What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to do.

interests / rec.motorcycles.harley / Re: road king & back roads of PA

SubjectAuthor
* road king & back roads of PAjohn
+* Re: road king & back roads of PAsticks
|`* Re: road king & back roads of PAjohn
| `- Re: road king & back roads of PAsticks
`- Re: road king & back roads of PAFrank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous

1
road king & back roads of PA

<tfdg7k$317$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=288&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#288

From: not...@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: road king & back roads of PA
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 15:33:15 -0400
 by: john - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 19:33 UTC

I will state that it was a pleasure, and western PA state forest roads
are full of relaxing greenery. pretty much had the cell phone maps set
from current location to the other side of the state parks and clicked
the avoid highways, & toll roads... did that to zigzag thru the state
and enjoyed every minute. so far this summer I've done NC TN WV OH & PA
this way.
john
"you meet the nicest people on a...."

Re: road king & back roads of PA

<tfdrhq$qs4h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=289&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#289

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: Re: road king & back roads of PA
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 17:49:31 -0500
 by: sticks - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 22:49 UTC

On 9/8/2022 2:33 PM, john wrote:
> I will state that it was a pleasure, and western PA state forest roads
> are full of relaxing greenery. pretty much had the cell phone maps set
> from current location to the other side of the state parks and clicked
> the avoid highways, & toll roads... did that to zigzag thru the state
> and enjoyed every minute. so far this summer I've done NC TN WV OH & PA
> this way.
> john

Let me get a round, John. I'd like to ask you a question.

First off, glad you're having a good year riding. I wish I could ride more.

My question is regarding your use of the cell phone. I've been planning
rides to follow more of the back roads, and usually place my directions
on a 3x5 card. Obviously, not as good as in the vehicle that has a GPS
I can plan "routes" on. I don't want to use that Harley fairing mount
and remove the fairing to install power, and am leaning towards just
getting a good handlebar mount and using the cigarette lighter for
power. I am thinking of getting an older phone without a contract, like
an Iphone Xr, that I could load a program like CoPilot on where I could
use the phone GPS. I don't want to use my daily phone for this. I know
there is issues with the cameras getting fucked up with the vibration.
I take it with, and can use it for calls, but I don't want it mounted on
the bars. The GPS phone I don't care about the camera.

1. Is using a phone OK as far as glare?
2. I take it overheating is not an issue? I know I've had mine give me
the "let phone cool down before use" warning if I screw up and leave it
laying in the sun. Does the air and angle keep it cool?
3. Do you use a handlebar mount and find it effective? If so, what
mount do you use?

If you got time to answer, that's cool. If you're too busy riding, Fuck
it...I'll figure it out.

sticks

Re: road king & back roads of PA

<tff9pi$1rgc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=290&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#290

From: frankthe...@earthlink.net (Frank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 07:02:54 -0500
 by: Frank Xzarhadjizamth - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 12:02 UTC

On 9/8/2022 2:33 PM, john wrote:
> I will state that it was a pleasure, and western PA state forest roads
> are full of relaxing greenery. pretty much had the cell phone maps set
> from current location to the other side of the state parks and clicked
> the avoid highways, & toll roads... did that to zigzag thru the state
> and enjoyed every minute. so far this summer I've done NC TN WV OH & PA
> this way.
> john
>     "you meet the nicest people on a...."

(It's 6:55 AM here, so it's OK to have a drink. This round is on me.)

The wife and I do similar trips that way, too. (Not on the bike. She
won't ride.) We'll pick a city somewhere and take GON2L and back-roads.
Drove from Kansas City to Cocoa Beach, FL that way. Yeah, it took us a
lot longer, but we enjoy the trip as much or more than the destination.

There is a website named RoadsideAmerica.com we use when traveling. It
lists all sorts of interesting and goofy things to see. It is all "user
input" locations, too. Things like the world's largest ball of twine
(I've seen it twice!) and other points of interest that aren't so weird.
Museums, graves of musicians (saw Bo Didley's grave after finding in
was along our route) and various historic sites, etc.

