As Zeus said to Narcissus, "Watch yourself."

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the BibleMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the BibleDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the BibleJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the BibleDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the BibleErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8 answers: hats and the BibleMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the BiblePete Gayde
 `- Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the BibleMark Brader

1
RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible

<1aGdnck2gfbh3Rv9nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2900&group=rec.games.trivia#2900

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 23:24:28 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 04:24 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I did not write either of these rounds.

* Game 4, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Hats

The questions in this round concern the lost art of millinery.
I have reconstructed the handout, deleted the two decoys that
it originally included in 1998 (as I don't know what they were),
and arranged the round in order of the new images. Please see:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo4/7/hat.jpg

1. This hat's name comes from the French word for an object that
closely resembles it. What is it called?

2. The stiff felt hat in this picture was popularized by the future
King Edward VII when he was still Prince of Wales. Its name
comes from the town in Germany where it was first made.
What is it?

3. Speaking of royalty, the gray top hats worn by the male royals
in this photo are de rigueur for a particular sporting event
held in June of each year. The key word in the event's name
is the same as the hat's name. What is it?

4. What is the function in the millinery trade of this device?

5. And this one? Be specific.

6. This hat, characterized by its deeply dented crown, originated
in the 1870s. However, it didn't receive its current name
until later, from the title of an 1894 novel and the 1895
play adaptation (respectively by George du Maurier and
Paul M. Potter). The same novel also originated the eponym
"Svengali". Name the hat.

7. These hats are from an 1889 catalog. They are all one kind
of hat. What kind?

8. What style of straw hat is being worn by the vast majority of
the men in this photograph?

9. Although her husband left his hat off far too often for American
milliners, Jackie Kennedy's trademark was the brimless, circular
hat shown here. Name it.

10. This hat is characterized by its round, flat crown. Charles
Mingus once said goodbye to one, though he was really referring
to another musician. We won't eat our hats if you know this!
Name the hat.

* Game 4, Round 8 - Literature - The Good (the Bad and the Ugly) Book

The following biblical passages cover the range of Good, Bad, and
Ugly. In each case, name of the book of the Bible that each passage
comes from. Passages are adapted from the King James Version.
Just give the *short-form name of the book*, ignoring any numbered
parts (thus "Samuel", not "1 Samuel"), let alone chapter and verse.

All answers will be drawn from the incomplete list of books on
the handout below, and no answer will be repeated.

OLD TESTAMENT:
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua,
Judges, Ruth, Samuel, Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job,
Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Isaiah,
Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel.

NEW TESTAMENT:
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Corinthians,
Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians,
Thessalonians, Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews,
Revelation.

1. This curse ends the New Testament book describing apocalyptic
monsters and miracles. It shows you what some writers think
of their editors:

If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto
him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man
shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy,
God shall take away his part out of the book of life...

2. This is the opening episode of a historical book. The book's
main character is converted on the Road to Damascus:

And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly
there shined round him a light from heaven: And he fell to
the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him: "Saul, Saul,
why persecutest thou me?"

3. The opening verse of this book has helped define Christian
terminology and doctrine:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God... All things were made by him; and
without him was not anything made that was made.

4. The opening of an Old Testament book concerned with slavery,
liberation, law, and nationhood:

Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, who knew not Joseph.
And he said unto his people, "Behold, the children of Israel
are more and mightier than we: Come, let us deal wisely
with them"... Therefore they did set over them taskmasters...

5. The stories of the early Hebrew patriarchs, including Judah and
his libido, are told in this Old Testament book:

And Judah said unto Onan, "Go in unto thy brother's wife,
and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother." And Onan
knew that the seed should not be his; and... when he went
in unto his brother's wife, he spilled it on the ground...
And the thing which he did displeased the Lord...

6. New Testament instructional and moral writings are contained in
a series of essays and letters, most of which are named after
their intended recipients. Name this one:

It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless,
to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife,
and let every woman have her own husband... It is better
to marry than to burn.

7. This is the opening of one of the last Old Testament historical
books. St. Paul would not be amused:

Now King David was old and stricken in years; and they covered
him with clothes, but he got no heat. Wherefore his servants
said unto him, "Let there be sought for the King a young
virgin... and let her lie in thy bosom, that the King may
get heat."

8. This book, an example of Old Testament wisdom literature, is
attributed to Solomon after he had become old and somewhat
cynical:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose
under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time
to plant, and a time to pluck up... A time to kill, and a
time to heal...

