That Sam-I-Am,
> That Sam-I-Am,
> I do not like that Sam-I-Am.

"Green Eggs and Ham", by Dr. Seuss. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque,
Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 2. In the great green room
> There was a telephone
> And a red balloon
> And a picture of
> The cow jumping over the moon.

"Goodnight Moon", by Margaret Wise Brown. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 3. In the light
> Of the moon
> A little egg
> Lay on a leaf.

"The Very Hungry Caterpillar", by Eric Carle. 3 for Pete.

> 4. This was no time for play
> This was no time for fun
> This was no time for games
> There was work to be done.

"The Cat in the Hat Comes Back" (not the first book), by Dr. Seuss.

> 5. Chug chug chug.
> Puff puff puff.
> Ding-dong ding-dong.

"The Little Engine that Could", by Watty Piper. 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum. 3 for Pete.

> 6. Once upon a time there were four little rabbits.

"(The Tale of) Peter Rabbit", by Beatrix Potter. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. Mr. and Mrs. Mallard were looking for a place to live. But every
> time Mr. Mallard saw what looked like a nice place, Mrs. Mallard
> said it was no good.

"Make Way for Ducklings", by Robert McCloskey. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind
> And another
> His Mother called him "Wild Thing"
> And Max said "I'll eat you up!"
> So he was sent to bed without eating anything.

"Where the Wild Things Are", by Maurice Sendak. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. In an old house in Paris
> That was covered with vines
> Lived twelve little girls
> In two straight lines.

"Madeline", or any of the Madeline books, by Ludwig Bemelmans.
They all start with the same sentence. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 10. On the fifteenth of May
> In the Jungle of Nool
> In the heat of the day
> In the cool of the pool
> He was splashing,
> Enjoying the jungle's great joys.

"Horton Hears a Who", by Dr. Seuss.

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Game Show Rules

> In all cases the questions relate to the """current""" version
> of the show, or the last version for shows no longer on the air
> """now""". *Note*: If the situation described is no longer
> possible, then you must either give the expected answer or give
> the rule as it was when the situation was last possible.

> 1. On "Wheel of Fortune", if your spin lands on the Jackpot space,
> what two things """are""" you asked to do, in order, in order to win
> the jackpot?

Correctly call a letter (meaning, name an unrevealed consonant that's
in the solution -- they say "a letter" on the show, so I did not
require "consonant") and then (after instances of the letter are
revealed) give the solution. 4 for Pete.

The Jackpot space no longer exists. If Wikipedia is correct, it
was removed in 2013.

> 2. On "Wheel of Fortune", the player in the Bonus Round """is""" given
> *which 6* common letters to start?

In the order listed on the show: R, S, T, L, N, E. (Still true.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 3. In the final round of "The Price is Right", two players are
> each shown a "showcase" of prizes and each tries to guess the
> total retail price of the items therein. As you know, the one
> that comes closest without going over wins their showcase --
> but how can the winner also receive the other showcase?

1998 answer: By coming within $99 of the price (of his/her own
showcase). (We accepted "within $100".) 2021 answer: Within $250.
I did not accept "by getting it exactly", which is not the criterion,
and incidentally is something that happened on the show in December
2009 for the first time in over 30 years. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 4. On "The Hollywood Squares", if a player guessed wrong, the square
> sometimes went to the opponent and sometimes not. When did
> it not?

When it would give the opponent a win (i.e. 3 squares in a row or any
5 squares -- saying just one of these possibilities was insufficient).
4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 5. On "Family Feud", when the first team """is""" playing a category,
> how many wrong answers """are""" they allowed before their opponents
> have a chance to steal?

> In 2009 one of the entrants overthought the question, so I'll
> make it explicit: if the answer is N, this means that after
> it is decided which team will play the category, the Nth wrong
> answer is the last one they are allowed to give.

3. (Hence the term "strike" for a wrong answer. Still true.)
4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 6. On the British show "Mastermind", if two players were tied for
> the lead as to the number of questions answered correctly,
> what was the first method used to break the tie?

Number of times each player passed.

The question is in the past tense because the show hasn't been
broadcast in Ontario for many years. I was surprised to learn
recently that it's still running in Britain, but if Wikipedia is
correct, this rule hasn't changed anyway.

> 7. What """happens""" on "Jeopardy!" if there is a tie at the end of
> Final Jeopardy!? (In a regular game, not a tournament.)

1998 answer: Both players win. (They are called co-champions:
they both get to keep the cash and, if it wasn't their 5th win,
play again on the next regular show.) 2021 answer: Only one
player is allowed to win; to decide the game, the tied players are
given an extra question. (But there is no 5-win limit any more.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 8. In "Jeopardy!" terminology the questions are called "clues".
> If the very first "clue" selected is a Daily Double, the player
> who selected it will have no money yet. In this case, what
> """is""" the maximum (in dollars) that the player is allowed
> to wager?

The maximum dollar value on the board. In 1998, $500. In 2021,
$1,000. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. Still on "Jeopardy!", at what moment """are""" players first
> allowed to ring in on a normal "clue"?

When the host finishes reading it aloud (and a set of lights,
unseen by the home audience, go on; still true). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Pete.

In more detail, as explained by Ken Jennings in "Brainiac":

Once Alex Trebek finishes reaching each question, a staffer sitting
in front of the stage flicks a switch, activating rows of lights
beside and below the game board. At that point, your signaling
device is activated. Ringing in early actually deactivates your
buzzer for a fifth of a second or so, long enough for somebody
else to beat you.

> 10. And which player """makes""" the first selection in the Double
> Jeopardy! round?

The player in last (third) place at that point. (Still true.)
4 for everyone.

In case if a tie for last place, no explanation is given on the show,
but the rule is that it's whichever of the tied players is nearer
to the physical position usually occupied by the returning champion.
Obviously, this could *be* the returning champion.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Can Lit Ent
Pete Gayde 16 11 26 36 89
Joshua Kreitzer 17 18 24 28 87
Dan Blum 2 11 28 20 61
Dan Tilque 0 24 4 8 36
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader "...out of the dark coffee-stained mugs of
Toronto insane programmers throughout the world..."

Click here to read the complete article