Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCI98 Game 4 Rounds 7-8 answers: hats and the Bible
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 00:53:20 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 05:53 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 1998-02-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write either of these rounds.

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Miscellaneous - Hats

> The questions in this round concern the lost art of millinery.
> I have reconstructed the handout, deleted the two decoys that
> it originally included in 1998 (as I don't know what they were),
> and arranged the round in order of the new images. Please see:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/oo4/7/hat.jpg

> 1. This hat's name comes from the French word for an object that
> closely resembles it. What is it called?

Cloche. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

In 2004 a similar question (but giving the English translation "bell"
rather than showing an illustration) on a Daily Double late in the
game led to the end of Ken Jennings's 74-game winning streak on
"Jeopardy!": by missing this question he lost his chance to lock up
the game before reaching a "Final Jeopardy!" question that, thanks
to doing his own income tax returns, he also did not get.

> 2. The stiff felt hat in this picture was popularized by the future
> King Edward VII when he was still Prince of Wales. Its name
> comes from the town in Germany where it was first made.
> What is it?

Homburg. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

That's Winston Churchill.

> 3. Speaking of royalty, the gray top hats worn by the male royals
> in this photo are de rigueur for a particular sporting event
> held in June of each year. The key word in the event's name
> is the same as the hat's name. What is it?

Ascot. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. What is the function in the millinery trade of this device?

Measuring a hat (from the inside).

In the original game a slightly different form of the device was shown
and we said it's called an "informer"; I was not able to confirm this
name for any version of it when reconstructing the handout.

> 5. And this one? Be specific.

Stretching (not blocking) a hat. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. This hat, characterized by its deeply dented crown, originated
> in the 1870s. However, it didn't receive its current name
> until later, from the title of an 1894 novel and the 1895
> play adaptation (respectively by George du Maurier and
> Paul M. Potter). The same novel also originated the eponym
> "Svengali". Name the hat.

Trilby. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

That's Leonard Cohen.

> 7. These hats are from an 1889 catalog. They are all one kind
> of hat. What kind?

Baseball caps. (No, those are not képis on the upper left.)
4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. What style of straw hat is being worn by the vast majority of
> the men in this photograph?

Boater (not Panama hat). 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Although her husband left his hat off far too often for American
> milliners, Jackie Kennedy's trademark was the brimless, circular
> hat shown here. Name it.

Pillbox. 4 for Dan Tilque.

As you see, President Kennedy did wear a hat on his inauguration day.

> 10. This hat is characterized by its round, flat crown. Charles
> Mingus once said goodbye to one, though he was really referring
> to another musician. We won't eat our hats if you know this!
> Name the hat.

Pork pie. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Erland.

That's Gene Hackman as "Popeye" Doyle in "The French Connection".

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Literature - The Good (the Bad and the Ugly) Book

> The following biblical passages cover the range of Good, Bad, and
> Ugly. In each case, name of the book of the Bible that each passage
> comes from. Passages are adapted from the King James Version.
> Just give the *short-form name of the book*, ignoring any numbered
> parts (thus "Samuel", not "1 Samuel"), let alone chapter and verse.

> All answers will be drawn from the incomplete list of books on
> the handout below, and no answer will be repeated.

> OLD TESTAMENT:
> Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua,
> Judges, Ruth, Samuel, Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job,
> Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Isaiah,
> Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel.

> NEW TESTAMENT:
> Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, Corinthians,
> Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians,
> Thessalonians, Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews,
> Revelation.

> 1. This curse ends the New Testament book describing apocalyptic
> monsters and miracles. It shows you what some writers think
> of their editors:

> If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto
> him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man
> shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy,
> God shall take away his part out of the book of life...

Revelation [22:18-19]. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 2. This is the opening episode of a historical book. The book's
> main character is converted on the Road to Damascus:

> And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly
> there shined round him a light from heaven: And he fell to
> the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him: "Saul, Saul,
> why persecutest thou me?"

Acts [9:3-4]. 4 for everyone.

> 3. The opening verse of this book has helped define Christian
> terminology and doctrine:

> In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
> and the Word was God... All things were made by him; and
> without him was not anything made that was made.

John [1:1-3]. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

Not Genesis. Even I know that the opening verse of Genesis goes
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

> 4. The opening of an Old Testament book concerned with slavery,
> liberation, law, and nationhood:

> Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, who knew not Joseph.
> And he said unto his people, "Behold, the children of Israel
> are more and mightier than we: Come, let us deal wisely
> with them"... Therefore they did set over them taskmasters...

Exodus [1:8-11]. 4 for everyone.

> 5. The stories of the early Hebrew patriarchs, including Judah and
> his libido, are told in this Old Testament book:

> And Judah said unto Onan, "Go in unto thy brother's wife,
> and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother." And Onan
> knew that the seed should not be his; and... when he went
> in unto his brother's wife, he spilled it on the ground...
> And the thing which he did displeased the Lord...

Genesis [38:8-10]. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. New Testament instructional and moral writings are contained in
> a series of essays and letters, most of which are named after
> their intended recipients. Name this one:

> It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless,
> to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife,
> and let every woman have her own husband... It is better
> to marry than to burn.

[1] Corinthians [7:1-9]. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 7. This is the opening of one of the last Old Testament historical
> books. St. Paul would not be amused:

> Now King David was old and stricken in years; and they covered
> him with clothes, but he got no heat. Wherefore his servants
> said unto him, "Let there be sought for the King a young
> virgin... and let her lie in thy bosom, that the King may
> get heat."

[1] Kings [1:1-2]. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This book, an example of Old Testament wisdom literature, is
> attributed to Solomon after he had become old and somewhat
> cynical:

> To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose
> under heaven. A time to be born, and a time to die; a time
> to plant, and a time to pluck up... A time to kill, and a
> time to heal...

Ecclesiastes [3:1-3]. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. The writer of this Old Testament prediction envisioned a peaceful
> future. This verse has had a little influence on the Christian
> religion and on G.F. Handel's librettist:

> For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the
> government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be
> called Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the everlasting
> Father, the Prince of Peace.

Isaiah [9:6]. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

Click here to read the complete article