9. The writer of this Old Testament prediction envisioned a peaceful
future. This verse has had a little influence on the Christian
religion and on G.F. Handel's librettist:

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the
government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting
Father, the Prince of Peace.

10. This cautionary story comes from the Old Testament historical
book telling of the wars and troubles that led the Israelites
to ask their prophet to choose a king. (The Philistines were
their longstanding oppressors.)

And the Philistines took the ark of God, and brought it...
unto Gath... And the hand of the Lord was against the city
with a very great destruction: and He smote the men of the
city, both small and great, and they had hemorrhoids in
their secret parts.

(Of course, with divine help like that, who needs a king?)

--
Mark Brader | A computer[']s view of the world is analogous [to]
Toronto | a flashlight in the dark. What they can see, they
| -- M. Valvo

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible

<s65g2q$mhv$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2901&group=rec.games.trivia#2901

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 04:37:46 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 04:37 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Hats

> 1. This hat's name comes from the French word for an object that
> closely resembles it. What is it called?

cloche

> 2. The stiff felt hat in this picture was popularized by the future
> King Edward VII when he was still Prince of Wales. Its name
> comes from the town in Germany where it was first made.
> What is it?

homburg

> 3. Speaking of royalty, the gray top hats worn by the male royals
> in this photo are de rigueur for a particular sporting event
> held in June of each year. The key word in the event's name
> is the same as the hat's name. What is it?

ascot

> 4. What is the function in the millinery trade of this device?

putting a hatband on a hat

> 5. And this one? Be specific.

creating a form of a particular size

> 6. This hat, characterized by its deeply dented crown, originated
> in the 1870s. However, it didn't receive its current name
> until later, from the title of an 1894 novel and the 1895
> play adaptation (respectively by George du Maurier and
> Paul M. Potter). The same novel also originated the eponym
> "Svengali". Name the hat.

trilby

> 7. These hats are from an 1889 catalog. They are all one kind
> of hat. What kind?

baseball caps

> 8. What style of straw hat is being worn by the vast majority of
> the men in this photograph?

boater

> 10. This hat is characterized by its round, flat crown. Charles
> Mingus once said goodbye to one, though he was really referring
> to another musician. We won't eat our hats if you know this!
> Name the hat.

porkpie

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Literature - The Good (the Bad and the Ugly) Book

> 1. This curse ends the New Testament book describing apocalyptic
> monsters and miracles. It shows you what some writers think
> of their editors:

> If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto
> him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man
> shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy,
> God shall take away his part out of the book of life...

Revelation

> 2. This is the opening episode of a historical book. The book's
> main character is converted on the Road to Damascus:

> And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly
> there shined round him a light from heaven: And he fell to
> the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him: "Saul, Saul,
> why persecutest thou me?"

Acts

> 3. The opening verse of this book has helped define Christian
> terminology and doctrine:

> In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
> and the Word was God... All things were made by him; and
> without him was not anything made that was made.

Genesis

> 4. The opening of an Old Testament book concerned with slavery,
> liberation, law, and nationhood:

> Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, who knew not Joseph.
> And he said unto his people, "Behold, the children of Israel
> are more and mightier than we: Come, let us deal wisely
> with them"... Therefore they did set over them taskmasters...

Exodus

> 5. The stories of the early Hebrew patriarchs, including Judah and
> his libido, are told in this Old Testament book:

> And Judah said unto Onan, "Go in unto thy brother's wife,
> and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother." And Onan
> knew that the seed should not be his; and... when he went
> in unto his brother's wife, he spilled it on the ground...
> And the thing which he did displeased the Lord...

Leviticus

> 6. New Testament instructional and moral writings are contained in
> a series of essays and letters, most of which are named after
> their intended recipients. Name this one:

> It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless,
> to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife,
> and let every woman have her own husband... It is better
> to marry than to burn.

Corinthians; Ephesians

> 7. This is the opening of one of the last Old Testament historical
> books. St. Paul would not be amused:

> Now King David was old and stricken in years; and they covered
> him with clothes, but he got no heat. Wherefore his servants
> said unto him, "Let there be sought for the King a young
> virgin... and let her lie in thy bosom, that the King may
> get heat."

Kings

> 8. This book, an example of Old Testament wisdom literature, is
> attributed to Solomon after he had become old and somewhat
> cynical:

> To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose
> under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time
> to plant, and a time to pluck up... A time to kill, and a
> time to heal...