Re: road king & back roads of PA

<tffobg$126e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=291&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#291

From: not...@home.add (john)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 12:04:06 -0400
 by: john - Fri, 9 Sep 2022 16:04 UTC

On 9/8/2022 6:49 PM, sticks wrote:
> On 9/8/2022 2:33 PM, john wrote:
>> I will state that it was a pleasure, and western PA state forest roads
>> are full of relaxing greenery. pretty much had the cell phone maps set
>> from current location to the other side of the state parks and clicked
>> the avoid highways, & toll roads... did that to zigzag thru the state
>> and enjoyed every minute. so far this summer I've done NC TN WV OH &
>> PA this way.
>> john
>
> Let me get a round, John.  I'd like to ask you a question.
>
> First off, glad you're having a good year riding.  I wish I could ride
> more.
>
> My question is regarding your use of the cell phone.  I've been planning
> rides to follow more of the back roads, and usually place my directions
> on a 3x5 card.  Obviously, not as good as in the vehicle that has a GPS
> I can plan "routes" on.  I don't want to use that Harley fairing mount
> and remove the fairing to install power, and am leaning towards just
> getting a good handlebar mount and using the cigarette lighter for
> power.  I am thinking of getting an older phone without a contract, like
> an Iphone Xr, that I could load a program like CoPilot on where I could
> use the phone GPS.  I don't want to use my daily phone for this.  I know
> there is issues with the cameras getting fucked up with the vibration. I
> take it with, and can use it for calls, but I don't want it mounted on
> the bars.  The GPS phone I don't care about the camera.
>
> 1.  Is using a phone OK as far as glare?
> 2.  I take it overheating is not an issue?  I know I've had mine give me
> the "let phone cool down before use" warning if I screw up and leave it
> laying in the sun.  Does the air and angle keep it cool?
> 3.  Do you use a handlebar mount and find it effective?  If so, what
> mount do you use?
>
> If you got time to answer, that's cool.  If you're too busy riding, Fuck
> it...I'll figure it out.
>
> sticks

I got a kuryakyn mount that clamps to the handle bars.
the two screws on the sides slide the phone edge clamps
into place and holds it securely. it can pivot the
angle of the phone which is good for glare. the phone
is an old Samsung phone yes when i leave it in the mount
in the sun it overheats.
the air going by seems to be enough to cool it. as for
charger i took a lead off the left side aux switch <on
steering head> and put a water resistant 12v to usb
charger port and zip tied it to the bar. then use a
short charger cord to bar mount. if it rains the cord
is just long enough to put the phone in the tiny glove-box
on the windshield. the phone bluetooth talks to
the helmet so when i miss a turn "she" tells me to
turn at next exit. while i can see the phone pretty
good i'd rather hear verbal directions and keep my
eyes focused down road. friend got a bar mount
bluetooth speaker that is just loud enough to be
heard at 55mph and he likes that setup for Nav.

Re: road king & back roads of PA

<tflvfv$22juh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=292&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#292

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 19:45:52 -0500
 by: sticks - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 00:45 UTC

On 9/9/2022 11:04 AM, john wrote:
> [...]
> into place and holds it securely. it can pivot the
> angle of the phone which is good for glare. the phone
> is an old Samsung phone yes when i leave it in the mount
> in the sun it overheats.
> the air going by seems to be enough to cool it. as for
> charger i took a lead off the left side aux switch <on
> steering head> and put a water resistant 12v to usb
> charger port and zip tied it to the bar. then use a
> short charger cord to bar mount. if it rains the cord
> is just long enough to put the phone in the tiny glove-box
> on the windshield. the phone bluetooth talks to
> the helmet so when i miss a turn "she" tells me to
> turn at next exit. while i can see the phone pretty
> good i'd rather hear verbal directions and keep my
> eyes focused down road.  friend got a bar mount
> bluetooth speaker that is just loud enough to be
> heard at 55mph and he likes that setup for Nav.

Thanks, John! I went and looked at those kuryakyn mounts and it gets
some good reviews just like yours. I think I'll get one.