Ecclesiastes

> 9. The writer of this Old Testament prediction envisioned a peaceful
> future. This verse has had a little influence on the Christian
> religion and on G.F. Handel's librettist:

> For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the
> government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
> called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting
> Father, the Prince of Peace.

Isaiah; Ezekiel

> 10. This cautionary story comes from the Old Testament historical
> book telling of the wars and troubles that led the Israelites
> to ask their prophet to choose a king. (The Philistines were
> their longstanding oppressors.)

> And the Philistines took the ark of God, and brought it...
> unto Gath... And the hand of the Lord was against the city
> with a very great destruction: and He smote the men of the
> city, both small and great, and they had hemorrhoids in
> their secret parts.

> (Of course, with divine help like that, who needs a king?)

Samuel

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible

<XnsAD1843915D97gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2902&group=rec.games.trivia#2902

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 05:24:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 05:24 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:1aGdnck2gfbh3Rv9nZ2dnUU7-
UHNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Hats
>
> The questions in this round concern the lost art of millinery.
> I have reconstructed the handout, deleted the two decoys that
> it originally included in 1998 (as I don't know what they were),
> and arranged the round in order of the new images. Please see:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo4/7/hat.jpg
>
> 1. This hat's name comes from the French word for an object that
> closely resembles it. What is it called?

cloche

> 2. The stiff felt hat in this picture was popularized by the future
> King Edward VII when he was still Prince of Wales. Its name
> comes from the town in Germany where it was first made.
> What is it?

homburg

> 3. Speaking of royalty, the gray top hats worn by the male royals
> in this photo are de rigueur for a particular sporting event
> held in June of each year. The key word in the event's name
> is the same as the hat's name. What is it?

derby
> 6. This hat, characterized by its deeply dented crown, originated
> in the 1870s. However, it didn't receive its current name
> until later, from the title of an 1894 novel and the 1895
> play adaptation (respectively by George du Maurier and
> Paul M. Potter). The same novel also originated the eponym
> "Svengali". Name the hat.

trilby
> 8. What style of straw hat is being worn by the vast majority of
> the men in this photograph?

boater

> 10. This hat is characterized by its round, flat crown. Charles
> Mingus once said goodbye to one, though he was really referring
> to another musician. We won't eat our hats if you know this!
> Name the hat.

porkpie hat

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Literature - The Good (the Bad and the Ugly) Book
>
> The following biblical passages cover the range of Good, Bad, and
> Ugly. In each case, name of the book of the Bible that each passage
> comes from. Passages are adapted from the King James Version.
> Just give the *short-form name of the book*, ignoring any numbered
> parts (thus "Samuel", not "1 Samuel"), let alone chapter and verse.
>
> 1. This curse ends the New Testament book describing apocalyptic
> monsters and miracles. It shows you what some writers think
> of their editors:
>
> If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto
> him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man
> shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy,
> God shall take away his part out of the book of life...

Revelation

> 2. This is the opening episode of a historical book. The book's
> main character is converted on the Road to Damascus:
>
> And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly
> there shined round him a light from heaven: And he fell to
> the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him: "Saul, Saul,
> why persecutest thou me?"

Acts

> 3. The opening verse of this book has helped define Christian
> terminology and doctrine:
>
> In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
> and the Word was God... All things were made by him; and
> without him was not anything made that was made.

John

> 4. The opening of an Old Testament book concerned with slavery,
> liberation, law, and nationhood:
>
> Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, who knew not Joseph.
> And he said unto his people, "Behold, the children of Israel
> are more and mightier than we: Come, let us deal wisely
> with them"... Therefore they did set over them taskmasters...

Exodus

> 5. The stories of the early Hebrew patriarchs, including Judah and
> his libido, are told in this Old Testament book:
>
> And Judah said unto Onan, "Go in unto thy brother's wife,
> and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother." And Onan
> knew that the seed should not be his; and... when he went
> in unto his brother's wife, he spilled it on the ground...
> And the thing which he did displeased the Lord...

Genesis

> 6. New Testament instructional and moral writings are contained in
> a series of essays and letters, most of which are named after
> their intended recipients. Name this one:
>
> It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless,
> to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife,
> and let every woman have her own husband... It is better
> to marry than to burn.

Corinthians

> 7. This is the opening of one of the last Old Testament historical
> books. St. Paul would not be amused:
>
> Now King David was old and stricken in years; and they covered
> him with clothes, but he got no heat. Wherefore his servants
> said unto him, "Let there be sought for the King a young
> virgin... and let her lie in thy bosom, that the King may
> get heat."

Kings

> 8. This book, an example of Old Testament wisdom literature, is
> attributed to Solomon after he had become old and somewhat
> cynical:
>
> To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose
> under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time
> to plant, and a time to pluck up... A time to kill, and a
> time to heal...

Ecclesiastes
> 9. The writer of this Old Testament prediction envisioned a peaceful
> future. This verse has had a little influence on the Christian
> religion and on G.F. Handel's librettist:
>
> For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the
> government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
> called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting
> Father, the Prince of Peace.

Isaiah
> 10. This cautionary story comes from the Old Testament historical
> book telling of the wars and troubles that led the Israelites
> to ask their prophet to choose a king. (The Philistines were
> their longstanding oppressors.)
>
> And the Philistines took the ark of God, and brought it...
> unto Gath... And the hand of the Lord was against the city
> with a very great destruction: and He smote the men of the
> city, both small and great, and they had hemorrhoids in
> their secret parts.
>
> (Of course, with divine help like that, who needs a king?)

Judges

--
Joshua (my name, not a guess) Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible

<s65j36$2pc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2903&group=rec.games.trivia#2903

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 22:29:09 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 05:29 UTC

On 4/25/21 9:24 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Hats
>
> The questions in this round concern the lost art of millinery.
> I have reconstructed the handout, deleted the two decoys that
> it originally included in 1998 (as I don't know what they were),
> and arranged the round in order of the new images. Please see:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo4/7/hat.jpg
>
> 1. This hat's name comes from the French word for an object that
> closely resembles it. What is it called?
>
> 2. The stiff felt hat in this picture was popularized by the future
> King Edward VII when he was still Prince of Wales. Its name
> comes from the town in Germany where it was first made.
> What is it?

Homburg

> 3. Speaking of royalty, the gray top hats worn by the male royals
> in this photo are de rigueur for a particular sporting event
> held in June of each year. The key word in the event's name
> is the same as the hat's name. What is it?

Derby

> 4. What is the function in the millinery trade of this device?

shaping the brim

> 5. And this one? Be specific.

stretching the main body of the hat

> 6. This hat, characterized by its deeply dented crown, originated
> in the 1870s. However, it didn't receive its current name
> until later, from the title of an 1894 novel and the 1895
> play adaptation (respectively by George du Maurier and
> Paul M. Potter). The same novel also originated the eponym
> "Svengali". Name the hat.
>
> 7. These hats are from an 1889 catalog. They are all one kind
> of hat. What kind?

kepi

> 8. What style of straw hat is being worn by the vast majority of
> the men in this photograph?

Panama

> 9. Although her husband left his hat off far too often for American
> milliners, Jackie Kennedy's trademark was the brimless, circular
> hat shown here. Name it.

pillbox

> 10. This hat is characterized by its round, flat crown. Charles
> Mingus once said goodbye to one, though he was really referring
> to another musician. We won't eat our hats if you know this!
> Name the hat.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Literature - The Good (the Bad and the Ugly) Book
>
> The following biblical passages cover the range of Good, Bad, and
> Ugly. In each case, name of the book of the Bible that each passage
> comes from. Passages are adapted from the King James Version.
> Just give the *short-form name of the book*, ignoring any numbered
> parts (thus "Samuel", not "1 Samuel"), let alone chapter and verse.
>
> All answers will be drawn from the incomplete list of books on
> the handout below, and no answer will be repeated.
>
> OLD TESTAMENT:
> Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua,
> Judges, Ruth, Samuel, Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job,
> Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Isaiah,
> Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel.
>
> NEW TESTAMENT:
> Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Corinthians,
> Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians,
> Thessalonians, Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews,
> Revelation.
>
> 1. This curse ends the New Testament book describing apocalyptic
> monsters and miracles. It shows you what some writers think
> of their editors:
>
> If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto
> him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man
> shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy,
> God shall take away his part out of the book of life...

Revelation

> 2. This is the opening episode of a historical book. The book's
> main character is converted on the Road to Damascus:
>
> And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly
> there shined round him a light from heaven: And he fell to
> the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him: "Saul, Saul,
> why persecutest thou me?"

Acts

> 3. The opening verse of this book has helped define Christian
> terminology and doctrine:
>
> In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
> and the Word was God... All things were made by him; and
> without him was not anything made that was made.

John

> 4. The opening of an Old Testament book concerned with slavery,
> liberation, law, and nationhood:
>
> Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, who knew not Joseph.
> And he said unto his people, "Behold, the children of Israel
> are more and mightier than we: Come, let us deal wisely
> with them"... Therefore they did set over them taskmasters...

Exodus

> 5. The stories of the early Hebrew patriarchs, including Judah and
> his libido, are told in this Old Testament book:
>
> And Judah said unto Onan, "Go in unto thy brother's wife,
> and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother." And Onan
> knew that the seed should not be his; and... when he went
> in unto his brother's wife, he spilled it on the ground...
> And the thing which he did displeased the Lord...

Judges

> 6. New Testament instructional and moral writings are contained in
> a series of essays and letters, most of which are named after
> their intended recipients. Name this one:
>
> It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless,
> to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife,
> and let every woman have her own husband... It is better
> to marry than to burn.

Galatians

> 7. This is the opening of one of the last Old Testament historical
> books. St. Paul would not be amused:
>
> Now King David was old and stricken in years; and they covered
> him with clothes, but he got no heat. Wherefore his servants
> said unto him, "Let there be sought for the King a young
> virgin... and let her lie in thy bosom, that the King may
> get heat."

Kings

> 8. This book, an example of Old Testament wisdom literature, is
> attributed to Solomon after he had become old and somewhat
> cynical:
>
> To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose
> under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time
> to plant, and a time to pluck up... A time to kill, and a
> time to heal...

Ecclesiastes

(also "Turn Turn Turn" by Pete Seegar)

> 9. The writer of this Old Testament prediction envisioned a peaceful
> future. This verse has had a little influence on the Christian
> religion and on G.F. Handel's librettist:
>
> For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the
> government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
> called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting
> Father, the Prince of Peace.
>
> 10. This cautionary story comes from the Old Testament historical
> book telling of the wars and troubles that led the Israelites
> to ask their prophet to choose a king. (The Philistines were
> their longstanding oppressors.)
>
> And the Philistines took the ark of God, and brought it...
> unto Gath... And the hand of the Lord was against the city
> with a very great destruction: and He smote the men of the
> city, both small and great, and they had hemorrhoids in
> their secret parts.
>
> (Of course, with divine help like that, who needs a king?)

Samuel

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible

<XnsAD18CC3862752Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2904&group=rec.games.trivia#2904

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 20:04:32 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 26 Apr 2021 18:04 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Hats
>
> 10. This hat is characterized by its round, flat crown. Charles
> Mingus once said goodbye to one, though he was really referring
> to another musician. We won't eat our hats if you know this!
> Name the hat.

Porkpie

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Literature - The Good (the Bad and the Ugly) Book
>
> 1. This curse ends the New Testament book describing apocalyptic
> monsters and miracles. It shows you what some writers think
> of their editors:
>
> If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto
> him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man
> shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy,
> God shall take away his part out of the book of life...

Revelation
> 2. This is the opening episode of a historical book. The book's
> main character is converted on the Road to Damascus:
>
> And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly
> there shined round him a light from heaven: And he fell to
> the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him: "Saul, Saul,
> why persecutest thou me?"

Acts
> 3. The opening verse of this book has helped define Christian
> terminology and doctrine:
>
> In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
> and the Word was God... All things were made by him; and
> without him was not anything made that was made.

Genesis
> 4. The opening of an Old Testament book concerned with slavery,
> liberation, law, and nationhood:
>
> Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, who knew not Joseph.
> And he said unto his people, "Behold, the children of Israel
> are more and mightier than we: Come, let us deal wisely
> with them"... Therefore they did set over them taskmasters...

Exodus
> 5. The stories of the early Hebrew patriarchs, including Judah and
> his libido, are told in this Old Testament book:
>
> And Judah said unto Onan, "Go in unto thy brother's wife,
> and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother." And Onan
> knew that the seed should not be his; and... when he went
> in unto his brother's wife, he spilled it on the ground...
> And the thing which he did displeased the Lord...

Leviticus
> 6. New Testament instructional and moral writings are contained in
> a series of essays and letters, most of which are named after
> their intended recipients. Name this one:
>
> It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless,
> to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife,
> and let every woman have her own husband... It is better
> to marry than to burn.

Thessalonians
> 7. This is the opening of one of the last Old Testament historical
> books. St. Paul would not be amused:
>
> Now King David was old and stricken in years; and they covered
> him with clothes, but he got no heat. Wherefore his servants
> said unto him, "Let there be sought for the King a young
> virgin... and let her lie in thy bosom, that the King may
> get heat."

Ruth
> 8. This book, an example of Old Testament wisdom literature, is
> attributed to Solomon after he had become old and somewhat
> cynical:
>
> To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose
> under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time
> to plant, and a time to pluck up... A time to kill, and a
> time to heal...

Proverbs
> 9. The writer of this Old Testament prediction envisioned a peaceful
> future. This verse has had a little influence on the Christian
> religion and on G.F. Handel's librettist:
>
> For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the
> government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
> called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting
> Father, the Prince of Peace.

Jeremiah
> 10. This cautionary story comes from the Old Testament historical
> book telling of the wars and troubles that led the Israelites
> to ask their prophet to choose a king. (The Philistines were
> their longstanding oppressors.)
>
> And the Philistines took the ark of God, and brought it...
> unto Gath... And the hand of the Lord was against the city
> with a very great destruction: and He smote the men of the
> city, both small and great, and they had hemorrhoids in
> their secret parts.
Daniel

RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8 answers: hats and the Bible

<wJ6dnXpo8uRN1Bf9nZ2dnUU7-UnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2905&group=rec.games.trivia#2905

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8 answers: hats and the Bible
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 00:53:20 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 05:53 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Hats

> The questions in this round concern the lost art of millinery.
> I have reconstructed the handout, deleted the two decoys that
> it originally included in 1998 (as I don't know what they were),
> and arranged the round in order of the new images. Please see:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo4/7/hat.jpg

> 1. This hat's name comes from the French word for an object that
> closely resembles it. What is it called?

Cloche. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

In 2004 a similar question (but giving the English translation "bell"
rather than showing an illustration) on a Daily Double late in the
game led to the end of Ken Jennings's 74-game winning streak on
"Jeopardy!": by missing this question he lost his chance to lock up
the game before reaching a "Final Jeopardy!" question that, thanks
to doing his own income tax returns, he also did not get.

> 2. The stiff felt hat in this picture was popularized by the future
> King Edward VII when he was still Prince of Wales. Its name
> comes from the town in Germany where it was first made.
> What is it?

Homburg. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

That's Winston Churchill.

> 3. Speaking of royalty, the gray top hats worn by the male royals
> in this photo are de rigueur for a particular sporting event
> held in June of each year. The key word in the event's name
> is the same as the hat's name. What is it?

Ascot. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. What is the function in the millinery trade of this device?

Measuring a hat (from the inside).

In the original game a slightly different form of the device was shown
and we said it's called an "informer"; I was not able to confirm this
name for any version of it when reconstructing the handout.

> 5. And this one? Be specific.

Stretching (not blocking) a hat. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. This hat, characterized by its deeply dented crown, originated
> in the 1870s. However, it didn't receive its current name
> until later, from the title of an 1894 novel and the 1895
> play adaptation (respectively by George du Maurier and
> Paul M. Potter). The same novel also originated the eponym
> "Svengali". Name the hat.

Trilby. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

That's Leonard Cohen.

> 7. These hats are from an 1889 catalog. They are all one kind
> of hat. What kind?

Baseball caps. (No, those are not képis on the upper left.)
4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. What style of straw hat is being worn by the vast majority of
> the men in this photograph?

Boater (not Panama hat). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Although her husband left his hat off far too often for American
> milliners, Jackie Kennedy's trademark was the brimless, circular
> hat shown here. Name it.

Pillbox. 4 for Dan Tilque.

As you see, President Kennedy did wear a hat on his inauguration day.

> 10. This hat is characterized by its round, flat crown. Charles
> Mingus once said goodbye to one, though he was really referring
> to another musician. We won't eat our hats if you know this!
> Name the hat.

Pork pie. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

That's Gene Hackman as "Popeye" Doyle in "The French Connection".

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Literature - The Good (the Bad and the Ugly) Book

> The following biblical passages cover the range of Good, Bad, and
> Ugly. In each case, name of the book of the Bible that each passage
> comes from. Passages are adapted from the King James Version.
> Just give the *short-form name of the book*, ignoring any numbered
> parts (thus "Samuel", not "1 Samuel"), let alone chapter and verse.

> All answers will be drawn from the incomplete list of books on
> the handout below, and no answer will be repeated.

> OLD TESTAMENT:
> Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua,
> Judges, Ruth, Samuel, Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job,
> Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Isaiah,
> Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel.

> NEW TESTAMENT:
> Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Corinthians,
> Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians,
> Thessalonians, Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews,
> Revelation.

> 1. This curse ends the New Testament book describing apocalyptic
> monsters and miracles. It shows you what some writers think
> of their editors:

> If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto
> him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man
> shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy,
> God shall take away his part out of the book of life...

Revelation [22:18-19]. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 2. This is the opening episode of a historical book. The book's
> main character is converted on the Road to Damascus:

> And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly
> there shined round him a light from heaven: And he fell to
> the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him: "Saul, Saul,
> why persecutest thou me?"

Acts [9:3-4]. 4 for everyone.

> 3. The opening verse of this book has helped define Christian
> terminology and doctrine:

> In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
> and the Word was God... All things were made by him; and
> without him was not anything made that was made.

John [1:1-3]. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

Not Genesis. Even I know that the opening verse of Genesis goes
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

> 4. The opening of an Old Testament book concerned with slavery,
> liberation, law, and nationhood:

> Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, who knew not Joseph.
> And he said unto his people, "Behold, the children of Israel
> are more and mightier than we: Come, let us deal wisely
> with them"... Therefore they did set over them taskmasters...

Exodus [1:8-11]. 4 for everyone.

> 5. The stories of the early Hebrew patriarchs, including Judah and
> his libido, are told in this Old Testament book:

> And Judah said unto Onan, "Go in unto thy brother's wife,
> and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother." And Onan
> knew that the seed should not be his; and... when he went
> in unto his brother's wife, he spilled it on the ground...
> And the thing which he did displeased the Lord...

Genesis [38:8-10]. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. New Testament instructional and moral writings are contained in
> a series of essays and letters, most of which are named after
> their intended recipients. Name this one:

> It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless,
> to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife,
> and let every woman have her own husband... It is better
> to marry than to burn.

[1] Corinthians [7:1-9]. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 7. This is the opening of one of the last Old Testament historical
> books. St. Paul would not be amused:

> Now King David was old and stricken in years; and they covered
> him with clothes, but he got no heat. Wherefore his servants
> said unto him, "Let there be sought for the King a young
> virgin... and let her lie in thy bosom, that the King may
> get heat."

[1] Kings [1:1-2]. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This book, an example of Old Testament wisdom literature, is
> attributed to Solomon after he had become old and somewhat
> cynical:

> To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose
> under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time
> to plant, and a time to pluck up... A time to kill, and a
> time to heal...

Ecclesiastes [3:1-3]. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. The writer of this Old Testament prediction envisioned a peaceful
> future. This verse has had a little influence on the Christian
> religion and on G.F. Handel's librettist:

> For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the
> government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
> called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting
> Father, the Prince of Peace.

Isaiah [9:6]. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible

<s6fenl$470$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2908&group=rec.games.trivia#2908

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 18:16:06 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 23:16 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write either of these rounds.
>
> * Game 4, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Hats
>
> The questions in this round concern the lost art of millinery.
> I have reconstructed the handout, deleted the two decoys that
> it originally included in 1998 (as I don't know what they were),
> and arranged the round in order of the new images. Please see:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo4/7/hat.jpg
>
> 1. This hat's name comes from the French word for an object that
> closely resembles it. What is it called?
>
> 2. The stiff felt hat in this picture was popularized by the future
> King Edward VII when he was still Prince of Wales. Its name
> comes from the town in Germany where it was first made.
> What is it?
>
> 3. Speaking of royalty, the gray top hats worn by the male royals
> in this photo are de rigueur for a particular sporting event
> held in June of each year. The key word in the event's name
> is the same as the hat's name. What is it?
>
> 4. What is the function in the millinery trade of this device?
>
> 5. And this one? Be specific.
>
> 6. This hat, characterized by its deeply dented crown, originated
> in the 1870s. However, it didn't receive its current name
> until later, from the title of an 1894 novel and the 1895
> play adaptation (respectively by George du Maurier and
> Paul M. Potter). The same novel also originated the eponym
> "Svengali". Name the hat.
>
> 7. These hats are from an 1889 catalog. They are all one kind
> of hat. What kind?

Baseball

> 8. What style of straw hat is being worn by the vast majority of
> the men in this photograph?
>
> 9. Although her husband left his hat off far too often for American
> milliners, Jackie Kennedy's trademark was the brimless, circular
> hat shown here. Name it.
>
> 10. This hat is characterized by its round, flat crown. Charles
> Mingus once said goodbye to one, though he was really referring
> to another musician. We won't eat our hats if you know this!
> Name the hat.

Porkpie

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Literature - The Good (the Bad and the Ugly) Book
>
> The following biblical passages cover the range of Good, Bad, and
> Ugly. In each case, name of the book of the Bible that each passage
> comes from. Passages are adapted from the King James Version.
> Just give the *short-form name of the book*, ignoring any numbered
> parts (thus "Samuel", not "1 Samuel"), let alone chapter and verse.
>
> All answers will be drawn from the incomplete list of books on
> the handout below, and no answer will be repeated.
>
> OLD TESTAMENT:
> Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua,
> Judges, Ruth, Samuel, Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job,
> Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Isaiah,
> Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel.
>
> NEW TESTAMENT:
> Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Corinthians,
> Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians,
> Thessalonians, Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews,
> Revelation.
>
> 1. This curse ends the New Testament book describing apocalyptic
> monsters and miracles. It shows you what some writers think
> of their editors:
>
> If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto
> him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man
> shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy,
> God shall take away his part out of the book of life...

Revelation

> 2. This is the opening episode of a historical book. The book's
> main character is converted on the Road to Damascus:
>
> And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly
> there shined round him a light from heaven: And he fell to
> the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him: "Saul, Saul,
> why persecutest thou me?"

Hebrews

> 3. The opening verse of this book has helped define Christian
> terminology and doctrine:
>
> In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
> and the Word was God... All things were made by him; and
> without him was not anything made that was made.

Matthew; John

> 4. The opening of an Old Testament book concerned with slavery,
> liberation, law, and nationhood:
>
> Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, who knew not Joseph.
> And he said unto his people, "Behold, the children of Israel
> are more and mightier than we: Come, let us deal wisely
> with them"... Therefore they did set over them taskmasters...

Exodus

> 5. The stories of the early Hebrew patriarchs, including Judah and
> his libido, are told in this Old Testament book:
>
> And Judah said unto Onan, "Go in unto thy brother's wife,
> and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother." And Onan
> knew that the seed should not be his; and... when he went
> in unto his brother's wife, he spilled it on the ground...
> And the thing which he did displeased the Lord...

Samuel; Ezra

> 6. New Testament instructional and moral writings are contained in
> a series of essays and letters, most of which are named after
> their intended recipients. Name this one:
>
> It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless,
> to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife,
> and let every woman have her own husband... It is better
> to marry than to burn.

Galatians; Romans

> 7. This is the opening of one of the last Old Testament historical
> books. St. Paul would not be amused:
>
> Now King David was old and stricken in years; and they covered
> him with clothes, but he got no heat. Wherefore his servants
> said unto him, "Let there be sought for the King a young
> virgin... and let her lie in thy bosom, that the King may
> get heat."

Proverbs; Isaiah

> 8. This book, an example of Old Testament wisdom literature, is
> attributed to Solomon after he had become old and somewhat
> cynical:
>
> To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose
> under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time
> to plant, and a time to pluck up... A time to kill, and a
> time to heal...

Ecclesiastes

> 9. The writer of this Old Testament prediction envisioned a peaceful
> future. This verse has had a little influence on the Christian
> religion and on G.F. Handel's librettist:
>
> For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the
> government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
> called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting
> Father, the Prince of Peace.

Nehemiah; Ezekiel

> 10. This cautionary story comes from the Old Testament historical
> book telling of the wars and troubles that led the Israelites
> to ask their prophet to choose a king. (The Philistines were
> their longstanding oppressors.)
>
> And the Philistines took the ark of God, and brought it...
> unto Gath... And the hand of the Lord was against the city
> with a very great destruction: and He smote the men of the
> city, both small and great, and they had hemorrhoids in
> their secret parts.
>
> (Of course, with divine help like that, who needs a king?)

Kings; Judges

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8: hats and the Bible

<z6udnV7Na9OD2Bb9nZ2dnUU7-anNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2910&group=rec.games.trivia#2910

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!4.us.feeder.erje.net!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!news.uzoreto.com!news-out.netnews.com!newsin.alt.net!fdcspool2.netnews.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 18:45:34 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 23:45 UTC

If Pete Gayde had posted his answers on time, he would have scored
8 points on Round 7 and 10 on Round 8 and his best-4-out-of-6 interim
score would still be a third-place 89.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "However, 0.02283% failure might be better than 50%
msb@vex.net | failure, depending on your needs." --Norman Diamond